• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - June 2014

Frolow

Banned
Are Virtual Console titles tied to the Nintendo ID? So when I buy something on Wii VC and it later becomes available on Wii U, will it be playable on the U as well without an additional purchase?

Nope, you have to pay an upgrade fee if you want to do that.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wakeda (CIRCLE Ent. | €1.99 | £1.79 until 06/26, then €2.99 | £2.50)
World Conqueror 3D (CIRCLE Ent. | €3.99 | £3.59 until 06/26, then €4.99 | £4.49)
Angry Bunnies (Cypronia | €4.85 | £4.49 until 06/31, then €6.49 | £5.99)
Bubble Pop World (Cypronia | €3.74 | £3.35 until 06/31, then €4.99 | £4.49)
Fractured Soul (Endgame Studios | €3.99 | £3.59 until 07/03, then €7.99 | £7.19)
Monster Shooter (Gamelion | €2.10 | £1.99 until 07/03, then €4.00 | £3.20)

Anything decent here?

zroid

Banned
World Conqueror 3D (CIRCLE Ent. | €3.99 | £3.59 until 06/26, then €4.99 | £4.49)
Fractured Soul (Endgame Studios | €3.99 | £3.59 until 07/03, then €7.99 | £7.19)

Anything decent here?

I think Fractured Soul is supposed to be pretty good. I haven't played it though. There's a demo!

Bummer, Pier Solar HD has been delayed because Watermelon failed to meet Microsoft certification (boooooo) which impacted version parity for releasing on other platforms including Wii U:

Edit: Yikes, didn't know Nintendo Enthusiast was a banned site.

terrisus

Are Virtual Console titles tied to the Nintendo ID? So when I buy something on Wii VC and it later becomes available on Wii U, will it be playable on the U as well without an additional purchase?

Nope, you have to pay an upgrade fee if you want to do that.

You'll be able to do a system transfer and play all of your Wii VC games on the Wii U in Wii mode on the television, completely for free.

If there is/will be a Wii U version of it and you want that as well, though - then, yeah, upgrade fee for that.

Bummer, Pier Solar HD has been delayed because Watermelon failed to meet Microsoft certification (boooooo) which impacted version parity for releasing on other platforms including Wii U

Delayed on a Nintendo system because of an issue with Microsoft? That's absurd.

GRW810

Anything decent here?
Get Fractured Soul. Not just you, everyone reading this. It's a brilliant game and at that price it might be the best value for money on the eShop outside of Gunman Clive.

Looks great, very Metroid Prime vibe to the environment. Plays well, controls tightly. Uses dual screen cleverly and has some fantastic level design.

Cannot recommend Fractured Soul enough at full price. On sale it's a bargain.

Socreges

Banned
When do they announce what the Club Nintendo Rewards will be for July? Got lots of coins to spend, but nothing to spend them on....

I bought Shovel Knight, How To Survive and Unepic on WiiU today. All play well off-tv.

WiiU is like the ultimate portable that I keep at home...love it!

rjc571

Banned
Bummer, Pier Solar HD has been delayed because Watermelon failed to meet Microsoft certification (boooooo) which impacted version parity for releasing on other platforms including Wii U:

Arrggh, if it's only the Xbox version holding them back, they should just cancel that version and go ahead with the release of every other version of the game. I mean, would they even lose a single sale by doing so? I doubt there's a person on the planet who wants to buy the game for their Xbox 360 but doesn't own a Dreamcast, Wii U, PS3, PS4, or a computer or Android device that they could buy the game for instead. Developers are only hurting themselves by continuing to support Microsoft and their bullshit platform parity policy.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Arrggh, if it's only the Xbox version holding them back, they should just cancel that version and go ahead with the release of every other version of the game. I mean, would they even lose a single sale by doing so? I doubt there's a person on the planet who wants to buy the game for their Xbox 360 but doesn't own a Dreamcast, Wii U, PS3, PS4, or a computer or Android device that they could buy the game for instead. Developers are only hurting themselves by continuing to support Microsoft and their bullshit platform parity policy.

Do people not realize that the reason they're holding back the other versions is to see whether the bug Microsoft caught in the 360 version is in the other versions? It's not that bad. Plus so many titles are releasing on Wii U already these days, especially on July 3rd lol.

Weng

Hmmm their blog entry doesn't mention anything about parity with MS. They just said they want to make sure the other versions don't suffer from the same or a similar problem.

Microsoft already evaluated Pier Solar as well but we failed some internal requirements on the certification and we're correcting them for the next submission. This also impacts Wii U and PlayStation(s) submissions since we want to send it as clean as possible so that we don't get another failed certification.
Of course this doesn't mean the parity thing couldn't be the true reason.

While I don't think a parity policy is very helpful for indie developers, an indie studio can't afford to ignore an install base like the 360's. Especially after they already invested the time to create a 360 version that's nearly finished. I think there's also some Kickstarter backers that wouldn't be amused if there wasn't a 360 version.

Hmmm their blog entry doesn't mention anything about parity with MS. They just said they want to make sure the other versions don't suffer from the same or a similar problem.

Of course this doesn't mean the parity thing couldn't be the true reason.

While I don't think a parity policy is very helpful for indie developers, an indie studio can't afford to ignore an install base like the 360's. Especially after they already invested the time to create a 360 version that's nearly finished. I think there's also some Kickstarter backers that wouldn't be amused if there wasn't a 360 version.

360 version has already been canned for good.

Nintendo Life has a story on the Pier Solar delay. Sounds like they anticipate a minor delay, there will now be at least one new ending, a better save system and Wii U version will have built in achievements:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...sion_will_now_come_with_built_in_achievements

Certification process throws up some issues

WaterMelon's rebooted 16-bit RPG Pier Solar and the Great Architects HD was due for release earlier this year, but the developer has now revealed that a last-minute snag in the certification process has resulted in a minor delay.

Apparently it's Microsoft which is kicking up a stink — it rejected the game due to "internal requirements". Rather than stagger the launch, WaterMelon is now holding back all versions of the game (that's over 10 iterations) until such requirements have been met. According to the studio, the fixes are minor and shouldn't take long to action.

It's not all bad news, though — to make the additional wait a little more bearable, WaterMelon has gone into detail regarding some of the bonus features which have been skilfully worked in the HD remaster. A new ending has been confirmed — and the possibility of secret endings teased — and the save system has been reworked to make it more agreeable. Graphical filters also make the cut, as do built-in achievements for the Wii U edition of the game.

WaterMelon will announce the new release date once all versions of the game are approved.

Kater

Banned
Saw a lot of trailers and gameplay in the last few weeks from Guacamelee Super Turbo Championship Edition, now I'm pretty excited for the game.

Oh, and has anyone played the Wii U version of Another World 20th Years Anniversary? I will have some eShop credit left - enough to buy this game as well - so I am tempted to buy it. What are your impressions of the game?

tolkir

Cross-buy is coming.

cross-buydzs7u.png

JoeM86

This week, in Europe (since there's no July thread yet)

Wii U
Armillo €6.00 / £5.50
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition €13.99 / £11.99
Flowerworks HD: Follie’s Adventure €5.00 / £4.00

Wii U Virtual Console
Adventure Island - NES - €4.99 / £3.49 - This is the US version of the game.

3DS
Pokémon Art Academy €34.99 / £29.99
Chibi-Robo! Let’s Go, Photo! €12.99 / £11.69
Quell Reflect €3.99 / £3.49
Squids Odyssey €12.99 / £9.99

=========
Price Reductions

Wii U
Kung Fu Rabbit – €2.49 / £2.19 until July 10th
Armillo - €4.50 / £4.00 until July 24th
Flowerworks HD: Follie’s Adventure – €2.50 / £2.00 until July 31st

3DS
Kung Fu Rabbit – €2.49 / £2.19 until July 10th
Tappingo – €1.99 / £1.69 / CHF2.69 until July 17th
Doodle Jump Adventures – €12.99 / £9.99 / CHF16.00 until July 17th

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Have we seen any type of cross buy implementation before?

Nope, but they offered a cross-promotion with Pushmo World just few days ago, after the "budget" integration started with the 3DS NNIND expansion. So, they are/were working in this direction.
I don't know if they'll offer a "real" account system within this generation (aka profile not bonded to the HW), but they are moving in that direction pretty clearly

L~A

Cross-buy is coming.

cross-buydzs7u.png

To be fair, the "system" has been there a while with the "buy this game, get ??% off this other game" promotion. The big difference being it's the first time we get a full discount.

Kinda sad it's an indie dev., and not Nintendo themselves, being the first to offer cross-buy on their own consoles...

Oddduck

This week, in Europe (since there's no July thread yet)

Wii U
Armillo €6.00 / £5.50
Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition €13.99 / £11.99
Flowerworks HD: Follie’s Adventure €5.00 / £4.00

NintendoEverything and GoNintendo reporting differently on Armillo price.

Armillo – Introductory price of €4.50 / £4.00 / CHF6.50 until July 24th

Edit: Whoops, I didn't look at the promotions section. Sorry about that!

DarkTom

Oh, and has anyone played the Wii U version of Another World 20th Years Anniversary? I will have some eShop credit left - enough to buy this game as well - so I am tempted to buy it. What are your impressions of the game?

Yes it's great. That was the first time I played the game, it's really cool but has two major issues. It's very short, about 3 hours. No problem for me but it has to be mentionned. And it can be frustrating some times, mostly because I found some puzzles illogical.

Apart from that, graphics, sounds, atmosphere and scenario are awesome.

I think this is one of the game you are proud to say you have gone through, clearly a milestone in the media.

DarkTom

I like this policy with cheaper prices at launch.

Yes. In this time where digital games have regular sales, early adopters can feel themselves screwed, almost "betrayed".
With discounted launch prices, their support is rewarded.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yes. In this time where digital games have regular sales, early adopters can feel themselves screwed, almost "betrayed".
With discounted launch prices, their support is rewarded.

I like it too. Is this something commong among all the platforms?

Katsuragi

The Squids Odyssey cross buy promotion will be EU only (at least for now) according to developer Emeric Thoa:
"We are very excited by this promotion as it's the first time this happens - as far as I know. It's a proof that Nintendo is making efforts in giving more control to the developer on its pricing and promotions. I'm glad that our players will be able to play on 3DS and WiiU for the price of one game. It's a shame that it's only in Europe yet but hopefully this cross buy operation will be appreciated and the technical contraints that prevented it to happen in the US will be fixed."

Source: NintenDaan

I believe Wakeda is a clone of DSiWare game Art Style: NEMREM (aka Art Style: ZENGAGE (US) / Art Style: SOMNIUM (JPN) ). 2D Rubik's cube is the gameplay if that makes sense. Production qualities are a bit low (especially when compared to the Art Style game) but there are quite a lot of puzzles.

I believe there is a demo out (if you have an NNID linked) that contains about a third of the game.

It's a shame that it's only in Europe yet but hopefully this cross buy operation will be appreciated and the technical contraints that prevented it to happen in the US will be fixed."

Wonder if this lines up with what I said earlier about NOA never doing a cross buy promotion. Before anyone mentions fire emblem and SMT, that was from club nintendo and not NNID.

daydream

Banned
FWIW, apparently the 3DS port of KFR is inferior to the Wii U version. So definitely get the Wii U version!

Thanks, yeah, was planning to get the U version. :D Hoping for a fun, little platformer à la Super Little Acorns for 3DS. Love the cartoon look in the trailers.

Top Bottom