• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Calls Out Countries RE: Piracy

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
wow i can't believe brazilians are bitching when they got both the motherfucking Master System III and its awesome follow-up last year, the Master System 3
dpvjer.jpg
2w583l0.jpg

Metal Gear?! said:
Japan should get lax with enforcement of protection of copyrighted works from Mexico, Brazil, etc.

See how they like it.

First - Nintendo =! Japan

Second - What media, exactly, does Brazil and Mexico export to Japan in any quantity worth giving a rat's hiney about?

TunaLover

squicken said:
What's different about Spain compared to other Western European countries that makes piracy a problem? I know the south of Europe is a not as affluent, by why just Spain?

Waninkoko

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Brannon said:
Why the hell would they cost that much in Brazil? Is it the taxes?
Read my message four messages before yours, it explains quite well...

AstroLad said:
wow i can't believe brazilians are bitching when they got both the motherfucking Master System III and its awesome follow-up last year, the Master System 3
While it is all kinds of awesome that we get those, the fact that they cost almost the same as a Wii costs in America (Those cost around 166 usd, the Wii costs around 250 usd), or pretty much the same price as a DS... It's kinda annoying...

freddy

Banned
Nintendo wants the US to play policeman more? STFU Nintendo, don't encourage it.

MEXICO: Anti-piracy actions by the Mexican government in 2008 were wholly inadequate. The Mexican government must recognize the seriousness of the piracy problem

I think the Mexican government has bigger fish to fry atm nintendo.

Vinci

Danish
freddy said:
Nintendo wants the US to play policeman more? STFU Nintendo, don't encourage it.

I highly doubt we're going to get all up in arms over Nintendo's issues.

Well, maybe if we ever get Disaster ...

iFootball

Kandrick said:
...I know alot of people here that only buy the "hackable" consoles.

sooooo true... I strongly believe that the 360 'success' in Mexico is mainly driven by how easy you can play pirated copies on it (and secondly, a lower price of course)...

If you could only see how a pirate market looks like in Mexico... it's sad in some way... virtually thousands and thousands of pirate copies of 360 & PS2 games stacked in clear plastic envelopes with photocopied boxart... that sell for around $3.50 dlls max...

but again, this of course this is caused by huge economic differences between countries... they can't expect to sell a $60 dlls game for $80 dlls in Mexico, when the minimum wage there is currently $3.65 dlls....

legal gaming is simply a big luxury for just a few in Mexico...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
freddy said:
Actually, on a second glance, I'm not sure it's saying that at all. But it is worded strangely.

At any rate, Nintendo has every right to try and protect their own property, but sometimes they just go about it in weird ways. Doing things like blocking the Wii Shop Channel on modded systems probably prevents people from buying things from the Shop Channel more than it discourages people from modding their systems, for example.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bryehn said:
*drools

I'd pay good money for that SEGA.
yeah i really like the look of the master system 3 actually one of my favorite looking consoles even with the sonic thing which somehow works on there

iFootball

drizzle said:
... For any Brazilian that wants to follow where the law is stuck now... we play taxes over taxes (that's why everything is so expensive when imported to Brazil)...THAT's what's wrong with this country, not piracy.

No Sir, I disagree... people in countries like ours (BR, MX) should also take responsability for this cultural difference... we should be aware that piracy is simply wrong regardless of how bad our goverments and their laws & taxes are... we're just looking for excuses to cover our ilegal acts... the little kid who bought a pirated copy with his parents approval might one day become president and I'm sure he won't have any problem creating stupid laws & taxes that only benefit a few...

but then again that is a whole different topic....

/rant

bryehn

Kandinsky said:
Nobody cares about hacking the ps3, it really is the new gamecube.

GameCube got hacked. Got hacked good.

The reason no one "cares" to hack the PS3 is that they already allow Linux to be installed, they let users swap out their own hard drives and offer a game sharing service.

I'm sure there's someone working on it, but Sony essentially took away a few big reasons hackers attempt to break a system in the first place.

itxaka

Defeatist
bryehn said:
SPAIN: The availability of game-copying devices in Spain is alarming. Internet sites offering game-copying devices and illegal Nintendo software are widespread and must be addressed. Nintendo asks that the Spanish government implement laws protecting the creative copyright industry and enact laws against Internet piracy. Nintendo considers education a priority in its fight against piracy in the European Union. Customs authorities play an important role in enforcing intellectual property rights, and Nintendo is seeing positive signs in this area.

Lol. Fuck off nintendo, "game copiers" are legal here and we have the rigth to make our legal backups by law. LAW, do you understand that?

I want the goverment to change the laws to, so I can masturbate in the street in front of children! It's for my rigths!

Fuck off again. We pay already the piracy tax almost on everything digital, take your share from that. And we are the ones called pirates....

Nintendo is pleased about recent steps taken by the Spanish National Police against distributors of game copiers.

lol again. Those guys are not charged with everything. The police love to do things like that and call this things "massive operation against piracy" while it's not true. Stop pressing the police to do actions like that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
AstroLad said:
dpvjer.jpg
2w583l0.jpg

wooooha

is there any online store that sell these sex stuff ?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
carvasd said:
No Sir, I disagree... people in countries like ours (BR, MX) should also take responsability for this cultural difference... we should be aware that piracy is simply wrong regardless of how bad our goverments and their laws & taxes are... we're just looking for excuses to cover our ilegal acts... the little kid who bought a pirated copy with his parents approval might one day become president and I'm sure he won't have any problem creating stupid laws & taxes that only benefit a few...

but then again that is a whole different topic..../rant

I agree that piracy is a wrong thing, I agree that it's a cultural problem.

Except that, i can talk about when the Master System and the Mega Drive were officially distributed down here, in Brazil. The amount of people that would buy pirated carts was minute. Everybody went to actual stores and bought the actual games that were available officially down here.

You simply CAN'T do that now. The games are not up for sale. I, personally, only have an xbox360 (i can't afford the other consoles and keep a gaming legit gaming habit on all of them). I'm not rich, as somebody mentioned earlier in this thread, and I don't think you need to be rich to live on official games. I import most of my games from the United States.

I usually don't pay import taxes on them. I don't know why, the fiscalization is not that good down here over mail, so i can get by. When a game that i want is released down here (Like, for instance, Halo 3, Gears 2 and so on) I try to buy locally.

I'm doing everything right. Or am i? Most of the games i buy off ebay/the sell thread on gaf are used games. No company likes the used games market. I don't pay import taxes on them (They're usually 60%, but most of the times you don't get taxed, out of sheer luck). I'd gladly pay DECENT taxes if the game was officially available down here, and i'd buy it brand new. but it's simply not possible, because the games are not for sale.

Sure, I can buy original GTA4 on a store, but it's a imported copy. A company imported it (paid all taxes) and then is charging extra on top. Which usually means that a copy of GTA4 (Legally Imported) costs 95 USD, while Gears 2 (Oficially Distributed by Microsoft Brazil) costs 73usd.

Want another nice example? Street Fighter IV. I can't buy it in Brazil. No matter what. Nobody imported it oficially yet, Capcom doesn't distribute games down here, and Microsoft doesn't distribute that particular game down here. I can either: Legally import it myself, paying up to 60% taxes, or legally import it and not pay any taxes (if i'm lucky). Then, i'll have to wait for the game to arrive at my house (as opposed to just going out today to a mall and buying it).

People rather pirate than go through all of that. It's not the right thing to do, but hell, i can understand it.

Kandinsky

drizzle said:
Except that, i can talk about when the Master System and the Mega Drive were officially distributed down here, in Brazil. The amount of people that would buy pirated carts was minute. Everybody went to actual stores and bought the actual games that were available officially down here.
Well a pirated cart costed almost the same as a legit one.

I must say, im glad that Chile is not on their list:lol

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
itxaka said:
Lol. Fuck off nintendo, "game copiers" are legal here and we have the rigth to make our legal backups by law. LAW, do you understand that?

I want the goverment to change the laws to, so I can masturbate in the street in front of children! It's for my rigths!

Fuck off again. We pay already the piracy tax almost on everything digital, take your share from that. And we are the ones called pirates....
loser-1.jpg

Dang, you might wanna resize that bitch.

iFootball

drizzle said:
...People rather pirate than go through all of that. It's not the right thing to do, but hell, i can understand it.

this 'mentality' is exactly the problem... even if it's complicated, or even expensive to get the games you want, it is still not enough to excuse yourself from piracy... that's the cultural problem... we're willing to excuse piracy, or tax evasion (which, btw... even if its unfair to pay such a high tax... it's still ilegal)...

Taker666

Maybe Nintendo should call out Google ads.....there's an ad selling pirated DS games in a multicart (from a UK based company) on this very page.

pr0cs

I'm surprised they haven't complained earlier. Considering how many DS etc are out in the wild I expect them to sell a lot more software. yes I realize that they're usually top of the charts but considering how many of the units they actually sell I think a lot of people are using them for piracy.
craigslist in my area it's rare not to see 3-4 posts about R4 devices and cards full of games for dirt cheap.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Isn't this more focused on distribution from these countries to others - seizures by customs, border control etc. I doubt they care that much about the markets in the countries listed (at the moment) but these countries are the biggest suppliers of hardware mods and counterfeit software to markets that they do care about ie Japan, US, UK.

P90

Tormentoso said:
My god the company making the most money since launch is the one that complain the most.

I'm sure Barney Frank and Barrack taking note. They could bail out Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac with NOA's profits. 'jus "Spreadin' the wealth around". ;)

Burai

shitonmychest57
carvasd said:
this 'mentality' is exactly the problem... even if it's complicated, or even expensive to get the games you want, it is still not enough to excuse yourself from piracy... that's the cultural problem... we're willing to excuse piracy, or tax evasion (which, btw... even if its unfair to pay such a high tax... it's still ilegal)...

That's easy to say when you're living a relatively easy life in a rich country. But the world is shades of grey and the people who live in it are also. Who the fuck are you to tell people how they should live their lives outside of the jurisdiction of wherever it is you live?

Atreides

squicken said:
What's different about Spain compared to other Western European countries that makes piracy a problem? I know the south of Europe is a not as affluent, by why just Spain?

We have about the same prices than the rest of Europe, but we have lower salaries on average. That's basically the answer.

Salmonax

Burai said:
That's easy to say when you're living a relatively easy life in a rich country. But the world is shades of grey and the people who live in it are also. Who the fuck are you to tell people how they should live their lives outside of the jurisdiction of wherever it is you live?
We're hardly talking about stealing a loaf of bread to feed your family here.

I'm really not sure why Nintendo bothered mentioning Spain. As mentioned not only does the country have a specific "piracy/blank media" tax for these purposes, but the bigger issue is that the DMCA is only applicable to the United States. It's currently legal for personal backup device usage in Spain.

In sum: Nintendo can eat it.

Neo C.

Vinci said:
Yeah, good luck with that whole China thing. They even steal their own products.
At least the chinese government will fight against piracy, when the chinese companies take too much and too long damage. Foreign products? No interest.

lupinko

squicken said:

Angry about the Spanish Olympic Basketball team photos? I dunno. :lol

iFootball

Burai said:

it seems that it's also easy for you to question me when you don't even know where I'm from, or any other facts of my life that give basis to my opinion...

on the other hand, I believe it's simpler to distinguish between what's good and bad when talking about Games Piracy (worldwide... no jurisdiction here)....

Salmonax said:

exactly... we're talking about an entertainment format, so let's chill out

soldat7

Totobeni said:
...and DSi already hacked too.

If the DSi has already been hacked then they should delay the release of the DSi until they make it secure. Or maybe it's too late for that. Better luck designing the DS2 with better security features....

Zertez

bryehn said:
"It is important for parents to note that if users of circumvention devices are children, they may be exposed to unsuitable content downloaded from the Internet and played on their Nintendo systems," said Jodi Daugherty, Nintendo of America's senior director of anti-piracy.
I love this line. It seems like Nintendo is saying to parents, we know your kids steal and you dont care about their stealing, but if they steal they may see a boob in the process and that is the bigger concern. Sad thing is I can see some parents not caring about their kids stealing, but getting upset because they dl a game with sex in it.

Atreides

Dragona Akehi said:
I'm really not sure why Nintendo bothered mentioning Spain. As mentioned not only does the country have a specific "piracy/blank media" tax for these purposes, but the bigger issue is that the DMCA is only applicable to the United States. It's currently legal for personal backup device usage in Spain.

In sum: Nintendo can eat it.

That tax doesn't apply to software. Nintendo doesn't get any money for that.

MisterHero

bryehn said:
Funny that this doesn't mention their own ineptitude at keeping their systems secure...

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Funny how? Oh, we're blaming the publishers for piracy still. If there's too much DRM on software, it's the industry's fault. If there's too little DRM, it's the industry's fault. If the DRM is just right, well, they weren't going to buy it anyway because the game sucks and is kind of short so it's not a lost sale.

I agree with ShoNuff.

Tormentoso said:
My god the company making the most money since launch is the one that complain the most.

It's probably because a lot of other companies don't say anything about their international rights, lest their PR suffer the wrath of their "fans".

Along as being a "complainer" Nintendo has been pretty-proactive in Japan and other regions. They are doing something about it. There was a thread some time back where some people said that Nintendo didn't have the right to do it.

So what are they supposed to do, both hardware and software can be circumvented. They tried dealing with storage mediums that were less common and thus more expensive to duplicate (for both pirates and themselves, unfortunately).

Burai

shitonmychest57
Salmonax said:

No we're not.

But what I'm saying is, if where I live there's no way to buy consoles and games legitimately, or if I'd have to go without food for a month in order to buy a game due to ridiculous taxation, but I can go to a market to buy pirated games for next-to-nothing and the police turn a total blind eye to this, what am I supposed to do? Base my decisions on the moral code of someone who has access to a lot of disposable income in a country where games are ten-a-penny?

Would I live my life based on the laws and values of the Chinese, for example? Would I have liked to have seen my youngest sister left at a dump to be eaten by wild dogs because my other sister and I filled our family's quota and to keep a third would be socially irresponsible?

Of course not. So why the hell should we force our values on them? This is a global market and sometimes parts of the globe just don't fit the mould.

The Hermit

BRAZIL: Federal anti-piracy actions are not reducing piracy in Brazil, and local enforcement efforts are weak. Efforts to prosecute for piracy are virtually nonexistent. Customs and border control agents failed to seize a single shipment of Nintendo video game products in Brazil in 2008. Internet piracy is increasing with no legal infrastructure in place to respond to the threat it poses to rights holders. High tariffs and taxes also constitute market barriers for legitimate video game products.

THIS ,THIS FUCKING THIS!!!

If Nintendo manages to lower the exportation taxes here (about 60% of the original price) than I can assure the piracy will go down.

EDIT: I´ll quote drizzle´s post because it was the last post of the first page and its very informative.

drizzle said:
That's the main problem with Brazil. Videogames fall into the gambling bracket of taxes. ANY Game has a 150% tax added to it. No wonder nobody sells their stuff down here (only Microsoft, but the prices are absurd and they only release games that Microsoft itself publishes).

All the problems listed on that press release are pretty much because of this Tariff. If I legally import a Wii to my house, i'll pay, at best, 60% taxes. If nintendo decides to sell their console here, they'll have to pay 150% taxes, and those taxes will obviously be passed on customers.

Internet piracy happens everywhere and i don't see how you can prevent/punish it. What you have to do is stop modchips (which, again, comes a funny story: A Wii WITH a modchip is CHEAPER than a Wii without it. Mostly because Wii with modchips come from Paraguay, where there's little to no border fiscalization, while unmodded wiis come from the United States, where there's a lot of fiscalization).

Brazil has to do something about the retardness of it's taxes. Nintendo is the only company that's, apparently, bitching abotu it to the government. Microsoft doesn't say anything, they just pass the tax to the customers, and Sony doesn't give a rats ass about Brazil.

There's a proposed law to change in which bracket videogames fall on the taxing, and taking into consideration how the president's son owns a game-related company (mostly about cellphone games), you'd think the law would go quickly through the bureaucracy and get accepted. That's not what's happening tho, that particular law is going around the senate for the past 2 years.

For any Brazilian that wants to follow where the law is stuck now, you can always go to http://www.camara.gov.br/Sileg/Prop_Detalhe.asp?id=343613

Edit: Reading about this, i found another piece of information that i have to share. Down here, we play taxes over taxes (that's why everything is so expensive when imported to Brazil). One of the Taxes charged (called IPI) is 50% on VideoGames, and 20% on VideoPoker machines. THAT's what's wrong with this country, not piracy.

Fewr

Burai said:
if where I live there's no way to buy consoles and games legitimately, or if I'd have to go without food for a month in order to buy a game due to ridiculous taxation.
Hmm there are dd services such as steam that offer games at affordable prices.
There's XBLA and the Wii Shop too.

alterno69

Banned
Well as a mexican gamer i think Nintendo is partially to blame, you know there's a problem when the cheapest console to manufacture is more expensive
than an Xbox 360 and the games follow the same path. MS has it right here in mexico i think, the games they publish are always the cheapest out of the 3 consoles
, still more expensive than in the US go figure and they also launch their games the same day they do in the US which is a big factor or people to pirate sometimes.

Nintendo games are usually the most expensive out of the 3 companies and a Wii sells for around $400 USD when you can buy a 360 for less than $300.

I used to buy pirate games, mainly Winning Eleven games on the PS2 when they werent released in America or were released at a much later date, that was years ago and i still managed to own over 60 original PS2 games. Today i own a 360 and a PS3 and 0 pirate games.

Piracy is huge in mexico and it's sold right on the street for all to see, i'm sure most police men buy pirate movies every day as well as music Cd's cause it's just so openly done by everybody that people just don't think of it as something wrong.
Personally i buy everything at retail or import from the US but of course i'm in the minority here but still it's not only a money issue, those with the money to buy a console these days sure have enough money to buy at least a couple of games a year.

Top Bottom