• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

News Nintendo acquires Next Level Games

GeorgPrime

Bonus Member
Jan 9, 2020

Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/nintendo-acquires-next-level-games

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/210105e.pdf

Luigis Mansion 3 was awesome :) great buy

Leyasu

Apr 25, 2014
I wonder how many independent studios are going to get acquired in the next few years

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Jezkin

Sub Boss

Mar 6, 2013
Good acquisition for them. Swimming in cash right now and in need of a constant stream of content which was sadly poor in 2020. Content gaps need to be managed a bit better.
I doubt this acquisition will change much, as NLG has been already making games exclusively for Nintendo for some time, but good news nonetheless 🤭

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Knitted Knight

Sub Boss

Mar 6, 2013
Yeah that's one of the many things I don't understand about Nintendo. If they set up or bought about 10 studios with their infinite money it would be so good for their schedule. But nope.
They always say they are afraid of talent leaving the studio inmediatly after an acquisition

Tbf many developers left Retro Studios after only one game, including designers even the director of Prime i think.

Now i imagine it must be quite the job to manage Retro for Metroid Prime 4, many people left since the Prime1 days, others have been only making DK platformers, they are filling it with developers that worked on HALO, COD and i think even the new GoW

Neff

Feb 6, 2012
UK
Luigi's Mansion 3 undoubtedly swung it. Next Level Games achieved the impossible with that game- it looks, sounds and feels like a genuine first party Nintendo product. The strong sales and glowing word of mouth are entirely deserved.

K' Dash

Sep 7, 2006
Luigi's Mansion 3 undoubtedly swung it. Next Level Games achieved the impossible with that game- it looks, sounds and feels like a genuine first party Nintendo product. The strong sales and glowing word of mouth are entirely deserved.

Luigi's Mansion is a good game in dire need of new combat mechanics.

• Empathy
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

Moogle11

Banned
Feb 7, 2020
Logical purchase. Really enjoying Luigi's Mansion 3 which I finally got around to buying and starting while traveling around the holidays.

Shaqazooloo

Gold Member
Nov 3, 2018
Canada

Last month, Nintendo announced that it is acquiring Next Level Games. President Shuntaro Furukawa commented on the move in an interview with Nikkei, and also discussed acquisitions in general.

Here’s our translation:
In January, you announced the acquisition of a Canadian game studio.
They were a longtime development partner of ours, and to increase the overall quality and speed of development, we decided it would be better for them to operate as a subsidiary studio. It’s not a case of us simply wanting more development resources – I don’t think simply scaling up production like that actually adds value to Nintendo products.

Last edited: