• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo acquires Next Level Games

GeorgPrime

Banned
TQ02KnC.png

Source: https://www.gematsu.com/2021/01/nintendo-acquires-next-level-games

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2021/210105e.pdf

Luigis Mansion 3 was awesome :) great buy

Astral Dog

Yeah that's one of the many things I don't understand about Nintendo. If they set up or bought about 10 studios with their infinite money it would be so good for their schedule. But nope.
They always say they are afraid of talent leaving the studio inmediatly after an acquisition

Tbf many developers left Retro Studios after only one game, including designers even the director of Prime i think.

Now i imagine it must be quite the job to manage Retro for Metroid Prime 4, many people left since the Prime1 days, others have been only making DK platformers, they are filling it with developers that worked on HALO, COD and i think even the new GoW

K' Dash

Luigi's Mansion 3 undoubtedly swung it. Next Level Games achieved the impossible with that game- it looks, sounds and feels like a genuine first party Nintendo product. The strong sales and glowing word of mouth are entirely deserved.

Luigi's Mansion is a good game in dire need of new combat mechanics.

Moogle11

Banned
Logical purchase. Really enjoying Luigi's Mansion 3 which I finally got around to buying and starting while traveling around the holidays.

Shaqazooloo

Last month, Nintendo announced that it is acquiring Next Level Games. President Shuntaro Furukawa commented on the move in an interview with Nikkei, and also discussed acquisitions in general.

Here’s our translation:
In January, you announced the acquisition of a Canadian game studio.
They were a longtime development partner of ours, and to increase the overall quality and speed of development, we decided it would be better for them to operate as a subsidiary studio. It’s not a case of us simply wanting more development resources – I don’t think simply scaling up production like that actually adds value to Nintendo products.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Douglas Tronsgard acted as CEO of the Vancouver, Canada-based Luigi’s Mansion 3 developer for 20 years up until the sale of the company to Nintendo last year, at which point his role changed to president.

“After over 20 years in the Video Game Industry, I am happy to announce my retirement,” he said in a statement. “I wanted to say ‘thank you’ to everyone who helped me on my journey to get here. A special thank you to Nintendo for believing in me and Next Level Games. It’s truly been my honour to be a part of NLG’s incredible history.

“I look forward to a new chapter in my life that should involve lots of travelling with my wife. :).”

Top Bottom