• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Draft 2016 |OT| Where One Gasmask Can Change a Career

Status
Not open for further replies.
After Will McClay got promoted following the whole Sharrif Floyd/Tom Ciskowksi debacle, they have hit on a couple first round picks. They haven't demonstrated the ability to evaluate later round targets imo. They started taking guys with high speed/agility scores in the later round hoping to buck that trend. Personally, I see a team that got lucky on their first round picks and still can't evaluate for shit.

They set up their draft plan based on present day and future needs of the team. They won't use a first round pick on need, but for rounds after it seems pretty clear they are targeting positions that will be vacant one or two years down the line. This is based on who they bring in for visits (most of their draft picks were official or Dallas day visits) and looking at Dallas players who are reaching the end of their deals.

I don't know, I'd like to think they are doing some things right. But the only difference between them and a bottom tier team is Romo.

What's the Ciskowski debacle?

Admittedly haven't paid attention to their picks after the first, though from afar it seems the Cowboys have a depth problem on D not unlike the Steelers.

Come on, Chargers. Don't screw this up. Cowboys have to get Ramsey.

If Ramsey is availale at #4, they will get him.

Go Cowboys!

Sorry, but If the Chargers were smart, they'd trade the pick to the Jags are someone desperate for Ramsey. then let the Cowboys take a Buckeye and have the player they've coveted at 5.

You are not a good person

Thanks to you guys, the Browns 'technically" have two first round picks. ;)

Kill3r7

Yeah, Stanley is a LT and they don't want to move Flowers even though he'd probably be a bit better as a RT. So Stanley wouldn't make perfect sense... but I still like him more as a player than Floyd. Floyd's weight, questions about his strength and lack of a pass rush aside from pure speed just worries me. And maybe it's silly but I'm not thrilled that he's going be 24 to start the season. I guess we'll see though. It feels like a foregone conclusion that they'll take Floyd unless TB does. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for disappointment.

Myles Jack has started popping up on a few mocks now. I thought Floyd got bigger to show people he could play at a heavier weight in the league.

Striker

Yeah, Stanley is a LT and they don't want to move Flowers even though he'd probably be a bit better as a RT. So Stanley wouldn't make perfect sense... but I still like him more as a player than Floyd. Floyd's weight, questions about his strength and lack of a pass rush aside from pure speed just worries me. And maybe it's silly but I'm not thrilled that he's going be 24 to start the season. I guess we'll see though. It feels like a foregone conclusion that they'll take Floyd unless TB does. I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for disappointment.
Not a huge fan of Floyd either in this but judging by what the info from some 'sources' and by Reese's apparent infatuation, he's probably gonna be the chosen one. I'll be pissed if they choose him over Jack if both were to be available. I'd rate Conklin over him, too. That said, they won't go OL in the 1st again after doing so with Pugh and Flowers recently. It's going to be defense.

Personally, I'm just hoping they are able to nab Jack if he falls or falls enough (a slight trade isn't bothersome). I think Rankins rising on the boards is definitely good news for Giants fans, and I'm expecting Paxton Lynch to go somewhere in the top 10, as well.

Farooq

Banned
What's the Ciskowski debacle?

Admittedly haven't paid attention to their picks after the first, though from afar it seems the Cowboys have a depth problem on D not unlike the Steelers.

In the 2013 draft, Dallas was sitting at 18 and Sharriff Floyd was available. He was the top player on the scouts board, however the coaches (namely Marinelli) only saw him as 1-tech and Kiffin/Marinelli don't really value 1-techs in their defense. The Cowboys traded down and took the next highest player in Frederick.

Jerry was upset at the lack of communication between the scouts and the coaches. He demoted Ciskowski who was director of player personnel at the time and promoted McClay. McClay has facilitated better communication between the scouts and coaches.

Coincidently ESPN wrote a blog piece on it today.

More important than the past two drafts, McClay has stabilized the organization's scouting process after the embarrassment of 2013. That's when the Cowboys had Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd as a top-five pick in the draft at a position of need.

Yet, they passed on Floyd, trading down and eventually taking Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick in the first round. The pick turned out well, but it displayed flaws in the Cowboys’ scouting process. A disconnect no longer exists between the Cowboys’ coaching and scouting staffs. Credit McClay for that.

"Personnel is a very collaborative effort -- ownership, coaches, personnel guys -- and you have a lot of conversations about every guy you’re thinking about bringing in here," Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett said. "Will does a really good job facilitating all of that communication and making sure we’re all on the same page as far as how we see the player and what his role will be, and that’s invaluable."

Link.

In the 2013 draft, Dallas was sitting at 18. Sharriff Floyd was available and was top player on the scouts board, coaches (Marinelli) only saw him as 1-tech and he doesn't really value 1-techs in his defense. They traded down and took the next highest player in Frederick.

Jerry was upset at the lack of communication between the scouts and the coaches and demoted Ciskowski who was director of player personnel at the time and promoted McClay. There has been much more collaboration between the coaches and scouts ever since then.

Link.

Seems like a smart move on Jerry's part. In the other thread you and LJ were talking about communication in the front office. I think that is the number one thing that separates the wheat from the chaff in the NFL (and any sporting FO). Every year you hear stories about the Browns and how the coach wanted X, the GM wanted Y and the owner wanted Z, and nobody can figure out why the team can't field a winner. It was the biggest surprise with Coughlin's firing too - him saying that he'd been dealt a bad hand the past few years as far as personnel. Never thought i'd hear that from the GMen.

In the 2013 draft, Dallas was sitting at 18. Sharriff Floyd was available and was top player on the scouts board, coaches (Marinelli) only saw him as 1-tech and he doesn't really value 1-techs in his defense. They traded down and took the next highest player in Frederick.

Jerry was upset at the lack of communication between the scouts and the coaches and demoted Ciskowski who was director of player personnel at the time and promoted McClay. McClay has facilitated better communication between the scouts and coaches.

Link.

Didn't Frederick turn out to be the better player tho?

Doubt the Vikes will even keep Floyd after this year, who's been mostly disappointing.

Didn't Frederick turn out to be the better player tho?

Doubt the Vikes will even keep Floyd after this year, who's been mostly disappointing.

Point is you need to stick to your board.

What's the point in even having a board and rating players over one another if at the last minute you say "fuck it" and bail? That's some Cleveland Browns "Advice from a hobo" shit.

It worked out for them that time, would they have been as lucky next time?

I'd bet money Cook will be a better NFL QB than all of them.

I don't see this at all. Cook has a strong arm but goes through periods of extreme inaccuracy. Just shotguns the ball into traffic. Its not like he got any better at it last year either. That's going to cause a ton of picks in the NFL.

I wish the eagles still had chip. :(

The fact that Sam Bradford flat out said that he doesn't want to go to the 49ers because of Chip, along with Kap's insistence on being traded despite being a good fit in Chip's scheme, just doesn't look good for him.

I don't see him lasting very long in San Fran at this rate.

Either the Broncos will drop out of the first round or they'll use their pick to grab the best player on the board at that time. I don't see them drafting a QB in the first.

Personally I'd like to see Elway strengthen the offensive line but I won't be too upset for more defense.

The fact that Sam Bradford flat out said that he doesn't want to go to the 49ers because of Chip, along with Kap's insistence on being traded despite being a good fit in Chip's scheme, just doesn't look good for him.

I don't see him lasting very long in San Fran at this rate.
Sam doesn't want to play in his offense again due to not being able to audible. Kap is a terrible fit for his offense because he doesn't have the accuracy required. If Chip can find guys that fit his scheme he will be successful.

I'm really hoping Ragland lasts till #19. I was all aboard the Jaylon Smith bandwagon but I don't think his knees are going to last.

Also I hope for maximum fukkery in the top-10.

squicken

Sam doesn't want to play in his offense again due to not being able to audible. Kap is a terrible fit for his offense because he doesn't have the accuracy required. If Chip can find guys that fit his scheme he will be successful.

I doubt Chip will ever draft a short QB, but Vernon Adams seems like he's worth one of SF's later round picks

I doubt Chip will ever draft a short QB, but Vernon Adams seems like he's worth one of SF's later round picks

I could see him just signing B.J. Daniels to fill that role.

Always liked Daniels.

Oh yeah, is this a spoiler free thread or nah? Cause if we're posting picks before the selection is made I'm not posting in it.

Syrinx

I could see him just signing B.J. Daniels to fill that role.

Always liked Daniels.

Oh yeah, is this a spoiler free thread or nah? Cause if we're posting picks before the selection is made I'm not posting in it.
ESPN and NFL Network people have agreed not to spoiler picks on Twitter before they're announced, so I'm not sure there will even be spoilers to post.

So we know Goff/Wentz are going 1/2, in some order. This could cause a desperate team to overreach for the next best QB, Paxton Lynch, earlier than anyone expects, maybe even in the 8-12 range. What if this, then, in turn causes someone to spend a 1st rounder reaching for Connor Cook or Christian Hackenberg? The hilarity.

ESPN and NFL Network people have agreed not to spoiler picks on Twitter before they're announced, so I'm not sure there will even be spoilers to post.

They promise that shit every year though and it still gets spoiled (which is why I mute them until he's walking to the podium).

So we know Goff/Wentz are going 1/2, in some order. This could cause a desperate team to overreach for the next best QB, Paxton Lynch, earlier than anyone expects, maybe even in the 8-12 range. What if this, then, in turn causes someone to spend a 1st rounder reaching for Connor Cook or Christian Hackenberg? The hilarity.

Browns might trade back again tbh. I'd do it.

My god a first round pick on two immobile QB's with awful pocket presence.

The fukkery that would ensue.

Cagey

Banned
Yeah, Stanley is a LT and they don't want to move Flowers even though he'd probably be a bit better as a RT. So Stanley wouldn't make perfect sense...

I've long been on the "LT/RT distinctions aren't that meaningful anymore" train but that's more based on how a team's most important pass protector is its QB (pre-snap: set protection, identify defense; post-snap: quick decisions, pocket awareness, quick release) and second on how defenses aren't simply putting their best rusher blindside but moving people around to probe for weaknesses. On a simplistic minus, neutral, positive scale... a team with a franchise QB just needs two 0 players at tackle. The better the player, the better the team, of course, but you can survive just fine with a very good QB conducting the offense so long as there's no true liabilities upfront.

All that is to say I'm on board drafting Stanley because I don't have much confidence in Flowers.

Myles Jack has started popping up on a few mocks now. I thought Floyd got bigger to show people he could play at a heavier weight in the league.

He got himself up near 240, putting on 10+ pounds, for the combine.

Just think about that for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom