• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Switch supposedly use 5nm Nvidia Tegra (Samsung Foundry)

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Switch is using something like 7-10W while gaming in handheld mode. Steam Deck can use upwards of 28W. Even if Switch 2 is using a more advanced chip, I wouldn't expect them to be running it in a 25W profile. ~10W total system power consumption is more likely. I'd expect it to perform like a Steam Deck with DLSS being prioritized as opposed to FSR1/2.

Imtjnotu

Switch is using something like 7-10W while gaming in handheld mode. Steam Deck can use upwards of 28W. Even if Switch 2 is using a more advanced chip, I wouldn't expect them to be running it in a 25W profile. ~10W total system power consumption is more likely. I'd expect it to perform like a Steam Deck with DLSS being prioritized as opposed to FSR1/2.
swith is on a 20nm node and 16nm for its GPU. steam deck is on 7nm. you can use more watts on the deck with more efficiency than the switch can because its running 2013-2014 chip

UnNamed

Banned
At least, a credible rumor this time.

At this point, my speculation is Nvidia want to utilize Samsung ARM cores instead their Orin cores, this would mean more reliable chips and cheaper chips.
Switch used Samsung bigLITTLE chips + Maxwell GPU, a Switch 2 could use a 3 or 4 cores + their latest GPU architecture.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
swith is on a 20nm node and 16nm for its GPU. steam deck is on 7nm. you can use more watts on the deck with more efficiency than the switch can because its running 2013-2014 chip
Steam Deck uses a 5300 mAh battery while Switch OLED/V2 are using a 4300 mAh battery. Nintendo is going to prioritize battery life over max performance, so while Deck is able to consume 28W if left uncapped, Nintendo isn't going to allow 1hr battery life on the Switch 2. If they go for a similar form-factor and battery to the OLED/V2, and they want similar battery life, then they'll need to keep the total system power consumption around the same 10W mark. So you'll have a 10W Switch 2 going against an up to 28W Deck.

Mahavastu

I don't know anything about how a new chip process is created and executed so could you explain why Samsung is getting lower yields than TSMC to me without taking too much of your time up?
don't forget, that we are talking about high tech, close to the limits of physics. When you are behind, you need to go even closer to the limits of your process, leading to even lower yield.
IIRC Samsung is the 2nd best company world wide behind TSMC. Even companies like Intel are years behind.
When China reached 7nm (worse then Samsung, but better then Intel) the americans completly panicked and sanctioned everything in the chinese chip industry.

Last edited:
That actually would be much better than I expected. I think it's more likely anything between 7-12nm.

Yes 5nm is not the most recent thing, but the other sizes don't magically disappear and each has its own price. So what is picked will depend on a number of factors.

Also chips don't get magically ported to smaller nodes. It takes a bit of work and re design.

So are they going to use something that already exists or will they create something new ?

Regardless, I really feel that 5nm is wishful thinking based on Nintendo's hardware track record in the last decades but...you never know.

with all the issues samsung foundry is having....

Qualcomm moved away from samsung after its SD8G1 was having roughly 35% yields and went directly too TSMC.
Even samsung gave up last year on its exynos chips for its S Line up this year because its 2200 lagging behind last year.

Samsung has yet to reach a 50% yield on any of its 5nm manufacturing.
How Dare You Greta GIF

Nintendo needs those profit margins

Jessmo23

Banned
What about storage implementation? Consider this:

1. The series games and ps5 won't port if there is no ssd.

2. Even with some kind of upscale to 4k games are much larger. I can barely fit all my games internally on my series S.

3. SSDs are small and cheap I just Google one for $27 that's 1TB and can fit in your wallet.

https://www.moonvow.com/products/30tb-16tb-8tb-4tb-2tb-1tb-ultra-speed-external-ssd-drive

The biggest issue is power draw.
Can they put a SSD in the dock?

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I don't know anything about how a new chip process is created and executed so could you explain why Samsung is getting lower yields than TSMC to me without taking too much of your time up? Like is it just the people they have in their company are better at developing the machinery/technology and how that stuff is used are better at their jobs than the Samsung equivalent guys?

Is it a supply chain thing where quality of materials make the difference or something like that? Or are these processes developed by independant researchers and then licensed? I'll stop guessing now ha sorry.
Chips are made on Silicon wafers. These wafers go through over 1000 process steps to create the ICs. Each step introduces some level of defects. Some defects kill the chip, some just kill part of the chip or reduce performance. If you can't get the level of defects low enough on all steps, then the yield will be low.

Steps happen in expensive equipment. The equipment vendors provide a basic working process and get the defects low enough. The problem is that they vendors cannot test the same flow exactly and often the chip makers keep some things secret.

It is very easy to pick a bad step or 2 and have that lead to poor yield. They could have picked a tool in development that gave better performance but lower yield and thought incorrectly that they could fix it.

DaGwaphics

If Samsung is indeed having major yield issues while also shedding customers (I don't follow any of this), that might be just the reason Nintendo would go that way. Samsung might be in a position to swing a hell of a deal to have a major contract in place for a product that could do Switch numbers. Plus it would ensure that production for the next Nintendo system did not overlap with manufacturing of Nvidia's main line products.

Last edited:
Samsung has said they did but as of last year they were still below 50%, and that they would be moving most of their force to get 3nm running. their 3nm yields are even less than 5nm from what i read. the new texas plant next year is supposed to help alot with getting 3nm running but even after they dumped 93 billion dollars into all their foundries, they still are having a shit ton of issues and TSMC is widening the gap

I guess we will see. The chip would be pretty small at least which would help.

Comandr

2. Even with some kind of upscale to 4k games are much larger. I can barely fit all my games internally on my series S.

3. SSDs are small and cheap I just Google one for $27 that's 1TB and can fit in your wallet.

https://www.moonvow.com/products/30tb-16tb-8tb-4tb-2tb-1tb-ultra-speed-external-ssd-drive

There is an overwhelming number of articles about how the SSDs you linked are fake. A 1TB portable SSD is still around a hundred bucks. Of course, these are consumer prices. But I think that the cost is going to be significantly higher than you are imagining.

Jessmo23

Banned
If Samsung is indeed having major yield issues while also shedding customers (I don't follow any of this), that might be just the reason Nintendo would go that way. Samsung might be in a position to swing a hell of a deal to have a major contract in place for a product that could do Switch numbers. Plus it would ensure that production for the next Nintendo system did not overlap with manufacturing of Nvidia's main line products.
Does this also set Nintendo up for a component failure issue? (Think RROD).
Knowing this it feels like Nintendo will go the cheap route. I mean If Samsung is losing customers that's a red flag..

Jessmo23

Banned
There is an overwhelming number of articles about how the SSDs you linked are fake. A 1TB portable SSD is still around a hundred bucks. Of course, these are consumer prices. But I think that the cost is going to be significantly higher than you are imagining.
To be honest I'd rather Nintendo just charge 499. For the thing so that we can get quality kit with a good form factor storage, and battery life.
I don't want to pay 299 for the thing and we get a crap processor and 128gs storage. I wish there was a way to break down component costs early so that we could get a feel for performance.
Does anyone have stats on what they traditionally spend on Chip, manufacturing ect?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Steam Deck uses a 5300 mAh battery while Switch OLED/V2 are using a 4300 mAh battery. Nintendo is going to prioritize battery life over max performance, so while Deck is able to consume 28W if left uncapped, Nintendo isn't going to allow 1hr battery life on the Switch 2. If they go for a similar form-factor and battery to the OLED/V2, and they want similar battery life, then they'll need to keep the total system power consumption around the same 10W mark. So you'll have a 10W Switch 2 going against an up to 28W Deck.
Wouldnt one of the benefits of this be the ability to clock higher docked? I think there’s a chance Nintendo pushes this harder than they do now.
Knowing this it feels like Nintendo will go the cheap route. I mean If Samsung is losing customers that's a red flag..
No, RROD was because of flawed/faulty design of the cooling system (specifically the clamps alongside the lead free solder) not bad chips.

It is possible that Nintendo might go with cutting edge hardware with the Switch 2. If they want to have ports of current gen games, they will need to. I don't think they can get away with it being less than 2.5tf when docked otherwise it will be dated as soon as it is released. I think Nintendo knows that one if the main selling points of the Switch was the ability to play first party games as well games like Doom Eternel and the Witcher. They will want to repeat this. The main concern will be cost. If they went with an OLED screen, it will be $500 minimum.

Buggy Loop

I can promise you Nintendo wont go with the cutting edge.

They will stick to their 15 watt target and ship a 1 tflops chip.

It won't happen like that because Nvidia just won't make a Tegra product on the side that puts them at the bottom of the barrel of the mobile SOC just because daddy Nintendo doesn't want to get the wallet out. The custom SoC and R&D will cost them more than what Nvidia will present them as high tech, probably the same solution for the next Shield.

Even the Quest 3's Snapdragon XR2 Gen 2 Adreno 740 GPU will hit 2.5-3 TF as a mobile chipset and hit lower watts for almost no money, they'll be driving a ton of cheap VR headsets in 2023-24, even comes with ray tracing and AI tensor cores.

FiGsXslWQAAwQP1

Nvidia has more pride than Nintendo thankfully. They're selling tech, not stupid grandpa Nintendo solutions like duct taped Tegras thinking they would hit it big with 1TF for a Switch 2.

Tegra X1 at Switch launch was top tier mobile chipset and even to a point, held together well quite a long time "gaming" wise compared to some of its competitors. I don't see why Nintendo wouldn't continue.

JimboJones

With even the steam deck relying fairly heavily on eMMC memory I'd be shocked if Nintendo went with anything more expensive than that.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I think the rumor is false because I still think the Switch 2's next chip may already be shipping in the new Jetson Orin Nano embedded PC, which coincidentally went on sale today and got its first preview at TomsHardware:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidias-new-orin-nano-developer-kit-like-a-raspberry-pi-for-ai

It's designed to replace the previous Jetson Nano devkit which uses the same Tegra X1 that went into the Switch.

Jetson Nano -> Switch
Jetson Orin Nano -> Switch 2

Nvidia Orin Nano Developer Kit

Jetson Orin NanoJetson Nano
CPU6-core Arm Cortex-A78AE v8.2 64-bit CPUQuad-core ARM Cortex-A57 MPCore processor
1.5MB L2 + 4MB L3
GPUNvidia Ampere architecture with 1024 Nvidia CUDA cores andNvidia Maxwell architecture with 128 Nvidia CUDA cores
32 Tensor cores
Memory8GB 128-bit LPDDR54 GB 64-bit LPDDR4, 1600MHz 25.6 GB/s
68 GB/s
StorageMicro SD16 GB eMMC 5.1
NVMe M.2 via Carrier BoardMicro SD
Power7W to 15W (9-19V)20W (Max 5V at 4 Amps)
Dimensions69 x 45 x 21 mm69.6 x 45 x 20 mm

Camera2x MIPI CSI-2 22-pin Camera Connectors12 lanes (3x4 or 4x2) MIPI CSI-2 D-PHY 1.1
M.2 Key Mx4 PCIe Gen 3
x2 PCIe Gen3
M.2 Key EPCIe (x1), USB 2.0, UART, I2S, and I2C1 x
USB4 x USB 3.2 Gen24x USB 3.0
1 x Type C for debug and device mode1 x USB 2.0 Micro-B
NetworkingGigabit EthernetGigabit Ethernet
RTL8822CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
DisplayDisplayPort 1.2HDMI 2.0 and eDP 1.4

Even if the GPU only works at 625MHz, it should still be an enormous upgrade over the Switch, and it might be close to the Steam Deck in performance.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

That's actually pretty good considering it's Nintendo! Remember they somehow refabbed PowerPC 750 cores to 45nm to launch in basically 2013 (2012 by a month) alongside the 8th gen consoles, and the Switch at a very odd 20nm fab not used by many others in 2017 wasn't that close to bleeding edge either

5nm Sammy, I'll take it.

Jessmo23

Banned
It is possible that Nintendo might go with cutting edge hardware with the Switch 2. If they want to have ports of current gen games, they will need to. I don't think they can get away with it being less than 2.5tf when docked otherwise it will be dated as soon as it is released. I think Nintendo knows that one if the main selling points of the Switch was the ability to play first party games as well games like Doom Eternel and the Witcher. They will want to repeat this. The main concern will be cost. If they went with an OLED screen, it will be $500 minimum.
I agree games like RE4 remake will need to work on the system. Now if you are not going to have 4k or ssd why even port the game if your Capcom?
So at a minimum the thing needs.
1. 4k either native or DLSS
2. Ssd support.
3. A decent battery life
4. Price point below steam deck and ps5
5. All of this close to the same form factor.
There is no free lunch either.
A. They cut features for price point. Or
B. We get a 499 99 portable

Jessmo23

Banned
That's actually pretty good considering it's Nintendo! Remember they somehow refabbed PowerPC 750 cores to 45nm to launch in basically 2013 (2012 by a month) alongside the 8th gen consoles, and the Switch at a very odd 20nm fab not used by many others in 2017 wasn't that close to bleeding edge either

5nm Sammy, I'll take it.
Do you think they will put the old Tegra in the device, to facilitate BC? Or will they handle it in software?

LordOfChaos

Do you think they will put the old Tegra in the device, to facilitate BC? Or will they handle it in software?

Just software. The whole reason the 9th gen consoles are backwards compatible is that so long as they stuck to x86 cores with enough threads and higher performance per, plus the same GPU vendor in AMD, they could run the games of the last gen. Same case with Nintendo, only it's ARM and Nvidia's GPU architecture.

Throwing in the old chip as suggested by some youtubers is a cost and space ineffective solution that's been dropped for a while. And Nintendo is kind of cheap with chips lol. They'd also have to keep producing an old 16nm chip or else refab it to another newer process which costs money again.

It'll just be compatible enough, most likely.

I think the rumor is false because I still think the Switch 2's next chip may already be shipping in the new Jetson Orin Nano embedded PC, which coincidentally went on sale today and got its first preview at TomsHardware:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidias-new-orin-nano-developer-kit-like-a-raspberry-pi-for-ai

It's designed to replace the previous Jetson Nano devkit which uses the same Tegra X1 that went into the Switch.

Jetson Nano -> Switch

CPU6-core Arm Cortex-A78AE v8.2 64-bit CPUQuad-core ARM Cortex-A57 MPCore processor
1.5MB L2 + 4MB L3
GPUNvidia Ampere architecture with 1024 Nvidia CUDA cores andNvidia Maxwell architecture with 128 Nvidia CUDA cores
32 Tensor cores
68 GB/s

Camera2x MIPI CSI-2 22-pin Camera Connectors12 lanes (3x4 or 4x2) MIPI CSI-2 D-PHY 1.1
M.2 Key Mx4 PCIe Gen 3
x2 PCIe Gen3

Even if the GPU only works at 625MHz, it should still be an enormous upgrade over the Switch, and it might be close to the Steam Deck in performance.

Orin has a ton of crap that Nintendo doesn't need so it needs to be semi-custom. Shrinking to Samsung's 5 nm could be part of that. 1024 cores @ 918 Mhz is roughly 1.88 TF... about what the Base PS4 is.

I should say that I would expect nvidia to release other products using the chip for markets other than gaming handholds.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Jetson Nano -> Switch

1.5MB L2 + 4MB L3
32 Tensor cores
68 GB/s

M.2 Key Mx4 PCIe Gen 3
x2 PCIe Gen3

Its rumored to be based on an Orin Variant, according to famous Nvidia leaker Kopite7kimi, so you're not far off.

An NVIDIA employee has confirmed the existence of the Tegra239 chip which has been rumoured since 2021 as being developed for the next-generation Nintendo Switch. His comment which can be accessed at linux.org and states:

Adding support for Tegra239 SoC which has eight cores in a single cluster. Also, moving num_clusters to soc data to avoid over allocating memory for four clusters always.

So 8 cores would not put it in Nano territory, but still somewhere as a variant or Orin.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Orin has a ton of crap that Nintendo doesn't need so it needs to be semi-custom. Shrinking to Samsung's 5 nm could be part of that. 1024 cores @ 918 Mhz is roughly 1.88 TF... about what the Base PS4 is.

I should say that I would expect nvidia to release other products using the chip for markets other than gaming handholds.

The original Orin is enormous at 455mm^2, has 12 CPU cores, 2048 shaders, twice the tensor cores at twice the frequency, dedicated image processor, 256bit LPDDR5, a ton of I/O for cameras and it's rated at 60W.

This Jetson Orin Nano is definitely not bringing the Orin SoC. It has half the CPU cores, half the memory bus at lower clocks, half the GPU at lower clocks, no dedicated image DSP, the camera and sensor I/Os were mostly stripped away (only 2 MIPIs left, the original had something like 14), and it's rated at the very same 7-15W ranges as the Switch in handheld-docked mode.

This is a new chip.

An NVIDIA employee has confirmed the existence of the Tegra239 chip which has been rumoured since 2021 as being developed for the next-generation Nintendo Switch. His comment which can be accessed at linux.org and states:

So 8 cores would not put it in Nano territory, but still somewhere as a variant or Orin.
Many clues point to a Switch Pro having been cancelled during the pandemic (Takashi Moshizuki's piece and many statements from the DigitalFoundry crew who swear they heard it from developers).
That Tegra 239 could either be part of the cancelled mid-gen Switch, or it could actually be the codename for the Orin Nano's SoC.

Last edited:

tusharngf

i think using samsung will give them some discount and its not even a cutting edge node. Nvidia will give whatever they have but in the end dont expect anything powerful from nintendo. They dont wanna spend money on RnD or the hardware.

Jessmo23

Banned
i think using samsung will give them some discount and its not even a cutting edge node. Nvidia will give whatever they have but in the end dont expect anything powerful from nintendo. They dont wanna spend money on RnD or the hardware.
If it doesn't have 4k then it may as well not even come to market. It has to be noticeably different from the current model. Unless they go the wii route Into left field. I predict for a console it will be subpar. For a handful it will be top notch. Having a DLSS ability already puts it on par or above series S. Ports are assured.

tusharngf

If it doesn't have 4k then it may as well not even come to market. It has to be noticeably different from the current model. Unless they go the wii route Into left field. I predict for a console it will be subpar. For a handful it will be top notch. Having a DLSS ability already puts it on par or above series S. Ports are assured.
at this point nintendo knows they can sell their first party games on any given hardware. They have stopped caring about 3rd party games.

Raploz

Jetson Nano -> Switch

1.5MB L2 + 4MB L3
32 Tensor cores
68 GB/s

M.2 Key Mx4 PCIe Gen 3
x2 PCIe Gen3

Its rumored to be based on an Orin Variant, according to famous Nvidia leaker Kopite7kimi, so you're not far off.

If the chip indeed has 8 cores that means the closest chip to what will be used on Switch 2 will be the Jetson Orin NX 16GB: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/autonomous-machines/embedded-systems/jetson-orin/ (specs in the middle of the page).

My bet is that if they use a similar 8-core variant, they will cut the memory down to 8GB to save on cost.

Last edited:
What does this mean for next switch powerhouse?

Would it be on par with PS4 pro/X1X?

Considering Switch 1 isn't on par with Base PS4 or XBO when docked (it's closer to PS3 or X360), I think the safest assumption is that Switch 2 will be a bit lesser than PS4 Pro or X1X when Docked, but more powerful than Base PS4/X1 consoles. I'm guessing around 2.5 tflops

Last edited:

Jessmo23

Banned
at this point nintendo knows they can sell their first party games on any given hardware. They have stopped caring about 3rd party games.
You may have a point however:

1. Companies like Capcom may have something to say if they decide that they want monster hunter rise 2 and Re4 on the system.

2 The Wiiu should still be in thier collective consciousness. With long waits between 1st party games and no 3rd parties.

3 It was rumored from the Microsoft AB acquisition leak that games like COD would run on the thing.

4.If I'm not mistaken Capcom had input on the specs last time, because Nintendo wanted MH exclusive. Let's not for get that this is a portable and certain games MUST be there to hold the Japanese market.

DaGwaphics

Shouldn't really. Regardless of the yields, I take it that the working chips are working as they should.

StereoVsn

with all the issues samsung foundry is having....

Qualcomm moved away from samsung after its SD8G1 was having roughly 35% yields and went directly too TSMC.
Even samsung gave up last year on its exynos chips for its S Line up this year because its 2200 lagging behind last year.

Samsung has yet to reach a 50% yield on any of its 5nm manufacturing.
This actually tracks even more then with Nintendo... because you can bet they got a deal if this is true, lol.

Raploz

If that's true that means Switch 2 will probably take longer to release, which would give credence to Nintendo's recent comment that Switch still has "a few years left" https://wccftech.com/nintendo-of-america-president-believes-the-switch-has-a-few-years-left/

Thor is set to be released in 2025.

On the upside that means Switch 2 will be more powerful than expected. It would use the Ada Lovelace architecture (RTX40xx) instead of Ampere and ARM v9 cores instead of ARM v8.

Do we know the track record of this leaker?

Last edited:

Tams

1. It might have been the only process with enough capacity available at the time of ordering.

2. If yields are still pretty bad, then perhaps Nintendo got a good deal on something another couldn't shift; just as they did with Nvidia and Tegra.

Jinzo Prime

UFS 4.0, the new standard for mobile storage, is at 4,200MB/s sequential read speeds and 2,800MB/s write speed. That's faster than the Xbox Series X ssd. If they use it.

Top Bottom