• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Switch supposedly use 5nm Nvidia Tegra (Samsung Foundry)

Imtjnotu

with all the issues samsung foundry is having....

Qualcomm moved away from samsung after its SD8G1 was having roughly 35% yields and went directly too TSMC.
Even samsung gave up last year on its exynos chips for its S Line up this year because its 2200 lagging behind last year.

Samsung has yet to reach a 50% yield on any of its 5nm manufacturing.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This is the thing I care the least about when it comes to Switch 2. They need to come up with some innovation. It won't happen otherwise

This is the thing I care the least about when it comes to Switch 2. They need to come up with some innovation. It won't happen otherwise

A faster switch that's otherwise more or less the same will be OK.

with all the issues samsung foundry is having....

Qualcomm moved away from samsung after its SD8G1 was having roughly 35% yields and went directly too TSMC.
Even samsung gave up last year on its exynos chips for its S Line up this year because its 2200 lagging behind last year.

Samsung has yet to reach a 50% yield on any of its 5nm manufacturing.

I thought Samsung claimed they fixed the yields. Quality OTOH... TSMC is far better.

If Samsung offered nVidia/Nintendo a good deal to port Orin from SS8 to SS5, I could see it. It wouldn't be an amazing improvement compared to if they stuck with SS8 but the clock speed and/or the battery life would be better.

Wooxsvan

def plausible
What did this mean for next switch powerhouse?

Would it be on par with PS4 pro/X1X?
if this was close to true, it would mean 4 ish Tflops, alittle shy of ps4 pro

Imtjnotu

A faster switch that's otherwise more or less the same will be OK.

I thought Samsung claimed they fixed the yields. Quality OTOH... TSMC is far better.

If Samsung offered nVidia/Nintendo a good deal to port Orin from SS8 to SS5, I could see it. It wouldn't be an amazing improvement compared to if they stuck with SS8 but the clock speed and/or the battery life would be better.
Samsung has said they did but as of last year they were still below 50%, and that they would be moving most of their force to get 3nm running. their 3nm yields are even less than 5nm from what i read. the new texas plant next year is supposed to help alot with getting 3nm running but even after they dumped 93 billion dollars into all their foundries, they still are having a shit ton of issues and TSMC is widening the gap

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
‘Cutting edge’?

TSMC 3nm is cutting edge. Apple’s reportedly using that in their next iPhone and M3 chip.

Not Samsung’s 5nm process.

5NM isnt cutting edge. 3 and 4nm is the new normal for last year and this year. compared to its 2015 20nm process anything lower than 7 is amazing but standard as of now
Apple has a stranglehold on 3nm at the moment and TSMC is reportedly fully booked, chiefly due to them. Samsung managed 3nm just a few months ago and 5nm is still the best their mainstream dies can hope for right now for the likes of Nintendo.

Banned
Yeah, calling bullshit on that lmao. Cutting edge Nintendo tech? Sure.

someone needs to be reminded that when the Switch launched, the Tegra X1 was more or less the fastest SoC available for its form factor.
so that basically made the Switch a cutting edge system at the time of release.

the fastest Qualcomm at the time had a worse CPU, supported less memory, and had a slower GPU.
and that is the case even though Nintendo downclocked the Switch dramatically

Last edited:

tkscz

What did this mean for next switch powerhouse?

Would it be on par with PS4 pro/X1X?
Not enough info to know. It's nvidia and it's Samsung 5nm. The problem is currently, Lovelace uses TSMC's 4nm process. Last chipset Samsung officially created for nvidia was 8nm Ampere.

This could mean it's using the cancelled Ampere+ which was meant to be a die shrunk Ampere. But even then it tells us nothing.

What we'd need to know to compare it to PS4(Pro) and XB1(X) would be:
Costume Ampere, Ampere+ or Lovelace
CUDA core count and clock speed
CPU... may not matter as much as it's ARM based and not x86 based, but anything would be better than the AMD Jaguar they used
RAM would be LPDDR5 as Ampere doesn't support LPDDR4, but we would need to know amount and transfer rate.

Until we know all that, saying 5nm doesn't really mean anything.

Yeah, calling bullshit on that lmao. Cutting edge Nintendo tech? Sure.

5nm die is standard now for handheld devices.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Apple has a stranglehold on 3nm at the moment and TSMC is reportedly fully booked, chiefly due to them. Samsung managed 3nm just a few months ago and 5nm is still the best their mainstream dies can hope for right now for the likes of Nintendo.
Apple was smart and bought up alot of the space last year or 2021. and with TSMC announcing it can get its 3nm yields in the 80% range, and apple dominating the SoC market, the rest of the handheld world is now stuck till 2024.

i doubt even Qualcomm can get 3nm for next years galaxy phones

Robb

Gold Member
No idea what that means but it’s nice that more and more rumors/info is starting to leak. Hopefully the “Switch 2” is not too far away.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This isn't cutting edge, its a natural process of progression. By the time this releases, Nvidia will have moved over to 3nm.
At the moment 5nm is what's available. 3nm isn't there yet and besides Apple, I don't think anyone will get their hands on it before the end of the year. Switch using the most recent tech would surprise me given Nintendo's history.

Imtjnotu

this is nintendo though. Even if it fits their wattage budget, it will need to fit within their profit margin as well.
it is but as an average for right now, Nvidia has the Xavier SoC. its 1.4tf but still used the 12nm process. if the new switch used 6nm that right there(based on Qualcomm and Apple) is damn near 60% better power efficient. it would be anywhere from the 20-30 Watt range for a new switch but closer to 20.

im expecting 2TF minimum just based on other current mobile devices tho. only time will tell

Another Switch 2 rumor?

Nintendo fans and Sony fans comes into thread

iu

I'm reminded of the Wii and Nintendo having the balls to charge $250 for what were effectively an overclocked Gekko and Flipper.
late-gen gamecubes lacked digital video-out (i.e., no component cable support, so no progressive scan).
that always stuck with me as a douchey cheapskate decision.

excited to see switch 2 though.
exclusive dlss implementation? some RT? OLED? new controller features?

could go a lot of ways.

Imtjnotu

this is nintendo though. Even if it fits their wattage budget, it will need to fit within their profit margin as well.
but also, i dont think any of the major foundries are doing large bulk orders for 12nm at this time. intel is still on 10 which = TSMC 7nm. i think at worst we get a 7nm chip which is still leagues ahead of NVidias 2015 X1 chip in the switch

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
it is but as an average for right now, Nvidia has the Xavier SoC. its 1.4tf but still used the 12nm process. if the new switch used 6nm that right there(based on Qualcomm and Apple) is damn near 60% better power efficient. it would be anywhere from the 20-30 Watt range for a new switch but closer to 20.

im expecting 2TF minimum just based on other current mobile devices tho. only time will tell
The last rumor I heard was that it was 2.6 tflops docked and 1.3 tflops handheld. But I look at Steamdeck and wonder if Nintendo would be able to top that by a full tflop using expensive nvidia hardware?

What about vram and ssd? i think they will need to be powered by the 15 watt limit Nintendo will undoubtedly impose upon themselves. I wouldnt be surprised if their SoC wattage target is just 10 watts.

Kuranghi

Samsung has said they did but as of last year they were still below 50%, and that they would be moving most of their force to get 3nm running. their 3nm yields are even less than 5nm from what i read. the new texas plant next year is supposed to help alot with getting 3nm running but even after they dumped 93 billion dollars into all their foundries, they still are having a shit ton of issues and TSMC is widening the gap

I don't know anything about how a new chip process is created and executed so could you explain why Samsung is getting lower yields than TSMC to me without taking too much of your time up? Like is it just the people they have in their company are better at developing the machinery/technology and how that stuff is used are better at their jobs than the Samsung equivalent guys?

Is it a supply chain thing where quality of materials make the difference or something like that? Or are these processes developed by independant researchers and then licensed? I'll stop guessing now ha sorry.

Imtjnotu

The last rumor I heard was that it was 2.6 tflops docked and 1.3 tflops handheld. But I look at Steamdeck and wonder if Nintendo would be able to top that by a full tflop using expensive nvidia hardware?

What about vram and ssd? i think they will need to be powered by the 15 watt limit Nintendo will undoubtedly impose upon themselves. I wouldnt be surprised if their SoC wattage target is just 10 watts.
if Nvidia goes the amd route and uses a split pool for its apu, i dont see 16gb being out of reach. ram prices plummeted last year. LPDDR5 would be perfect for it. if the deck can run PC games off that much ram than a new switch would be good.

i do get what your saying now about specs and nintendo cause here i am wanting some good handheld shit but even reading what im typing has me thinking nintendo would not do this shit LOL

Imtjnotu

I don't know anything about how a new chip process is created and executed so could you explain why Samsung is getting lower yields than TSMC to me without taking too much of your time up? Like is it just the people they have in their company are better at developing the machinery/technology and how that stuff is used are better at their jobs than the Samsung equivalent guys?

Is it a supply chain thing where quality of materials make the difference or something like that? Or are these processes developed by independant researchers and then licensed? I'll stop guessing now ha sorry.
Per a korean media article samsung is lacking the man power of its foundries. its one place to start. now Samsung did come out and say that isnt true, but then goes and Delays its 3nm node last year.

also TSMC is just alot larger than Samsungs chip side. the Tech is all there but it comes down to the process and who can get what up and running first. TSMC seems to have the jump on Samsung with getting new processes in trial first.

as of last june, TSMC was already testing a new 2nm process to gates(how power is switched on and off inside the transitor. where the whole 0-1's come from) called GAA. Samsung last year announced it would be using GAA on its 3nm node. samsung wont be doing production on 2nm till 2025 so TSMC again is ahead of the game. TSMC has also said in 2025 it will start its manufacturing of 2nm, but if they are already in the testing phase and samsung had to already delay its 3nm, a 2nm delay from samsung is inevitable.

Jessmo23

Banned

I think SSD prices have dropped alot.
They will probably make the mistake of making the stroage proprietary, but this thing CANNNOT launch with out a hood storage solution. SSD or no deal for me.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
A struggling implementation of technology that has been source of more headaches than successes so far. I can't think of a more fitting part for Nintendo next console.

Top Bottom