• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next Gen Switch supposedly use 5nm Nvidia Tegra (Samsung Foundry)

joshwaan

This is Nintendo so as cheap as possible and corners cut to get it cheap and massive profit. Proberly be 3x more powerful then Switch one at best. Which is still not to bad. It will have some with some wanking accessories. I'll keep my expectations low as I always get hyped for a new Nintendo device.

I just want Switch 2 with OLED at least 4x more powerful and stable 30 fps in upcoming Zelda but might be asking to much.

Last edited:

Mozza

I posted this on another forum, and just my thoughts on a potential Switch 2, and it's timing and potential release date. I suppose the endless stream of Switch Pro/2 rumors have taken their toll on me, not surprising as they have existed before and ever sinch the consoles launch all those years ago, I feel my rambling post is attempting to reflect some of this, and a sort of answer to those who do not simply believe Nintendo will ever release a new generation Switch. These latest rumors are interesting enough, just feeling a little more jaded as each and every rumor hits. ;)

It's very difficult to make a direct comparison, as in the past Nintendo simply upgraded their hardware just like Sony and Microsoft do. And after the Gamecube Nintendo simply changed direction as it could simply not compete directly with Sony and Microsoft, as the hardcore gaming market is roughly 180 million consoles each generation, and at best Nintendo could hope for a 50% share of this, but in reality that ship has sailed many years ago and Sony and Microsoft just have the market stitched up, even more so with Microsoft's buying power.

Nintendo had to go in a different direction and came up with the Wii and 3DS, both of which took advantage of new emerging tech touch screen and motion controls, these two devices opened up a much wider mass market for Nintendo and gave them their most successful generation ever selling around 255 million consoles. But of course you have to realize that this was pretty much a case of lightning in a bottle, and is very unlikely to be repeated. Nintendo were new to this market and of course did not understand the customer base, many of which simply moved on to other devices, leaving only the core Nintendo fans to buy their next systems, the Wii U and 3DS, which in all fairness still managed to sell around 90 million consoles, which would be better than Nintendo fighting it out in the core space with a dedicated powerful home console, but still pretty low numbers considering the previous generation.

Now you can point to many things that hindered Nintendo, the advertising for the WII U was pretty much awful, with Nintendo failing to get the message across to potential customers, that this was a brand new replacement for the Wii, you could cite on of the best features of the 3DS as one of it's biggest issues in the west, the stereoscopic 3-D feature could cause eye damage to younger gamers, now of course you could turn the feature off, but in reality how likely are kids going to do what's best for them and ignore one of the systems coolest features. But in reality Nintendo simply did not understand the fickle nature of the majority of the Wii's and 3DS'S userbase, who were simply not there anymore to buy Nintendo's new consoles, and Nintendo were very complacent in thinking it was just a simple process to release new versions of it's existing hardware, But as I said they were new to all this.

Also not totally sure of the reasoning Nintendo have only been successful when they released something quirky, as until the Wii and 3DS were as traditional as a console company as you could get, and were simply releasing updated more powerful versions of it's handheld and home consoles. Their expansion to a wider more casual market was forced by Sony and Microsoft, rather than being a direct choice by Nintendo. They will always want to get back to an upgrading of their hardware situation, as this was the plan with both the Wii and DS brands.

And as I have said the Switch seems a much more stable platform for Nintendo to build upon, after learning from their mistakes with their transition to the Wii U and 3DS. The Switch is a totally different proposition, it was born out of Nintendo's realization that making two consoles was not a long term strategy for them, as the development costs were high, and not to mention how difficult it was to keep a steady stream of software for both machines, which is also made more difficult if one console is selling better than the other. So Nintendo have spent a lot of time and investment restructuring their in house development teams to make games for one console. The made a console that has a very wide market appeal, and has created many new gamers. The Switch has not experienced the rapid decline in sales the Wii did, which is again indicative of the customers still being there and ready to upgrade to a new console. We see this with Apple and their continuous release of new i Phones/i Pads etc, Nintendo could tap in to a similar format. The Switch logo and "Click" is also a very powerful brand to Nintendo, so they will not drop this lightly.

This and many other reasons are why I feel Nintendo will simply release a more powerful version of the Switch, when the time is right, and as of the moment it's still some way off, as Nintendo can easily still sell 15-18 million units per year, and as yet with no significant price drop. I do see the OLED as the key to this as well as some well timed exclusive themed consoles, Zelda anyone!, but imagine the OLED at a $199 - $250 price point, and they would simply fly of the shelves, and of course sell Nintendo more software, which is their main goal in the first place. My prediction is late 2024 early 2025 for the new Nintendo Switch console, and would be very surprised if it hit any earlier.

Guy can't even get his tenses right so we don't know if Nintendo 'dropped' Samsung, or if Samsung 'dropped' Nintendo.

Of course, you can tell from context, but it doesn't inspire confidence in him as a source of information.

Samsung's just the foundry. The business would be between Nintendo and nvidia. Samsung's not dropping anybody unless they don't have room.

SNG32

What better innovation than not be forced to play at 30 fps (or unstable 60) at 1998 era resolutions?

They already have the hybrid console gimmick going on, they don't need another gimmick on top of that, they need some fucking power.
Honestly we will be lucky if we get a switch that’s at least on par with the steam deck. Remember Nintendo has Mario, Zelda and Pokémon three of the biggest franchises in gaming. The switch is in a league of its own it could practically re-release the original switch with a 2 or 5 percent upgrade call it the switch 2 and still sell gang busters because it’s under the guise of a portal/hybrid console and the amount of Nintendo and casual fans that well spend money to play the franchises I listed above. The games are the selling point and always has been for Nintendo. It was never about power and Nintendo knows this.

Last edited:

Tams

Guy can't even get his tenses right so we don't know if Nintendo 'dropped' Samsung, or if Samsung 'dropped' Nintendo.

Of course, you can tell from context, but it doesn't inspire confidence in him as a source of information
Samsung's just the foundry. The business would be between Nintendo and nvidia. Samsung's not dropping anybody unless they don't have room.

I made it plainly clear that that was the case.

No. I was calling into question the veracity of the Tweeter because they couldn't be bothered to use clear language.

E-Cat

Of course, you can tell from context, but it doesn't inspire confidence in him as a source of information.
Yeah, not too bright it seems

coffinbirth

No. RISC is RISC and CISC is CISC. Can pipeline streaming and software optimization make ARM perform similarly to x86? Yes. Would it make it easy to do? No.

Simply put, its really easy to make something designed for ARM run on x86, doing it the other way around... isn't. This problem is exacerbated when you consider that where they are porting from is/are hardware that is orders of magnitude more performant to begin with.

Just look at what is out there. The steam deck is a 1.6TF (boost mode) handheld. Now, while don't even believe Nintendowi make hardware that powerful, but lets say they do. That's already a 8TF+ data in GPU power alone compared to the 4K twins. And this is just talking about the GPU.
I mean, I'm not here to argue...if you want to believe that, that's on you. I'm just telling you your examples and stance are steeped in 15+ year old realities, not so much today. I listed multiple examples above as to why. I'm not talking about anything but that.

Raploz Raploz in a reply above went the extra mile and explained it to you quite succinctly.

Interfectum

jerking off sex appeal GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
16 GB? Comparable to PS4 but it has Ray Tracing, DLSS and can do 4K?

Why is speculation for Nintendo hardware always so weird?
Always is, lol.

I mean, cell phones can do 4K+ and RT, but most are PS4 comparable. Doesn't mean it will effectively or if ever at all.

Buggy Loop

16 GB? Comparable to PS4 but it has Ray Tracing, DLSS and can do 4K?

Why is speculation for Nintendo hardware always so weird?

Outside of i don't believe one minute a 4chan rumour..

Snapdragon XR2 gen 2 for Quest 3 will basically be this. 12GB though. But i mean, different architectures though so they probably set up the lanes for modules that fit 16GB better.

Ray tracing and DLSS will be no brainers on nvidia chip. DLSS will be the most important features.

Nvidia should easily compete with a chipset that is made for mainstream low-cost hardware like the Quest 3 and Pico 5 will be.

Not happening. But with LPDDR5, while you might have 16GB it's not the same as GDDR6 and

GDDR6 = 18 Gbps
LPDDR5 = 6.4 Gbps

Expecting 4K for video playback makes sense. But 4K gaming? That will be rough considering both the PS5 and the XSX both have issues hitting that benchmark. Consistent 1080p - 1440p would make sense.

Thor doesn't arrive for Auto Manufacturers till 2025.

Last edited:

Woopah

That 4chan is very fake, it general we should never pay attention to 4chan or Twitter rumours unless there is any previous reason to trust the soruce.
I posted this on another forum, and just my thoughts on a potential Switch 2, and it's timing and potential release date. I suppose the endless stream of Switch Pro/2 rumors have taken their toll on me, not surprising as they have existed before and ever sinch the consoles launch all those years ago, I feel my rambling post is attempting to reflect some of this, and a sort of answer to those who do not simply believe Nintendo will ever release a new generation Switch. These latest rumors are interesting enough, just feeling a little more jaded as each and every rumor hits. ;)

It's very difficult to make a direct comparison, as in the past Nintendo simply upgraded their hardware just like Sony and Microsoft do. And after the Gamecube Nintendo simply changed direction as it could simply not compete directly with Sony and Microsoft, as the hardcore gaming market is roughly 180 million consoles each generation, and at best Nintendo could hope for a 50% share of this, but in reality that ship has sailed many years ago and Sony and Microsoft just have the market stitched up, even more so with Microsoft's buying power.

Nintendo had to go in a different direction and came up with the Wii and 3DS, both of which took advantage of new emerging tech touch screen and motion controls, these two devices opened up a much wider mass market for Nintendo and gave them their most successful generation ever selling around 255 million consoles. But of course you have to realize that this was pretty much a case of lightning in a bottle, and is very unlikely to be repeated. Nintendo were new to this market and of course did not understand the customer base, many of which simply moved on to other devices, leaving only the core Nintendo fans to buy their next systems, the Wii U and 3DS, which in all fairness still managed to sell around 90 million consoles, which would be better than Nintendo fighting it out in the core space with a dedicated powerful home console, but still pretty low numbers considering the previous generation.

Now you can point to many things that hindered Nintendo, the advertising for the WII U was pretty much awful, with Nintendo failing to get the message across to potential customers, that this was a brand new replacement for the Wii, you could cite on of the best features of the 3DS as one of it's biggest issues in the west, the stereoscopic 3-D feature could cause eye damage to younger gamers, now of course you could turn the feature off, but in reality how likely are kids going to do what's best for them and ignore one of the systems coolest features. But in reality Nintendo simply did not understand the fickle nature of the majority of the Wii's and 3DS'S userbase, who were simply not there anymore to buy Nintendo's new consoles, and Nintendo were very complacent in thinking it was just a simple process to release new versions of it's existing hardware, But as I said they were new to all this.

Also not totally sure of the reasoning Nintendo have only been successful when they released something quirky, as until the Wii and 3DS were as traditional as a console company as you could get, and were simply releasing updated more powerful versions of it's handheld and home consoles. Their expansion to a wider more casual market was forced by Sony and Microsoft, rather than being a direct choice by Nintendo. They will always want to get back to an upgrading of their hardware situation, as this was the plan with both the Wii and DS brands.

And as I have said the Switch seems a much more stable platform for Nintendo to build upon, after learning from their mistakes with their transition to the Wii U and 3DS. The Switch is a totally different proposition, it was born out of Nintendo's realization that making two consoles was not a long term strategy for them, as the development costs were high, and not to mention how difficult it was to keep a steady stream of software for both machines, which is also made more difficult if one console is selling better than the other. So Nintendo have spent a lot of time and investment restructuring their in house development teams to make games for one console. The made a console that has a very wide market appeal, and has created many new gamers. The Switch has not experienced the rapid decline in sales the Wii did, which is again indicative of the customers still being there and ready to upgrade to a new console. We see this with Apple and their continuous release of new i Phones/i Pads etc, Nintendo could tap in to a similar format. The Switch logo and "Click" is also a very powerful brand to Nintendo, so they will not drop this lightly.

This and many other reasons are why I feel Nintendo will simply release a more powerful version of the Switch, when the time is right, and as of the moment it's still some way off, as Nintendo can easily still sell 15-18 million units per year, and as yet with no significant price drop. I do see the OLED as the key to this as well as some well timed exclusive themed consoles, Zelda anyone!, but imagine the OLED at a $199 - $250 price point, and they would simply fly of the shelves, and of course sell Nintendo more software, which is their main goal in the first place. My prediction is late 2024 early 2025 for the new Nintendo Switch console, and would be very surprised if it hit any earlier.
Agree with everything you've said here apart from the timing. As you said Nintnedo's main job is to sell games, and Switch software has peaked. That means the time will soon come when it will be replaced.

Mozza

That 4chan is very fake, it general we should never pay attention to 4chan or Twitter rumours unless there is any previous reason to trust the soruce.

Agree with everything you've said here apart from the timing. As you said Nintnedo's main job is to sell games, and Switch software has peaked. That means the time will soon come when it will be replaced.
What is the right timing?, and that's assuming Nintendo simply go for a more powerful Switch console. I would love new hardware but still feel they can sell 15 million or so Switch consoles a year, even more so if they focus on the OLED and introduce a price cut, and more special editions.

My daughter has a Switch, and she got Splatoon 3 for Christmas, my wife was watching her play online, and neither of them complained about the graphics, or that they needed a new console. So I feel we have to think a little outside of the core mindset here, and I like you would love new Switch hardware, but is that in reality what the wider Switch userbase want, as on here, as most other gaming forums, we are talking to like minded individuals, who pretty much want similar things. And it's very easy to confuse what we want Nintendo to do, with what they actually need to do, or indeed what the wider marketplace actually requires.

A big test I feel will be the new Zelda game, will this drive hardware as well as sales?, only time will tell. But I am still standing by late 2024, early 2025 for a new Switch, would love to be proved wrong though, although I do feel the longer we wait the more chance we have of getting better power by default.

Last edited:

Kappa

😆 why are the Nintendo leakers always the most clueless on how tech works. Just look at current handheld tech and put 2 and 2 together.

Mozza

😆 why are the Nintendo leakers always the most clueless on how tech works. Just look at current handheld tech and put 2 and 2 together.
Because they are in it for the attention, giving any meaningful information is of secondary importance.

What is the right timing?, and that's assuming Nintendo simply go for a more powerful Switch console. I would love new hardware but still feel they can sell 15 million or so Switch consoles a year, even more so if they focus on the OLED and introduce a price cut, and more special editions.

My daughter has a Switch, and she got Splatoon 3 for Christmas, my wife was watching her play online, and neither of them complained about the graphics, or that they needed a new console. So I feel we have to think a little outside of the core mindset here, and I like you would love new Switch hardware, but is that in reality what the wider Switch userbase want, as on here, as most other gaming forums, we are talking to like minded individuals, who pretty much want similar things. And it's very easy to confuse what we want Nintendo to do, with what they actually need to do, or indeed what the wider marketplace actually requires.

A big test I feel will be the new Zelda game, will this drive hardware as well as sales?, only time will tell. But I am still standing by late 2024, early 2025 for a new Switch, would love to be proved wrong though, although I do feel the longer we wait the more chance we have of getting better power by default.
I’m banking on 2025. But the Switch’s graphics are muddy and dated and are mostly 720p which is unacceptable at this point. More powerful hardware would be nice, not to mention, DLSS will help Nintendo with another 10 year console.

If you’ve ever seen emulated Switch games, you will see that even a simple resolution bump makes them look great, but more horsepower for the GPU and CPU and more memory for additional texture resolutions as well as modern storage technology would be an extra added bonus for even just navigating the OS which is currently slow and janky when doing anything other than picking a game to play.

It would be naive to think the switch is in a good place to stay stagnant. I really hope they make the jump to next-gen as I’ve gotten quite a bit of use out of my switch, however, I’m yearning for my games to look sharper on the big screen. Especially now that they’re hitting that $70 mark and are rarely discounted. Give me my money worth, please.

Last edited:

Mozza

I’m banking on 2025. But the Switch’s graphics are muddy and dated and are mostly 720p which is unacceptable at this point. More powerful hardware would be nice, not to mention, DLSS will help Nintendo with another 10 year console.

If you’ve ever seen emulated Switch games, you will see that even a simple resolution bump makes them look great, but more horsepower for the GPU and CPU and more memory for additional texture resolutions as well as modern storage technology would be an extra added bonus for even just navigating the OS which is currently slow and janky when doing anything other than picking a game to play.

It would be naive to think the switch is in a good place to stay stagnant. I really hope they make the jump to next-gen as I’ve gotten quite a bit of use out of my switch, however, I’m yearning for my games to look sharper on the big screen. Especially now that they’re hitting that $70 mark and are rarely discounted. Give me my money worth, please.
All down to personal opinions and indeed preferences, I play games on my Series X, connected to my LG OLED, and they look amazing, but then playing Nintendo's own content I never find it that jarring, however games like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and indeed Zelda, all have very specific styles more suited to the hardware, the biggest difference for me comes with the Switch's 720p home screen, even then I mainly notice that directly after switching from the Series X one. Never when I simply boot up the Switch console on it's own.

Top Bottom