• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next gen ram capacity.

How much vram?

• Total voters
So since it's been revealed that the new Xbox series X is 12 teraflops, Its time we had a poll on how much vram would be in that machine and ps5 ofcourse?

Hopefully 20gb, 4 for the OS, and a full 16gb for games. Even a full 16gb is going to start looking small 4 or 5 years from now. We dont need something as 'cheap' as ram holding back next gen systems for no reason.
Seeing hellblade with all the volumetrics and animations and world size besides it not being a big budget god of war type game of reckon it's using 16gb+

Stuart360

Seeing hellblade with all the volumetrics and animations and world size besides it not being a big budget god of war type game of reckon it's using 16gb+
I mean people are right when they say stuff like 'you dont need as much ram if its higher speed' and all that, but it will always be better to have the ram there than not. Some PC games are already reccomending 16gb of ram (and using 12gb+ in game) and those games are just current gen ports.

I mean people are right when they say stuff like 'you dont need as much ram if its higher speed' and all that, but it will always be better to have the ram there than not. Some PC games are already reccomending 16gb of ram (and using 12gb+ in game) and those games are just current gen ports.
High speed doesn't make graphics beautiful it simply speeds up available assets loading, capacity is what makes the graphics because the assets on screen exist in the memory, ram is like a universe full of matter and speed is how fast you can display that matter!

Aren't the rumors 16gb unified memory? 12 for games and 4 for the OS? That seems reasonable to me.
Nope not reasonable at all 16gb is still too low 24gb is the minimum I'll take because this consoles will be here for 6-7 years and 16gb wont be a big change from 8gb remember we moved from 512mb to 8gb and now we have 4k to deal with

psorcerer

Banned
High speed doesn't make graphics beautiful it simply speeds up available assets loading, capacity is what makes the graphics because the assets on screen exist in the memory, ram is like a universe full of matter and speed is how fast you can display that matter!

You forget about streaming and PRT (partially resident textures).
With 4-5GB/sec of bandwidth SSD becomes your universe, and RAM is just another cache.

nowhat

At least when it comes to the new Xbox, easily under 1.

I'd challenge anyone to fit even the tiniest sheep in that enclosure.

Ar¢tos

16gb GDDR6 + 4gb LPDDR4
With fast ram + fast SSD + a proper configuration, there is no need for more than 16gb for games.

Nero_PR

Banned
I don't have a clue, but I'll guess 24GB, just because it seems like an oddball amount.
Even if you don't know, you are pretty reasonable. If they go for 16GB unified will be a little troublesome to allocate the Operational System together with the games, and ram is not that expensive. As some people have pointed out, 16GB is not enough for some of the current-gen ports on PC. My safe bet is 24GB too, I just hope that the OS for both PS5 and Series X are well optimized and not too heavy on the machine, at an absolute max of 6GB for the OS. The fact that the systems will be here for a good 5 to 7 years, it needs to have a good amount of ram.

EDIT: I done wronged, as mckmas8808 mckmas8808 pointed out. 13 GB for games was Anaconda. I suspect PS5 will be something similar.

Now I try to correct myself, looking like a tool.

I figure the rumour about Lockhart being 16GB with 13GB for games seems reasonable. If so, good to see that the dash reserve hasn't grown with support for 8K.

PS5 and Anaconda will probably have more. Even as little as 20GB would be okay.

Bus arrangements for the high end machines is likely to be 256-bit, 320-bit or 384-bit. With 8, 12 and 16 gbit memory modules all being possibilities that leads to a lot of possible configurations. 8 x 16 gbit chips for 256-bit bus seems reasonable, giving 16 GB. 320 and 384 bit buses would give 20 GB and 24 GB respectively, all without needing to use a clamshell arrangement (though this could be used for cloud units and dev kits).

If I had to guess, I'd say 20 or 24 GBs 16 GB. In the case of MS, this might allow for 32 GB for cloud units, and both MS and Sony traditionally like to have more memory in dev kits.

Last edited:
Even if you don't know, you are pretty reasonable. If they go for 16GB unified will be a little troublesome to allocate the Operational System together with the games, and ram is not that expensive. As some people have pointed out, 16GB is not enough for some of the current-gen ports on PC.

Any idea which games these console ports are? I've not hit more than about 6 GB of main ram being used by a game, AFAIK, and I can still play everything I've tried to on a 2GB GTX 680. I've got 32 GB of ram, and even running a game, leaving a tab heavy browser open and various apps open the background I still have half my ram only used by the OS for caching stuff.

I spent a fortune on 32 GB of overclocked DDR3 a few years back and nothing frikkin' uses it! I'll be on a new system before there's anything that does!

Edit: I did get a buzz out of having all my slots full with matching heatspreaders though, because I'm simple like that. And I don't even have a windowed case. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned

What game is using 12g on the PC?

Thabass

Rumors all suggest 16. 13 for use of the game and the rest for the OS. I remember reading that for the Series X at the very least.

Stuart360

What game is using 12g on the PC?
I cant remember which games but i have played a handfull that have been around the 12gb mark, and a few more around 10gb. I always have Rivatuner on when i play a new game so that i know what gpu/cpu usage i have to work with when it comes to rez, framerate, and settings.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I want at least 24, but I can also see 16.

I think they will be using a wide bandwidth, and both having custom SSD solutions will make for some fast feeding and virtual ram caching.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I cant remember which games but i have played a handfull that have been around the 12gb mark, and a few more around 10gb. I always have Rivatuner on when i play a new game so that i know what gpu/cpu usage i have to work with when it comes to rez, framerate, and settings.

If you could find one, please let me know. I've only seen FF15 using a lot but I don't think 12G. And are we talking VRAM (which is impossible) or system RAM?

Lister

Banned
Lol, console gamers really think they're getting a GTX 2080, a 8 core 16 thread modern performing CPU and 24+ gigs of RAM.... for $400.

There's going to be so many disappointed people next year.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Lol, console gamers really think they're getting a GTX 2080, a 8 core 16 thread modern performing CPU and 24+ gigs of RAM.... for $400.

There's going to be so many disappointed people next year.

I just think they wish it. Every console owner wishes it. Can't fault for that. It's when they speak with 100% conviction that things turn south IMO..

I figure the rumour about Lockhart being 16GB with 13GB for games seems reasonable. If so, good to see that the dash reserve hasn't grown with support for 8K.

PS5 and Anaconda will probably have more. Even as little as 20GB would be okay.

Bus arrangements for the high end machines is likely to be 256-bit, 320-bit or 384-bit. With 8, 12 and 16 gbit memory modules all being possibilities that leads to a lot of possible configurations. 8 x 16 gbit chips for 256-bit bus seems reasonable, giving 16 GB. 320 and 384 bit buses would give 20 GB and 24 GB respectively, all without needing to use a clamshell arrangement (though this could be used for cloud units and dev kits).

If I had to guess, I'd say 20 or 24 GBs. In the case of MS, this might allow for 40 or 48 GB for cloud units, and both MS and Sony traditionally like to have more memory in dev kits.

IIRC, doesn't clamshell mode require the chips to operate at half the bit rate, i.e 16-bit mode vs. 32-bit mode? Are there any particular performance differences that occur by doing that, like trading in per-chip bandwidth for double the total memory capacity?

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think 16 after the insider's said last night anaconda was 12tf navi. To get there that this over 50CUs with disabled for yield. To get there the wide bus would need to go to save die space for more CUs. Fair tradeoff for me ram is nice but raw tf is more useful.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
probably 16GB which IMO is too low.

straight away you'll need 2-3GB for the OS so that'll only leave 13-14GB for games.

Sure, it's an improvement over current gen but games on PC can easily use 10-13GB now which is why I upgraded to 32GB. last night I was playing RDR2 and it was using 12GB. The Division 2 i have seen use 13GB. and that's just RAM. RDR2 can use 5-6GB VRAM on top of the 12GB RAM. Consoles i think will need to share their RAM between the CPU + GPU.

Last edited:

nkarafo

RAM was getting 16 times larger every gen:

- SNES had 128KB

- PS1 had 2MB (16x)

- PS2 had 32MB (16x)

- PS3 had 512MB total (16x)

- PS4 has 8GB (16x)

So this gen is going to break that momentum and slow down considerably. 16GB is just 2x compared to last gen. Now i would not expect 128GB of RAM (16x) but it looks like RAM requirements have reached a ceiling for videogames.

Storage requirements though... That's a different story.

Last edited:
IIRC, doesn't clamshell mode require the chips to operate at half the bit rate, i.e 16-bit mode vs. 32-bit mode? Are there any particular performance differences that occur by doing that, like trading in per-chip bandwidth for double the total memory capacity?

To the best of my knowledge, clamshell mode uses half the width per chip, but as you're using two chips the total effective bandwidth is the same. There's more to it, that I'm not totally clear on, but I think the memory controller arranges the minimum unit of data you can read / write across both chips so that accesses occurs at the same speed. (memory is normally byte addressable but the minimum unit the controller can read or write is higher than this)

One caveat to this is that due to some electrical property (interference or clock synchronisation or something) the maximum frequency that the memory can run at is normally lower in clamshell mode. So you can lose a little BW there, comparatively.

I *think* this may be one reason why the PS4's intended memory bandwidth dropped when production units moved from 4 to 8 GB of GDDR5.

Top Bottom