• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSfox

What I do not quite understand is because many people reach these conclusions for 4 games where ps5 wins very slightly in some cases and we still have 1 month of generation. Nobody has thought that programmers have something to do with their old generation graphics engines. No, it has to be that the Xbox Series X is poorly designed and the PS5 has magical I / O.

Nobody has thought that perhaps the base platform is the ps5 since it has more users and that it is possible that this helps you have better optimization. It would make lot of sense, mostly with the differences about the memory.

Nobody has thought that with the new engines perhaps they take advantage of the Series X more and can considerably improve its performance.

Nobody has thought that perhaps in Series X they are using a new API shared with the PC and that perhaps this makes it more difficult to optimize the console at the moment.

No, many people have thought that both AMD and Microsoft have made a design mistake with the Xbox as there are bottlenecks. Therefore, if in a forum of amateur people they have discovered the Xbox Series X design error then it is because the engineers of Xbox and AMD are useless.

It takes years to make and design a console with large teams and many engineers working on it. But here in just a few months everyone knows that Xbox performs a little less in those games because it has bottlenecks.

Fun fact: first games usually shows which console is the best for 3rd party games for the entire generations, why would it be different this time around? I mean it could be different but..

BF4, AC BF, Cod ghosts just to name those were running better on ps4 than Xbox one and those were launch games. So.

The gaming market is big enough for MS to still be able to market and sell a console but they will never outsell Sony in the console space again.....

Even through game pass is a great deal they need more hit exclusive titles for it to last long term, This gen will be a very interesting one

I agree, I expect MS will "beat themselves" and outsell last gens Xbox One but no chance of outselling Sony, it's not even worth talking about

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Fun fact: first games usually shows which console is the best for 3rd party games for the entire generations, why would it be different this time around? I mean it could be different but..

BF4, AC BF, Cod ghosts just to name those were running better on ps4 than Xbox one and those were launch games. So.
But that's before tools were invented, and even before the next excuse will be invented.and at the end of the gen it will be damn the dev didn't even bother to tap in the XSX power why ?Then the usuals Lazy devs, sony shils,wait for next E3, wait for next gen etc...

Last edited:
But that's before tools were invented, and even before the next excuse will be invented.and at the end of the gen it will be damn the dev didn't even bother to tap in the XSX power why ?Then the usuals Lazy devs, sony shils,wait for next E3, wait for next gen etc...
The power of Directx 12 closed the gap, remember. And the power of the cloud gave the console the power of 12 Xbox Ones.

Riky

$MSFT

The first comparison I saw was DMC5 where the Xbox outperformed the PS5 in 3 out of four modes, Call OF Duty has big drops in RT mode on PS5, Dirt 5 had big drops in 120hz mode on PS5 and now Valhalla drops to 51fps on PS5 as well as PS5 Watch Dogs having no puddle reflections.

It's nowhere near as clear cut as Xbox One running in 720p v 1080p on COD Ghosts.

PaintTinJr

By your logic, all PC' are also bottlenecked by slow ddr4 ram when it is used with cpu gaming tasks, which is way worse as it is a split pool.
They are, but they have the option to alleviate bottlenecks by moving the goal posts in most situation.

Hit a limit on current setup? Get a new part with extra headroom, bigger & better CPUs/GPUs with larger, faster VRAM or caches, etc to move the location of the limiting factor. although we are heading for a time, this gen or next when there will be no way round tightly coupled systems with unified memory by just bolting on something with headroom.

Sweeney's comments regarding the PS5 SSD/IO complex and UE5 demo implies it is likely to be this gen IMHO, and this was echoing the praise Carmack had for the console choice of APU with unified memory before the start of the previous gen.

onesvenus

Many (including me) have speculated about API differences. That xbox loses performance to thicker stack of software between game and hardware, as they have to support slow ass xbone + slow ass PCs(and fast ones too)
Have you seen the Hot Chips talk? Because there's a question addressing that same thing you say and they basically debunk it.
It's using the same interfaces to have a common API between PC and Xbox but it's stripped of all the HAL when compiled to a single platform.

Garani

Good lord this game has terrible VA.. can't believe people play shite like this lol

But.. it's a really vague sex joke between 2 characters that appear to be.. adults? Kids can handle it lol

It's not even vague, it's not there in the first place.

I am not a kid and in the context of the game there is no sexual joke to be seen. Anyone may say things like "I kept the best snack for you", any close friend does that, and we teach our kids that sharing is caring. In EVERY sitcom/movie there is someone declaring "miss me already?" I say that to my kids when I go shopping and they come to hug me before I leave for a couple of hours. I mean, there is absolutelly nothing sexual in that clip. Nothing at all.

I don't get it, please explain

Because there is nothing.

MistBreeze

The first comparison I saw was DMC5 where the Xbox outperformed the PS5 in 3 out of four modes, Call OF Duty has big drops in RT mode on PS5, Dirt 5 had big drops in 120hz mode on PS5 and now Valhalla drops to 51fps on PS5 as well as PS5 Watch Dogs having no puddle reflections.

It's nowhere near as clear cut as Xbox One running in 720p v 1080p on COD Ghosts.

u r trying too hard
Im with u in dmc 5 but in the modes series x is better it was better by 3-5 fps max and ps5 is vastly superior in 120fps mode

dirt 5 is a clear win for ps5 higher resolution textures... better performance across the board ... 120 mode fps drop was in one track only as mentioned by DF

in watch dogs missing puddle yes but ps5 has better AF

ac valhalla is better in ps5 before and even after the patch ...DF said the ps5 is the same performance wise before and after the patch and the drops is mere seconds and what do u expect 1440p on ps5 is vastly higher than 1188p on xbox series x

Call of duty drops only for 2 seconds in some setpieces in RT mode and it is quite more consistent in 120 fps mode

so ps5 is slightly better in most games tech wise

and besides is not series x is more powerfull

by 2 terraflops??

why ps5 is better in textures in some games and better in performance in some and better in resolutions in some games??

Last edited:

roops67

Folks should keep in mind that XSX's memory setup was a compromise and not an inherent designed in advantage.

MS wanted a bus wider than 256bit, to achieve higher memory bandwidth. Which was likely driven by their desire to push RT and ML performance on the XSX. A more conventional 386bit bus design would have been waaaay too cost prohibitive. And they weren't gonna go HAM with RAM chip clocks, paying top dollar for top of the range 16+Gbit/s GDDR6 chips.

So the mixed density chip design was about the only way they could achieve high enough memory bandwidth to feed a 12TFLOPs GPU while also doubling the XB1's RAM capacity to 16GB. It just just comes with the awkward downside of being more tricky to manage on the developer side of things.
The XSX bus width was made for 20GB, it makes sense it's 5 lanes goes into 20 evenly. This was most likely what AMD designed for them. But Microsoft made costs cut-backs by reducing the ram, thereby severely crippling the architecture. MS being MS spun this odd memory setup into a wierd faux advantage as something new and innovative 🤦‍♂️

Riky

$MSFT
u r trying too hard
Im with u in dmc 5 but in the modes series x is better it was better by 3-5 fps max and ps5 is vastly superior in 120fps mode

dirt 5 is a clear win for ps5 higher resolution textures... better performance across the board ... 120 mode fps drop was in one track only as mentioned by DF

in watch dogs missing puddle yes but ps5 has better AF

ac valhalla is better in ps5 before and even after the patch ...DF said the ps5 is the same performance wise before and after the patch and the drops is mere seconds and what do u expect 1440p on ps5 is vastly higher than 1188p on xbox series x

Call of duty drops only for 2 seconds in some setpieces in RT mode and it is quite more consistent in 120 fps mode

so ps5 is slightly better in most games tech wise

and besides is not series x is more powerfull

by 2 terraflops??

why ps5 is better in textures in some games and better in performance in some and better in resolutions in some games??

ywLkuhk.jpg

Of7giyM.jpg

39pPLaQ.jpg

lv9Z9oN.jpg

6OGJqIN.jpg

01y9359.jpg

fXKkU9Z.jpg

PfDa1Zn.jpg

hHpQz9y.jpg

2kS8EpZ.jpg

puYMgdF.jpg

All the problems are only a "few seconds" on Xbox as well, Valhalla isn't 1188p for the whole games it's a few seconds, Dirt 5 is a bug as the developer said. All these things are just small anomalies in the end.

Larvana

PS5 is outperforming XSX the rest is story and tools.
Already been stated that this is because PS5 is easier to develop for, it's the only real reason why PS5 is out performing right now.

It's pretty easy to order one from Germany and have it shipped to the UK.
Maybe your friends don't really want one?
Not everyone wants to deal with warranty, yada yada. It's not about not wanting one, lol...

I'm not inclined to believe the sales chart and will wait for more concrete information, but I can say I worked for GameStop for many years.

Even the PS4 launch I dont recall anything close to the fervor that seems to be coming for PS5. Yeah, it sold out rapidly, but it wasn't this nuts.

I believe it has potential, with the pandemic having the side effect of boosting gaming to really almost be their highest seller ever.

Even so, lifetime I dont see it(nor any console) ever matching PS2.

PS4 *might*, if its still fully supported and price dropped over the next couple of years.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
You pretty much complain that if the CPU access the memory, the GPU can not. You have the same "problem" on the PS5.
If you take into account that the GPU uses more bandwith (reads more often from RAM then the CPU) in average the "real" memory bandwith should be higher on the XSX then on the PS5

currently the "common wisdom" here is, that the PS5 has a better cache system leading to more cache hits then on the XSX. If true this leads to better use of the memory bandwith (you need to load less data from the RAM, such the accesses you do need have more bandwith for themself and are faster), leading to better performance.
I doubt it is the "slow" memory.
Come on. You perfectly know is not like this on ps5, dont compare apple to orange, splitted a unified bandwidth in 2 speeds is not like use it in 2 different processing, you have full decision to how to set such data, not at all in this hybrid solutions of MS, bottlenecks are inevitable, and there will be compromise to use it adequately.

Last edited:
ywLkuhk.jpg

Of7giyM.jpg

39pPLaQ.jpg

lv9Z9oN.jpg

6OGJqIN.jpg

01y9359.jpg

fXKkU9Z.jpg

PfDa1Zn.jpg

hHpQz9y.jpg

2kS8EpZ.jpg

puYMgdF.jpg

All the problems are only a "few seconds" on Xbox as well, Valhalla isn't 1188p for the whole games it's a few seconds, Dirt 5 is a bug as the developer said. All these things are just small anomalies in the end.

Stop that...
Honnestly, I have a little preference for the environment and the xbox UI, that's why I often tend to take the xbox versions of cross-platform games (but also because of my friends on xbox) but I love games exclusive playstation, I think I am particularly open, and especially able to say that your message is a non sense.
Clearly, only DMC5 is running overall a little better on Series X and WD legion which is identical with two consoles, all the others currently run better on PS5, that's a fact... DIRT5 is better in each mode on PS5, mainly the 120fps which on Series X is horrible (yes, a patch will improve but will it reduce the framerate ? The dips on framerate on PS5 will be fixed also and I'm sure the PS5 version will stay better), ACV runs also a sligthly better on PS5, COD CW is running identical in 60fps/RT mode (the framerate issues on PS5 are due to bugs) but better on PS5 in 120 fps mode....
But, overall, the results are currently so close, and what is the most important ? They already all work very well on each consoles (if we don't think about all the crashes with all versions), and I'm happy to play such games with such framerate and quality.
I don't know if it will change or not, if the 3rd party games will run finally better on Series X or on PS5, for me, the only important thing will be if these consoles will allow developers to be able to bring new things in terms of gameplay, graphics engines and fun. It is not, in any case, the hypothetical differences that were on paper (the smallest ever with 2 new consoles) which would really differentiate these two consoles on these points.

Last edited:
Come on. You perfectly know is not like this on ps5, dont compare apple to orange, splitted a unified bandwidth in 2 speeds is not like use it in 2 different processing, you have full decision to how to set such data, not at all in this hybrid solutions of MS, bottlenecks are inevitable, and there will be compromise to use it adequately.
I already responded to his post but it worth repeating. PS5's coherency engine and cache scrubbers save on memory bandwidth while reducing GPU overhead. PS5' GPU is importing and exporting data faster than Series X.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm not inclined to believe the sales chart and will wait for more concrete information, but I can say I worked for GameStop for many years.

Even the PS4 launch I dont recall anything close to the fervor that seems to be coming for PS5. Yeah, it sold out rapidly, but it wasn't this nuts.

I believe it has potential, with the pandemic having the side effect of boosting gaming to really almost be their highest seller ever.

Even so, lifetime I dont see it(nor any console) ever matching PS2.

PS4 *might*, if its still fully supported and price dropped over the next couple of years.

I do not think they plan to beat PS2 in that metric if it does not happen without some massive price cuts and/or major investments. They already got it beat on the revenue generated for the generation story (for Sony and for game developers) which is the more important out of the two I think.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

ywLkuhk.jpg

Of7giyM.jpg

39pPLaQ.jpg

lv9Z9oN.jpg

6OGJqIN.jpg

01y9359.jpg

fXKkU9Z.jpg

PfDa1Zn.jpg

hHpQz9y.jpg

2kS8EpZ.jpg

puYMgdF.jpg

oh my god u just want to take screen captures still images to convince yourself xbox is better

digital foundry said ps5 is best in dirt5 and Valhalla and all people know that in call of duty ps5 is more consistent in 120 fps mode I can cherry pick moment of lowest fps count in xbox series x but I don't have the time or patience for that

and for dirt 5 since when textures quality is a bug??

I did not say that series x is 1180 pixel all the time but the dynamic res goes down to this on series x to help fps but ps5 goes down only to 1440 so it is better

but are not u seeing that just u spending time to bring these images ridicules since series x supposed to be clearly better in resolutions and fps and this is supposed to be not even an argument ?

Last edited:
I already responded to his post but it worth repeating. PS5's coherency engine and cache scrubbers save on memory bandwidth while reducing GPU overhead. PS5' GPU is importing and exporting data faster than Series X.
Cache Scrubbers are essentially a way to scrub caches hence the name. It's like doing timeline scrubbing during video editing where smoother scrubbing means better and more responsive video playback. In cache scrubbing and especially when dedicated hardware is used, it moves (scrubs) from cache to cache in the gpu ,flushing the irrelevant data to free up space in the cache to make up room for the newer more relevant data to be stored (as the caches are faster in most scenarios than ram) while retaining relevant data needed during very specific moments. This along with the coherency engine helps to improve cache hit rates as well as minimise cache invalidation which causes stalls and would cause the system to waste bandwidth refetching data. This saves you precious bandwidth that would otherwise be lost and that bandwidth can be spent on other things. It's a way more efficient caching system than simply doing it in software which could be several times slower and be more time consuming.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
"DIRT5 is better in each mode on PS5, mainly the 120fps which on Series X is horrible (yes, a patch will improve but will it reduce the framerate ? The dips on framerate on PS5 will be fixed also and I'm sure the PS5 version will stay better), ACV runs also a sligthly better on PS5, COD CW is running identical in 60fps/RT mode (the framerate issues on PS5 are due to bugs) but better on PS5 in 120 fps mode...."

You're sure the PS5 version will stay better....you work at Codemasters? If they are fixing the bugs in both there is no reason to think that and the frame drops on PS5 are harsher, VRR takes care of Xbox version.

Activision have said nothing about fixing RT mode on COD PS5, it just can't handle the Ray Tracing, the 120fps is in one helicopter set piece alone, that VRR takes care of again. There is no reason to think Devs will only fix one version to keep it better.

Tripolygon

Banned
Activision have said nothing about fixing RT mode on COD PS5, it just can't handle the Ray Tracing, the 120fps is in one helicopter set piece alone, that VRR takes care of again. There is no reason to think Devs will only fix one version to keep it better.
I don't know if you have amnesia or a terrible short term memory or if you are incapable of accepting reality but again like you have been told in the other threads. COD has a bug that randomly drops performance in certain scenes. it has nothing to do with raytracing in fact raytracing on PS5 in COD is more stable than in XSX.
EteydWB.png

jrYcLre.png

Look at same scene droping on XSX and not PS5

GOZMiSa.png

d8Yt1eL.jpg

ND1ZdFN.jpg

Stop repeating same statement that is clearly not true as you have been told many times.

Imtjnotu

I don't know if you have amnesia or a terrible short term memory or if you are incapable of accepting reality but again like you have been told in the other threads. COD has a bug that randomly drops performance in certain scenes. it has nothing to do with raytracing in fact raytracing on PS5 in COD is more stable than in XSX.
EteydWB.png

jrYcLre.png

Look at same scene droping on XSX and not PS5

GOZMiSa.png

d8Yt1eL.jpg

ND1ZdFN.jpg

Stop repeating same statement that is clearly not true as you have been told many times.
Riky needs this win tho. 11 out of 25 modes have been better on Xbox

Mahavastu

Ok, the fast mem on the XSX is 25% faster then on PS5, the slow mem is 25% slower. This means if your access it 50/50, you reach the same bandwith as on PS5.
But it is more likely to access the faster RAM, because the GPU access it more. A good dev can profile, which data is accessed more often then other and allocate the right part of the memory for the job, also reaching better utilisation of the bandwith.
Therefore overall with a decent dev the average memory bandwith should be higher on XSX.

Of course, if you do it wrong or do additional copies within the memory, you might add bottlenecks or slow the game down, but overall IMHO this part of the architecture is faster on the XSX.

Both solutions have there advantages and disadvantages.
For example the XSX solution adds additional work and makes it slightly more difficult for the dev, which Marc Cerny wants to avoid by any means. And it buys the additional bandwith with higher costs (more RAM controllers, more lanes, more chips).
There are leaks/rumours that the PS5 minimizes the effect of the lower bandwith with a better caching solution, resulting in better performance overall.

SkankHunt420

Neo Member
What I do not quite understand is because many people reach these conclusions for 4 games where ps5 wins very slightly in some cases and we still have 1 month of generation. Nobody has thought that programmers have something to do with their old generation graphics engines. No, it has to be that the Xbox Series X is poorly designed and the PS5 has magical I / O.

Nobody has thought that perhaps the base platform is the ps5 since it has more users and that it is possible that this helps you have better optimization. It would make lot of sense, mostly with the differences about the memory.

Nobody has thought that with the new engines perhaps they take advantage of the Series X more and can considerably improve its performance.

Nobody has thought that perhaps in Series X they are using a new API shared with the PC and that perhaps this makes it more difficult to optimize the console at the moment.

No, many people have thought that both AMD and Microsoft have made a design mistake with the Xbox as there are bottlenecks. Therefore, if in a forum of amateur people they have discovered the Xbox Series X design error then it is because the engineers of Xbox and AMD are useless.

It takes years to make and design a console with large teams and many engineers working on it. But here in just a few months everyone knows that Xbox performs a little less in those games because it has bottlenecks.
Xbox brought it to themselves with their "power" narrative. It was supposed to be a 20% difference in favor of xbox when it came down to multiplats, you guys said ps5 would be trash, rnda 1.5, etc. And now that the time has finally come to show what you got, well, as always the best microsoft exclusives are their promises, while ps5 is beating that beastly 12TF machine in every multiplat. Where is your 20% diff advantaje now? Thats why we come up with those ideas, what is happening with the "most powerful console"? Because it was supposed to brute force everything right?.
Whats is funny, is that most ps fans wanted was parity. Now xbox are the ones begging for it lol.

Elog

There are leaks/rumours that the PS5 minimizes the effect of the lower bandwith with a better caching solution, resulting in better performance overall.

We already know it is better since the PS5 APU has a unified cache between CPU and GPU meaning it is significantly larger for the GPU than on the XSX. The exact size of this advantage is partially unknown though - exactly how large is the highest level cache for the PS5 GPU?

To your point though - the memory bandwidth is not the key bottleneck. The key bottle-neck that cause framerate drops when it happens is when the highest level cache has to grab information from VRAM. This happens more often when the cache is small, i.e. we already know it is smaller on the XSX so it will happen more often. The second point is that the memory bandwidth is not the key problem when getting information from the VRAM - it is latency that is the key problem and it should be the same between the two systems.

onQ123

Ok, the fast mem on the XSX is 25% faster then on PS5, the slow mem is 25% slower. This means if your access it 50/50, you reach the same bandwith as on PS5.
But it is more likely to access the faster RAM, because the GPU access it more. A good dev can profile, which data is accessed more often then other and allocate the right part of the memory for the job, also reaching better utilisation of the bandwith.
Therefore overall with a decent dev the average memory bandwith should be higher on XSX.

Of course, if you do it wrong or do additional copies within the memory, you might add bottlenecks or slow the game down, but overall IMHO this part of the architecture is faster on the XSX.

Both solutions have there advantages and disadvantages.
For example the XSX solution adds additional work and makes it slightly more difficult for the dev, which Marc Cerny wants to avoid by any means. And it buys the additional bandwith with higher costs (more RAM controllers, more lanes, more chips).

Here is a question have we seen any real world examples where we can see that PS5 is bandwidth limited vs Xbox Series X yet?

So do devs have to keep the GPU pool under 10GB to get the full bandwidth & in that case wouldn't PS5 end up being able to supply more physical RAM to the GPU?

Mahavastu

We already know it is better since the PS5 APU has a unified cache between CPU and GPU meaning it is significantly larger for the GPU than on the XSX. The exact size of this advantage is partially unknown though - exactly how large is the highest level cache for the PS5 GPU?
it is not really confirmed, is it? Only more and more leaks and rumors, eg. by RedGaming and so on.
Sure about the unified cache between CPU and GPU? it is the first time I hear about it. So far it was about unified cache in the CPU, instead of a 4+4 config.

To your point though - the memory bandwidth is not the key bottleneck. The key bottle-neck that cause framerate drops when it happens is when the highest level cache has to grab information from VRAM. This happens more often when the cache is small, i.e. we already know it is smaller on the XSX so it will happen more often. The second point is that the memory bandwidth is not the key problem when getting information from the VRAM - it is latency that is the key problem and it should be the same between the two systems.
yepp. Pretty much what I was trying to write :messenger_grinning:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom