• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mahavastu

Here is a question have we seen any real world examples where we can see that PS5 is bandwidth limited vs Xbox Series X yet?
Not that I know of.
It is very likely that the PS5 has made some tweaking with the cache, resulting in better cache hit rate, resulting in less data loaded from the RAM itself, resulting in reduced stress of the bandwith.
Therefore it is possible that because of the better cache there is no problem despite the lower bandwith.

So do devs have to keep the GPU pool under 10GB to get the full bandwidth & in that case wouldn't PS5 end up being able to supply more physical RAM to the GPU?
If the dev on the XSX keeps the often used data in the fast 10GB, the memory itself (compared to a solution like on the PS5) should be faster. But this is only a small part of the overall performance story, see caches.

Xbox brought it to themselves with their "power" narrative. It was supposed to be a 20% difference in favor of xbox when it came down to multiplats, you guys said ps5 would be trash, rnda 1.5, etc. And now that the time has finally come to show what you got, well, as always the best microsoft exclusives are their promises, while ps5 is beating that beastly 12TF machine in every multiplat. Where is your 20% diff advantaje now? Thats why we come up with those ideas, what is happening with the "most powerful console"? Because it was supposed to brute force everything right?.
Whats is funny, is that most ps fans wanted was parity. Now xbox are the ones begging for it lol.

I see your point but I think a lot of the 20% better etc etc was down to (I don't like to use this term) fanboys, I don't recall MS saying anything like that, granted they have been touting "the world's most powerful console" which they have failed to show.

Mr Moose

The first comparison I saw was DMC5 where the Xbox outperformed the PS5 in 3 out of four modes, Call OF Duty has big drops in RT mode on PS5, Dirt 5 had big drops in 120hz mode on PS5 and now Valhalla drops to 51fps on PS5 as well as PS5 Watch Dogs having no puddle reflections.

It's nowhere near as clear cut as Xbox One running in 720p v 1080p on COD Ghosts.
Devil May Cry by... Something like 3%?
Call of Duty drops are a bug, which has been confirmed by DF and others, it doesn't happen always and it is in cutscenes (There's a video by DF to confirm this).
DiRT 5 has lower quality assets and resolution(?) on the Series X, which is why it can hold a better framerate in the 120Hz mode. This will be fixed so they will match up, probably.
Valhalla has 47%+ higher resolution on the PS5 in that cutscene where it drops, and it only drops for a few seconds (its not gameplay). And it didn't happen before the patch, so... Ubisuck. As with the RT reflections of puddles in windows, buggy and they look a bit shitty in everything but puddles (they are on Series S but not PS5? Hmm).

People should just be thankful they are so close to each other, no matter which console you choose you're going to have good performance, no one is "missing out" with either of them.
There's two really powerful, Cool'n'Quiet consoles out there, enjoy them (not directed at just you, this is for everyone lol).

ethomaz

Banned
it is not really confirmed, is it? Only more and more leaks and rumors, eg. by RedGaming and so on.
Sure about the unified cache between CPU and GPU? it is the first time I hear about it. So far it was about unified cache in the CPU, instead of a 4+4 config.

yepp. Pretty much what I was trying to write :messenger_grinning:
It CPU L3 cached unified between CCX.
Zen 2 has separated cache to each CCX.

That means if the Core 1 wants to get the same data used in Core 5 on Zen 2 that data needs to be fetched again while on Zen 3 / PS5 it is already there so you economize dozen of Core cycles.

Imtjnotu

That means if the Core 1 wants to get the same data used in Core 5 on Zen 2 that data needs to be fetched again while on Zen 3 / PS5 it is already there so you economize dozen of Core cycles.
Are we for certain that ps5 CPU cache is unified or we just going off leaks still?

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's not even vague, it's not there in the first place.

I am not a kid and in the context of the game there is no sexual joke to be seen. Anyone may say things like "I kept the best snack for you", any close friend does that, and we teach our kids that sharing is caring. In EVERY sitcom/movie there is someone declaring "miss me already?" I say that to my kids when I go shopping and they come to hug me before I leave for a couple of hours. I mean, there is absolutelly nothing sexual in that clip. Nothing at all.

I think you missed the rather obvious innuendo about being restrained. Obvious to an adult, vague enough to where a child would just ignore it.

GreyHand23

I think you missed the rather obvious innuendo about being restrained. Obvious to an adult, vague enough to where a child would just ignore it.

I don’t think it was obvious. If it wasn’t presented as something that was inappropriate by the person who tweeted most people wouldn’t even think of it. Even with that, it’s harmless and I think reaching to attribute any sexual meaning to what’s being said is poor form and a problem with society today.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I don’t think it was obvious. If it wasn’t presented as something that was inappropriate by the person who tweeted most people wouldn’t even think of it. Even with that, it’s harmless and I think reaching to attribute any sexual meaning to what’s being said is poor form and a problem with society today.
I'm not saying it is a problem, at all.. on the contrary..

But it is definitely sexual. The one character starts the convo flirting.. then the doctor said something about needing to restrain them, and the character even responded with something like "Oh you, not while the camera is on" in a flirty voice. It's a BDSM joke.

That's what I remember anyways.. please don't make me listen to that awful voice acting again lol

Codeblew

Im engineer in computer sciencie (6 years in Europe with project included (old system)) and I have three masters, one in electronics, another in java, and one mba. Also i was studying 3 years electronics before start computer science.

Also I was working as Java dev for 5 years, Android dev and before that like a system administrator.

I have knowledge in ASM 8086, Pascal, Cobol, C++, Python, BBDD, HTML5 and CSS3.

Currently I´m general manager in a manufacturer company from 7 years ago.

Oh yes, i started programming computers with 8 years, I have 45 now.
TIL you can get a masters degree in a programming language.

Reactions: TJC

It's worse than this, as I believe the data needs to be written back to main RAM, then read in to Core 5... so more like thousands of clock cycles of latency for a 3+GHz desktop-class CPU.

Are we for certain that ps5 CPU cache is unified or we just going off leaks still?

Based on the recently discovered BC patent by Mark Cerny, I think we can pretty much determine this as confirmed... at least to the extent that any of these more subtle microarchitectural details will ever get officially confirmed.

Redtemplar

Neo Member
"Why The Xbox Series X Is 2020’s Biggest Gaming Disappointment"

Forbes says "Why The Xbox Series X Is 2020’s Biggest Gaming Disappointment"

Some quotes from Forbe:
"Thanks to Microsoft’s platform-wide OS, a lack of optimized games, as well as the comparatively decent technical performance of the One X that came before it, there’s nothing particularly stunning about the Series X in 2020, save for its monolithic design. It doesn’t feel exciting-just an inevitable upgrade for gamers like me who’ve bought into the Microsoft gaming ecosystem."

"Halo Infinite is infinitely delayed, and even upon release, it’ll be the last standalone game in the series for a decade. Other games like Fable, State of Decay 3 and Forza are planned, but lacking solid release dates. Most of the rest of the hyped “exclusives”, like Psychonauts 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, are simply being released earlier on the Series X: the stupidest marketing ploy in gaming, whoever’s doing it."

darkleemar

Neo Member
"Why The Xbox Series X Is 2020’s Biggest Gaming Disappointment"

Forbes says "Why The Xbox Series X Is 2020’s Biggest Gaming Disappointment"

Some quotes from Forbe:
"Thanks to Microsoft’s platform-wide OS, a lack of optimized games, as well as the comparatively decent technical performance of the One X that came before it, there’s nothing particularly stunning about the Series X in 2020, save for its monolithic design. It doesn’t feel exciting-just an inevitable upgrade for gamers like me who’ve bought into the Microsoft gaming ecosystem."

"Halo Infinite is infinitely delayed, and even upon release, it’ll be the last standalone game in the series for a decade. Other games like Fable, State of Decay 3 and Forza are planned, but lacking solid release dates. Most of the rest of the hyped “exclusives”, like Psychonauts 2 and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2, are simply being released earlier on the Series X: the stupidest marketing ploy in gaming, whoever’s doing it."

Boy that article is pretty accurate. I feel the same way regarding the series x. The one x was a really cool piece of kit. I have always been a ps guy but bought the one x and really liked it for how quiet it was compared to my pro, and the back compat was really awesome. But I can't get excited about the series x. It just feels like I have already seen and used it. Not even getting into the way games have been playing on it compared to the ps5. Hell even the name of the thing is disappointing. It just feels like a weird continuation of last gen. Even the controller is essentially the same I have for my one x. Hopefully things improve for it because competition is important, but sheesh microsoft really has no idea how to launch a new console gen it seems.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Series X behaves too much like a Xbox One X 2.0 at the moment but it’s an evolving platform.

The lack of first party offerings that excite people jumping into next gen is something MS deserves to be run over the coals with and is quite hilarious to see people defend that shit show. We can’t even say that 2020 was a strong year for Xbox and that people will have to option to play those amazing exclusives that came out. Gets worse when you think 2021 might be just as bad.

RaZoR No1

Series X behaves too much like a Xbox One X 2.0 at the moment but it’s an evolving platform.

The lack of first party offerings that excite people jumping into next gen is something MS deserves to be run over the coals with and is quite hilarious to see people defend that shit show. We can’t even say that 2020 was a strong year for Xbox and that people will have to option to play those amazing exclusives that came out. Gets worse when you think 2021 might be just as bad.
Yeah,
Having the same UI didn't help here either...
The *checktheUIandseewhatsnew* moment was just left out and in the end we really just received a beefed up Xbox One X. Like you would upgrade a PC.
No new or next Gen feel except the snappines and better performing games.

On PS5 everything felt fresh and new.

I completely understand why MS did this, but still...
Nevertheless I am enjoying both consoles at the moment

Godfavor

They are, but they have the option to alleviate bottlenecks by moving the goal posts in most situation.

Hit a limit on current setup? Get a new part with extra headroom, bigger & better CPUs/GPUs with larger, faster VRAM or caches, etc to move the location of the limiting factor. although we are heading for a time, this gen or next when there will be no way round tightly coupled systems with unified memory by just bolting on something with headroom.

Sweeney's comments regarding the PS5 SSD/IO complex and UE5 demo implies it is likely to be this gen IMHO, and this was echoing the praise Carmack had for the console choice of APU with unified memory before the start of the previous gen.

This is unrelated with the headroom that PC's has, nor the upgradability.

DDR4 on PC does NOT bottleneck the GDDR6 even when the CPU DOES NOT SHARE cache with the GPU. When gaming on PC, the CPU is used for things like audio, draw calls and physics. This is NO diffrerent of how SERIES X operates. DDR 4 is used for the slow parts (audio etc.) and the fast pool for the GPU parts.

It seems that this is too difficult for people here to understand ..

assurdum

Banned
Ok, the fast mem on the XSX is 25% faster then on PS5, the slow mem is 25% slower. This means if your access it 50/50, you reach the same bandwith as on PS5.
But it is more likely to access the faster RAM, because the GPU access it more. A good dev can profile, which data is accessed more often then other and allocate the right part of the memory for the job, also reaching better utilisation of the bandwith.
Therefore overall with a decent dev the average memory bandwith should be higher on XSX.

Of course, if you do it wrong or do additional copies within the memory, you might add bottlenecks or slow the game down, but overall IMHO this part of the architecture is faster on the XSX.

Both solutions have there advantages and disadvantages.
For example the XSX solution adds additional work and makes it slightly more difficult for the dev, which Marc Cerny wants to avoid by any means. And it buys the additional bandwith with higher costs (more RAM controllers, more lanes, more chips).
There are leaks/rumours that the PS5 minimizes the effect of the lower bandwith with a better caching solution, resulting in better performance overall.
I don't deny is faster but use such solution especially when you have to fill so many CUs not seem exactly so practical. The only reason because MS did this is for their priorities in the multiplat development and not because it gives any sort of benefit in the series X hardware. For example the problematic performance I seen in Valhalla seems caused to such configuration.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Yeah,
Having the same UI didn't help here either...
The *checktheUIandseewhatsnew* moment was just left out and in the end we really just received a beefed up Xbox One X. Like you would upgrade a PC.
No new or next Gen feel except the snappines and better performing games.
When Microsoft changed the Window 7 UI to the Windows 8 Metro UI people complained
Now they decided to keep something that works for Xbox UI people are complaining

Not pulling your leg, take no offense.
But after what Sony did with the PSN Store I'm more glad when companies don't attempt to "revolutionize" everything.

IntentionalPun

The PS5 UI is... mostly the same lol

I absolutely love my PS5 as a really fast machine to mostly play last-gen games at this point. I honestly don't know why any Xbox owner wouldn't be happy with the same thing on the other side.

(other than having less last-gen games to play since MS sort of shit the bed on exclusives, but... that has little to do with the XSX)

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Folks should keep in mind that XSX's memory setup was a compromise and not an inherent designed in advantage.

MS wanted a bus wider than 256bit, to achieve higher memory bandwidth. Which was likely driven by their desire to push RT and ML performance on the XSX. A more conventional 386bit bus design would have been waaaay too cost prohibitive. And they weren't gonna go HAM with RAM chip clocks, paying top dollar for top of the range 16+Gbit/s GDDR6 chips.

So the mixed density chip design was about the only way they could achieve high enough memory bandwidth to feed a 12TFLOPs GPU while also doubling the XB1's RAM capacity to 16GB. It just just comes with the awkward downside of being more tricky to manage on the developer side of things.
And the Series X chip was also built to be a server chip for XCloud. To run 4 Xbox One games at once.

So Xbox One games use 5 GB of RAM each. 4x5=20. So what bus width would they want on the SoC to hook up 20 GB of RAM? 320 bit and 10 x 2GB GDDR6 chips. They just cut cost on the console and went down to 16 GB. But its perfect for XCloud servers.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
When Microsoft changed the Window 7 UI to the Windows 8 Metro UI people complained
Now they decided to keep something that works for Xbox UI people are complaining

Not pulling your leg, take no offense.
But after what Sony did with the PSN Store I'm more glad when companies don't attempt to "revolutionize" everything.
Except that windows 8 UI was absolutely shitty except for maybe tablet users, which isn't really what people buying an OS for their pc wanted.
When they changed it back in the update or win10 most people were happy.

HoofHearted

saintjules

Glad I didn't buy Control recently.. will add that to the backlog..
I had bought it a little after release. I'm near the end, but annoyed by this one area I couldn't get past.

I might have to grind. I know the loading was harsh when respawning. Hoping that has changed on the Series X.

Last edited:

gt_connect

Neo Member
There is supposed to be more than 2 fan models on PS5. Fan B was the one that came in my console... I can hear the noise at times even while playing... I find it strange that people are saying that ps5 is deadly quiet, but even on games like astrobot and days gone the noise is there.... I may ask a replacement if the other consoles are quieter :(

Last edited:

Lemondish

The PS5 UI is... mostly the same lol

Spoken like someone that has not yet interacted with the Activity cards, I guess.

There are so many modifications and improvements in the PS5 UI, from the app switcher, to the controller power options on the quickbar, to the Store being an intrinsic part of the system, to the separation of games and media. Some are big, seismic improvements, while most are small quality of life changes that truly add up. The whole thing is impressively smooth and responsive with a visual overhaul to boot.

I can't comment on the Xbox side because I don't have one, but if you can't see the differences between what the PS5 UI and what was standard on PS4 for years, then you clearly aren't paying attention.

Last edited:

TJC

There is supposed to be more than 2 fan models on PS5. Fan B was the one that came in my console... I can hear the noise at times even while playing... I find it strange that people are saying that ps5 is deadly quiet, but even on games like astrobot and days gone the noise is there.... I may get a replacement if the other consoles are quieter :(

What if they send you one with the same fan as your current one? Compared to PS4 pro this is whisper quiet. Mine makes a humming noise that I can hear when the rooms Silent but with background noise or game sound on its irrelevant.

IntentionalPun

Spoken like someone that has not yet interacted with the Activity cards, I guess.

There are so many modifications and improvements in the PS5 UI, from the app switcher, to the controller power options on the quickbar, to the Store being an intrinsic part of the system, to the separation of games and media. Some are big, seismic improvements, while most are small quality of life changes that truly add up. The whole thing is impressively smooth and responsive with a visual overhaul to boot.

I can't comment on the Xbox side because I don't have one, but if you can't see the differences between what the PS5 UI and what was standard on PS4 for years, then you clearly aren't paying attention.
No I don't really care about activity cards.. just not really how I game at all.

Also stuff like the store is just something I naturally rarely interact with as well.

The "app switcher" is... just a different place to access the same icons that show up on the home screen... so while I checked it out, I don't use it at this point.

And I get annoyed at having to use the "quick bar" to power the system down when it's slower than holding down the PS button on PS4.

So for me, using the PS5.. UI wise.. feels barely different than PS4.. other than it being BLAZING FAST.. which is the real advancement I'm pleased with.

I do like that media is a seperate "tab" of sorts but in the end it's barely different than just choosing the TV/Video thing on PS4... other than.. it being BLAZING FAST lol

edit: To be clear you make some valid points.. I should have said "for my use it's mostly the same".. because that's true.. other than rest mode being completely broken lol

Last edited:

kyliethicc

No I don't really care about activity cards.. just not really how I game at all.

Also stuff like the store is just something I naturally rarely interact with as well.

The "app switcher" is... just a different place to access the same icons that show up on the home screen... so while I checked it out, I don't use it at this point.

And I get annoyed at having to use the "quick bar" to power the system down when it's slower than holding down the PS button on PS4.

So for me, using the PS5.. UI wise.. feels barely different than PS4.. other than it being BLAZING FAST.. which is the real advancement I'm pleased with.

I do like that media is a seperate "tab" of sorts but in the end it's barely different than just choosing the TV/Video thing on PS4... other than.. it being BLAZING FAST lol

"So for me, drving the Ferrari... feels barely different than a Toyota.. other than being BLAZING FAST."

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

"So for me, drving the Ferrari... feels barely different than a Toyota.. other than being BLAZING FAST."

My point was the speed is the real advancement for me, and XSX owners enjoy that same kind of advancement (a much faster UI.)

Not sure what the point of your snark is here. I am saying the speed difference is exactly what makes this gen worth it... soooo.. your little dweeby analogy here fails lol

Last edited:

saintjules

There is supposed to be more than 2 fan models on PS5. Fan B was the one that came in my console... I can hear the noise at times even while playing... I find it strange that people are saying that ps5 is deadly quiet, but even on games like astrobot and days gone the noise is there.... I may ask a replacement if the other consoles are quieter :(

It's weird, but I hear A being played under B. They sure they didn't mute the first one when showing B?

Better than the jet.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

No I didn't. You gotta listen to the shit that is on children's cartoons :D I am looking at you, Teen Titans Go!
Yes childrens cartoons have sexual inuendo.. not sure why you are pointing that out.

You clearly missed the ineuendo in Bugsnax.. as.. well.. you did... you said their was no sexual joke to be seen.. now you are saying "no look,, other things have sexual jokes!"

People are so fucking pathological about admitting wrong on the internet jesus fucking christ lol Stop being liars.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

I had bought it a little after release. I'm near the end, but annoyed by this one area I couldn't get past.

I might have to grind. I know the loading was harsh when respawning. Hoping that has changed on the Series X.

Well all forms of loading on XSX are immensely improved now. I wonder when the enhanced version is coming out for XSX/PS5 - as I may wait until it comes out..

Though I already have a ton of backlog PS4 games I'm now playing through on my PS5.

Garani

Yes childrens cartoons have sexual inuendo.. not sure why you are pointing that out.

You clearly missed the ineuendo in Bugsnax.. as.. well.. you did.

People are so fucking pathological about admitting wrong on the internet jesus fucking christ lol

I honestly don't get what you are trying to say. I am telling you that the part about the restrain is not sexual in a children context. And franckly, I have seen/heard worse (still looking at you, Teen Titans Go!)

saintjules

Well all forms of loading on XSX are immensely improved now. I wonder when the enhanced version is coming out for XSX/PS5 - as I may wait until it comes out..

Though I already have a ton of backlog PS4 games I'm now playing through on my PS5.

I was thinking to buy the UE at $20 since I saw a sale for it, but since I'm close to the end, I said forget it. Would be curious to see the improvements all around though.

Imtjnotu

I haven't heard anything from mine so I got lucky I guess. Doesn't matter what game is on. My router might be louder than my ps5

IntentionalPun

I honestly don't get what you are trying to say. I am telling you that the part about the restrain is not sexual in a children context. And franckly, I have seen/heard worse (still looking at you, Teen Titans Go!)

You missed the obvious sexual innuendo.

It's not a big deal.

Lying about it.. is a big deal..

Missing things = not a big deal

Lies = big deal

This is my lesson on how to not be a dogshit human being on the internet.

ethomaz

Banned

MS thought no more generations was a good ideia so they made Series X a new interaction upgrade in Xbox One family.

No new UI.
No nee controller.

Plus the fact they could not have one single big AAA game for the launch hurt it even more.

Series X = The best place to play Xbox BC games.
Series S = The cheapest place to play Xbox BC games.

ethomaz

Banned

Even near the console I could not hear the fan.

I consider my OG PS4 very silent but if I go near it I can hear the spin.
On PS5 not.

Last edited:

Garani

You missed the obvious sexual innuendo.

It's not a big deal.

Lying about it.. is a big deal..

Missing things = not a big deal

Lies = big deal

This is my lesson on how to not be a dogshit human being on the internet.
What can I tell you. You probably need to get down from the soap box and maybe review how you approach others accusing them without proof just because you are on a war path about nothing. Chill man.

IntentionalPun

What can I tell you. You probably need to get down from the soap box and maybe review how you approach others accusing them without proof just because you are on a war path about nothing. Chill man.
Or you could stop lying about completely pointless things.

I have "proof"; your words lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom