• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Number Of PlayStation Plus Subscribers Increased By 22% YoY To 47.4M Subscribers In 2020

As of December 2020, there were 47.4M PS Plus subscribers, a 22% YoY increase from 2019. There were also 114M active users of PSN’s free digital entertainment service as of the same time period.

reksveks

Number Of PlayStation Plus Subscribers Increased By 22% YoY To 47.4M Subscribers In 2020

It could be right but we got anything better than

According to data presented by Safe Betting Sites, Playstation Plus grew to 47.4M subscribers in 2020 – a 22% YoY increase from 2019.

Doesn't fill me with confidence

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Uncharted wouldn’t have been open world and if you open the 2020 link you’ll see it states the work started in 2019.
We will see soon enough. lets hope Jason is wrong. I really dont want the last two years to have been a waste. I was hoping for a Days Gone sequel in April 2022 thinking three years would be enough to do a sequel now that they have an engine, characters and gameplay all refined.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

At $60 a pop, thats $2.8 billion a year. That's all the money Avatar and Avengers End Game made.

Almost all of it is profit too since Online play is handled by third parties who host their own servers, and the PSN store pays for itself with the 30% cut they receive from all sales. The only money they spend is on Cloud Save servers, PS+ games and PSN server upkeep. I'd say around $2 billion of it is pure profit.

That's why I am shocked to see MS put everything on PC. This is free money. Gamepass isnt. And every time someone buys an MS game on PC instead of Xbox, MS loses a potential XBL Gold sub. Same goes for Sony I guess. Just focus on selling consoles guys. That's your ecosystem. That's your meal ticket. Literal free money.

Last edited:

cragarmi

We will see soon enough. lets hope Jason is wrong. I really dont want the last two years to have been a waste. I was hoping for a Days Gone sequel in April 2022 thinking three years would be enough to do a sequel now that they have an engine, characters and gameplay all refined.
No worries, sometimes games just don't pan out, besides its not as if those 2 years were a complete waste, whatever features they added to the engine can be used on their next project, if for example they added an RT pipeline for their lighting system. Also preliminary work on the new IP was likely going alongside, with a small team whilst the main team were starting in pre-production for Days Gone 2. I think they can still make 2023.

DJTaurus

That’s what i call green power. What a technical marvel Xbox ecosystem is 💪

8964-FEAE-DDB7-4-E39-8-A37-7-AEE99801-AFD.png

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's why I am shocked to see MS put everything on PC. This is free money. Gamepass isnt. And every time someone buys an MS game on PC instead of Xbox, MS loses a potential XBL Gold sub. Same goes for Sony I guess. Just focus on selling consoles guys. That's your ecosystem. That's your meal ticket. Literal free money.
I think people aren't as likely to "move to PC" or "buy something on PC" just because it's released as many on this forum seem to think.

It's basic math for them.

Extra sales from releasing on PC > money lost from people leaving console platform or buying less there

Sony is more cautious for now; a bit more worried about the potential lost console consumers.. but are coming around to the same idea.

Lysandros

Variable Clock won't be more performante only if the chip was bad designed and it stutter to reach higher clocks.
I can only think only of some RX 480 that have some issues to increase clock and throttled even below the base clock (that should be the fixed one).

But that is exception... variable clock will always give more performance because the lowest close is the base that is equal in performance to the fixed one. Imagine PS5 can run fixed at 2000Mhz... with variable clock it will range between 2000-2230Mhz that give you better performance than 2000Mhz fixed.

Series X could run between 1850Mhz and 2xxxMhz with variable clock that is better than 1850Mhz fixed.
There is actually no harm in variable clock... the worst case scenario is performance equal to fixed clocks but that rarely happens because most of time it will be higher than what you have in fixed.
Let clarify this to avoid confusion; are you saying that PS5 will downclock as much as 12% and its custom continuous boost+smartshift feature isn't any different from a stock PC GPU's variable frequency like RX 480?

That’s what i call green power. What a technical marvel Xbox ecosystem is 💪

8964-FEAE-DDB7-4-E39-8-A37-7-AEE99801-AFD.png

I don't think there's necessarily anything surprising about this difference at all.

It's expected due to the difference between the slower wider GPU design and the narrower faster PS5 design.

Operating at higher clocks increases power consumption super-linearly. So it's a given the PS5 will draw more power from the wall than XSX.

That said, I'd argue that both consoles being able to routinely pull 200+W, boast next-gen performance, maintain a console form factor, as well as include solid state storage for their mass storage devices, all for a less than $500 retail price makes them both exceptional feats of hardware engineering.

Sony mentioned these numbers 2 months ago during their fiscal year report

ethomaz

Banned
Let clarify this to avoid confusion; are you saying that PS5 will downclock as much as 12% and its custom continuous boost+smartshift feature isn't any different from a stock PC GPU's variable frequency like RX 480?
It is actually not different in terms of tech... the ability to down and up clock exists in all processors.
It is different in terms of implementation...
Radeon boost clock is based in power target while PS5 is based in workload.

The data, you can call logic, they use to down or up the clock is different.

RX 480 had issues... it should never go below base clock but it reached a high power draw making the clocks go below the base clock... RX 580 doesn’t suffer that issue anymore... some independent test showed that just using a lower vcore stabilized the clock so it could be something in AMD settings.

Now the 12% I have no ideia... I just used some random numbers to explain... PS5 drops clock below 2230Mhz how much depend of the workload but I have no ideia what these clocks are.

BTW GPUs doesn’t have Power Control unit for Smart Shift... it is only exists in APU and PS5 uses a customer Power Control unit due the logic being different from AMD.

Just being clear... the difference in PS5 is the logic customized in the Power Control that send the signal to GPU/CPU down/upclock.

Last edited:
Looks like a downgrade is coming but it's still the best character model I've seen this gen outside of the dice render.

nKJwvJf.jpg

Looking at those two side by side it has quite a bit left before it matches the original trailer. I wonder if Hellblade 2 will give GoW Ragnarak and future Naughty Dog character models a run for their money?

So whats people's thoughts on XSX SSD IO Raw 5gb/s throughput? 🤔

With uncompressed data?

I thought the XSX was a lot lower for that.

Xbox-PS5-Chart.png

It is still a raw. You can't change hardware numbers. They've mentioned that in other thread : "It's still 2.4GB/s raw, and it does this, but only when the OS and hardware aren't doing anything else. "

Dabaus

Banned
In hindsight it’s hilarious how MS showed a cg trailer of hellblade 2, claimed it was in engine which doesn’t mean anything, and the debate became about teraflops. The biggest irony of it all is the series S exists so even if the X could pump graphics out like that trailer it never will because the S will hold it back.

So whats people's thoughts on XSX SSD IO Raw 5gb/s throughput? 🤔
It may not be as good as the PS5’s but just the presence of an SSD is important to how games are designed, the low latency is important especially when it comes to streaming in high resolution textures and geometry and it will be critical to how game worlds are designed and managed.

People say that the PC space has had SSD’s for years with no such benefits but it’s obvious that game developers have not designed games around SSD’s for the past couple of years because they were held back by the HDD’s of the consoles.

Now that SSD’s are close to becoming the standard, developers will push the boundaries of what SSD’s are capable of, beyond loading times. The asset (geometry and textures) streaming pipeline will need to be overhauled and revised to take advantage of this technology and the Unreal Engine 5 demo showed us a glimpse of this.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
"Another one" (feature) which is DX12 only.

You thought lol

New-Project-2-scaled-1280x720.jpg

Rea

Like AMD Smartshift? Has anyone explained the technical difference between Sony's variable clock system and AMD's one?
They are similar but different, Sony's might be using the same Platform Control from AMD SmartShift which uses machine learning algorithm to predict power consumption based on workload.
SmartShift doesn't boost clocks, it just divert power from cpu to gpu vice versa based on silicon activity and software that you're running.
PS5 continuous boost clock has nothing to do with SmartShift, in ps5 SmartShift is added in order to divert power from cpu when cpu has extra power available, then divert it to already boosted gpu to squeeze out more performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom