• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
and hopefully allow downloading for all the games rather than streaming only.
Yeah, if they really have no plans of adding some sort of backwards compatibility to the PS5 in the future (if that's possible), then I assume running on the cloud would be the only way to solve the problem.

Which is a shame, really.

Last edited:

demigod

In regards to Days Gone 2, Alex just brought up a pretty good point. Why port Days Gone to PC if you are killing the franchise?

The latest DF Direct is actually pretty good. All three bring up some good points regarding Days Gone. John liked it more than other open world games due to its survival aspect (i.e., bike/gas mechanics) and Richard brought up how pretty much every new Sony IP takes a long time to make. Yes, Days Gone took 7 years but Horizon took 6 years to make too. He also brought up KZ2. I think Bend did a pretty good job with the 100 devs they had. Give them 300 devs like GG and ND, and they would put out a sequel in half the time.
I don’t believe Jason. Day’s Gone was profitable, the PC sale will boost it even further to justify a sequel.

VFXVeteran

Banned
In regards to Days Gone 2, Alex just brought up a pretty good point. Why port Days Gone to PC if you are killing the franchise?

The latest DF Direct is actually pretty good. All three bring up some good points regarding Days Gone. John liked it more than other open world games due to its survival aspect (i.e., bike/gas mechanics) and Richard brought up how pretty much every new Sony IP takes a long time to make. Yes, Days Gone took 7 years but Horizon took 6 years to make too. He also brought up KZ2. I think Bend did a pretty good job with the 100 devs they had. Give them 300 devs like GG and ND, and they would put out a sequel in half the time.
Yea, this is why I tell people that these developers basically has ONE shot at the new generation before they have to go back and develop for the next-next gen cycle. If you don't see any stellar stuff this go around, you'll have to wait for PS6.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

Yea, this is why I tell people that these developers basically has ONE shot at the new generation before they have to go back and develop for the next-next gen cycle. If you don't see any stellar stuff this go around, you'll have to wait for PS6.
Wrong. Sony first party studios have been doubling down in size and capacity. Their output will be much bigger than previous generations, expect minimum of 2 games from each studio this gen.

Pedro Motta

It’s unimpressive to high end PC. It’s like when you drive a Ferrari that Civic SIR will feel like shit afterwards. But it’s only because you tasted the best.
Funny because I feel like driving a Ferrari when I play Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, TLOU2 etc. PC is powerful, but ultimately content is king. Playing PUBG with a 3090 is like driving a Dodge Viper down a cliff.

kyliethicc

I will reinstall the game on my 3090 and I’m sure I will get more then 60 FPS at 4K native...
For 10x the cost

Rhyming Leonardo Dicaprio GIF

Flower Flex GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

SSfox

Jason can be wrong about DG2 state, but there is the "MUH Metacritic MUH".

Jim Ryan and Hermen Hulst are too stupid to make their own opinion and know if a game is great or not great, so they need that "MUH reviews scores MUH", that's what happen when you have full businessmen/ or women that are much more passionate about money than games, that lead a gaming brand.

You port Days Gone to PC because it's easy money....just like they've done with other titles.

3liteDragon

Utter PS5 Sales Dominance Is The Only Narrative That Matters To Sony Right Now - Forbes
I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, even though Microsoft has had a strong start to this generation, full of big, splashy headlines like them buying Bethesda or adding this or that game to Xbox Game Pass, Sony has been quiet because…they can be. While Sony has not purchased any huge companies or come up with a real counter to Game Pass, what they have been doing is selling a truly massive amount of PS5s, a number that would be even larger were they not constantly supply limited.

Officially, the PS5 is the fastest selling console in US history, by both unit and dollar sales, according to a recent report from the NPD. While we don’t have exact global figures, it stands to reason it’s doing well in the rest of the world where PlayStation is usually picked over Xbox in most countries, with a few exceptions. It is impossible to understate the amount of goodwill Sony harvested from the PS4 generation, again, a relatively “quiet” run in any sense other than a console free of bells and whistles (and Kinects), and one that simply cranked out a large number of must-have first party games. So far, that seems to be the exact same plan this time around.

While Microsoft’s plan has changed from the launch of last generation, as I’ve said before, they’re in a position that requires them to tell their consumers to wait a long, long time for the fruits of their labor and recent purchases. Huge Bethesda games like Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 don’t even have set release years. And outside of Halo Infinite, which has already been delayed a full year, larger titles like Fable, Avowed and Perfect Dark again, do not have release windows at all.

It also doesn’t help that Sony was yet again more or less able to undercut Xbox’s price. While the next-gen-but-not-really Series S is $300, the digital PS5 is $400 to the Xbox Series X’s $500 (with a disc-based PS5 costing $500). The same $100 gap is effectively present as it was last generation, in addition to Sony’s other built-in advantages heading into this gen. I agree that Sony has been the victim of “bad looks” over the past few months. The entire idea of being the one to raise game prices to $70 looks especially silly in the face of Game Pass, and that culminated in a very awkward situation where Game Pass poached Sony’s own MLB The Show, where it will be $70 on PS5 and “free” on Game Pass due to a sneaky Microsoft deal. Bad look.

But again, it’s one game here or there. Fundamentally Microsoft has launched the Series X without any meaningful exclusives, something that is unlikely to change until next fall with Halo Infinite, but by then, Sony will be spooling up big releases as well like Horizon Forbidden West.

Xbox certainly looks more competitive this generation, but if Sony appears complacent, it’s because they can afford to be. No amount of small PS5 feature annoyances or studios Microsoft has bought seems to be able to unsteady Sony and its decades-long investment in its own studios, and goodwill earned over four generations of consoles now. And if that narrative will change, it may take years for Microsoft’s current investments to bear fruit.

ethomaz

Banned
Utter PS5 Sales Dominance Is The Only Narrative That Matters To Sony Right Now - Forbes
Well one company is the forever talk about waiting games...
The other delivery.
The situation is pretty easy... marketing alone won’t win anything.

IMO I believe this gen gap will be bigger than PS4 : XB1.

Last edited:

SSfox

Hi guys random off topic question, but i just had both my accounts locked on PSN, does someone ever exprienced this?

I take a look online and see some people have exprienced that before, weird.

Now it's working for me after changing my password but that's weird thing, is it a known thing or something? first time i have this in 8 years.

b44bab1aa96ac52c46bfe8ae2080a0a1.jpg

Last edited:
Only fanboys want exclusive titles. Normal gamers dont care about this. If game comes out on multiple platforms, so much the better for players.
Lol

Exclusive games allow for better usage of each machine's full potential. That's why people like exclusives, because it normally raises the quality of the game, not because it stops other people from playing it.

Not sure what "normal" gamers are, maybe you mean casuals? If so I agree, they don't care.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Exactly.

All this is reality. They can be quiet, they can just continue on how they did with the PS4 and let that carry over to the PS5. And yes the PS5DE basically nullified any price for performance advantage MS was going for.

All it means for Sony is better hardware vs PS4 and so far it looks like they are doing fine providing next gen versions or exclusives.

Said it before these consoles launched...the way last gen ended looks eerily like how the PS3, 360 ended. Sony full steam ahead with momentum. And so far this gen is starting the same way last gen started, despite any negative press for Sony. Sony jumped out to a lead they never gave up to MS.

The more the sales gap grow, the harder its gonna be for MS to close it.

Last edited:
He played Horizon Zero Dawn at 30 FPS on his high end PC..... lol

A Ferrari going 25 in traffic..
Sony can fuck off for not patching HzD for the PS5. It’s pretty shitty, in my opinion, to hold a simple 60fps update back for Jim Ryan’s profits and slew of good ideas.

I wouldn’t dare buy a game on Ps5 that doesn’t have it going forward, under the assumption they’ll use it for double dipper potential. If that’s Jim Ryan’s plans, I hope the GPU market ruins it.

Last edited:
Well one company is the forever talk about waiting games...
The other delivery.
The situation is pretty easy... marketing alone won’t win anything.

IMO I believe this gem gap will be bigger than PS4 : XB1.
You mean this gen the gap between PS5 and XSX would be much lesser than the gap between PS4 and Xbox One. Xbox is doing insane numbers on both hardware and game pass subscriptions.

kyliethicc

Sony can fuck off for not patching HzD for the PS5. It’s pretty shitty, in my opinion, to hold a simple 60fps update back for Jim Ryan’s profits and slew of good ideas.

I wouldn’t dare buy a game on Ps5 that doesn’t have it going forward, under the assumption they’ll use it for double dipper potential. If that’s Jim Ryan’s plans, I hope the GPU market ruins it.
Ratchet PS4 was patched in April 2 months before Ratchet PS5 launches...

ever consider they'll do the same with HZD? Both games are being given away for free.

Last edited:

Vagos48

Exactly.

All this is reality. They can be quiet, they can just continue on how they did with the PS4 and let that carry over to the PS5. And yes the PS5DE basically nullified any price for performance advantage MS was going for.

All it means for Sony is better hardware vs PS4 and so far it looks like they are doing fine providing next gen versions or exclusives.

Said it before these consoles launched...the way last gen ended looks eerily like how the PS3, 360 ended. Sony full steam ahead with momentum. And so far this gen is starting the same way last gen started, despite any negative press for Sony. Sony jumped out to a lead they never gave up to MS.

Hardware Sales are not enough for SONY, since probably they sell PS5 at loss. They are building their install base once again, in order to capitalize in the future with software sales. That's where they need to prove themselves once again. That's where MS tries to compete with them by betting on game pass. So maybe that gap is not about hardware. It's about SONY software commercial model vs gamepass.

reksveks

Insane is a bit exaggerated, IMHO.
It probably is exaggerated.

Hardware Sales are not enough for SONY, since probably they sell PS5 at loss. They are building their install base once again, in order to capitalize in the future with software sales. That's where they need to prove themselves once again. That's where MS tries to compete with them by betting on game pass. So maybe that gap is not about hardware. It's about SONY software commercial model vs gamepass.
This is the real comparison if you feel like there is a need to compare, they are different models. The real interesting numbers will be when Microsoft next updates the gamepass subscription numbers. There is an earning call in 2/3 weeks.

Last edited:
Exactly.

Just my opinion and I’ve said it before but MS’s goal seems to be selling game pass subs this gen, I doubt they care what hardware you play on, console, PC, mobile, tablet , probably TV app at some point

In my opinion Series S/X vs PS5 sales is kind of irrelevant/dated, everyone knows they will never outsell Sony, and console sales appear to be a small slice of what MS are trying to achieve long term.

onesvenus

Just my opinion and I’ve said it before but MS’s goal seems to be selling game pass subs this gen, I doubt they care what hardware you play on, console, PC, mobile, tablet , probably TV app at some point

In my opinion Series S/X vs PS5 sales is kind of irrelevant/dated, everyone knows they will never outsell Sony, and console sales appear to be a small slice of what MS are trying to achieve long term.
I also think that's their end goal. Selling consoles is a way to increase spending on their ecosystem, and it's true that's quite difficult to compete with Sony on those grounds, but for them it's just one side of their strategy: allowing Gamepass on all devices should bring much more money faster if the content is there. You are not limited to the number of consoles sold anymore.

kyliethicc

Eventually Microsoft will want Game Pass on PS5.

The only way I can see that happening is if

1) Xbox create a special version of Game Pass just for PS5 that is:
- only 1st party XBS / XBO games (x86 games)
- no 3rd party games (or Sony's MLB The Show. lol)
- like $5 a month
2) share some of that money with Sony (like however EA Play works on PS)
3) Xbox publish all their 1st party XBS / XBO games on the PSN Store for individual purchase.

Basically I bet Xbox would have to become the same as EA currently is on PS5. PS users can buy any/all of EA's games, and/or get EA Play. If that happened, they'd be no threat to Sony's 3rd party money, so maybe Sony would let it happen. There'd be new games to play on PS5 that can either be bought or played via service, both of which would increase PSN revenues. It might be the only way for PS5 users to get to play those big Bethesda games. Which could be why Phil only said those games would be exclusive to "where Game Pass exists."

Last edited:

reksveks

Eventually Microsoft will want Game Pass on PS5.

The only way I can see that happening is if

Basically I bet Xbox would have to become the same as EA currently is on PS5. PS users can buy any/all of EA's games, and/or get EA Play. If that happened, they'd be no threat to Sony's 3rd party money, so maybe Sony would let it happen. There'd be new games to play on PS5 that can either be bought or played via service, both of which would increase PSN revenues. It might be the only way for PS5 users to get to play those big Bethesda games. Which could be why Phil only said those games would be exclusive to "where Game Pass exists."
Think Microsoft isn't after first party game sales, and gamepass revenue is nice but think their priority is still third party money via mtx/dlc. Gamepass on PS5 works against that.

Who knows though.

BigLee74

You can sell more software and services if you sell more hardware 🤷‍♂️

Yes, but if you decouple your software and services from proprietary hardware, and expose it to the countless millions of devices already out there, your potential target base and profits explode overnight.

Selling xboxes is really just a primary foothold for them.

Simple business decision for them, whether or not we like the direction gaming is obviously heading in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom