• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
cheer up

5FCvf7W.jpg
Well I'm hitting couple beers after work. Fuck this day

Doncabesa

If I'm not mistaken it's a legal obligation to provide revenue quarterly and annually for the shareholders. If the numbers are fake that could lead to an law suit. Further explanation is needed Doncabesa Doncabesa if you have anything to add.

Edit: Ok I see where the issue is. It's not the companies that are at fault it's the person that posted that list.

Here's the supposed source.

Figures like the Tencent one are flat out wrong.
Daniel Ahmad on Twitter: "Tencent's total gaming revenue in 2020 was $29.3 billion, up 35.5% YoY. The growth was driven by continued success of legacy games and the launch of new titles both domestically and overseas. The impact of COVID-19 also led to broad increase in gaming engagement and spend. https://t.co/6f6FnxZQlr" / Twitter

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Seeing Sony 1st make me even more pissed on what they did to Japan studio, Jimbo and Hermen those 2 fatfuckers. But hey who cares about Japan Studio when you can throw your money on some timed exclusives like Tokyo Ghostwire and Deathloop, or some TLOU remake that nobody asked for.

Sega 9th, well now no excuse to no make new VF game.

Good to see Namco in this top.
I am actually glad MS went out and bought zenimax because these cheap looking games shouldnt even associated with playstation 5 exclusives. Sony has built this great reputation of gorgeous looking blockbusters over the last couple of gens with even their B studios putting out beautiful titles like Days Gone and Concrete Genie. I take one look at death loop and ghostwire tokyo and im like is this some euro trash game for last gen consoles?

If anything I hope MS goes out and buys more of these third party publishers because then sony wont be able to waste millions of dollars buying third party games that wouldve come out on ps anyway. i really dislike this idea of buying third party exclusives just to keep them off of other platforms a la Rise of Tomb Raider.

id rather they spend those millions funding the next big game from independent studios like KojiPro, Platinum Games, bluepoint, and Ready At Dawn. I cant believe they allowed RAD to get bought out by facebook. such a talented studio. one bad game and discarded.

Curious. Did they keep Mixer servers online after shuttering that business?

Existing mixer pages were turned into Facebook Gaming pages, and I would say that is quite different from people who have physical game discs and who made digital purchases of xbox games they still require access to. It would be the easiest lawsuit in the world if Microsoft were to do away with any of that after what they've established regarding the many generations of games people can play through Xbox consoles.

Microsoft's whole thing is about absolute preservation of everything supported from the Xbox One generation of games and every following generation going forward. it's been their message from the moment they announced the backwards compatibility program. They have the windows like environment with their hypervisor style setup to keep it going long-term. It's a legitimate selling point of the Xbox platform nowadays. It's one of the big selling points of the Series X|S right now. We can tell it isn't going anywhere and neither is Game Pass. With companies like Google and Amazon poking their heads into gaming, Microsoft isn't dropping these services anytime soon. It will stick around for as long as Windows sticks around, as long as PC gaming sticks around, and as long as Microsoft's cloud services business continues to be a major profit driver for the company.

ethomaz

Banned
I won’t try to find more sources but Tecent Gaming Revenue in last quarter of 2020 (Oct-Dec) was $5.98 billion.

Seems a bit hard to believe it made $24 billion in the others three slower quarters.... If I have time tomorrow I will dig into the actual earnings.

These numbers from Zhuge looks suspicious.

Last edited:
I won’t try to find more sources but Tecent Gaming Revenue in last quarter of 2020 (Oct-Dec) was $5.98 billion.

Seems a bit hard to believe it made $24 billion in the others three slower quarters.... If I have time tomorrow I will dig into the actual earnings.

These numbers from Zhuge looks suspicious.
It's not a perfect deduction, but in Q4, 58% of their VAS (value added service) number was gaming and 42% is other stuff. Their total audited VAS revenue for 2020 (so Q1 to Q3) was 40 billion dollars, so gaming would be around 23billion. Zhuge seems to be right.

Btw, here are the actual numbers for the Big Three. The list posted earlier is just wrong.

ExSsSxkVoAIhGG4

Ranking by revenue: 1. Tencent 2. Playstation 3. Nintendo 4. Xbox
Ranking by profits (estimated): 1. Tencent 2. Nintendo 3. Playstation 4. Xbox

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Can you provide those numbers?
ZDNet reported more than $8B for Tencent's gaming revenue in Q3: https://www.zdnet.com/article/tencent-reports-29-revenue-growth-on-online-games-boost/
Different quarters.
It come from the same article that talks about Zhuge claim.

“Tencent also shared the financial results for the fourth quarter ended December 31. Its gaming revenue hit $5.98 billion (up 29% year-over-year), with the company’s international games reaching $1.5 billion in revenue (up 43% year-over-year).”

That is what they posted on earnings.

If you sum these 8b from Q3 with 5.89b from Q4 you have ~14b... Q1 + Q2 should be > 15b to reach the Zhuge numbers.

Last edited:

onesvenus

Different quarters.
It come from the same article that talks about Zhuge claim.

“Tencent also shared the financial results for the fourth quarter ended December 31. Its gaming revenue hit $5.98 billion (up 29% year-over-year), with the company’s international games reaching $1.5 billion in revenue (up 43% year-over-year).”

That is what they posted on earnings.

If you sum these 8b from Q3 with 5.89b from Q4 you have ~14b... Q1 + Q2 should be > 15b to reach the Zhuge numbers.
I know those are different quarters but it seems weird they have 8b in Q3 and 5.89b in Q4.
Do we know which are biggest sales periods in China?

ethomaz

Banned
OMG.

They cut several features in MLB The Show 2021 presents until MLB The Show 2020.
Plus the PS5 version is lacking compared with the PS4 version.

It won’t be a surprise if the scores drops this year.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Basic computer course should be compulsory in hiring anyone in an office environment.

You should NOT BE ALLOWED to operate a fucking computer if you don't have basic computer skills. BASIC !!!!

My 12 year old niece knows what a Windows Start Menu is.

They won't have me pilot the space shuttle if I didn't have the basic skills necessary to operate the fucking thing.

:messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting::messenger_pouting:
You in IT? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Interfectum

People shit on Tencent but some of their developers like TiMi Studios are the best in the business. They actually put out very good mobile games instead of roguelike pixel shit that western Indies peddle on Twitter. Bu bu meh Vita dev kit. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ethomaz

Banned
People shit on Tencent but some of their developers like TiMi Studios are the best in the business. They actually put out very good mobile games instead of roguelike pixel shit that western Indies peddle on Twitter. Bu bu meh Vita dev kit. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I play Saint Seiya Awakening and the netcode is one of the worst things I ever saw in a game... it is pure garbage and I already opened dozen of tickets.
Plus every new update there are several bugs... sometimes complete modes are bugged and they are forced to do off schedules maintenance.
It is developed by TiMi Studios.

So my experience with them are really bad.

Last edited:

Interfectum

I play Saint Seiya Awakening and the netcode is one of the worst things I ever saw in a game... it is pure garbage and I already opened dozen of tickets.
It is developed by TiMi Studios.
I play both Call of Duty: Mobile and Arena of Valor. Not a single issue. 🤷‍♂️

COD:M is probably one of the biggest games on the planet and I can login fine... yet 50% of the time I still can't log into Outriders. AAA SquareEnix game.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I play both Call of Duty: Mobile and Arena of Valor. Not a single issue. 🤷‍♂️

COD:M is probably one of the biggest games on the planet and I can login fine... yet 50% of the time I still can't log into Outriders. AAA SquareEnix game.
It is not about login.
SSA is a turn based game where the netcode should not even be a issue but...

Some times you can't change your party (you have 30 seconds but it ignore it thinking you dropped the connection), the servers doesn't receive the commands, you drop in the middle of the battle (some automatically lose other you enter in auto mode that fuck everything), a lot of time mechanics doesn't work, etc.

It can be server traffics? Yes but that is part of the netcode lol you need to put more servers... I don't know... the game is still very very popular.

Ohhh and bugs... there is maintenance every Wed but it always have some new bug and old bugs are never fixed.

To you have an ideia parts of the story translation become Chinese after maintenance and are never fixed.
They support are really poor.

Eg. Athena (BTW this one is fixed now).

02nkzoa8htr31.png

But it is Saint Seyia... so we continue to play due the nostalgia.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

It's not a perfect deduction, but in Q4, 58% of their VAS (value added service) number was gaming and 42% is other stuff. Their total audited VAS revenue for 2020 (so Q1 to Q3) was 40 billion dollars, so gaming would be around 23billion. Zhuge seems to be right.

Btw, here are the actual numbers for the Big Three. The list posted earlier is just wrong.

ExSsSxkVoAIhGG4

Ranking by revenue: 1. Tencent 2. Playstation 3. Nintendo 4. Xbox
Ranking by profits (estimated): 1. Tencent 2. Nintendo 3. Playstation 4. Xbox
very impressive numbers for all three.

We talk about Sony not investing enough in new studios or new games, but Nintendo needs to start getting some flak too. Where is their Days Gone 2 lol

I used to say that they have positioned themselves as a Mario, Zelda and Mario game, but they dont even do that anymore. They make a zelda game once every 6 years. They havent made a Metroid game in 13 years. 10 if you count that Team Ninja game, and when it comes to mario they mostly just repackage older games without even updating the graphics or framerate. Its quite shocking how they are held to a different standard.

I really hope this Switch 4k is a docked only console with its own exclusives. If I have to play nintendo games designed on 0.19 tflops switch lite in 2022, im gonna riot.

Last edited:

Interfectum

It is not about login.
SSA is a turn based game where the netcode should not even be a issue but...

Some times you can't change your party (you have 30 seconds but it ignore it thinking you dropped the connection), the servers doesn't receive the commands, you drop in the middle of the battle (some automatically lose other you enter in auto mode that fuck everything), a lot of time mechanics doesn't work, etc.

It can be server traffics? Yes but that is part of the netcode lol you need to put more servers... I don't know... the game is still very very popular.

Ohhh and bugs... there is maintenance every Wed but it always have some new bug and old bugs are never fixed.

To you have an ideia parts of the story translation become Chinese after maintenance and are never fixed.
They support are really poor.

Eg. Athena (BTW this one is fixed now).

02nkzoa8htr31.png

But it is Saint Seyia... so we continue to play due the nostalgia.
Huh... that is pretty shitty. I dunno, whenever I see their name pop up on a mobile game I'm usually relieved because I know it will be fun and have some sort of budget / quality behind it. Sucks what is happening to this game though.

SlimySnake

It's funny how basic things like this took three patches to get right. Man some of these devs... we need to stop putting devs on a pedestal. Lazy devs is one thing, but surely incompetent devs are fair game.

On the other hand, at least they are putting out patches. Some devs who shall remain nameless havent even added 60 fps modes to their games. Hint: their name rhymes with Naughty Frogs.

skit_data

It's funny how basic things like this took three patches to get right. Man some of these devs... we need to stop putting devs on a pedestal. Lazy devs is one thing, but surely incompetent devs are fair game.

On the other hand, at least they are putting out patches. Some devs who shall remain nameless havent even added 60 fps modes to their games. Hint: their name rhymes with Naughty Frogs.
Cold Symmetry is a really small team, about four people. Bigger teams with QA and testers leave games in way worse states, so this actually solidifies my opinion of them as one of the better developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom