• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derift

Idk, all this feels like a completely manufactured concern. Like i wrote in another thread;

You will probably encounter other hardware issues long before this. In PS4s case it will be thermal paste drying up or HDD crashing. The PS5 will probably have a way longer lifespan when it comes to that though so it may become an issue in a decade or more. All this is such hyperbole.

Also, isnt this issue solved by simply replacing the battery and boot up with an internet connection? Thats my interpretation at least

The issue is that if the servers for activations are taken offline then you are fucked. The concern has come about cause Sony are killing the old stores, if this includes the servers for activation then there is nothing that you can do.
But these servers don't go offline it's the stores that get shutdown...once you have bought the game its saved to your account and your account...

reksveks

If the battery dies, but you still have an internet connection will the PS4 work due to updating via the internet? If the battery dies, and I replace it. Will it need to be connected online in order to verify the time?
Yes, it should work as far as I know. It should work as soon as it.

But these servers don't go offline it's the stores that get shutdown...once you have bought the game its saved to your account and your account...
Again think that's a reasonable assumption afaik but it's an assumption. If Sony was okay to patching out the time check then we wouldn't need to worry about connecting the console to the Internet at all.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Dance Dancing GIF by Real Housewives Of Cheshire

Loop Manele GIF by FaraOana

Dance Belly GIF by KPISS.FM

3-PWanimation1.gif

Now go back to resetera.

:messenger_winking_tongue: :messenger_winking_tongue: :messenger_winking_tongue:
Ha! Awesome! Thanks man...that was some collection. I have to say as well...that coin trick....DAMN! :) Wonder what....?? NEVERMIND.
:messenger_winking_tongue:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yes, it should work as far as I know. It should work as soon as it.

Again think that's a reasonable assumption afaik but it's an assumption. If Sony was okay to patching out the time check then we wouldn't need to worry about connecting the console to the Internet at all.

Sure, they can fix that and they should, but mounting up mega threads to look at a mix of a far away eventuality with an assumption that something might also happen to generate a perfect storm of negative consequences feels less and less genuine the more threads are opened making the PS3 store taken down == PSN servers taken down equivalence.
If that is the gold standard for proofs people could be creative enough make up scenarios about Xbox too that sound scary enough too I guess… that would be equally stupid though.

Last edited:

Nowcry

I do not understand so much concern in 10-20 years it will be abandoning hardware and possibly it will happen when the store and the online close, by then you can jailbreak it in 10 different ways without spending money and play everything without activations.

Possibly the online is closed so in practice it does not affect it at all to jailbreak it.

The same thing happens with the Ps3 now you can jailbreak it without problem and load the games you want. Thanks to digital, now the hardware and community abandon you are able to play everything forever.

On the other hand, in 20 years you will be able to emulate these consoles on PC with 8K graphics improvements etc. .. and nobody will want to play the games in the original output because they will be blurred xD.

It is much more important to be respectful with the studies and guarantee their economic viability, and to continue betting on creativity against the budget to make excellent entertaining and quality games than to worry about what will happen to my games in 20 years. Because possibly the answer is to buy them for € 2 in their PC version or emulate them in 8k 3D because in native it looked bad.

Vagos48

With this chip shortage in mind cross gen games will not go way anytime soon. They need to sell software copies and since they cannot sell the new consoles fast enough we will have to cope with last gen games.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Seems Amazon just can't catch a break. 🤦‍♂️

Whenever I see something like this with Amazon or Google/Stadia...I'm reminded that MS said they are really competing with Amazon and Google.

Not gonna be much competition if they only see them as threats.
With this chip shortage in mind cross gen games will not go way anytime soon. They need to sell software copies and since they cannot sell the new consoles fast enough we will have to cope with last gen games.
While this is true....for PlayStation at least PS5 version of games, PS5 exclusives seems to be selling fine all things considered.

I don't think it will effect them as much, especially since as of right now the PS5 is selling extremely well.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

At the end of the year those who are willing to pay full price at release for a game will have a PS5 / XSX. It will be less and less relevant to support the PS4 too.

jroc74

This cbomb stuff is madness

There are bigger issues to be concerned about like my precious PS exclusives going to PC
Its like someone said, by the time the battery dying becomes an issue, there are multiple other things that could fail.

My first PS3 died, looked like some hardware issue, but the battery was probably still fine.

I had dvd drives break on both a 360 and PS3 long before any battery would have died.

The PS6 will make it easier to replace the battery, bookmark this post. lol.

Cannot sell new consoles fast enough? There are more PS5s in the hands of gamers for the given time since launch, than any other PlayStation console previous to it.

So I think you are wrong. The timeline in terms of overlap will be similar to the PS2-PS3 and PS3-PS4 transition.

Last edited:

jroc74

Cannot sell new consoles fast enough? There are more PS5s in the hands of gamers for the given time since launch, than any other PlayStation console previous to it.

So I think you are wrong. The timeline in terms of overlap will be similar to the PS2-PS3 and PS3-PS4 transition.
Exactly.

I don't know why some ppl keep talking about cross gen, when Sony is having exclusive PS5 games or doing good next gen versions.

Sony seems to be handling everything fine all things considered.

If they have to adapt, they will. If not...
🤷‍♂️

assurdum

Banned
The real issue is what happens when Sony shuts down the activation servers. What about 10 years from now? 20 years from now?
The fact that you cannot play even disc games is completely insane.
This is nothing like Dreamcast's battery dying and all you have to worry about is resetting the clock on bootup.

I just watched the tests of taking the battery out and no internet connection - disc games do not work on PS4 and I would assume this applies to Ps5 as well.
Hopefully hell is raised and they make a major firmware update - otherwise, never buying another Playstation console after this news.
Not to defend it but what you think will happen to the gamepass library about 10 years from now? Really people believe to preserve all their library behind a paywal service? Digital library is not forever

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

again it's not about downloading and activating the games that you have. it's about activating the ps3 you have if you have to replace the cmos (and again there is an unknown about the activation servers, there is a possibility that they will keep it up for ps now)
So, people are freaking out over something that will happen in 20 years? I don't even know whether I'm alive after that time, what to say about playing old games, and there're already people saying they are not buying a PS console now? These Sony doomers really like a hyperbole.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
4k CBR without RT on ps5? Really?
to me this just confirms that it was a last gen title from the start and all that talk of discussions on cancelling last gen versions or downporting them was all PR.

i mean it makes sense since this started dev in january 2017, but they marketed as a next gen game first. now that the comparisons are out, it looks virtually the same as last gen and they didnt even bother changing the ps5 resolution from checkerboarding.

did re2 and re3 use checkerboarding on xbox 1x? or was it native like avengers? i know they had to drop the resolution on the x1x to get it to run at 60 fps but was it native 4k before or 4kcb?

This is good news. 4k native is a waste as usual, better to deploy the rendering towards better effects, LOD, etc.
but are they even doing that? i really cant tell from the comparison. especially in the rt comparisons.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Would be a good news if on pro it runs at 1600cbr. It's ridiculous ps5 uses the same resolution of the pro.
I don’t subscribe to that notion whatsoever. Good thing devs are looking towards iq beyond pixel counts. Even traditional pixel counters like DF are changing course.

Check out some of their recent vids on the topic. Once you reach a certain threshold, deploying more into it is diminished. Using resources smarter and more targeted is the essence of optimised results.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
to me this just confirms that it was a last gen title from the start and all that talk of discussions on cancelling last gen versions or downporting them was all PR.

i mean it makes sense since this started dev in january 2017, but they marketed as a next gen game first. now that the comparisons are out, it looks virtually the same as last gen and they didnt even bother changing the ps5 resolution from checkerboarding.

did re2 and re3 use checkerboarding on xbox 1x? or was it native like avengers? i know they had to drop the resolution on the x1x to get it to run at 60 fps but was it native 4k before or 4kcb?

but are they even doing that? i really cant tell from the comparison. especially in the rt comparisons.
The only game without CBR on Xbox was Monster Hunter if I'm not wrong. All the rest it's CBR as playstation. I have to recheck RE7 for my curiosity.P S. Nope CBR in RE7 on one X 4K CBR Vs 1800 on pro . Curiously CBR seems worked better on pro console probably for the hardware id buffer I guess. Will see what will happen on series X.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Seems to be punching well beyond the advertising. However, is the RT working? I can’t spot any improvement over RT off as usual.
It's just for reflections if I'm not wrong
Not sure, might be shadows too (girls face) but it looks kinda meh.

The only game without CBR on Xbox was Monster Hunter if I'm not wrong. All the rest it's CBR as playstation. I have to recheck RE7 for my curiosity. Nope CBR in RE7 on one X with higher resolution. Curiously CBR seems worked better on pro console probably for the hardware id buffer I guess.
The PS4 Pro when outputting at 2160p renders at a resolution of 3200x1800 using what appears to be a form of checkerboard rendering. When outputting at 1080p the PS4 Pro version downsamples from a native resolution of 2240x1260 to 1920x1080. The PS4 Pro when outputting at 2160p has noticeably worse depth of field than the PS4 Pro outputting at 1080p. The Xbox One X version seems to render at a resolution of 3840x2160 and also appears to be using a form of Checkerboard Rendering. There does appear to be differences between the two implementations with the Xbox One X version showing more artifacts, but they shouldn't be intrusive on either platform.

Last edited:

Vagos48

Last gen will define the new gen for a long long time. Previously the gap between 360/PS3 and X1/PS4 was too big , that it would have to need a fairly separate development , thus resulting to a lot better utilisation of the hardware. In this transition between X1X/PS4 PRO and XSX/PS5 it seems that's they just up the frame rate and be done with. Bad ports to come for sure for a couple of years

Naked Lunch

Not to defend it but what you think will happen to the gamepass library about 10 years from now? Really people believe to preserve all their library behind a paywal service? Digital library is not forever
I dont understand your gamepass comparison because its a subscription service - you're just renting everything.
The only comparison there is something like Sega Genesis Segachannel or Nintendo's satellite service which was shut down quickly.
For me personally, ill never get gamepass - not for me. I buy exactly what I want and dont have the desire to just play games on a whim.

The only real long term digital gaming examples from my experience are:
-Steam - I can still play all of my Steam purchases from when it was released in 2003 just fine.
-For Xbox, I purchased several original and 360 Xbox games digitally in the late 2000's (like Orta, NG Black, Lost Planet 2) that now play on new Xbox hardware.
-I never had a wii in its prime (I have one now) but from what I understand you can no longer download your digital purchases there.
-Sony shutting down PS3 store worries me that its only a matter of time before my digital PS3 titles wont be downloadable - the shutdown doesnt set a good precedent. Apparantly the cbomb news also affects PS3 digital purchases (not digital AND physical like the Ps4).

Most of this comes down to your perspective and preference in gaming. Some only play the latest and greatest. For me - I currently, in 2021, have 14 consoles still hooked up.
I play my NES, Genesis, SNES, PC Engine, PS1/2/3, Dreamcast along with modern stuff. If im going to spend thousands of dollars on PS4/5, XSX, Switch games - I expect to be able to play what I bought 30 years from now. The fact that this cbomb issue also affects physical disc games is a big deal from my perspective.
But again Sony can fix this with a simple software fix.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

Average... people who thought it was somehow going to be locked didn't really think things through.
Just seems consistent 60fps... Unless the full game will experience some considerable drops.... But to be honest those RT effects are practically not there at all.... Just too damn subtle to justify having them. I mean why bother. 🤔 🤷‍♂️

vDvSdzu.jpg

PS5 looks worse than the PS4 the fuck? Is this just a filter or something

Golem and his next gen exclusive garbo. There was never any doubt at capcom that this would be cross-gen

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
vDvSdzu.jpg

PS5 looks worse than the PS4 the fuck? Is this just a filter or something

Golem and his next gen exclusive garbo. There was never any doubt at capcom that this would be cross-gen
Wouldn't be surprising if it exchanges the pro with ps5 version. VGTECH said pro suffer of ghosting and looking at here seems ghosting what I see in the ps5 picture...mmm looking at it again, seems sort of selective DOF in the face parts, on ps5?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom