• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
JC5JI23.jpg
ZU8WPoI.jpg
Low volume doesn't mean no profit. Its possible to sell fewer, high-margin products and turn a tidy profit.
There is only really one company in the world that has both high volume and high margin - that being Apple.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe because they know all this ends up as cannon fodder for console wars in forums the majority of their user base don't attend to?
Would you say that IGN with their 15 million youtube subscribers has more influence than say gaf or era? Because they just ran a video saying they dont need a TLOU remake. A game Sony has spent 3 years making. I think Sony needs to respond. Not to the rumors or Jason's articles but just respond with a state of play showing next gen games in development.

There is a great line in Mad Men about how to effectively market around controversies, "If you dont like what they're saying, change the conversation." Sony is being led by an ex-marketing guy who seems to be content being quiet and letting all this blow over, but its not exactly worked out that way. It's been one bad news after another for weeks if not months now.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Yet another guy who is right about as often as a die roll. And this is a topic discussed here 10 months ago and he’s just caught up?

2vWoxs5.jpg
Well....a mid-gun refresh console would technically be a new one. With some reports of a such a refresh being only 3 or so years away perhaps...that's not necessarily a crazy statement. Those games were DEFINITELY so far away that they only had CGI concept trailers with no gameplay. So the games are definitely years away...it's just a question of HOW MANY years away.

Danlord

lol my six year old got frustrated at being stuck on Mario Odyssey puzzle on his switch and smashed it on his $300 ipad cracking the screen in pieces. Apple refused to fix even though it was under the 1 year warranty. A couple of months later my 2 year old got a hold of his switch, and as they chased each other around the house, they ended up in the bathroom where the switch was thrown into a toilet bowl. Of course, Nintendo refused to fix it for free even though its under the 1 year warranty.

these kids are animals.
Warranty is for inherent faults within the product, not for accidental damage. This would be something to claim on home/contents insurance if you have it through your mortage/bank or even if you bought cover from the retailer you bought said products from

Hashi

My two cats scratched up a 4k Pioneer PDPLX6090 plasma screen and the speaker covers either side many years ago, so you have my sympathies. They only did it because it was mounted on the wall. They dont touch the current TV that's sat on a stand thank Christ.
Ouch, Pioneer damage.. it must hurt. Plasmas are amazing displays, even today (I work with LED and OLEDs). Contrast and colour coverage/color accuracy are still amazin'.

ToadMan

My son is doing his part. He just broke my second Sony tv in three months and 3rd tv in 7 months. As soon as I think he just has no athletic ability he throws a fast ball into the tv. He must hate Sony as much as Riky and a Bernd Lauert.
veqw9Mu.jpg
XSxE68v.jpg

Sony thanks him for his service - I’d say the cheque is in the mail but I guess he’ll never know what a cheque is or was. Bits are in the blockchain?

Well....a mid-gun refresh console would technically be a new one. With some reports of a such a refresh being only 3 or so years away perhaps...that's not necessarily a crazy statement. Those games were DEFINITELY so far away that they only had CGI concept trailers with no gameplay. So the games are definitely years away...it's just a question of HOW MANY years away.

Yes I understand - back in June/July last year when the gameplay reveals included very little gameplay it was pointed out that AAA title worthy of the name would be 5+ years away. That’s just how long it takes to make an AAA game these days.

During that time we’ve had COVID of course.

My point really was about this guy posting “news” when the topic was analysed and discussed nearly a year ago - it’s not news that he’s only just worked this out.

To be honest when those first party games arrive probably isn’t that important anymore - MS will spend the cash to top up Gamepass content and for a segment of gamers that’s enough.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Low volume doesn't mean no profit. Its possible to sell fewer, high-margin products and turn a tidy profit.
There is only really one company in the world that has both high volume and high margin - that being Apple.
That is actually what Sony is doing... and they are sure they will post profit this fiscal year with Xperia.
Less units sold, bigger margin, profit.

Last edited:

Vagos48

That is actually what Sony is doing... and they are sure they will post profit this fiscal year with Xperia.
Less units sold, bigger margin, profit.
Sony tries to sustain it's mobile business by doing the exact opposite of Apple. Apple after losing market share opened up to the midrange market. Sony is focusing on the high end. But the competition in this category is already fierce with chinese brands. I would love SONY to succeed, but it seems to me that this ship has sailed. Maybe they should follow MS and LG examples and pull out. They should really focus on their TV business instead , which besides iconic , new display panel technologies emerge and may suffle the market.

Neo Blaster

Just imagine buying a XSX now, having no games to exploit its potential for years, and when they finally come, there's a better console on the market.

ethomaz

Banned
Sony tries to sustain it's mobile business by doing the exact opposite of Apple. Apple after losing market share opened up to the midrange market. Sony is focusing on the high end. But the competition in this category is already fierce with chinese brands. I would love SONY to succeed, but it seems to me that this ship has sailed. Maybe they should follow MS and LG examples and pull out. They should really focus on their TV business instead , which besides iconic , new display panel technologies emerge and may suffle the market.
I’m not sure... seems like it is working.

Profit after 4 years losing money with Xperia.

Buhaj

In case anyone wonders how the demand for consoles looks like in Poland (yeah, lower your hands now): the biggest online shop here, Allegro, has Xbox Series X on sale at about 110% of MSRP, right now there are 339 units sold. Don't know when this offer appeared, probably a couple of days ago, but when I checked in the morning (around 9 hours ago), it had more less the same number of sold units (>300 for sure).

Around 9 hours ago, Allegro added some PS5 bundles at ca. 120% and 130% of MSRP (included some games). I've checked just now and all the 950 units are sold out. Gives you an idea of what the ratio of consoles sold is outside of the US and UK.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Shpeshal Ed seemingly supports the Persona 5 Royal Xbox/PC rumour by CrazyLeaksOnATrain

He has linked this old tweet from March 17 which hinted at P5R coming to Xbox in response to the rumour.

cragarmi

Jeff Ross told a pretty hilarious story about meeting Jim Ryan for the first time. After hearing it, I definitely like him a lot more now. I'll see if I can find it.
I believe the phrase Jim actually used was 'Snitches get stitches' followed by 'seriously any leaks come from any of you, you will be fired, and you will never work in the industry again', then he smiled and laughed manically. True story bro! 😳

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Jim Ryan Needs to be voted out of his position

Yes, The current president of SIE, Jim Ryan needs to go.

Look at all the negative things that have happened under his watch in the two short years he's been at the head:

- PS5 exclusives raise to $70

- Japan Studio stripped to it's bare bones

- Legacy psn stores closing

- Killzone franchise retired

- Days Gone 2 denied

- Web store gets downgraded

- game patches starting to disappear due to legacy stores closing soon

- Currently killing any hope for full backward compatibility despite according to two patents they are working on solutions.

- Turned down Kojima's next game (allegedly)

- Closing the video/movie rental store DESPITE LITERALLY just starting a new video service on their new bravia televisions.

Under this man's leadership, I can't think of a single good thing that he pushed. I've never seen a company leader pull off such levels of self-sabotage before. It's as if this man has no idea what made the Playstation brand the household name it is.

Hell there isn't even a reason to NOT do BC or close the legacy stores. Their own financials and actions prove that. PSN makes more money than Microsoft's gaming division and the ENTIRE Nintendo company. And that's with the Legacy stores still being open ( https://www.ign.com/article... So it's not like the excuse of "it's a financial drain" is there.

And as for backward compatibility. I keep hearing "can't due it because of x86". That there is another falsehood. RSPS3 runs on x86. And to add insult to injury, those backward compatibility patents starting showing up AFTER Sony hired some of the RSPS3 programmers.

And this final part is me speaking for myself personally. But as of now, I see no reason to ever buy a ps5 or anything Sony puts out beyond this point. They've shown me they have no follow through.

Came across this rant earlier today. Thought I would share here. Not sure I would agree with everything the writer says, but he does make a few good points throughout.

Derift

Jim Ryan Needs to be voted out of his position

Came across this rant earlier today. Thought I would share here. Not sure I would agree with everything the writer says, but he does make a few good points throughout.
He needs to get a grip....

LiquidRex

Exactly, the games most likely didn't sell that well in Sony's eyes, hence the decision to make a quick port and squeeze as much sales/profit as possible, same for Death Stranding. Like I said some time before, I think Sony simply ports the games whenever sales aren't growing anymore, like the mentioned two that didn't storm the market, to say the least, or Detroit and HZD which had their time and whoever with a PS4 wanted to play them already did.
What do Sony now consider the minimum to qualify a success with regards to sale figers today.

What if say Ratchet and Clank fails (it won't) but if it does, will Sony just turn their back on Insomniacgames or will the Studio's track record give them a pass.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Microsoft just can't help themselves...
Make It Rain Money GIF

A lot of people have been saying since the presidential election that most of the big players were going to start spending the cash they'd been hording for the last 4-5yrs (less afraid of WW3 started via tweet, I guess). MS seems to have really taken that to heart. But, with interest rates as they are you can see it, better to put the money to work than leave it in a drawer.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I don’t get what that means. davidjaffe davidjaffe
Isn’t PSNow exactly the same as GamePass except.

+It’s cheaper
+It has more games
-Doesn’t get day one first parties
-Rolled out in far less locations
I assume he means Sony will do something like this eventually:

First, update PS Now:
- all games can be downloaded (on PS5)
- increase streaming res to 1080p (on PS5)
- add some recent PS5 games, 1st/3rd party

then, announce PS Plus Premium:
- $10/month
- includes PS Plus & updated PS Now

They will eventually figure out a way to let PS Now users download old PS123 games on PS5.

But it took Sony over a decade to figure out PSN name changes, so who knows when.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Just release the damn trailer already.

We will have to wait for that one, but until then the first screenshot will have to be enough (notice the immense number of players!):

547d095d2a8b6_-_mcx1007fesoldiers001-large-new.jpg

What do Sony now consider the minimum to qualify a success with regards to sale figers today.

What if say Ratchet and Clank fails (it won't) but if it does, will Sony just turn their back on Insomniacgames or will the Studio's track record give them a pass.

IG is a relatively small studio, and R&C isn't a big game either. None of their games really is in the same caliber as ND, SSM, GG or SP games, at least for now, hence they release their games so much more often than other Sony's studios. So logically, the production cost aren't blown up as well, meaning the game doesn't have to sell 10MLN+ copies to just break even. Like you said, it will be financially successful no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom