• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defrop

Banned

Was that already posted or discussed about credibility of that info?

uI9TlYW.jpg

Writer for XboxERA

Sick of all these CraigBoys spreading Fud

kyliethicc

You know.. I have to say that I AM a little pissed that they're trying to make these games $70. I mean I think it needs to stay at $60...nothing that much has changed..if it has, show me what the factors are. Bottom line, we already pay $60 EVEN FOR DIGITAL DELIVERY which is BS. As more and more gets driven digital, they make more money which makes the $70 even for the digital version PURE GREED as far as I can see. Maybe I'm wrong and someone can point out how these games are just SO much more expensive to make that it requires upping the price by $10 per unit.

If the digital versions were say...$50 and the physical $60 or $70...I could see that. Would make more sense. But they're just trying to push us ALL this way and I don't see the justification for it.

What REALLY pisses me off is that I WILL buy at least some of these games and pay the $70 because I can and because especially early on, that will be one of the only ways to get the games. But this will definitely pause me in getting things digitally. I've been doing that more lately and especially this year, even pre-orders. NO MORE. they're gonna get greedy, then I will FOR sure buy physical copies I can trade in when I'm done and get SOME money back out of them...and....I will be on the lookout for USED games so that the devs and Sony DON'T GET MY MONEY. Want to fuck with my wallet....I'll fuck with theirs!

Seriously...this whole pricing bump is LAME. Especially when we're talking about no real changes and innovations in the games themselves besides ray tracing and prettier layers of paint. No huge innovations that could be used to help explain this away.

ARGH!

Games were $60 in 2006. Games are better now, and money is worth less. $70 is fair. Its been 14 years.

But the much higher EU/UK prices seem unfair and much too high. So to be clear, I'm just talking USD here.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Games were $60 in 2006. Games are better now, and money is worth less. $70 is fair. Its been 14 years.

But the much higher EU/UK prices seem unfair and much too high. So to be clear, I'm just talking USD here.

Yeah, and what about the fact they make much more on digital copies and that the market is going INCREASINGLY digital, but they STILL are raising prices? Like I said, I'd be more reasonable about it if you got some savings going digital. No reason for them to have both digital and physical at the same price.

pasterpl

Another interesting thing started to surface, ps5 games by Ubisoft are £5-£10 more expensive for ps5 version compared to xbsex versions. Just checked couple on amazon.co.uk and WTF?

Mr Moose

Another interesting thing started to surface, ps5 games by Ubisoft are £5-£10 more expensive for ps5 version compared to xbsex versions. Just checked couple on amazon.co.uk and WTF?
Go check Ubisoft store.
Same price for all.

Last edited:

ksdixon

You know.. I have to say that I AM a little pissed that they're trying to make these games $70. I mean I think it needs to stay at $60...nothing that much has changed..if it has, show me what the factors are. Bottom line, we already pay $60 EVEN FOR DIGITAL DELIVERY which is BS. As more and more gets driven digital, they make more money which makes the $70 even for the digital version PURE GREED as far as I can see. Maybe I'm wrong and someone can point out how these games are just SO much more expensive to make that it requires upping the price by $10 per unit.

If the digital versions were say...$50 and the physical $60 or $70...I could see that. Would make more sense. But they're just trying to push us ALL this way and I don't see the justification for it.

What REALLY pisses me off is that I WILL buy at least some of these games and pay the $70 because I can and because especially early on, that will be one of the only ways to get the games. But this will definitely pause me in getting things digitally. I've been doing that more lately and especially this year, even pre-orders. NO MORE. they're gonna get greedy, then I will FOR sure buy physical copies I can trade in when I'm done and get SOME money back out of them...and....I will be on the lookout for USED games so that the devs and Sony DON'T GET MY MONEY. Want to fuck with my wallet....I'll fuck with theirs!

Seriously...this whole pricing bump is LAME. Especially when we're talking about no real changes and innovations in the games themselves besides ray tracing and prettier layers of paint. No huge innovations that could be used to help explain this away.

ARGH!

Get different country psn accounts. Set each one to use your PS5 as the main PS5, thereby sharing access to all accounts on the device, and play every game on your main account.

I once bought Alien Isolation on sale on USA PStore for 20 USD, which would have been about 15 GBP, when the UK PStore had the game not on sale, at £60.

5 minutes of account fannying-around saved me an easy £40.

Or find someone you can gameshare with, set your accounts to use each others machines as primary's, and any game you both want to purchase automatically gets halved in price.

In addition, between PS+ free monthly games, PS+ Collection/Instant Game Collection, PS+ member discounts on games, PStore Sales across regions, and don't forget SHAREPLAY, the digital future isn't as bleek at it might seem at first.

xHunter

Not the case on german amazon:

Last edited:

pasterpl

Watch Dogs Legion Gold Edition (PS5)
PEGI Rating: Ages 18 and Over
PlayStation 5
£84.99£84.99

Pre-order Price Guarantee.

FREE Delivery by Amazon
This item has not yet been released.
PlayStation 4
£74.99£74.99

FREE Delivery by Amazon
This item will be released on October 29, 2020.
Xbox One/SeriesX
£74.99£74.99

FREE Delivery by Amazon
This item will be released on October 29, 2020.

Ok, it seems that the biggest difference are the Gold Editions, standard editions are in fact priced the same.

FarCry6 Gold Edition cost the same across platforms, but the limited edition is £5 more on PS5

These prices are mess

kensama

On amazon germany the PS5 version cost 67 Euros and they dont have the Xbox 1 standard edition at all. Only the ultimate for over 100 euros

For me the problem between PS5 price and Xbox price is due to Xbox game sold as Xbox one game optimized for serie X where for PS5 you have the only PS5 version

Last edited:
Smartshift does not serve to make the system go worse. Quite the opposite. PS5 has 10.28TF. Do not give it more laps. When those TFs are not needed they will not be used. And when they are needed, yes, and more efficiently than in other systems.

They are ways of trying to reach the same visual result. One with "more" power and one with "more" efficiency. Time will tell which was the correct decision.
Time has already told us. We can already see with our own eyes how efficient the PS5 is with notably: Demon's souls, Ratchet & Clank and Gran turismo 7.

sandkiller

Are there any examples of cross-gen games (from previous generations) where the game has different mechanics ? OR are all differences between each version only FPS/resolution related?

Sw0pDiller

I feel sorry for those who bought the DE of the PS5. You are all going to get your shit pushed in with these prices for games.
Higher prices for disc versions will mean higher resale value. Do not understand why anyone would want the DE. That 100 saving is gone after 2 purchases.
well if ya dont buy the system day one but lets say a year later then you might have some really nice deals in the PS store. thats how i buy my games for ps4 now. wait 6 months and buy em cheap. bought persona for 13 euro eand RE2 remake for 19. but you are right when you plan on buying day one you are bound to the digital prices. and cuz i want to play Demons Souls goodness day one an like to keep my options open i switched from planned digital to disk version. i pre ordered a PS5 @ mediamarkt in Amsterdam yesterday and the clerk told me they allready had hundreds of orders in the back (they accepted pre orders in store since june). I was number 204 for the day. DE/Disk was about 50-50 she said.

Mr Moose

Are there any examples of cross-gen games (from previous generations) where the game has different mechanics ? OR are all differences between each version only FPS/resolution related?
I think the Lord of the Rings Middle-Earth game had some next gen exclusive feature, nemesis something I think it was called.

Edit: Oh, it was scaled down on last gen.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Watched the digital foundry video last night, was so nice to see John so genuinely excited for demon souls, he was all over that gushing like he just came back from his first date. (hope alex did not kiss him)

The game sure is a looker, all those effects and 60 fps, like wth. simply amazing.

Bluepoint really are one of the best.

Did Demon souls have dlc, don't think it did? i wonder if they would be able to make new content, or is that not in their description. Would they even be allowed to..

BGs

Industry Professional
Time has already told us. We can already see with our own eyes how efficient the PS5 is with notably: Demon's souls, Ratchet & Clank and Gran turismo 7.
I take advantage of your reply to present something general.

Try (everyone) to read the following text objectively.

In times of load and "fineness in visual detail" (not resolution) the thing is in favor of PS5. I don't think it will change if things are done the way they have to.

Now, perceptibly for the user there might be no difference, which is what really matters. Demon's Souls Remake could look just as "good" in XSX without any problems. Surely with "longer" load times (few seconds), without the DualSense touch experience or immersive 3D sound (another type of sound, good too), but visually "identical" in one way or another (we could even debate about if in XSX higher refresh rates could be achieved, although for an exit title it doesn't really matter).

Likewise, all this is so relative ... it depends on the development study, it depends on the development time, the budget, if it is exclusive or not ... too many factors to be able to make a real comparison.

Also keep in mind that no "totally nextgen" gameplay has actually been seen (by any of them). And both can do much better things. The problem with MS is the lack of games that take advantage of its system and, if I am not mistaken, that absence will last for 1 more year. But once we start to see XSX games that really take advantage of the system, we can really be sure if more power is better or more efficiency is better. In practice we are talking about very similar percentage margins.

I think that we will have to wait and see what Ninja Theory achieves in XSX and Naughty Dog in PS5 (if possible in games with similar characteristics) to really know which is the best way (I am talking only about visual finish, regardless of the game's argument ).

As for the difference in Multiplatforms, the real difference "should" be less than that of this image.

FIFA-2017-en-PC-vs-PlayStation-4-vs-Xbox-One.jpg

In short, it all falls to development studies. It depends on which way they go they will obtain some results or others. Until then (2 or 3 years) it cannot really be valued. For now, in my opinion, the one that has to prove something now is XSX. And it will surely prove it (you need it).

Nickolaidas

Banned
Lol so you wait over a year to buy games? Doesn't even make sense.
When you have a backlog long as a buffalo's dick, it does.

The only games I buy day one are mortal kombat games, resident evil main entries, and souls games.

And maybe, MAYBE a game that gives me a huge boner like project awakening.

Sold out in less than 1 minute. Fuck
I got one from Amazon in my country. I was lucky. They just opened pre order very early in the morning without notice. I was dreaming that I pre ordered PS5 from Amazon ( the PS5 in my dream looked like dreamcast but that doesn't matter anyway) then, I woke up then just decided to check Amazon in my phone and.......it was there 😍 and pre ordered quickly. I didn't even know if it was digital or Disc version and I didn't check the price 😅. Finally got it. A Disc version at an equivalent of $600 including VAT. It sold out just after I finished my payment.
This is a textbook example of dream came true. 😂

Unlike past generations, the PS5 will be sold out in my country before release. It never ever happened before.
This is my first time struggling to get one here on release. Hope Amazon doesn't cancel it.

7IKw87T.jpg

HAL-01

Also keep in mind that no "totally nextgen" gameplay has actually been seen (by any of them). And both can do much better things. The problem with MS is the lack of games that take advantage of its system and, if I am not mistaken, that absence will last for 1 more year. But once we start to see XSX games that really take advantage of the system, we can really be sure if more power is better or more efficiency is better. In practice we are talking about very similar percentage margins.
Totally agree, demon’s souls may look great but those growing pains from current to next gen still show through. I look forward to seeing how god of war and hellblade 2 make these boxes sing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom