• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksdixon

PS5 cant read CDs... this guy's a fool.

Yeah, I edited a ramble reply into my last post lol.

Works with discs? Didn't I just read somewhere earlier tonight that PS5 cannot read CD's?

Better PSNow selection/DL for all games, or throwing huge amount of PS1/2/3 games on the PStore is all I am holding out hope for. I don't expect disc-based.

Unless that plays into the Sony-MS azure servers deal somehow, cause MS have already done the leg work in terms of recognising a disc, downloading the digital version etc. Teach Sony how.

LiquidRex

Can we confirm Ratchet and Clank is PS5 only I'm sure the game machanics aren't possible on the PS4 that also includes Medium... Right? 🤔

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Was that already posted or discussed about credibility of that info?

Jesus Christ. That's fucking trash.

At 3.5 ghz cpu, the ps5 is only 5.5 tflops?

I thought cerny said they provided enough power for both cpu and gpu to run at max clocks? Why would the cpu need to go all the way down to 2.0 ghz for max GPU clocks?

This could explain why Xbox series x is having no issues with re8 and why ps5 is supposedly struggling to maintain framerates because the cpu becomes literally half as powerful if they try to push the gpu to the max like they are.

Last edited:

husomc

That's a good demo. Looks like between (roughly) 5 to 7 seconds for switching between games. Very nice! This is the kind of trailer Sony needs to start blasting out as well. Show how these next gen systems REALLY change how you use them today.
I wonder if the average xbox gamer has some kinda disorder that makes them want to play 20 seconds from a bunch of games while switching in between each. Does this also work with online ? that would be pretty neat. to be able to switch while waiting in a COD lobby play 30 seconds of a sim game and go back

kyliethicc

Jesus Christ. That's fucking trash.

At 3.5 ghz cpu, the ps5 is only 5.5 tflops?

I thought cerny said they provided enough power for both cpu and gpu to run at max clocks? Why would the cpu need to go all the way down to 2.0 ghz for max GPU clocks?

This could explain why Xbox series x is having no issues with re8 and why ps5 is supposedly struggling to maintain framerates because the cpu becomes literally half as powerful if they try to push the gpu to the max like they are.
how we do even know thats true? random xbox fan puts shit on Twitter about the PS5 (and a discord lol) and you just assume its true?

ksdixon

"tHiS WiLl Be A GReAt sCrEEn GrAB wHeN ThE tIMe iS riGhT LOL LOL LET'S GO!!!!!"

Seriously, what a moron. And he's not only not taking that L, he's fucking doubling down:

I swear to God if he pulls out some old ass patent, like this one...

q5thBwn.jpg

q5thBwn.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

how we do even know thats true? random xbox fan puts shit on Twitter about the PS5 (and a discord lol) and you just assume its true?
this is a speculation thread. We speculate on what's posted here. I never said it was true. Only that it would line up with those rumors based on the tflops math.

Sinthor

Gold Member
That was debunked on the responses. Should be easy to verify.
Let me guess which discord he's talking about...
This is ridiculous bullshit. If this were true, there'd be no way to get 4k@30fps let alone 4k@60fps which we already know for a fact ARE attainable. Just more desperate FUD from people. Not sure why they feel the need for it now that both console specs and pricing have been revealed? Probably just more conformation bias psychosis. Poor souls!

CraZed

This is ridiculous bullshit. If this were true, there'd be no way to get 4k@30fps let alone 4k@60fps which we already know for a fact ARE attainable. Just more desperate FUD from people. Not sure why they feel the need for it now that both console specs and pricing have been revealed? Probably just more conformation bias psychosis. Poor souls!
And its not even how Smartshift even works... At least hes getting called out on the twitters.

SlimySnake

You do realize that dmc is 4k 30 fps and 1080p 60 fps.

The downgrade in pixels is way too steep. 1440p 60 fps should be easily doable. But they are going to quarter res just to double the framerate? Something is off here.

Zoro7

Banned
I feel sorry for those who bought the DE of the PS5. You are all going to get your shit pushed in with these prices for games.
Higher prices for disc versions will mean higher resale value. Do not understand why anyone would want the DE. That 100 saving is gone after 2 purchases.

kyliethicc

The downgrade in pixels is way too steep. 1440p 60 fps should be easily doable. But they are going to quarter res just to double the framerate? Something is off here.
RT is costly on frame rate. Diff devs will handle it differently.

Alex Scott

I feel sorry for those who bought the DE of the PS5. You are all going to get your shit pushed in with these prices for games.
Higher prices for disc versions will mean higher resale value. Do not understand why anyone would want the DE. That 100 saving is gone after 2 purchases.
I bought some games digitally because of sales.
If Playstation keeps these kinda sales going then i don't really see a problem here.

kyliethicc

Last physical game disc I ever bought was GTA 5 in 2013 for PS3. Miss me with the disc shit. Digital PS5 for me 100%.

HAL-01

Its the same case for XSX, and that one's isnt even getting ray tracing at launch, whatever you're going on about doesnt hold up.

youre freaking out over some random numbers acting like they make complete sense when they don't. We've already seen what the PS5 can do, and 4K/60fps gameplay from games that look much better than RE8. Chill out.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Congrats, but why the DE?
I went all digital for five years now and it was the best thing I've ever done.

And I'm a guy who used to make bluray cases with custom covers for the ocassional digital only game I would buy in the past.

It's just so much more convenient for me. To have everything on a hard/solid state drive and my ps/xbox/windows account.

I don't misbehave online and I rarely game online, so I have no reason to be afraid of a ban.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I feel sorry for those who fail to realize that not everyone buys games on day one and actually wait for sales to pick up games like Horizon for 20 bucks.

What could he be talking about? Could be that "Netflix style" playing experience Jason Schreier was talking about months ago?
We haven't shown yet any of the user experience of the PS5, and there's some really cool stuff to come on that. Within that, as the PS5 feature set becomes more sticky, and the way people make games are becoming more clever, more interesting... there will be opportunities for greater engagement, and greater time spent on the platform.

Sinthor

Gold Member

Yeah, but it's also 1080p on XSX..so...

Bottom line, this isn't how SmartShift works and makes no sense. The power drop you'd get from those frequencies would make even 4k@30fps pretty much impossible.

Pointing to ONE GAME that for some reason is 1080p...but also is a remaster of a previous game (so you think that MIGHT have something to do with it?) is not proof.

I swear, people are getting so hysterical about things even when you can see gameplay examples that knock holes in those fears.

Bottom line, we'll see. If the PS5 is somehow stuck where they can only do 1080p and 1440p games...then we can all FREAK OUT... That work for everyone? So let's see how it goes, shall we...if the current evidence isn't enough for you.

SlimySnake

RT is costly on frame rate. Diff devs will handle it differently.
Nah it just halves the framerate which you can get back by halving the resolution.

You don't need to drop it by 4x. I have run pretty much every Ray traced game on my rtx 2080 and I've never had to drop the resolution by 4x just to get a 2x increase in fps.

Sinthor

Gold Member
You know.. I have to say that I AM a little pissed that they're trying to make these games $70. I mean I think it needs to stay at $60...nothing that much has changed..if it has, show me what the factors are. Bottom line, we already pay $60 EVEN FOR DIGITAL DELIVERY which is BS. As more and more gets driven digital, they make more money which makes the $70 even for the digital version PURE GREED as far as I can see. Maybe I'm wrong and someone can point out how these games are just SO much more expensive to make that it requires upping the price by $10 per unit.

If the digital versions were say...$50 and the physical $60 or $70...I could see that. Would make more sense. But they're just trying to push us ALL this way and I don't see the justification for it.

What REALLY pisses me off is that I WILL buy at least some of these games and pay the $70 because I can and because especially early on, that will be one of the only ways to get the games. But this will definitely pause me in getting things digitally. I've been doing that more lately and especially this year, even pre-orders. NO MORE. they're gonna get greedy, then I will FOR sure buy physical copies I can trade in when I'm done and get SOME money back out of them...and....I will be on the lookout for USED games so that the devs and Sony DON'T GET MY MONEY. Want to fuck with my wallet....I'll fuck with theirs!

Seriously...this whole pricing bump is LAME. Especially when we're talking about no real changes and innovations in the games themselves besides ray tracing and prettier layers of paint. No huge innovations that could be used to help explain this away.

ARGH!

BGs

Industry Professional
Smartshift does not serve to make the system go worse. Quite the opposite. PS5 has 10.28TF. Do not give it more laps. When those TFs are not needed they will not be used. And when they are needed, yes, and more efficiently than in other systems.

They are ways of trying to reach the same visual result. One with "more" power and one with "more" efficiency. Time will tell which was the correct decision.

Last edited:
I bought some games digitally because of sales.
If Playstation keeps these kinda sales going then i don't really see a problem here.

That's the thing. It's one store and Sony alone will dictate the terms. At least with PC there is multiple store fronts, different launchers and competition.

DE will be for people who value convenience over price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom