• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaitsu

Banned
what’s crazy to me is SSM releasing GOW2 in 2021, a little over 3 years, and next gen only

what has GG been doing? They have a full 1 extra year of dev on Horizon and it’s cross gen

horizon 2 better be a masterpiece, it’s getting the same schedule if not more than the original one took to make..
Guerilla probably helped with DS, so they were still heavly anchored in PS4. Thats the reason probably.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The head of Sony Interactive confirmed that the PS5 does not support backward compatibility with the original PlayStation, PS2, and PS3

we focused on making sure that the new console uses features such as SSD and DualSense controller. And so, unfortunately, we were not able to provide backward compatibility with all generations of our consoles.
With All*
tenor.gif

Nope

I understand that and it does look like crap when looking around.

And yet all my displays/TVs are set up for 120 fps and beyond and would still pick that in those types of games.
Sure fps is important but the most important is still the game you play.

Like I certainly don't want to play Fortnite at 120fps but I certainly want to play Monster Hunter World even at ~45fps.

Its $1 for limited time (3 months)
My subscription is still active. I think i have 1 month left. Don't have an xbox and got Gamepass for Xcloud on my android phone.
I'm aware. Just poking fun at how when the discussion is "how can MS afford to run Gamepass, it only costrs $1" and when the discussion is the value of gamepass the discussion turns to "It's $120 a year, $180 with Ultimate."

Like which is it? Are they losing money hand over fist on this shit and its awful and shows that being the Netflix of gaming is a bad thing or are they actually getting paid decent money off subs.

Hint: its a bit of both. Because what nobody says about the "I paid $1 for two years of Gamepass" is that they paid for Xbox Live for two years first. So assuming they paid $40 for 12 months of Live (very rare sale but it happens), they paid $81 for Gamepass for two years. Gamepass had over 10 million subscribers as the last Ms announcement. If EVERYBODY is getting the best Xbox Live deal before swapping to the $1 gamepass, MS is making 405m a year off this shit. Not to mention we've had plenty of developers say their sales went up going to Gamepass. And MS gets 30% of those sales too.

A fun execise in how Gamepass is possibly making money.

Sw0pDiller

I expect those games to be able to use DS4...
But not the ps5 version which (would I assume) supports the haptic feedback and other dual sense controller features...
Am i the only one here thinking why don't we have any UI Menu walkthrough videos yet?
Look, I like that stuff just like you and the next guy on had but we must not forget that maybe, just maybe we gaffers are NOT the biggest part of the future console buyers. And those who are, just want to see games. And on that they delivered.

Last edited:

SSfox

Lets be hones. Im good with spending 70$ for Sony quality games.
Rockstar too.
Others ? Not so much. So i will wait for discounts etc.

Goodluck paying for AAA with gamepass. It will be like netflix.
Sony games are blockbusters.

While agree, but this will never happen, unless those games are a bit old, like 3 years or so, You'll nevere get a GTA, Monster Hunter or other huge quality game day one, because quality has a price. simple as that.

The day MS will have good exclusive at the level of SWW or Rockstar, then we can start discuss gamepass, but right now they're too far from that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

user1337

The head of Sony Interactive confirmed that the PS5 does not support backward compatibility with the original PlayStation, PS2, and PS3

Yea, thats what PS Now is for. How many of you guys (who I would say are more into your gaming than most) actually play PS3 PS2 and PS1 games? I sure as heck don't.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You keep thinking about graphics and forget about game design and mechanics. We probably lost Spiderman swinging at insane speeds and Aloy flying on winged beasts.

Graphics at this level makes us close any kinds of talk about GPU and TF. Those other things gonna come later into next gen indeed. I'm aware of the empty half of the cup, only talking about the filled half.

Agree 100% but I think PS Collection will offer a stopgap to the early launch window where games drop right at launch, a few trickle in after launch and then it's barren for 8-10 months. It's always been this way and I think the PS Collection will be Sony's answer to bridge that gap. Plus, backwards compatibility.
Fuck i hope not.

Just like GamePass they should add to the service or add the free monthly PS Games to the collection.

Hoping for the best but also remember we were bamboozled by Sony's messaging on cross gen.

kyliethicc

Guerilla probably helped with DS, so they were still heavly anchored in PS4. Thats the reason probably.
Guerrilla did help on Death Stranding, lots of them in credits. Hundred plus.

I bet Horizon 2 started in late 2017 / early 2018, on PS4, aiming for 2020 PS4 release. Working on Death Stranding likely delayed Horizon's progress. Covid happened etc. I imagine they just pushed it back and said make a PS5 version too like Insomniac is doing with Miles.

just the truth my friend.
even I, who am a critical person in general, was astounded by sony bullshitting all this time about "we believe in nextgen", while in reality they are releasing everything on ps4.

And if you want to talk about "low", I am a little extra astounded also because having already spiderman and all dlc, I will have to pay for them again to get the ps5 versions.
Being a customer of both microsoft and sony, I can definitely see the disparity here. and its big

thank you for the insight and welcome to my ignore list
Good to be here. Nothing like living rent free in someone's head.

I never once talked about its revenue or profitability. Not related to my point.

I'm still unaware of even 5 or 10 high quality games on Game Pass, other than Forza and RDR2.

And its a bad value at 2-3x the cost of PSPlus.
Crusader Kings III (PLAY THIS GAME PEOPLE), Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5, Final Fantasy VII, Forza Horizons 4, Gears 5, Halo Master Chief Collection, Halo 5, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, NieR: Automata BAGE, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Final Fantasy iX, all previous Gears games, Stellaris (PLAY THIS GAME TOO, ITS PARADOX), Metro 2033 Redux, Yakuza 0, Sunset Overdrive, Mortal Kombat X, Alien Isolation, Yakuza Kiwami, Kingdom Hearts III, Hellblade.

I'll stop there.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
what’s crazy to me is SSM releasing GOW2 in 2021, a little over 3 years, and next gen only

what has GG been doing? They have a full 1 extra year of dev on Horizon and it’s cross gen

horizon 2 better be a masterpiece, it’s getting the same schedule if not more than the original one took to make..
TBF, Horizon doesnt look like a traditional cross gen game like AC Black Flag, Destiny, MGSV, and Watch Dogs. It looks a whole lot better than the PS4 horizon. It seems they are redoing all the visuals at the very least. All that wildlife eco system, so a whole lot of work seems to have gone into making it look better. i have no idea how they will get that ported down to the jaguar cores.

I am curious to see if it will have flying in the PS5 version and if that will get cut in the PS4 version.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I never once talked about its revenue or profitability. Not related to my point.

I'm still unaware of even 5 or 10 high quality games on Game Pass, other than Forza and RDR2.

Witcher 3
Resident evil 7
Yakuza Kawami
Yakuza Kawami 2
Batman Arkham Knight
Dishonored 2
Outer worlds
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Hellbalde
Tekken 7
Nicer Automata

Mr Moose

So anyone watch Digital Foundry's latest breakdown of the PS5 showcase, some interesting comments.

Both Alex and John were really impressed with Demon Souls, they mentioned how dense the geometry is as well as the variety and details of the textures. This reminds me of the comments RedGamingTech made about how the PS5 will have a significant advantage in geometry rendering over Series X and RDNA 2, could this be an early sign?

I think the SSD will also have an important role in this "geometry" advantage as assets will be able to be pulled in and out of RAM significantly faster, this would mean higher density geometry and higher resolution textures within the next 1-2 seconds of gameplay.

I also think it's too early as of now, but in the next 3-4 years the devs and studios will be able to explore and push the PS5 and it's hardware features like the GE much more and I believe we'll see some really cool looking stuff.
How the fuck didn't they understand that PS+ thing? It was literally spelled out for them in the stream what it was (all those free games if you're subscribed to PS+ from day 1).

kyliethicc

Crusader Kings III (PLAY THIS GAME PEOPLE), Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 and 2.5, Final Fantasy VII, Forza Horizons 4, Gears 5, Halo Master Chief Collection, Halo 5, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, NieR: Automata BAGE, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Final Fantasy iX, all previous Gears games, Stellaris (PLAY THIS GAME TOO, ITS PARADOX), Metro 2033 Redux, Yakuza 0, Sunset Overdrive, Mortal Kombat X, Alien Isolation, Yakuza Kiwami, Kingdom Hearts III, Hellblade.

I'll stop there.
Thanks. Solid list of games. My bad.

Fuck i hope not.

Just like GamePass they should add to the service or add the free monthly PS Games to the collection.

Hoping for the best but also remember we were bamboozled by Sony's messaging on cross gen.
I don't think we were bamboozled.

I think some people saw what they wanted. I certainly saw Spiderman MM and Horizons 2 and said they didn't blow me away as next gen. You can go back and look. MM especially did not look next gen, I'm sorry. It looks great. The original game looks great. Thats not a shot at MM. But it didn't strike me as next gen. Now we know.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I hate my SteelSeries Arctis 7's. The battery life is piss poor.

How are the HyperX's. I always hear good things about them? What other cans do you own?

My main pair is Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros but with them being open back when my wife is watching TV or something in the area I use the Cloud Alphas.

Another great open back set I enjoy is the Phillips SHP9500s that can usually be had for around $75 on Amazon if someone wants to try open backs.

zaitsu

Banned
Guerrilla did help on Death Stranding, lots of them in credits. Hundred plus.

I bet Horizon 2 started in late 2017 / early 2018, on PS4, aiming for 2020 PS4 release. Working on Death Stranding likely delayed Horizon's progress. Covid happened etc. I imagine they just pushed it back and said make a PS5 version too like Insomniac is doing with Miles.
Thats the case probably.

sircaw

Banned
So shes happy that they made her looking like a tranny? Because If they did a decent job with face scan tech, the result would be a lot different and better

I fail to actually recognize her from that screenshot, but considering she used to work at IGN it looks like they at least got her work location right from the picture.

kyliethicc

TBF, Horizon doesnt look like a traditional cross gen game like AC Black Flag, Destiny, MGSV, and Watch Dogs. It looks a whole lot better than the PS4 horizon. It seems they are redoing all the visuals at the very least. All that wildlife eco system, so a whole lot of work seems to have gone into making it look better. i have no idea how they will get that ported down to the jaguar cores.

I am curious to see if it will have flying in the PS5 version and if that will get cut in the PS4 version.
Have you read how Spider-Man on PS4 is being remastered? Its more than just an upres and shows the differences we can expect for that + Miles games vs PS4 Spider-man. I would hope Guerrilla is doing similar for HFW.

60 FPS, likely 4K
new character models, new facial animation
new art assets
ray traced reflections and shadows
more NPCs vehicles, better world density and life
instant loading
3d audio
DualSense haptics

Not bad for a cross gen version. Still held back of course.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Have you read how Spider-Man on PS4 is being remastered? Its more than just an upres and shows the differences we can expect for that + Miles games vs PS4 Spider-man. I would hope Guerrilla is doing similar for HFW.

"The remaster for the PS5 is no simple up-res, as many of the game’s art assets have been completely updated to take advantage of the PS5 console’s horsepower. You’ll see better-looking characters with improved skin, eyes, hair, and facial animation (including our new, next-generation Peter Parker). You’ll also see ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows, improved lighting, more pedestrians and vehicles stretching further into the distance, and the same optional performance mode offered on Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, allowing you to finally play the game at a targeted 60fps frame rate. We’ll be supporting near-instant loading, 3D audio, and the DualSense controller’s haptic feedback. Lastly we’re adding three amazing new Spider-Man suits, new photo mode features, and even new trophies for those of you looking to Platinum the game all over again."

60 FPS, likely 4K
new character models, new facial animation
new art assets
ray traced reflections and shadows
more NPCs vehicles, better world density and life
instant loading
3d audio
DualSense haptics

Not bad for a cross gen version. Still held back of course.
i did. I mentioned it in the other thread. Sony studios are definitely putting in more effort than third party devs do for these cross gen games. And are doing exactly what we wanted 343i to do with halo infinite. (next gen textures, ray tracing, effects etc.)

Neo Blaster

Yeah
I think we all expected the official prices to be much worse. And knowing How the Brazilian mind Works, Id bet tons of people are "happy" now willing to pay for that bc they expected for 6000 reais and beyond.

Gray market Will not have much space to cut from the original price otherwise they wont make mucb money. They Will sell at slightly cheaper price, and people Will preffer getting it on Amazon, submarino, americanas, casas Bahia etc.

Maybe once they realize people all are buying ps5 from big outlets, they Will be forced to do anything to offer a real better price.
Got a PS5 DE from Submarino + R$ 100 cashback and I won't even have to worry about Correios screwing delivery, I'll get it at the nearest Americanas from my house for free on November 20th, maybe even on launch day.

Few things:

The PS Plus collection is just former PS+ free games all available again. These aren't being added to a service they are effectively making games they gave away on PS4 for free if you were a sub free again. They never indicated that new games will be added or first party will go on day and date.

The following games are currently on GamePass for PC/XBOX:

Crusader Kings 3
MS Flight Sim 2020
Gears 5
Outer Worlds
Fallout New Vegas
ME 1 - 3
Halo MCC
Ori
Wasteland 3
Fable 1 - 3
MH World
Nier: Automata
The Witcher 3

I could go on and on. The first three are in the top 10 highest rates games in 2020 and they are available now.

kyliethicc

i did. I mentioned it in the other thread. Sony studios are definitely putting in more effort than third party devs do for these cross gen games. And are doing exactly what we wanted 343i to do with halo infinite. (next gen textures, ray tracing, effects etc.)
It will never excuse or change my disappointment that Horizon 2 will be designed around a hard drive, as will the future 3rd game too so it can be ported to PC.

But at least it should be a legit PS5 version of the game and not just literally playing a PS4 game on a newer console.

I'll stop there.
Witcher 3
Resident evil 7
Yakuza Kawami
Yakuza Kawami 2
Batman Arkham Knight
Dishonored 2
Outer worlds
Hellbalde
Tekken 7
Nicer Automata

my contribution to this topic for today, list of game pass game currently available
Disgaea 4 Complete+
Hotshot Racing
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Tactics
Star Renegades
The Jackbox Party Pack 4
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Touhou Luna Nights
Crusader Kings III
Drake Hollow
Double Kick Heroes
Wasteland 3
Hypospace Outlaw
Tell Me Why
New Super Lucky's Tale
Battletoads
Crossing Souls
Don't Starve: Giant Edition
Microsoft Flight Simulator
Spiritfarer
Final Fantasy VII
Darksiders Genesis
It Lurks Below
Trailmakers
The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man Of Medan
UnderMine
Xeno Crisis
F1 2019
The Touryst
Yakuza Kiwami 2
Nowhere Prophet
Grounded (Game Preview)
Carrion
Forager
Mount & Blade: Warband
Halo 3
Neon Abyss
CrossCode
Endless Space 2: Deluxe Edition
Fallout 76: Wastelanders
SoulCalibur VI
Out of the Park Baseball 21
Observation
Streets of Rogue
Night Call
The Bard's Tale ARPG: Remastered and Resnarkled
West of Dead
Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales
Battlefleet Gothic: Armada II
BattleTech
Dungeon of the Endless
Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 + II.5 ReMix
Kingdom Hearts HD II.8 Final Chapter Prologue
No Man's Sky
Minecraft Dungeons
Plebby Quest: The Crusades
Alan Wake
Fractured Minds
Golf With Your Friends
Endless Legend
Final Fantasy IX
Halo 2: Anniversary
DayZ
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries
HyperDot
Levelhead
Streets of Rage 4
Gears Tactics
Moving Out
Deliver Us the Moon
Yakuza Kiwami
Gato Roboto
Machinarium
The Long Dark
Football Manager 2020
Alvastia Chronicles
Journey to the Savage Planet
MISTOVER
Stranger Things 3: The Game
NieR Automata: Become as Gods Edition
Totally Reliable Delivery Service
Astrologaster
Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
Bleeding Edge
Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Kona
The Surge 2
Pikuniku
Train Sim World 2020
Mother Russia Bleeds
Halo: Combat Evolved - Anniversary
The Walking Dead: Season Two
Yakuza 0
Kingdom Hearts III
Two Point Hospital
Wasteland Remastered
Ninja Gaiden II
Reigns: Game of Thrones
World of Horror (Game Preview)
Death Squared
Death's Gambit
Final Fantasy XV
ScourgeBringer (Game Preview)
Wolfenstein: Youngblood
Fishing Sim World: Pro Tour
Sea Salt
A Plague Tale: Innocence
Indivisible
Children of Morta
Gris
FTL: Faster Than Light
Phoenix Point
Totally Accurate Battle Simulator (Game Preview)
Infinifactory
Pillars of Eternity: Complete Edition
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Untitled Goose Game
eFootball PES 2020
Overcooked! 2
Pathologic 2
Ticket to Ride
Demon's Tilt
Wandersong
Faeria
My Friend Pedro
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker
Europa Universalis IV
The Escapists 2
Darksiders III
Munchkin: Quacked Quest
Vambrace: Cold Soul
Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet Edition
Tracks: The Train Set Game
Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition
Age of Wonders: Planetfall
RAGE 2
Remnant: From the Ashes
The Talos Principle
Subnautica
The Lord of the Rings: Adventure Card Game
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Afterparty
The Outer Worlds
State of Mind
Lonely Mountains: Downhill
Secret Neighbor
Minit
Fallout: New Vegas
Felix the Reaper
World War Z
Yooka-Laylee
Dishonored 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
The Red Strings Club
Bad North: Jotunn Edition
DiRT Rally 2.0
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Enter the Gungeon
Gears 5: Ultimate Edition
Dead Cells
Blair Witch
The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut
Ape Out
Age of Empires: Definitive Edition
Stellaris
Slay the Spire
The Bard's Tale Trilogy
Downwell
Pandemic: The Board Game
Killer Instinct
Killer Instinct 2 Classic
Killer Instinct Classic
Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition
Worms W.M.D
Night Call
Middle-earth: Shadow of War
My Time at Portia
Goat Simulator
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Perfect Dark
Rare Replay
CrossCode
Astroneer
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Bridge Constructor Portal
Broforce
Guacamelee! 2
Halo: Spartan Strike
Hatoful Boyfriend
Hollow Knight: Voidheart Edition
Hotline Miami
Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight
Moonlighter
Rise of Nations: Extended Edition
The Messenger
The Turing Test
Thumper
Wizard of Legend
Dead by Daylight: Special Edition
Outer Wilds
Void Bastards
For The King
Black Desert
Surviving Mars
Tacoma
Descenders
Wargroove
Monster Hunter: World
The Walking Dead: A New Frontier
Minecraft
Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite
The Walking Dead: Michonne
What Remains of Edith Finch
Sea of Thieves
Alien: Isolation
Crackdown 3
de Blob
The Walking Dead: A Telltale Games Series
We Happy Few
Tekken 7
Frostpunk
Sword Art Online: Fatal Bullet
Absolver
ARK: Survival Evolved
Farming Simulator 17
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Shadow Warrior 2
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Spintires: MudRunner
Mortal Kombat X
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
The Gardens Between
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Rise & Shine
Sniper Elite 4
Hello Neighbor
Forza Horizon 4
Metro 2033 Redux
Westerado: Double Barreled
Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Quantum Break
Rush: A Disney Pixar Adventure
Ryse: Son of Rome
Rocket League
DiRT 4
Human Fall Flat
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Disneyland Adventures
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
State of Decay 2: Juggernaut Edition
Cities: Skylines
ClusterTruck
theHunter: Call of the Wild
OXENFREE
Super Lucky's Tale
Fable Anniversary
Halo Wars 2
Zoo Tycoon: Ultimate Animal Collection
Gears of War 4
Mass Effect
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition
Costume Quest 2
State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition
Fable II
ReCore: Definitive Edition
Dead Island: Definitive Edition
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Banjo-Tooie
Double Dragon Neon
Fable III
Fuzion Frenzy
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Gears of War: Judgment
Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
Halo 5: Guardians
Halo: Spartan Assault
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo: Elements of Power
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Payday 2: Crimewave Edition
Perfect Dark Zero
Saints Row IV: Re-Elected
ScreamRide
Sunset Overdrive
Terraria
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise

kyliethicc

Few things:

The PS Plus collection is just former PS+ free games all available again. These aren't being added to a service they are effectively making games they gave away on PS4 for free if you were a sub free again. They never indicated that new games will be added or first party will go on day and date.

The following games are currently on GamePass for PC/XBOX:

Crusader Kings 3
MS Flight Sim 2020
Gears 5
Outer Worlds
Fallout New Vegas
ME 1 - 3
Halo MCC
Ori
Wasteland 3
Fable 1 - 3
MH World
Nier: Automata
The Witcher 3

I could go on and on. The first three are in the top 10 highest rates games in 2020 and they are available now.
Well thanks thats all cool. PC doesn't matter to me, as I was comparing consoles. And yeah they're bascially giving away a lot of the games from PS Now or PS Plus as you said. Its still a great idea.

I missed some of those free games over the years and its a nice perk.

My main pair is Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pros but with them being open back when my wife is watching TV or something in the area I use the Cloud Alphas.

Another great open back set I enjoy is the Phillips SHP9500s that can usually be had for around $75 on Amazon if someone wants to try open backs.
I own the SHP9500 myself. Great open-back headphone. Wondering how well the DualSense will power higher-end headphones.

9500 + V-Moda Boompro = something better than the vast majority "gaming branded" headsets

For those wondering how well the 9500 sound, I would say the punch well above their asking price. Mids and highs are great, but don't expect strength in the lows since they are completely open-back. Soundstage is killer as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom