• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarin02543

I was wondering if anyone has been able to find out whether the PS5 is USB Audio Class 2 compliant. When I asked Sony a few weeks ago, they basically told me to wait for the official specs. Well, those specs are out now, and are silent on this issue.

Let me describe what I am talking about: Basically 99% of Digital Audio Converters (DACs) are UAC2 compliant. The PS4 Slim was only UAC1 compliant and did not work with most current DACs except the ancient ones that were UAC1.

Considering the fact that Sony eliminated the Optical port and the fact that most audio DACs do not have HDMI inputs/outputs, it would be fantastic if the PS5 was UAC2 compliant so we can use our own DACs and amplifiers and not rely on HDMI audio extractors to get the signal to our headphone and speaker amps.

I'm also looking at the best way of connecting a DAC headphone amplifier to the ps5.

zaitsu

Banned

wink.gif

almost heart attack xd

Interesting, the PS5 PSU is rated at 350 W vs the XSX at 315 W. Given that the PS5 is using a variable frequency approach vs XSXs fixed frequency approach, the real power consumption differential should be larger than 35 W. With a fixed frequency approach the PSU has to be designed with the worst case scenario in mind, and won't approach anywhere near that consumption during normal usage. Whereas with a variable frequency approach the system can simply clock down the frequency.
We don't yet the curve of power consume of RDNA 2.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to find out whether the PS5 is USB Audio Class 2 compliant. When I asked Sony a few weeks ago, they basically told me to wait for the official specs. Well, those specs are out now, and are silent on this issue.

Let me describe what I am talking about: Basically 99% of Digital Audio Converters (DACs) are UAC2 compliant. The PS4 Slim was only UAC1 compliant and did not work with most current DACs except the ancient ones that were UAC1.

Considering the fact that Sony eliminated the Optical port and the fact that most audio DACs do not have HDMI inputs/outputs, it would be fantastic if the PS5 was UAC2 compliant so we can use our own DACs and amplifiers and not rely on HDMI audio extractors to get the signal to our headphone and speaker amps.
As far as I know, that info hasn't been disclosed. It would certainly be a bummer for them not to make it AC2 compliant. We've been stuck on 48khz/16bit forever. I guess we will know more about that in the coming weeks.

geordiemp

I should edit this saying I am poking fun at him for thinking he knows the tech behind this stuff

Interesting take sorry if already posted this thread and light speed movement and all.

I will remove the tweet I angered some people.

In "interesting" I mean kind of funny.

Will be even funnier if XSX performs no better than ps5 for the king power crowd.

Xbox is wide and slower, but its not that wide in the shader array design, DF will be interesting.

XSS well no comment.

Last edited:
Cute Gifs guys...but what do they mean? Did Amazon start ordering at like 1AM this morning and run out already? I have my invite from Sony still, but this whole thing appears to be one giant clusterfuck at this point. :)

Yeah, they starting around midnight'ish and they are already gone, sorry to relay the bad news!

PaNaMa

Banned
What did Microsoft stand to gain by delaying Series X pre-orders til Sept 22?

Sony announced price and opened pre-orders hours later. Now everyones spent their money already on PS5 - MS didn't even give people the option to order a Series X before Sony took all their money.

Why did MS put this big artificial delay on pre-orders. Seems a bizzare choice. How is this a good strategy in any way?

mancs

lots of the first titles will resemble current gen(cross gen engine) , looking better and running better ,
the next gen assets and engines are still to come
that demons souls wowsh ,..
best till last? tgs in few days...

DaGwaphics

Sony announced price and opened pre-orders hours later. Now everyones spent their money already on PS5 - MS didn't even give people the option to order a Series X before Sony took all their money.

Why did MS put this big artificial delay on pre-orders. Seems a bizzare choice. How is this a good strategy in any way?

There weren't that many PS5s to go around, LOL. I think some money is still on the table.

I assume the original plan was to announce the price a bit closer to the 22nd.

I haven't preordered PS5 even though I wanted to.

Who knows..... I might preorder Xbox Series X if is easier than this to get.

Wow, thanks! I was online thru 2AM EST and it wasn't up. Sheesh. Well, at least I got my Sony invite...unless they fuck THAT up too!

No problem! If you got your Sony invite then you are golden, that starts on Friday from what I understand, I didn't get an email from them for mine so I had to fight online to snag one for myself!

TheAssist

So honest question:

What is better? Having good first party cross gen titles within the first year of the console oooor having very average launch games and then having to wait 1.5 to 2 years for the first decent exclusives.

I'm not sure how long it took for the 360 to get good first party exclusives that werent racing games. The truth is, that early launch games are mostly kinda meh (Ryse, KZ Shadowfall, Knack, Resistance FoM, Kameo, etc.) and do nothing new in the gameplay department anyway. Thats simply because they start development before the final specs of the new system are in, so devs cant really plan on doing completely untried new things during pre production when they have a super tide schedule on a new console that non of there devs have any experience with and they also dont know what the system is even capable.
So all they are, are graphical updates that despite being exclusive dont use the full hardware and offer nothing new gameplay wise. Ps1/N64 gen might have been the only outlier here because 3D.

So in that sense I understood MS in their strategy. Whats disappointing about their strategy is that we dont have any clue if their games are even coming out within the first year of the system, except for Halo which doesnt even look like any graphical update at all.

So I can see that it is disappointing that no games take full advantage of all the features of the new system, but I also think that this would not be possible anyway because of the reality of development. I guess in that sense having the games be cross gen is a good thing if it means the publisher puts more money into it because of the larger install base. At least you get something good to play on your new system. Even if its just higher res, more frames, and a bit more effects for good measure.

What I am trying to say is that I came around the idea that MS tried to present to the world. They had very good reason to follow that strategy. Though they still didnt deliver since most of their games are simply too far out. And while Sony spinned their message in a somewhat dishonest way, which is a shame, they still manage to pull that strategy of in a better way.
You can like that or you dont. I understand both points, though I think the way things are happening right now is the more reasonable and realistic way.

Of course I'd like to see a game that blows everything out of the water right at the beginning of a generation, but that hasnt happened since PS1/N64.

soulbait

To give the retailers time to prepare for it. Being able to prepare for all the extra server traffic on the websites is a big deal. Look at what happened today with PS5.

CraZed

Which games are everyone going with for launch? I'm 100% in on Spiderman MM (possibly Ultimate to replay the 1st game with all the extras), about 90% on Destruction All Stars (but I'd like to see more gameplay on this one). Plus I'll have Cyberpunk coming as well.

If I wasn't a fan of Bloodborne (I didn't care for the control scheme) and haven't played any of the other Souls games, is it worth a shot for me to try Demons Souls? I suppose I could always see if its on PS Now and try it there.
SMMM, Demon's Souls and Sackboy (got kids okay) and eventually FC6. Been not playing my PS4,
because I want to play my back catalogue and replay GoW, HZD, Bloodborne etc. on PS5 so that's more than enough to keep me busy for a while. Gonna wait on Cyberpunk to see if it's pc or ps5 and if it's actually any good. I'm kind of skeptical tbh.

Handy Fake

SMMM, Demon's Souls and Sackboy (got kids okay) and eventually FC6. Been not playing my PS4,
because I want to play my back catalogue and replay GoW, HZD, Bloodborne etc. on PS5 so that's more than enough to keep me busy for a while. Gonna wait on Cyberpunk to see if it's pc or ps5 and if it's actually any good. I'm kind of skeptical tbh.
Probably keep Bloodborne 'til last and if the above rumour of a remastered version is true you can play it for the first time in all its glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom