• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audiophile

V8pOefj.jpg

ky0Lpfl.jpg

CompAct Flash confIRmed!

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_savoring:

Edit: spellling corrected, too much rum..

Last edited:
I believe they were just taking the PCI-e bandwidth, 2GB/s per lane times 4 minus overhead. They either didn't know that a controller can't always saturate its host bandwidth, or were overhyping it, so I removed the tweet and just put the image they shared.

The overhead wouldn't actually result in 500 MB loss IIRC; PCIe 4.0 uses 128/130b encoding while the other ones used 8/10b encoding.

In other words with older PCIe specs like 3.0 1GB/s was actually more like 985 MB/s after taking out encoding overhead. So even with 8 GB/s theoretical actual overhead would only reduce it to 7.8 GB/s, and that's 8/10b.

The 7.5 GB/s should actually be closer to 7.954 GB/s, after taking out overhead.

(If I did the math right 128/130b encoding is 1/26 the cost of 8/10b encoding).

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
What are the chances of a "fake" serial number working on MS servers?
Same as me getting a date with kate beckinsale lol. This was probably a family member of high level employee who got to take one home to play with. Not a controlled leak if the SN was not already taken by live lol.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
The overhead wouldn't actually result in 500 MB loss IIRC; PCIe 4.0 uses 128/130b encoding while the other ones used 8/10b encoding.

In other words with older PCIe specs like 3.0 1GB/s was actually more like 985 MB/s after taking out encoding overhead. So even with 8 GB/s theoretical actual overhead would only reduce it to 7.8 GB/s, and that's 8/10b.

The 7.5 GB/s should actually be closer to 7.954 GB/s, after taking out overhead.

(If I did the math right 128/130b encoding is 1/26 the cost of 8/10b encoding).
check your numbers again. Looks like you're the saying final b/w will be more than the theoretical max.

check your numbers again. Looks like you're the saying final b/w will be more than the theoretical max.

Just did; they were measuring the 7.5 GB from 4x PCIe 4.0 lanes right? 7.954 would still be below 8. Just thought 7.5 GB off 4 PCIe 4.0 lanes after accounting overhead was too high knowing the encoding is more efficient on 4 than the previous ones.

TBF, 7.954 would just be theoretical maximum after taking out overhead. There's probably lots of other factors with the controller itself that'd keep it from hitting that number so something like 7.5 is more realistic for max real-world performance at peak.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJY

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
As saintjules saintjules said, it's a strange/bad time for a leak. If it's a controlled leak, they did a real bad job of it. I would have expected more explosions. Maybe nobody really cares LOL

If it were a controlled leak it’s intent was nothing more than the intent of showing the box the first time was. There are renders and drawings just like it out there. If real and not a 3D printed fake, it wont generate much buzz because we’ve already kind of seen the box. Not much new to see. It simply gets people talking about the new box.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
As saintjules saintjules said, it's a strange/bad time for a leak. If it's a controlled leak, they did a real bad job of it. I would have expected more explosions. Maybe nobody really cares LOL
I don't see why they would leak something like this Phil would just tweet it like the die shot or do an interview showing off the console. A leak on Tuesday night like this does not fit what Phil has been doing.

FrozenFlame

Question, was anything said about the back buttons of the dualshock 5 regarding how they'll be used? Are they only shortcuts for the front buttons or can they be used as extra functions (ex. leaning left/right)?

ethomaz

Banned
I did a bit of research of PC ports and I really can’t believe MS put an old and standard SD card port in the box.

So my best guesses are that it is a proprietary port for SSD expansion unit.

Why proprietary? Because there is no external SDD port in PC market... so it is probably something only done by MS to Xbox.

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
If it were a controlled leak it’s intent was nothing more than the intent of showing the box the first time was. There are renders and drawings just like it out there. If real and not a 3D printed fake, it wont generate much buzz because we’ve already kind of seen the box. Not much new to see. It simply gets people talking about the new box.
If it's a controlled leak, it's pretty damn lame. If it's a real leak, it's exciting because of the potential for more. Like seeing what's on the inside.

saintjules

More explosions during peak time hours in the day. Unfortunately this came out at around 8:30 EST. Usually engagements are a little lower then. Depends on who you are and what you're posting.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
No Battlefield this year, which is a shame. Even as a mess that it was, BF4 was a good mp launch title.
Ohh damn no Battlefield or COD this year? Crazy. I loved Battlefield 4 too. I wonder what 3rd party games we'll see in the 2nd half of 2020 with Cyberpunk, Outriders, Dying Light 2 and Marvel's Avengers

Last edited:
MS can't be so stupid as to have a controlled leak without obscuring the serial. I believe it's an actual leak. Looks like the photos were taken at someone's home. Maybe the kid of the MS employee.
I don't know if the serial is an indication of anything, but if I were to leak pictures of my new expensive technological product I wouldn't use the ones with dust, hairs and scratches around the ports. It makes it look cheap and old.

ZywyPL

Banned
Some modern-retro PS2/PS2 "Slim"/WipeOut inspired front-packaging both with Sony's official logo and my prior logo concept:

Click Image for Higher Res.

Really miss the super-simplistic, iconic and bold packaging/branding of the past....

The bottom logos are just so damn spot on. Sony look at this, you still have time!

Hey OsirisBlack OsirisBlack , i’m trying to figure out the riddles info you dropped and I think I might have it:
  • MS is buying one or more legacy Konami IP
  • Sony has contracted Capcom for an exclusive game
So the Konami vs Capcom, was more a MS vs Sony proxy.

Am I hot? Cold? Lukewarm? Or frigid like tanker of LNG?

Last edited:
yeah, thats the real question imo. we have to understand that current gen was only a 2x jump when it came to pixels. 720p to 1080p. next gen is going to be 4x as we go to native 4k.

lets assume the devs havent lost their minds and they will settle for 1440p for 4kcb. thats roughly a 2x increase in pixels. but then we start adding new features like ray tracing, destruction, physics and super fast travel across game worlds thanks to the ray tracing hardware, massive cpu upgrade and ssds and you start to wonder if even a 12 tflops gpu can keep up with all that.

you can have the fastest cpu in the world, but it wont let you do 60 fps at a decent res if you dont have the gpu horsepower. all the a.i enhancements might let you govern 1000 NPCs and their unique reactions but its the gpu that has to render those 1000 npcs. ray tracing kills performance in nvidia rtx cards. lord knows what its going to do to consoles.

hellblade gave me hope because it showed me that devs will take the route of wowing us with phototrealistic environments, massive open worlds, fantastic water/ocean/weather simulations and character models approaching cgi. they wont waste gpu cycles on native 4k, or 60 fps or ray tracing features that only tick boxes in most cases. they are going with eye popping features. and i hope other devs follow suit. control has like five different rt features and its not even close to being the best looking game this year.

That's the wonderful thing about next-gen is there really won't be any standout bottleknecks (that we know of yet). I think most people that own 4K TVs would admit that a sub-4K resolution is perfectly acceptable.

So, developers this gen will have a LOT more freedom to tailor a particular game to their liking without having any huge shortcomings. If a dev wants to push graphics at all costs, then they have decent margin to just reduce the resolution a bit, amp up the effects, and go for 30 fps.

So apparently the Sony Hall is closed for a "private event" on February 29th.

Is this it?

I'm sure private events are probably quite common...so I'm not sure if you can glean much from this.

Please keep in mind that Sony announces their financial results on 2/4. I suspect we will have SOME sort of announcement about an upcoming reveal date before then, and if not, then they will likely disclose a timeframe during the conference call.

Chromata

I'm sure private events are probably quite common...so I'm not sure if you can glean much from this.

Please keep in mind that Sony announces their financial results on 2/4. I suspect we will have SOME sort of announcement about an upcoming reveal date before then, and if not, then they will likely disclose a timeframe during the conference call.

You're probably right, even though it's the only private event this month. I just hope the reveal isn't in March.

You're probably right, even though it's the only private event this month. I just hope the reveal isn't in March.

I can't imagine Sony would go any later than GDC which is March 16.

Everything points to February. If they go past GDC it will be truly bonkers WTF is Sony thinking territory.

44alltheway

There is user on the other place claims that Klee inboxed him that feb meeting is towards the end of feb .

(we don’t know if that conversation exist or not but wanted to put it out here )
There's also a guy saying that Sony is planning an event for spring (which implies later on like March-May) and that Sony is working on a new IP. he says that he has been vetted before but on a different topic (it being DC movies), looks like he will need to be vetted again for the new stuff he's saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom