• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Basically how I feel about it, too. 16 is just way too high in terms of 1st-party launch titles; I think 5-8 is more doable with some of those being AA, though. For Sony, the only reason I'd shoot lower (3-5) is because they've been releasing AAA games pretty consistently even up to this year. Just a month or two ago it was Death Stranding, in a few more months it'll be TLOU2 and maybe Ghosts of Tsushima too. So their AAA efforts with current-gen are more saturated at this point which might mean a few less at PS5 launch, unless we're counting PS4 games that get a PS5 patch Day 1.

XSX-wise we already know it's gonna get Halo Infinite and most likely a new Forza, I think those are definites. PS5 I think they'll have a Day 1 patch for TLOU2, and it feels like Ghosts has been shifted to PS5 (just my hunch). A lot of people seem to think Horizon 2 could also be there Day 1 and a new Gran Turismo, but that's just speculation. Just like the Perfect Dark rumors (though I guess more substantial since the last PD was almost 15 years ago; bringing that back they'd pretty much have to soft-reboot the IP and redesign tons of things).

I think both systems are gonna have a nice chunk of 3rd-party launch exclusives though. They'll probably be timed. I'm still hoping XSX has at least one 1st-party that is genuine XSX-exclusive even if timed. Release it on other platforms like a year or two later like PC. Still not 100% sure about the cross-gen angle until they talk more about it; technically they already have Xcloud and Gamepass, XBO owners could just stream the games digitally and boom, cross-gen fulfilled. They don't need a native version to run locally on their platform IMHO.

TBF, Hellblade 1 had a super-low budget. Even less than, say, Shenmue III's and that game's budget is probably shy of $10 million. Given the budget, Hellblade accomplished a lot visually, though they had to sacrifice in other areas to do that.

I think we need to see what they can do with a AAA/AAAA-level budget before stating for sure where they can go in terms of visual wow-factor. That being said, companies like Naughty Dog are among the top of the industry when it comes to visual realism and technical prowess. MS will definitely be funding NT with bigger budgets so they can push their capabilities further, with time I can see their top-end stuff being highly competitive with Naughty Dog's, Guerrilla's, etc.
I agree. I think both will have 4-7 launch exclusives alongside multiplats like NBA 2K, Battlefield, UFC, Assassin's Creed, Fifa

bitbydeath

Nice.

A fucking design that makes sense. High powered components need proper cooling. Plenty of room in this box to stick a decent sized fan that intakes the air from the bottom and exhausts it out the top.

Now can someone come up with a functional concept design for PS5 that takes into account the required cooling solution needed for these high powered components?

PS5’s first devkit was a tower but they later changed to this behemoth.

images

CJY

Banned
If I'm not mistaken, it's the first look at the back/ports of the Xbox Series X. I'd wager it's pretty close to final, minus the long port.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thank you finally somebody is getting what I.m saying even if I,m talking about WHAT I EXPECT A NEXT GEN GAME MUST LOOK LIKE, I don't even care for the final result, hellblade 2 is an example, if any game achieve THAT result, we are talking about next gen leap, if not, quite disappoint will be. the question is for that to be true how much compute power do you need? how many tflops must the console do? because is this the reason why everybody matters about next gen machine tflops, to understand the probable leap in gaming visuals
yeah, thats the real question imo. we have to understand that current gen was only a 2x jump when it came to pixels. 720p to 1080p. next gen is going to be 4x as we go to native 4k.

lets assume the devs havent lost their minds and they will settle for 1440p for 4kcb. thats roughly a 2x increase in pixels. but then we start adding new features like ray tracing, destruction, physics and super fast travel across game worlds thanks to the ray tracing hardware, massive cpu upgrade and ssds and you start to wonder if even a 12 tflops gpu can keep up with all that.

you can have the fastest cpu in the world, but it wont let you do 60 fps at a decent res if you dont have the gpu horsepower. all the a.i enhancements might let you govern 1000 NPCs and their unique reactions but its the gpu that has to render those 1000 npcs. ray tracing kills performance in nvidia rtx cards. lord knows what its going to do to consoles.

hellblade gave me hope because it showed me that devs will take the route of wowing us with phototrealistic environments, massive open worlds, fantastic water/ocean/weather simulations and character models approaching cgi. they wont waste gpu cycles on native 4k, or 60 fps or ray tracing features that only tick boxes in most cases. they are going with eye popping features. and i hope other devs follow suit. control has like five different rt features and its not even close to being the best looking game this year.

saintjules

BS. It’s legit. Even Brad Sams tweeted:

What is odd is that the barcode and serial number are identifiable in this image. Microsoft tracks these prototypes and the person who was assigned this hardware is about to have a bad day. That being said, at least you can now understand the actual design of the back of Xbox Series X.

Someone's in trouble lol. Didn't even blur it out.

FrozenFlame

It be the best fake I have seen in years with aged stickers, vents eject button, logos above ports to assist set up ect. That would be meticulous work for a fake.
Eh, there was that gaffer that managed to fool a lot of people with a fake gamepad.

Imtjnotu

NO way it's fake IMO. Even if it is though, it's a black box. Not much to fake in fairness.

Surprised the serial number isn't blurred though.
The whole are too perfect and the slot on top you can see into it and see the holes for the top lid. That's real.

quest

Not Banned from OT
The guys in the feed (David already left) just said right now they all think it's real.

Our friend Timdog said the guy who posted those pictures is going to be fired tomorrow, cause they didn't even try to blur de serial number.
Well he should take pictures of the inside for us then since they are getting the axe anyways lol.

CJY

Banned
Not really sure why anyone would think that's a dev kit when it clearly says PROTOTYPE on the sticker.

It just doesn't look like a dev kit at all. More like a prototype of the consumer model.

Here's an image of the One X dev kit for reference:

xbox_scorpio_dev_kit_front_1-1152x648.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom