• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reindeer

Time for digital foundry to break its loading screens down to the 0.0000 Msec range.

I don’t know about you, but COD loading 0.2477 seconds more slowly on SX is game destroying, and I simply won’t tolerate it.
You know fanboys are going to hold on to every millisecond. Extremely small loading time difference could be the new 400X zoom.

Last edited:
I think he leaked the first photo of the PS5 devkit. Doesn't say he knows what the retail box looks like though.
The ps5 dev kit photo was leaked by the Sony official patent in Brasil and not him . He just posted it and pretended it’s his .

As for console, he posted the crooked ps5 X picture few days back even though someone else had posted that before on reddit . He pretended again it’s his and when the user posted the video of it being fake he said well obviously it was fake eventhough he said he knows for sure sony considered this design.
Like come on

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
You know fanboys are going to hold on to every millisecond. Extremely small loading time difference could be the new 400X zoom.

The stupid thing is that over a certain speed the perceivable time delay, at this point in technology anyway (and I must stress that part) is utterly pointless. This isn’t something that you will see during normal gameplay, you wouldn’t even notice it when assets are called. The only time it would matter is when shifting assets through memory, so in layman’s terms your generic bog standard loading calls, and then it’s absolutely minimal because it’s theoretical minimum and maximum bounce about so wildly anyway.

In short, this is far more than enough for general use, and anything more is, dare i say it, a bit overkill... at least at THIS POINT IN TIME. As assets get much larger and much more complex, faster speeds will of course help. But even then, by the end of the generation many years from now, you will simply be looking at such a minimal speed increase that t won’t matter at all, even in fringe edge cases.

What will matter, is GPU grunt and cpu power, and the jury is still out on these two for both machines. As it stands, there is more out there that the SX is better than the PS5, but that can change as easy as the weather depending on the “leaker”.

But make no mistake about the SSD. I see some Sony fanboys creaming at the thought they may have a better one, and MS fanboys crying that it doesn’t matter... this isn’t the same situationas PS4 and xbox one. This isn’t going to be some massive 900p to 1080p difference. This is minimal, at best, for asset calling and steaming into memory. You won’t be walking through a level and a tree pops in. That’s not how this works.

So from what i can see, speaking purely from what information is available, one company has spent a lot of cash on expensive SSD tech, and the other didnt... that will have some effect on the price of the console, and more importantly, the quality of components used in the console to hit a set price mark.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
No, please dont add to confusion Rights.

3.5Gb/s is extremely fast, but Scarlett has a DRAMless version. So slower than that, maybe by quite a bit.

Also 3.5Gb is E19T not E19.
Having no DRAM on your SSD mostly has an influence on writing, not reading. So for loading assets this doesn't have that much of an influence. It actually makes sense that Microsoft went with DRAM-less since it's not a that you use for work. Besides the OS, it only saves games, and maybe some images/videos that you record.

What are you on about? There was no photo included in the patent, only drawings.
I saw the pictures there.maybe it was added later .

Thats not the point .explain to me how someone with insider knowledge posts a picture of fake ps5 and says sony for sure considered this as a design . We will have to wait to find out if it is final or not . Then few days later we learn someone had faked the whole thing to troll reddit .

How does someone with insde knowledge says a fake ps5 form factor is being considered by sony "for sure" ?

MARTYWOLF

Could MS alter this SSD to have less speed on the write speed, and increase the read speed? Like 4.5gb read/2.0gb write?

Hard to know really without trying to sound corny go back to scarlett reveal video and listen to what they say about the ssd. Its more then just a stock ssd thats a given

someone explain 2:06 to me aha

Last edited:

Dolodolo

In this article, there is an item with a brief collection of information from the podcast(Could any of you listen to this podcast and check all the information that is laid out in the picture. I just don't know Polish)
The last point is particularly interesting. It is highlighted in red
I don't know what kind of person this is, but the poles call him the Polish Jason Schreier
OoxMEdD.jpg

In this article, there is an item with a brief collection of information from the podcast(Could any of you listen to this podcast and check all the information that is laid out in the picture. I just don't know Polish)
The last point is particularly interesting. It is highlighted in red
I don't know what kind of person this is, but the poles call him the Polish Jason Schreier
OoxMEdD.jpg

Not surprising. Unfortunately, that game is tethered to old consoles so wont be mind blowing gameplay wise or visually. Lord knows how constrained XBX exclusives will be because of the ancient XB1 and its netbook CPU, GPU and HDD.

FrozenFlame

Ohh damn no Battlefield or COD this year? Crazy. I loved Battlefield 4 too. I wonder what 3rd party games we'll see in the 2nd half of 2020 with Cyberpunk, Outriders, Dying Light 2 and Marvel's Avengers

No Battlefield this year. CoD, i think that the rumor is Black Ops 5. As for the games for the 2nd half of 2020, i think the right question is which games won't be delayed to the first half of 2021...

SgtCaffran

How does someone with insde knowledge says a fake ps5 form factor is being considered by sony "for sure" ?
I don't know if he's a real insider. I just know he was the first one to post an actual photo of the PS5 devkit and that was what the other poster referred to. We will find out soon(tm).

Reindeer

I'm laughing because this is exactly what those clowns will make entire videos about and number of blades of grass pop-up in each version etc.
Well, it is their job to highlight differences even if they are tiny, that's the whole point of DF videos. You could only blame them if they make a big deal out of these small differences.

Last edited:
Well, it is their job to highlight differences even if they are tiny, that's the whole point of DF videos. You could only blame them if they make a big deal out of these small differences.

They've been doing that since PS360 era. Xbox fanboy Leadbetter loves stirring hornets nest when Xbox has an imperceptible advantage so be prepared for much more this gen.

DF's Dark10X is great and more balanced though.

Last edited:
That port on Series X is limited to 250W.
What sort of reduction in power do you get from dropping down from 16nm to 7nm?
One X under heavy game load was around 170 watts. So doubling the power of the one x to get us 12tflops equals about 340 watts under load. But you arnt doubling up the BR drive, or the hard drive power, or the RAM power etc, and are getting a power saving from the die shrink, so all up it should be under 300 watts you would think.
Sorry for the hood maths, but you get my point.

jonnyp

They always make a big deal out of things that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I find their whole MO ridiculous and have never understood their popularity.

THE:MILKMAN

That port on Series X is limited to 250W.

That is what I believed but I learnt that the later CUH-7200 PS4 Pro model switched back to the figure-8 connector even though it still had a ~300W PSU so I guess that isn't true anymore. Saying that though, I would imagine even if PS5 used ~250W it would mean Sony would likely use a PSU rated at 400W at least going by their previous consoles. e.g. OG PS4 had a 250W PSU/used ~150W, Pro 310W PSU/used ~175W and OG PS3 380W PSU/used ~200W.

I imagine the bare minimum PSU XSX would have is 300W if it uses 250W or 350W if around 300W.

Reindeer

So
They always make a big deal out of things that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. I find their whole MO ridiculous and have never understood their popularity.
So you are saying they shouldn't highlight small differences just because it's not a big deal? That kinda defeats the purpose of showing what differences there are between various versions. The ones that make a big deal out of this are fanboys who think those small differences matter in grand scheme of things. But to say DF shouldn't be thorough in their analysis just because it's not a big deal makes no sense whatsoever.

nowhat

Anything less than 5 seconds is not even worth talking about. There's only a couple of seconds difference between very expensive NVMes compared to the cheaper ones .
In terms of loading (like a save state or quick traveling, so on), sure. But in terms of streaming assets, differences that may seem quite marginal on paper may be somewhat significant IRL.

(note I'm not making any kind of statement as to the performance/specs of either console - I'll wait for the official specs for both, I'm done speculating/trying to solve riddles)

Reindeer

They've been doing that since PS360 era. Xbox fanboy Leadbetter loves stirring hornets nest when Xbox has an imperceptible advantage so be prepared for much more this gen.

DF's Dark10X is great and more balanced though.
I take it he was an PS4 fanboy all that time it had the power advantage over regular Xbox One and then quickly switched over to Xbox when it became more powerful. And also he was as such an Xbox fanboy that kept giving best looking game award to PlayStation games.

/s

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned
I saw the pictures there.maybe it was added later .

Thats not the point .explain to me how someone with insider knowledge posts a picture of fake ps5 and says sony for sure considered this as a design . We will have to wait to find out if it is final or not . Then few days later we learn someone had faked the whole thing to troll reddit .

I know the answer:

Because they are attention seeking liars and human scum.

And they enjoy when gullible people defend them like they are the next jesus.

99% of these "insiders" just copypaste stuff from original sources and claim they are the source + add some guesses which could be true but anybody with some tech knowledge could do the same guesses.

Imo people that defend them are worse than these liars, because they wont believe anything because they are too stubborn/stupid to understand.

Kind of like when man warns a woman that the new guy she is dating is 99% certainly an asshole and wants just one thing, because it is just so obvious of how the man behaves that another man sees it in a second.

But the woman is just too blind to see the hints and instead defends the new guy because she just thinks that second dude is jealous.

Nobody is jealous about these scam artist insiders, but people still defend them like it would be the case.

Best case is to not to believe anything before official release. Or least not take anything seriously and defend them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom