• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop lying! You tried to convince here everybody that X1X will have a Zen CPU 3 years ago. Even Matt warned you, you didn't quit. You never even thought that X1X will have a Jaguar CPU.

Even X1X with Navi and beyond....Bank on it

This is to me the hilarious part. After Digital Foundry made a revealed a specs video for X1X a.k.a Scorpio confirming Jaguar CPU, Polaris GPU... :

But then Matt's funny reply :

its like he lives in lala land and now again he expects us to believe him without showing any proof.lol

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
He said bingo to 12.08 calculation . That’s how i remember

And that's why it's important to read everything. This BS still makes its rounds, but Klee actually said a bit later when pressed on the subject that he just said Bingo because the math checked out (amount of TF for the CUs the 12.08 TF poster used). And not because that is the number.

darkinstinct

OsirisBlack confirmed the AC Ragnarok leaker was legit. According to actual industry insider ZhugeEX it was not, it was "not even getting the name right and based on outdated publicly available information". That should tell you everything you need to know.

darkinstinct

By this point last generation, were people aware of which console would be more powerful?

No, because one had 8 GB of RAM and the other 4 GB, one had a higher number of CUs at lower speeds than the other. There was no clear winner until Sony went with 8 GB. We have a similar situation now, just reversed. Microsoft went with a higher amount of CUs at lower speeds. Sony with less CUs but at higher speeds. If the leaks are right, both XSX and PS5 are natural evolutions of the same design decisions that were made for Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. Which makes a lot of sense.

Shin

Banned
According to actual industry insider ZhugeEX

giphy.gif

Dolodolo

OsirisBlack confirmed the AC Ragnarok leaker was legit. According to actual industry insider ZhugeEX it was not, it was "not even getting the name right and based on outdated publicly available information". That should tell you everything you need to know.
Could you show Osiris ' messages where he says this? Thanks

xool

Not sticking up for OsirisBlack but ZhugeEx has been "faking it until you make it" on forums before he got a job as an "VG analyst" which is code for "I've set up a company in case suckers will actually pay to hear me speculate because taxes" ..

ZhugeEx isn't an insider. He's coatailing the industry.

/imo

Last edited:

darkinstinct

Look up, he just said which one has a better RT solution.

He also said they would be close. He also said that one console had a shitty software based implementation. So either XSX is far more powerful than PS5 to make up that difference in RT performance - or he is just lying. Worth pointing out that AMD leak showed RT hardware for XSX, not for PS5. And we have LocalRay, a small Israelian company saying they have a raytracing contract for a console that they can't talk about until summer. Which means that they very likely provide Sony, because AMD has their own solution. LocalRay uses a mere 3 Watt for their system, they are focused on bringing raytracing to mobile devices. Yet OsirisBlack claims that PS5 is better at drawing rays. It's all a bunch of easily proven wrong BS.

darkinstinct

Not sticking up for OsirisBlack but ZhugeEx has been "faking it until you make it" on forums before he got a job as an "VG analyst" which is code for "I've set up a company in case suckers will actually pay to hear me speculate because taxes" ..

ZhugeEx isn't an insider. He's coatailing the industry.

/imo

And yet, he was the one that revealed when the announcement that Sony was not going to be at E3 was going to be official. Nobody else.

FrozenFlame

"-Guerilla announces Killzone: Breach. A mp only title for PS5 and PC. The influence from games like R6 can be seen a lot during the trailer. Full destructible enviroment and a "War" mode that features up to 80 players in a fully destructible arena (Remember that first Crackdown 3 demo?). Available at launch. "

I fail to see how a game with 80 players will have R6 influence. If anything, it makes it sound like a BF game. I think he only went for the R6 angle because it is known that Guerrilla hired R6S devs for an upcoming multiplayer game.

Edit: Also, honest question, what is ray traced audio?

Last edited:

pawel86ck

Banned
Can you remember the mod message one page back ?

Just stop.
He wasnt claiming PS5 is a monster from insider perspective, but made a joke about insiders who post similar claims. It was clearly a joke and I'm surprised so many people here cant see it.

He also said they would be close. He also said that one console had a shitty software based implementation. So either XSX is far more powerful than PS5 to make up that difference in RT performance - or he is just lying. Worth pointing out that AMD leak showed RT hardware for XSX, not for PS5. And we have LocalRay, a small Israelian company saying they have a raytracing contract for a console that they can't talk about until summer. Which means that they very likely provide Sony, because AMD has their own solution. LocalRay uses a mere 3 Watt for their system, they are focused on bringing raytracing to mobile devices. Yet OsirisBlack claims that PS5 is better at drawing rays. It's all a bunch of easily proven wrong BS.
dude that isreali company is doing software raytracing . sony has specifically mentioned RT in GPU hardware

draliko

The only thing i'm pretty sure (still not 100%) is that being xbox a family of devices now, the new os will have the same interface as the one testing in the new alpha builds, i believe they're going to keep the interface the same across all xbox devices, this saddens me a bit, it removes a bit of surprise from the unboxing, on the other hand it relieves me as they don't have to reinvent the wheel every time :)

Mass Shift

See. I like leaks like these. If nothing else, it's very specific and easily proven (or not) if it doesn't happen.

That said, no, I don't believe this.

Nobody should. The person comes off as having a seat or a vine at everyone's table. Most reliable leakers have sources that are hooked into very specific things.

People should always be weary of the person claiming to know it all, and with this insane amount of detail.

More wish list than leak.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Hot take: the reason Xbox made backwards compatibility so damn amazing that everybody suddenly wanted it was nothing to do with playing your old games, it was about playing your old games in 4k, and smoother.

As the PSClassic showed the world, nobody wants to play old games at their old resolution and settings. Playing ps1 and PS2 games now feels like pain. But playing them on 4k would be a godsend... but every leak so far has suggested that while BC is a big thing all of a sudden for Sony (after their past comments too), they will play exactly as they did before.

So for me, full BC is a pipe dream, because it would need to be in higher resolution (something you can’t just do on a all cases method), but also could present license issues along the way with certain digital cases. Shit loads of 1/2 games already will never be digital.

It’s a tricky one, because it’s entirely possible they have a full BC system in place, but I dont see them having the games in higher resolution, and that for me is more important.

Last edited:

xool

And yet, he was the one that revealed when the announcement that Sony was not going to be at E3 was going to be official. Nobody else.

Not aware of that one. It's so meta though isn't it. Who cares when a press release is going to be published ? We're here for screenies of new game and tech specs, not pre-announcements of announcements a day early - what's the point ?

Rossco EZ

"-Guerilla announces Killzone: Breach. A mp only title for PS5 and PC. The influence from games like R6 can be seen a lot during the trailer. Full destructible enviroment and a "War" mode that features up to 80 players in a fully destructible arena (Remember that first Crackdown 3 demo?). Available at launch. "

I fail to see how a game with 80 players will have R6 influence. If anything, it makes it sound like a BF game. I think he only went for the R6 angle because it is known that Guerrilla hired R6S devs for an upcoming multiplayer game.

Edit: Also, honest question, what is ray traced audio?
i’m not 100% sure but i think it is something like sound being able to bounce off surfaces and keep travelling, like echos or something along those lines.
not sure if you’d like to watch this video but this is something i watched however i flicked through it a while ago when it was released :messenger_beaming:

Dolodolo

Not aware of that one. It's so meta though isn't it. Who cares when a press release is going to be published ? We're here for screenies of new game and tech specs, not pre-announcements of announcements a day early - what's the point ?
It is not necessary to doubt ZhugeEx. He was never wrong about the things he leaked
You can give a lot of examples, but you can go look in the news yourself
From the last. It was he who hinted that Resident evil 3 will not be on TGA, but on " another show"

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Guys it doesn't matter which is more powerful. Naughty Dog will make it LOOK like Jak 4 is running on a 20tf machine and Dad of War 2 will do much the same.

I know that the Xbx is more powerful than the pro yet certain games look better than anything on the X. Now that could be because of the higher baseline because of the regular X1 needing to run these games but won't Lockhart have that same anchor effect?

LED Guy?

Banned
Interesting, must have missed that. The only thing he's said about PS5 is that it's greater than 10TF, correct?

Kleegamefan said the XSX is a slightly above 12 TF, that “BINGO” comment he made was about the TF figure, not the actual CU and clock speeds that achieved that TF number.

webber

Believable leak but it doesn't seem like a Sony thing to do to hire Geoff Keighley to host their very special and full of technicalities event. They're more of a devs and high tech people kind of vibe.
But then again who knew they would skip 2 E3s in a row? Leadership changes and so do philosophies.
But I still have this feeling that these TF numbers are GCN equivalent, because if it isn't, 12TF of Navi RDNA is waaay past RTX 2080 Super level of powers.
So I'll stick to 9.8TF RDNA (12.25TF GCN) and U$450-500 because of SSD and HW Ray Tracing.

darkinstinct

yes but what they r presenting now is intelligent software based raytarcing best suited for mobile/handheld use(maybe the switch revision will have it?)

Can you imagine if Switch has three or even four SKUs to develop for, all with different feature sets? Not happening. And I think the AMD RT solution won't be that much better. There's a reason why AMD says "select RT features" and goes on to say "full raytracing support powered by the cloud" on their slides from last summer. You don't use cloud computing for raytracing if you are confident in your local hardware solution. Raytracing in both consoles will play a very, very limited role.

darkinstinct

yeah i posted this because someone posted a leak in here the other day that said something about elder scrolls launching with new consoles so it was something i thought i’d share

Bethesda said last E3 that ES6 was a long time away and that Starfield would launch before ES6. So anybody claiming that ES6 is a launch title for new consoles is just a filthy liar.

NeroDaGod

The way you reach these conclusions is actually laughable 😂😂🤣🤣

joe_zazen

yeah as a Sony fan it’s been a frustrating two years. Layden takes over and we get a hipster hippie version of E3 in 2018 with flute guy and literally zero major reveals.

then they decide to not show up at all in 2019 and we get some lame state of plays.

it’s honestly felt like being a Microsoft fan for the first time in a long while. Just not a whole lot to get excited for.

My hope is that they have held everything back for an enormous blowout at PSM 2020 for PS5. Sony knows that first impressions are a huge deal with console reveals. They can’t screw it up.

me too. Never been a ms/xbox guy, in fact you could say I hate MS because they work with US military, have tried to subvert US democracy, and were prosecuted for monopoly colusion.

but X fans have been having way more fun in the lead up to next gen. I’ve been thinking about why...

• current sony signature AAA don't do it for me, and xbox looks to have some genuine variety in their line up, even if many if their studios are ‘just’ AA. I mean how can you not be jealous of them having Schaffer and Obsidian and Fargo? Plus they have TWO single player focused racing games, sony has zero. I get that some love the 20-30 hour, single player, 3rd person action-adventure rpg-lite, with mature story tailored to millennial Americans. I find them boring.
  • xbox talks a lot and and aren‘t secretive. Spencer gets a retail version of xsx in his home, he tweets it. He has a picture of the chip, he shares it. Someone asks him about studio autonomy, he answers them...idk, Sony management is charasima free and operate like they are run by old japanese businessmen.

• subscription service...day one first party games plus a variety of new-ish games i actually want to play, like Slay the Spire, Outer Wilds, Outer Worlds, Forza, Horizon, and you get all the new MS games...PSnow is kinda balls despite having 800 games.
  • Sony cheap as fuck. Studio closures, 1 racing game in 7 years with garbo single player content, name changes taking a decade to implement, noisy cheap console design, cancelling the big shows like e3 and psx and not replacing them.
And while I really want Sony to blow me away with their ps5 reveal, my gut tells me they wont. Tokyo was probably not happy with PlayStation‘s positioning for the upcoming generation either, given the huge SIE management shakeup.

i expect:
  • No talk of power or specs because ps5 is a 8-9 TF noisy console, hobbled by their need to design the hardware around ps4 back compatibility and their cheap AF playstation strategy. They will talk about the 2TB ssd and memory though
  • UHD versions of ps4 games like gtsport, tlou2, spiderman
  • ps5 equivalent of ps4 launch day game exclusives (resogun, killzone, knack)
  • Psnow tweaks but no fundamental changes
  • a few third party, non exclusive trailers
I hope for more (dual gpu baabee!), but the above is what i expect. Anyway, compared to ps4 lead up, this one has been kinda lame so far.

No way it is more expensive. You pay for die size. 48 cus takes up more die than 40 Cu's.

cost comes from how many viable chips you get from a wafer, and size is not the only factor.

They disable cus because chips have defects. If you are looking to make a 40/40 CU chip, there can be no defects. This will drastically cut your chips/wafer ratio, and there is nothing a console manufacturer can do with all those rejected chips, huge waste of money. 36/40 cu you can use 80%+, a 40/40, maybe 10%. A gpu maker can just use those chips in lower tier products, like 5700 vs 5700xt.

clock speed also filters chips. Each one will have different charateristics, that is why overclockers talk about the silicon lottery. If you are looking to only have chips that can operate at the maximum speed, you will be chucking alot of them out.

tldr; a 40/40 cu chip running at 2.0 or more would be stupid expensive for a console manufacturer, and very wasteful. You might 1 or 2% per wafer vs 80+ with a 36/40 1.8. So yeah, a 40 cu gpu could very well be more expensive than a 56, in fact a lot more expensive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom