• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

They paid 19 millions for Devil May Cry 5 to be on GamePass for some months and that wasn't on day 1. This is a day 1 release from a 1st party game of the other console maker competitor, even if Sony is not the publisher. This must have costed them a fortune. Don't get it wrong they wouldn't make such efforts for any other sports game (No other sports game was a day1 before MLB ) but because this is a Sony 1st party game they wanted the headlines for this deal, you can see how the XBox fanboys on the net are loving it even though most of them don't care about baseball. Phil got his console warriors happy and in return him and his XBox goons are also happy since his ego gets shaped by their opinions, you keep interacting with Timdog and his likes and you are bound to be affected by it.

I’d estimate 500,000 sales predicted on Xbox - that’s $35,000,000 at $70 a pop. I’m guessing Sony (via MLB) will have gone in around $50 mil and maybe more. MS needed the content because they’re dry - so they’ll pay and hope mtx will recoup for them. Gamepass is a monster that will not stop wanting to be fed. As soon as new content dries up, it dies.

I think Sony are happy. I’m gonna guess they budget around $20 mil a year to produce an iteration of The Show - so they’ve cleared that and more from this and haven’t even released it yet. The question is will they see a decline in sales on PS as a result....?

It’s a wise enough business arrangement despite the forum noise I’d say.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sorry. Your information and yourself are really cool. Everyone respects you very much. But to be honest, I'm already tired of this endless talk about the bright future of the Xbox. We've heard all this for 5 years ... And I'm not exaggerating. Everyone is interested in the games that will be released on each of the consoles. And at the moment I do not see anything except Halo that may move the needle in the near future. Services and other improvements are good, but not what consoles are bought for at all times

No I get it no one is more tired of the whole next year is our year that Xbox has been saying for the last 5 years more then me.

And honestly I have way more money and over all interest invested into the Playstation Universe and in no way am I predicting doom and gloom for Playstation.

I am just getting this vibe Xbox is more in tune with what gamers are wanting and are making more gamer friendly moves even in the upcoming year.

Playstation will still have the games I prefer as I keep hearing this upcoming God of War is going to set a new bar for the PS5 (which I am expecting a delay announcement though I havent been told this)

And as far as bigger move the needle news I hear more coming out of the Xbox camp then I do PS.

In the end you will find me way more active on my PS5 then XSX though.

Dolodolo

No I get it no one is more tired of the whole next year is our year that Xbox has been saying for the last 5 years more then me.

And honestly I have way more money and over all interest invested into the Playstation Universe and in no way am I predicting doom and gloom for Playstation.

I am just getting this vibe Xbox is more in tune with what gamers are wanting and are making more gamer friendly moves even in the upcoming year.

Playstation will still have the games I prefer as I keep hearing this upcoming God of War is going to set a new bar for the PS5 (which I am expecting a delay announcement though I havent been told this)

And as far as bigger move the needle news I hear more coming out of the Xbox camp then I do PS.

Do you think that the new God of War will only be on the Ps5, without binding to the Ps4?
And Yes. I understand. Xbox makes a lot of great moves for the consumer. And at the moment, their long-term strategy is synergistic with the convenience of the customer, but I will buy this console only when it has something that can withstand Sony, besides Gears, Halo and Forza
. They've announced a lot of games that seem to be exactly what I want. But, the whole problem is that with the exception of CGi, we do not know anything about them, which is still(for me personally) questionable.

onesvenus

It's not 100% confirmation, for that we have to see the papers for the deal with our own eyes (lol), but all evidence point to that.

Remember, this is the same company that wasted 50 million dollars or more on just two streamers (Ninja and Shroud) on a failed platform for just some months and shortly after they closed it and these just two streamers went back to their Twitch with the pockets filled from Microsoft money. Microsoft and XBox are well known for throwing money just so they can find success, that's their shtick.
Yes, Microsoft, one of the highest-valued companies in the world is well known to throw money 🤦‍♂️

Mr.NiceGuy

Yes, Microsoft, one of the highest-valued companies in the world is well known to throw money 🤦‍♂️

Did I say the expression wrong? English is not my first language but I thought it was clear. Throwing money at the problem till it's fixed, buying success, loss leading till you make it...etc. You know what I mean.

Please don't till me what you see from XBox is not that?

Did I say the expression wrong? English is not my first language but I thought it was clear. Throwing money at the problem till it's fixed, buying success, loss leading till you make it...etc. You know what I mean.

You didn't say anything wrong.

Some users just seem to be compelled to blindly defend MS, even when they aren't even being attacked.

Neo Blaster

Once again we are in a period where marketing and public perception favor MS while Sony is shrouded in a mist of silence and 'bad news', just like the beginning of 2020. Wondering if we'll have to wait till June again for them to show the goods.

Last edited:
True.
Honestly,though, the PS5 and the Xbox Series consoles launched way too early, IMO.
The pandemic has screwed everything up manufacturing wise. Game development too. Not to mention there's currently a chip shortage going on, and if Sony and Microsoft decided to delay the manufacturing, they'd be shit out of luck securing production at TSMC. Consoles take years developing and working towards a release date. Unfortunately the bed they made also has Covid. I'm sure we'll see some cool stuff come June. Hopefully I'll own an LG C1 by then.

Last edited:
Once again we are in a period where marketing and public perception favor MS while Sony is shrouded in a mist of silence and 'bad news', just like the beginning of 2020. Wondering if we'll have to wait till June again for them to show the goods.
Last year Sony were extremely patient, much to the detriment of many including myself. If they were capable of that then surely this year they will adopt a similar "bleed Microsoft out" strategy. They'll wait for Microsoft to make their move and then Sony will respond with their cards, I'm certain their deck is very stacked.

Neo Blaster

The pandemic has screwed everything up manufacturing wise. Game development too. Not to mention there's currently a chip shortage going on, and if Sony and Microsoft decided to delay the manufacturing, they'd be shit out of luck securing production at TSMC. Consoles take years developing and working towards a release date. Unfortunately the bed they made also has Covid. I'm sure we'll see some cool stuff come June. Hopefully I'll own an LG C1 by then.
Every generation beginning we have people complaining about not having games to play, but this time the pandemic made it worse ten fold: games being delayed or not yet ready, and many who would just wait till there's a bigger lineup end up rushing to grab a console just because they're afraid of not getting one due to shortages, aggravating that perception.

looks like MS is using third parties to spread fud because they got caught with their pants down and no matter how many people scream how good a deal GP is, Sony still has mindshare. Reminds me of the time they were hyping Titanfall like it was the second coming yet they just sat in shelves and begging people to buy it. Atleast Titanfall had E3 shills calling it the best game ever. What do they have now or talked about the past few months? The Medium? finally getting a taste of MLB? thats them having positive public perception?

Xbox media and forum narrative has been going on for years on end. Hopefully it actually materializes into something other that forum talk because Sony needs competition badly atm.
I wonder if they knew beforehand there would be a sort of performance deficit that's why they pushed the power narrative early or they genuinely were caught by surprise. I find their marketing strategy so unusual pushing that officially and unofficially but literally had nothing to show, and just did the last minute change of BC BC Game pass to buy time till they have something bigger to show.

Every generation beginning we have people complaining about not having games to play, but this time the pandemic made it worse ten fold: games being delayed or not yet ready, and many who would just wait till there's a bigger lineup end up rushing to grab a console just because they're afraid of not getting one due to shortages, aggravating that perception.
True. Same story every generation. Still weighing in my mind which console to get once they become readily available. Maybe just PS5 and PC combo. I feel too old to care how long this new generation takes to heat up (I'm 35). With everything going on I'm chill enough to wait for the good stuff.

looks like MS is using third parties to spread fud because they got caught with their pants down and no matter how many people scream how good a deal GP is, Sony still has mindshare. Reminds me of the time they were hyping Titanfall like it was the second coming yet they just sat in shelves and begging people to buy it. Atleast Titanfall had E3 shills calling it the best game ever. What do they have now or talked about the past few months? The Medium? finally getting a taste of MLB? thats them having positive public perception?
Titanfall was fantastic and didn't sell well because people suck not because the game was bad.

Titanfall was fantastic and didn't sell well because people suck not because the game was bad.
I remember the E3 hype surrounding Titanfall and marketing push that followed it. If you were talking about Titanfall 2 which was great then I am with you, it was criminal how EA just pooped that one out and let it die. The original one though? It felt like an early access game to the real game T2, which the market responded in kind.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

That’s very exciting to hear. I’m a huge God of War fan. I know you probably can’t share too much but, is there anything else you heard about the new GOW you can share without compromising your source? I too believe GOW Ragnarok and Horizon Forbidden West will get delayed eventually. Just like Gran Turismo did. Well at least we still have the new Ratchet & Clank to look forward to. Thank you 🙏

I know u can buy games on xbox

but most people will not find the incentive to buy a game they played on gamepass

and it is not about buying each game for 70 dollars this only for games I want day one

but most games I wait until sales and most of games on playstation go on sale fast and regularly

I do not have to buy each game on release day

and I do not have to have 100 games plus to play to be happy
How would you know what would incentivize someone to buy a game available on Game pass? You don't use or have the service do you? I bought Octopath because I knew it would not likely be on the service forever and while it is on the service I get a discount. There is no downside. It is not an either or proposition you can buy what you want and you and play what is available. $70 only option does not seem like a superior path.

I remember the E3 hype surrounding Titanfall and marketing push that followed it. If you were talking about Titanfall 2 which was great then I am with you, it was criminal how EA just pooped that one out and let it die. The original one though? It felt like an early access game to the real game T2, which the market responded in kind.
Titanfall 1 was fantastic all around. Everything about it was great. Sales figures show popularity and not whether or not something is good.

Titanfall 1 was fantastic all around. Everything about it was great. Sales figures show popularity and not whether or not something is good.
Like I said, nobody is denying the quality of the mechanics and the universe they created. What people were disappointed with is it was hyped to be the second coming of Halo made by the people who made MW2. The expectations and hype didn't meet the product that was delivered. If it had the SP component of TF2 with the MP only part of TF1, then maybe things would have been different and it would've gotten the sales and recognition it deserved.

Last edited:

onesvenus

That's what every company does when they want to enter a market, spend until they are successful. It's true that not a lot of companies have the money Microsoft has but I think it's unfair.
For one we don't know the numbers of the Xbox division.

Zoro7

Banned
That's what every company does when they want to enter a market, spend until they are successful. It's true that not a lot of companies have the money Microsoft has but I think it's unfair.
For one we don't know the numbers of the Xbox division.
Please do tell when Microsoft entered the console market? The reason Microsoft is spending so much now is because they completely fucked up last gen. So now they are trying to buy their way to number 1.

Like I said, nobody is denying the quality of the mechanics and the universe they created. What people were disappointed with is it was hyped to be the second coming of Halo made by the people who made MW2. The expectations and hype didn't meet the product that was delivered. If it had the SP component of TF2 with the MP only part of TF1, then maybe things would have been different and it would've gotten the sales and recognition it deserved.
100% disagree. The game met the hype. There was a lot of bad press around the game but none of it really had to do with gameplay. 10/10 game for me.

SSfox

Indeed, Microsoft has a disproportionate amount of funds, which makes it nigh impossible for any other company to enter the market once they take it over.
It is unfair indeed.

And if you really think about it, a real danger.

But let's focus on short term instead, that's wiser.
That's the thing with Micro$oft, all that money and never been able to do 5% as good as Sony or even Nintendo.

Last edited:
You realise the PS3 caught up to the 360 in sales and might even have surpassed them. Even though it had a horrendous start. That shows how well Sony did in the latter parts of that generation.

And??? Who care about the fact that the PS3 has caught and surpassed the 360, was just answering about "That's the thing with Micro$oft, all that money and never been able to do 5% as good as Sony or even Nintendo."
Just showing that's totally wrong and stupid, 360 and PS3 finished with similar total sales, and the 360 results was more impressive knowing how Sony destroyed everyone the gen before with the PS2.

Zoro7

Banned
And??? Who care about the fact that the PS3 has caught and surpassed the 360, was just answering about "That's the thing with Micro$oft, all that money and never been able to do 5% as good as Sony or even Nintendo."
Just showing that's totally wrong and stupid, 360 and PS3 finished with similar total sales, and the 360 results was more impressive knowing how Sony destroyed everyone the gen before with the PS2.
Well you see releasing a year before your competition and for a cheaper price gives you that advantage. They then threw away the advantage they had. Please be quiet because you’re talking nonsense.

johnjohn

Well you see releasing a year before your competition and for a cheaper price gives you that advantage. They then threw away the advantage they had. Please be quiet because you’re talking nonsense.
So you agree that Microsoft has done much better than only 5% as good as Sony and Nintendo.

Nonsense, explaining that he is wrong saying that MS never been able to do 5% as Sony or Nintendo with a good example?
The facts are that MS with the 360 was near to beat the previous market leader during this period (And speaking about the fact it was launch one year before, who cares seriously ????), and that's clearly showing that I was right when I was answering him.
Saying the contrary as you are doing is just showing that you're simply a silly blind fanboy.

Last edited:

Zoro7

Banned
Nonsense, saying that he is wrong saying that MS never been able to do 5% as Sony or Nintendo with a good example?
The facts are that MS with the 360 was near to beat the previous market leader during this period (And speaking about the fact it was launch one year before, who cares seriously ????), and that's clearly showing that I am right when I was answering him.
Saying the contrary just showing that you're simply a silly blind fanboy.
Why is this 5% bullshit going around? I never said that. My point is Microsoft did poorly the second half of that generation to lose such a huge lead. Again stop talking nonsense.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
You realise the PS3 caught up to the 360 in sales and might even have surpassed them. Even though it had a horrendous start. That shows how well Sony did in the latter parts of that generation.

While so many focus on the horrible messaging and launch marketing of the XBO, this is one of the reasons why last gen played out the way it did. Going all in on Kinect was not the right call. Last few years of the 360 had mainly Kinect games. Last few years of the PS3 had possible and eventual GotY games, core games.

MS: heavy Kinect focus, few core games
Sony: few Move games, heavy focus on core games.

PS3 launched a year later and started out way more expensive....to be tied or have a slight lead shows how much MS dropped the ball later in that gen.

MS will figure it out one day.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Nonsense, explaining that he is wrong saying that MS never been able to do 5% as Sony or Nintendo with a good example?
The facts are that MS with the 360 was near to beat the previous market leader during this period (And speaking about the fact it was launch one year before, who cares seriously ????), and that's clearly showing that I was right when I was answering him.
Saying the contrary as you are doing is just showing that you're simply a silly blind fanboy.
What about that year of a head start?

Obviously 5% is hyperbole, but yeah, in the ps360 gen, MS ended up 3rd in sales when all was said and done behind the PS3 worldwide (and 1 year more in the market than sony) but also behind the Wii.
Many mistakes were done that gen by all 1st parties, but the rrod is one gamers will never forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom