• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is this 5% bullshit going around? I never said that. My point is Microsoft did poorly the second half of that generation to lose such a huge lead. Again stop talking nonsense.

I never said that it was you who has written that! My first message was simply to answer SSfox message and just say that during PS360 period, MS was clearly doing better than this 5% coming from nothing.
And clearly, I agree with you, MS has destroyed the last years of the 360 (and has continued with really bad choices with the X1, reason I didn't buy one).
Sorry for the "silly blinded fanboy", I didn't understand why you answered me with these messages in fact.

Obviously 5% is hyperbole, but yeah, in the ps360 gen, MS ended up 3rd in sales when all was said and done behind the PS3 worldwide (and 1 year more in the market than sony) but also behind the Wii.
Many mistakes were done that gen by all 1st parties, but the rrod is one gamers will never forget.

In fact, I agree with that. I just disagree when for many people, MS is only doing shit. With 360, I really think that MS has started to do really interesting things and choices. But killed that during the last years.
It remained impressive after having the PS2 killing everyone the gen before.
For the rrod, I have indeed encountered it with my 360 from day one, but also had the ylod with my ps3 fat so for me it was a tie haha 😁

FrankWza

In fact, I agree with that. I just disagree when for many people, MS is only doing shit. With 360, I really think that MS has started to do really interesting things and choices. But killed that during the last years.
It remained impressive after having the PS2 killing everyone the gen before.
For the rrod, I have indeed encountered it with my 360 from day one, but also had the ylod with my ps3 fat so for me it was a tie haha 😁
Theyre practically going to be giving away new release games. you don’t do that from a position of dominance or parity. You do that when there’s a huge gulf that you need to close.

Titanfall was fantastic and didn't sell well because people suck not because the game was bad.
The game was legit fantastic, but it failed commercially due to the lack of perceived consumer value as a $60 MP-only game in a world where COD offers SP + MP + Co-op + a bajillion other modes.

It was a harder sell on a far less appealing platform (i.e. XB1).

mFWYsGp.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

So the top played games by PS5 gamers are basically all shooters (6 of top 10). Then you got the usual FIFA, GTA 5 and Minecraft up there too. I'm surprised Rocket League is this high at 8th. Has much better lasting appeal than I thought.

New PS5 releases
Demons Soul - 12th
Spidey MM - 19th
Astro - 30th
Sackboy - Not in top 50
Destruction All Stars - Not in top 50 (97th as per summary)
Godfall - Not in top 50

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Last year Sony were extremely patient, much to the detriment of many including myself. If they were capable of that then surely this year they will adopt a similar "bleed Microsoft out" strategy. They'll wait for Microsoft to make their move and then Sony will respond with their cards, I'm certain their deck is very stacked.
yes, but expecting Microsoft to fail every year is not a strategy. it's like hoping for a miracle. thats no way to run a business.

it worked for them last year because Microsoft wasnt ready for launch and fucked up both of their conferences by overpromising and underdelivering. not to mention managing to somehow fuck up Halo. Is Jim Ryan hoping they will have another bad conference this year? another bad Halo showing? more CGi trailers?

Besides, Microsoft went out and bought zenimax. they didnt just buy bethesda, they bought the airline. whats been sony's response? nothing. they have done nothing except for dismantling their legacy, their studios, and made a good half a dozen anti-consumer moves. i'd say it's sony who is bleeding and MS instead of just watching sony bleed keep stabbing them as they bleed. its ruthless and kinda cool to see, tbh.

We are sitting here holding our dicks waiting for sony's e3 conference, and yet we are forgetting that MS is sitting on 24 studios worth of shit. Microsoft's deck is even more stacked than sony's. star citizen, elder scrolls, maybe the new fallout, halo infinite, all the cgi trailers from last year should have demos now which means fable, perfect dark, avowed, hellblade, forza, and everwild will be going up against horizon, gow, gt7, tlou factions and maybe a new sony IP. three of those games are likely cross gen (horizon, gow, factions) vs only one by microsoft. i dont think thats a bad lineup from sony, but i dont think they will kill microsoft like they did last year because last year's microsoft wasn't ready. they are this year and their bleeding out microsoft strategy is simply not going to work.

it is already blowing up in their face with the fanbase turning against them way more than they did last year when i was virtually the only one ringing the alarm bells annoying everyone here on gaf and getting banned left and right on era. I sense far more people are on my side this year than they were last year. they cant just do one mediocre conference in june and do a 40 minute state of play in september and think it will be enough.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
yes, but expecting Microsoft to fail every year is not a strategy. it's like hoping for a miracle. thats no way to run a business.

it worked for them last year because Microsoft wasnt ready for launch and fucked up both of their conferences by overpromising and underdelivering. not to mention managing to somehow fuck up Halo. Is Jim Ryan hoping they will have another bad conference this year? another bad Halo showing? more CGi trailers?

Besides, Microsoft went out and bought zenimax. they didnt just buy bethesda, they bought the airline. whats been sony's response? nothing. they have done nothing except for dismantling their legacy, their studios, and made a good half a dozen anti-consumer moves. i'd say it's sony who is bleeding and MS instead of just watching sony bleed keep stabbing them as they bleed. its ruthless and kinda cool to see, tbh.

We are sitting here holding our dicks waiting for sony's e3 conference, and yet we are forgetting that MS is sitting on 24 studios worth of shit. Microsoft's deck is even more stacked than sony's. star citizen, elder scrolls, maybe the new fallout, halo infinite, all the cgi trailers from last year should have demos now which means fable, perfect dark, avowed, hellblade, forza, and everwild will be going up against horizon, gow, gt7, tlou factions and maybe a new sony IP. three of those games are likely cross gen (horizon, gow, factions) vs only one by microsoft. i dont think thats a bad lineup from sony, but i dont think they will kill microsoft like they did last year because last year's microsoft wasn't ready. they are this year and their bleeding out microsoft strategy is simply not going to work.

it is already blowing up in their face with the fanbase turning against them way more than they did last year when i was virtually the only one ringing the alarm bells annoying everyone here on gaf and getting banned left and right on era. I sense far more people are on my side this year than they were last year. they cant just do one mediocre conference in june and do a 40 minute state of play in september and think it will be enough.
True.

MS recently is totally different than MS in around that 2011-2016. That era was:

- Kinect

- Xbox One. Weak system with Kinect 2 focus for the first year. Motion moving games including Wii, Kinect and PS Move had already tanked and MS still gunned with Kinect 2. It was probably one of those things where it was too late to turn back as Xbox One was planned in development to have Kinect 2 while motion moving was still going great

- Hardly any new studios. Key first party games are Halo, Gears, Fable, Forza

- Had a feeling of corporate being cheap on Xbox resources. A bunch of studios were even canned, so the overall studios for a time started to go down.

By the time they started turning things around with more open ended OS, Xbox One X and scooping up studios, it was already too late. That generation was ending so there's no point forcing a last ditch push in 2018 or 2019 when next gen was starting soon. Who knows if this is true, but some people think PS5 and Series X could had even been 2019 launches, but chip delays or whatever made them 2020.

Who knows the exact timing, but at some point maybe around 5 years ago(?), MS gave the Xbox division the green light for Series X, studio purchases, gamepass deals, lots of BC and boosting, and the Xbox OS is smooth with a lot of options. It's like the bean counters in finance doubled their budget and allowed them the resources to go hog wild instead of Xbox One OG where it was trying to squeak by with a weak system with a focus on HDMI In for cable tv and Kinect 2.

Last edited:
100% disagree. The game met the hype. There was a lot of bad press around the game but none of it really had to do with gameplay. 10/10 game for me.
Glad you enjoyed it and were satisfied, everyone is entitled to their opinions. If it met the hype for you, that is totally valid. But it did not meet the hype/expectations of EA and of MS, and didnt help the XboxOne at the time. People forget that the hype train for Titanfall was with MS coming off good public perception of the 360 and kinda bungled PS3. It was the first big exclusive of the Xone and MS fans during that time. What ended up happening? rows and rows of unsold Titanfall Xone bundles.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Dude bomba'd himself.
Ooff Ouffff GIF by memecandy
WTF did he say? Oh never mind...I can find it in the ban thread, right? Sucks. Amazing how prevalent antisemitism is though. I don't see anyone posting things about black or asian or indians online...maybe VERY rarely but on other sites and news articles, I almost always find something antisemitic in comments or thread.

ToadMan

March has come and go and I knew there wouldn't be a PS5 update like foxygames said. Nobody should be linking that clown's stuff. Fakeass wannabe insider.

There aren’t any reliable insiders right now are there?

At best the things they get right could be guessed at anyway, so their hit rate is about as good as any of us.

Not to mention the “big news” items that totally get missed. Not one insider predicted the zenimax deal for example, but they were all busy talking up a Silent Hill remake and Sega deals and unannounced exclusives being released next week and blah blah.

So yeah - I personally don’t take notice of any of their stuff. Well that’s not quite true - if an insider or someone with a source says something, I assume they’re wrong and that piece of information should be considered as something that is definitely not right ...

Last edited:
There aren’t any reliable insiders right now are there?

At best the things they get right could be guessed at anyway, so their hit rate is about as good as any of us.

Not to mention the “big news” items that totally get missed. Not one insider predicted the zenimax deal for example, but they were all busy talking up a Silent Hill remake and Sega deals and unannounced exclusives being released next week and blah blah.

So yeah - I personally don’t take notice of any of their stuff. Well that’s not quite true - if an insider or someone with a source says something, I assume they’re wrong and that piece of information should be considered as something that is definitely not right ...
The amount of reliable Sony insiders you could count with one hand or less. Outside of Heisenberg, that’s it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So the top played games by PS5 gamers are basically all shooters (6 of top 10). Then you got the usual FIFA, GTA 5 and Minecraft up there too. I'm surprised Rocket League is this high at 8th. Has much better lasting appeal than I thought.

New PS5 releases
Demons Soul - 12th
Spidey MM - 19th
Astro - 30th
Sackboy - Not in top 50
Destruction All Stars - Not in top 50 (97th as per summary)
Godfall - Not in top 50
I mean majority of players of both consoles, doesn't really give a fuck about what is exlusive/good on their platform. Even some massive seller like GoW2018 was sold to like 1/5 of install base. This is why Sony should have some shooter. You know Killzone, shit was good.

I mean majority of players of both consoles, doesn't really give a fuck about what is exlusive/good on their platform. Even some massive seller like GoW2018 was sold to like 1/5 of install base. This is why Sony should have some shooter. You know Killzone, shit was good.
There are plenty of multiplat shooters to choose from but not quality games like GoW2018.

Danlord

My Mrs is currently playing through Ratchet & Clank for like the 5th or 6th time (started again since I didn't transfer save over from PS4) but she knows this game inside out, she's massively enjoying it and the 60FPS makes a huge difference, it just looks incredible.

I do think I'm becoming a 60FPS snob now. After playing Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, R&C and few others in 60FPS, going back to 30FPS is becoming quite difficult. Let's hope it becomes more established to have Performance Mode options for all future games.

My Mrs is currently playing through Ratchet & Clank for like the 5th or 6th time (started again since I didn't transfer save over from PS4) but she knows this game inside out, she's massively enjoying it and the 60FPS makes a huge difference, it just looks incredible.

I do think I'm becoming a 60FPS snob now. After playing Ghost of Tsushima, God of War, R&C and few others in 60FPS, going back to 30FPS is becoming quite difficult. Let's hope it becomes more established to have Performance Mode options for all future games.
One of the main reasons why 60 FPS didn't become the standard was because of hardware limitations of the previous consoles. Hopefully that'll change now.

It can also be due to artistic reasons, since 30 FPS does have the more "cinematic" look it work well with some games.

Danlord

One of the main reasons why 60 FPS didn't become the standard was because of hardware limitations of the previous consoles. Hopefully that'll change now.

It can also be due to artistic reasons, since 30 FPS does have the more "cinematic" look it work well with some games.
Absolutely.

For the past few generations of consoles, there has always been some form of limiting factor, and whilst I'm not saying the current hardware is infinite in its resources, it's the first time a generation of consoles hasn't had one (or more) aspects be a hindrance than in previous generations.

PS3 had good CPU, bad memory and bad GPU with BD streaming/HDD mix streaming
PS4 had bad CPU, good memory and good GPU with HDD streaming
PS5 has good CPU, good memory, good GPU and SSD streaming.

It's the only time that not one aspect of the console can hold back one thing or another to the extent that previous generations has done in the past and I'm here for it.

It's now up to the developers to restructure their development pipeline to accommodate this and hopefully the prevalence of 60FPS modes we're seeing in some third-party games already is telling, but we'll see once we go native PS5/XSX generation whether this holds true for games that aren't heavily cross-platform or originally spec'd for PS4/XBO generation.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The DF video actually mentions an insomniac developer pointing out why they stopped making 60 fps games after Ratchet Crack in Time. Their research shows no one gives a shit about 60 fps games, at least when it comes at the expense of visuals. 60 fps just isnt a very marketable thing. Now, that was almost 11 years ago so things might have changed since, but looking at how Guerrilla Games and Insomnaic targeted 30 fps for Horizon and Ratchet, it seems their mentality is still the same.

I think multiplayer focused devs like DICE and Infinity Ward will still focus on 60 fps, but the other devs who make cinematic games wont bother. We might get a 1080p 60 fps mode like we did for some games on the Pro. Bluepoint did make 60 fps the default mode so who knows. Maybe times are changing.

It's now up to the developers to restructure their development pipeline to accommodate this and hopefully the prevalence of 60FPS modes we're seeing in some third-party games already is telling, but we'll see once we go native PS5/XSX generation whether this holds true for games that aren't heavily cross-platform or originally spec'd for PS4/XBO generation.
Yes exactly.

One of the biggest gains the next-gen consoles will have are the SSD's, I think their use and implementation will actually affect the development pipeline, one of the main reasons being is that developers will not have to waste time and resources deveoping around the mechanical HDD. Studios even have small teams dedicated to problem solving the streaming, making sure every thing is loaded in on time and this has a huge effect on the game design, an excellent example is the long boat rides in God of War.

As Mark Cerny said it's just one big distraction for a team that just wants to make a game.

Another huge gain for the next-gen consoles is how graphics workloads are being handled, the use of Primitive and Mesh Shaders will allow for extreme levels of efficiency in the graphics pipeline, especially when it comes to rendering triangles and polygons. They allow for much higher utilisation of the GPU but thanks to the high level of programmability they allow, the GPU won't be processing unnecessary workloads as was the case with the previous generations. If programmed correctly, the gains in performance but also visual fidelity will be HUGE and this level of programmability will be vital in games targeting 60 FPS or more.

The future is bright.

The DF video actually mentions an insomniac developer pointing out why they stopped making 60 fps games after Ratchet Crack in Time. Their research shows no one gives a shit about 60 fps games, at least when it comes at the expense of visuals. 60 fps just isnt a very marketable thing. Now, that was almost 11 years ago so things might have changed since, but looking at how Guerrilla Games and Insomnaic targeted 30 fps for Horizon and Ratchet, it seems their mentality is still the same.

I think multiplayer focused devs like DICE and Infinity Ward will still focus on 60 fps, but the other devs who make cinematic games wont bother. We might get a 1080p 60 fps mode like we did for some games on the Pro. Bluepoint did make 60 fps the default mode so who knows. Maybe times are changing.
I'm sort of with DF on this one, I think the hardware limitations of the previous generation consoles played a role in Insomniac and many other developers choosing not to target 60 FPS. They could still have targeted high frame rates but it would have been inconsistent. It would have made sense for them to have a larger frame budget in which they could more have more fidelity and particle effects and such.

We also can't deny the influence PC gaming is having, especially in recent years. From what I perceive, many PC gamers prefer 60 FPS over things like visual fidelity and that preference is leaking into the console gaming space as well.

You said it yourself, we're beginning to see a lot of 60 FPS titles and Insomniac are going out their way to add 60 FPS patches to previous gen games, almost like they were waiting for the opportunity. But it's too early to say, we know the next Ratchet and Clank will have a 60 FPS mode and Demon Souls already did.

I think it will all come down to developer preference.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Um .... I’m afraid he’s no better than those others. Sorry. If he has better info, it’s not being shared here.

Its just not worth sharing anything that MIGHT be in the pipeline.

I know many do appreciate it but too many just send PMs saying just horrible shit even going so far as to add me on XBL or PSN (Those are not my main accounts anyhow) then blow up my messages there telling me to kill myself and shit just because I may not talk favorable about their plastic box.

I 100% do not mind talking to people via PMs here or in Twitter or the game platforms in a civil matter just not hate filled PMs.

All that said I think we see the effects COVID had on games even more so this year

LiquidRex

SlimySnake

I'm sort of with DF on this one, I think the hardware limitations of the previous generation consoles played a role in Insomniac and many other developers choosing not to target 60 FPS. They could still have targeted high frame rates but it would have been inconsistent. It would have made sense for them to have a larger frame budget in which they could more have more fidelity and particle effects and such.

We also can't deny the influence PC gaming is having, especially in recent years. From what I perceive, many PC gamers prefer 60 FPS over things like visual fidelity and that preference is leaking into the console gaming space as well.

You said it yourself, we're beginning to see a lot of 60 FPS titles and Insomniac are going out their way to add 60 FPS patches to previous gen games, almost like they were waiting for the opportunity. But it's too early to say, we know the next Ratchet and Clank will have a 60 FPS mode and Demon Souls already did.

I think it will all come down to developer preference.
Well, i hope devs stick to 1440p 30 fps like the UE5 demo. As good as Demon Souls looks, I think next gen games could look a lot better if they make games for the 30 fps frame budget.

I wouldnt mind 1080p 60 fps modes with downgraded graphics tbh.

ToadMan

Its just not worth sharing anything that MIGHT be in the pipeline.

I know many do appreciate it but too many just send PMs saying just horrible shit even going so far as to add me on XBL or PSN (Those are not my main accounts anyhow) then blow up my messages there telling me to kill myself and shit just because I may not talk favorable about their plastic box.

I 100% do not mind talking to people via PMs here or in Twitter or the game platforms in a civil matter just not hate filled PMs.

All that said I think we see the effects COVID had on games even more so this year

I think everyone understands not everything can be shared - but what gets shared is so vague it either builds hype to unsustainable levels or creates spin off rumors.

Back around the console gameplay reveals last June/July it was getting ridiculous - not to mention the teraflop rumors before Road to PS5. No one has gone back and pointed out the clearly widely inaccurate insider data from that time.

Back around the console gameplay reveals last June/July it was getting ridiculous - not to mention the teraflop rumors before Road to PS5.
Don't remind me about that nightmare.
Well, i hope devs stick to 1440p 30 fps like the UE5 demo. As good as Demon Souls looks, I think next gen games could look a lot better if they make games for the 30 fps frame budget.

I wouldnt mind 1080p 60 fps modes with downgraded graphics tbh.
Well that UE5 demo according to Epic can now be rendered in 60 FPS.

On top of that, that demo was designed to push an insane number of polygons/triangles and there was large amounts of culling which was also taking place. No first party game would use that many triangles/polygons because of both storage and performance bottlenecks. Epic could have easily reduced the polygon count by 10% and increase the performance significantly and the fidelity would not be compromised at all unless you put it under heavy zoom.

ethomaz

Banned

dp9RnnE.jpg

All the same year. 👍
It is know already... the final silicon for all these consoles were finalized in Q2 2019.
It just that wait for RDNA 2.0 is used as excuse for one side.

That makes the GitHub leak so old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom