• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
This is where i'm at. I understand the reasoning behind the game price increase (less so, as in the UK game prices have been increasing every gen since the PS1). Now I've moved to Canada, the idea of spending so much on a game that isn't a top tier block buster is just a non-starter.

TBF, I buy most of my games 4 to 6 months post-release when they're discounted. And I don't think I'll have much problem doing the same again this coming gen.

I honestly think that Returnal with no MP at $70 is too much. This could easily be a wonderful 2-8 player coop/raid MP that would justify that game price.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Charming! Everyone got me on ignore or something?! I've had posted a few video links to Returnal before and nobody batted an eyelid but when bigshot Bo posts it becomes the hot topic. That cuts guys, that cuts real deep ... just messing :lollipop_squint_tongue: ... but now I know how much I'm worth here :messenger_poop:

/s

d863gzq-71e41b18-1df5-4d2b-b09b-b1d20179f67e.gif

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

God Of War: Ragnarok Voted Most Anticipated Release Of 2021, According To IMDB Poll

Hosted by IMDB, the poll pitted 35 upcoming games against one another and left if up to the public to declare a winner. Now that the results are in, we can see that the next instalment in Kratos’ saga topped the poll with a whopping 320 votes. To put this into perspective, Horizon: Forbidden Westcame in second place with 180 votes, while Far Cry 6 held third place with 106. Other titles that were in the running included Hogwarts Legacy, Gotham Knights, and The Lord of the Rings: Gollum - all of which made it into the top ten.

LiquidRex

Not sure if this has been shared...but anyway for those that haven't heard it, listen from 1hr 38 mins in. (MLID talking to a senior software engineer)

RGT channel (which in my opinion is the best channel out there and should have far more recognition than it currently has) has already stated months ago that the PS5 has features that will either be in RDNA 3 or at least influence it. 👍 🔥

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Polite, but clear that his game was built for XSS specs

I read it all

Dude... the game is cross-gen; the game was built for PS4/Xbox One specs. Meaning less than the 7.5GB of RAM available on XSS.

I'm getting a laugh at you continuously accusing me of not reading things.

Why are you even going on and on about the XSS? I didn't defend the XSS; it sucks... and I wish it didn't exist.

edit:
In fact, take a gander at the minimum PC specs for this game:

0G1gyRU.png

(those GFX cards are ~1GB)

It's.. a tower defense game.. it only requires 4GB of DISK SPACE lol.. so did his last game before that. This guy makes dinky indie games that run on ancient computers.

We can say the XSX sucks w/o parading around some indie dev's comments like they are gospel.

Or.. continue to do it.. and I'll continue to think it makes you guys look foolish.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Dude... the game is cross-gen; the game was built for PS4/Xbox One specs. Meaning less than the 7.5GB of RAM available on XSS.

“Next generation features limited by the XSS RAM setup” even in the title of the article itself, again beside you being in both threads standing up for the XSS existing and how it makes sense in both threads (the one about the article too) I am not sure why you are going on about the XSS yourself if it sucks snd you wish it did not exist.

We understand why it makes sense for MS and the more explaining why you believe that the less it makes sense for users or developers (being a problem for users expecting 12 TFLOPS power from Xcloud well that is a place where you will not get 4K for a good while).
We can say the XSX sucks w/o parading around some indie dev's comments like they are gospel.
Who said that the XSX sucks? Sure it was a typo and I am being a bit cheeky, but no it is not just because of this dev (you are acting as if nobody in this thread or the other posted comments from other devs, two of them senior ones at Id btw) being treated as gospel.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

God Of War: Ragnarok Voted Most Anticipated Release Of 2021, According To IMDB Poll

We need an upcoming games official thread
Seriously outside of GOW:R & Horizon 2 which have no dates I have no clue what's being released in the next 4-5 month's
Far as I'm aware theres nothing!
Which looks really bad

Why are you even going on and on about the XSS? I didn't defend the XSS; it sucks... and I wish it didn't exist.

edit:
In fact, take a gander at the minimum PC specs for this game:

0G1gyRU.png

(those GFX cards are ~1GB)

It's.. a tower defense game.. it only requires 4GB of DISK SPACE lol.. so did his last game before that. This guy makes dinky indie games that run on ancient computers.

Or.. continue to do it.. and I'll continue to think it makes you guys look foolish.

You're right that the game was also built for PS4/Xbox. That said, his comments about XSS are about the next-gen version of the game. Which is why he speaks specifically about the challenges of fitting next-gen features in the RAM available on XSS.

Regardless of the previous gen version's existence, the next-gen version (which is clearly the intention of the XSS to be able to run) needs to be able to accommodate the hardware limitations of the XSS hardware. So the higher fidelity textures, or more advanced lighting data or higher poly mesh data etc etc all needs to fit in RAM. If it can't, then by definition, the dev needs to reduce the fidelity of those assets for the next-gen version of their game in order to accommodate XSS's hardware limitations... therefore by definition XSS is holding back the next-gen version of the game.

This is true in principle for every game with any next-gen advancements, so cross-gen, patched BC and next-gen exclusive games.

IntentionalPun

“Next generation features limited by the XSS RAM setup” even in the title of the article itself, again beside you being in both threads standing up for the XSS existing and how it makes sense in both threads (the one about the article too) I am not sure why you are going on about the XSS yourself if it sucks snd you wish it did not exist.

The title is trying to mislead you; not gonna continue this pointlessness though, you just aren't reading and responding to my actual posts, don't seem to understand basic stuff like "Game made for 4GB ram on PC is not limited by 8GB of RAM on XSS."

"stood up for the XSS existing"? No I didn't. I described why MS created it, while criticizing that strategy. Discussing a video game console, on a video game discussion forum.. lol

Who said that the XSX sucks? Sure it was a typo and I am being a bit cheeky, but no it is not just because of this dev (you are acting as if nobody in this thread or the other posted comments from other devs, two of them senior ones at Id btw) being treated as gospel.

I'm not acting like that at all

Seriously dude... respond to actual words said.. not words not said.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
The title is trying to mislead you; not gonna continue this pointlessness though, you just aren't reading and responding to my actual posts, don't seem to understand basic stuff like "Game made for 4GB ram on PC is not limited by 8GB of RAM on XSS."

The game was made 5GB of RAM.... 4GB system plus 1GB VRAM.

But even then, the settings will be lower than on XSS. And even then, the user has all the graphics settings available to tweak the game to get reasonable performance.

Given the above fact about graphics settings in the hands of the user on the PC side, it's clear that a game clearly isn't "designed" for minimum specs on the PC. Not even remotely.

The game's renderer will naturally scale up or down within a certain window of being able to provide a reasonable gaming experience. On PC these rendering settings are in the hands of the user. So devs don't need to care whether the game runs well or looks good running on minimum specs. It merely needs to be within the scaling window of reasonable performance.

On console, the hardware spec is fixed and the users doesn't have all the graphics options with which to tweak the game to run well on the hardware. Therefore, the game is fundamentally "designed" for the console hardware for an optimum gaming experience.

So it's a false equivalency to equate the minimum target spec on PC to the lowest common denominator fixed target hardware spec on consoles. The two approaches to development are totally different.

IntentionalPun

You're right that the game was also built for PS4/Xbox. That said, his comments about XSS are about the next-gen version of the game. Which is why he speaks specifically about the challenges of fitting next-gen features in the RAM available on XSS.

No, he talks about that because he was asked a general question about whether XSS will hold back the generation.

What he actually said about his game, which he apparently hasn't even tried on XSS, was "it doesn't look like it will require that much work."

Yes, the XSS requires additional optimization. While we were able to simply compile The Riftbreaker for the XSX and it "just works", the XSS requires additional optimization. Still, it doesn't look like it will require that much work to be running well at 1080p on the XSS. The best thing about the current architecture is that the CPU power on both Xbox models is practically the same.

Because.. again.. his game is a dinky little tower defense game that I could run on my decade old gaming laptop, that has twice as much RAM as this game needs, and a video card twice as good as the min PC spec.

The rest of his comment, was then answering the actual question he was asked:

Some developers have commented that the Xbox Series S could pose an issue due to its lower minimum specs compared to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5, particularly its memory. What do you think about that?

The "next gen version" of this game is not limited by the XSS.. the "next gen version" of this game is just the PC version compiled for XSX so far.. that he hasn't even optimized for XSS yet, but he said "it doesn't look it will require that much work."

But really; I'm over this.. XSS sucks.. this dev, has not developed for it apparently. And he was not commenting from experience, or about this game.

No offense.. but the rest of what you just said is just kind of nonsense. This guy has a game whose "settings" scale waaaay below XSS level. To "optimize" for XSS of course won't be difficult.. he'll just tweak some settings... and the dev agrees; OF COURSE it "doesn't look like it will be much work" for him to get it working on XSX. He could also very likely "just compile" the game for XSS too.. I seriously doubt there's a single graphical setting in this game that will be missing from XSS.

This game isn't even going to come close to actually pushing XSX hardware lol. Like... come on guys, did you bother to google this game?

Last edited:
No, he talks about that because he was asked a general question about whether XSS will hold back the generation.

What he actually said about his game, which he apparently hasn't even tried on XSS, was "it doesn't look like it will require that much work."

"Yes, the XSS requires additional optimization. While we were able to simply compile The Riftbreaker for the XSX and it "just works", the XSS requires additional optimization. Still, it doesn't look like it will require that much work to be running well at 1080p on the XSS. The best thing about the current architecture is that the CPU power on both Xbox models is practically the same."

Why are you conveniently ignoring this part, "While we were able to simply compile The Riftbreaker for the XSX and it "just works", the XSS requires additional optimization."

Sounds more like they're currently working on XSS optimization. I'm not sure where you're getting that they've haven't started at all.

it also seems like you're cherry-picking quotes out of context for form your own conclusions about what he's saying.

Because.. again.. his game is a dinky little tower defense game that I could run on my decade old gaming laptop, that has twice as much RAM as this game needs, and a video card twice as good as the min PC spec.

He's saying himself the game needs more optimization to run at 1080p on XSS. So no matter what you subjectively judge the game is doing on the outside by watching videos online, without a clear knowledge of what the game is doing under the hood you cannot speak with any authority.

I would expect the dev himself to know what his own game is doing and the level of performance the game demands.

Perhaps his game is poorly optimized full stop. Perhaps it isn't. Neither you or I can make any assessment of that, so best to stick with the information we do have, and these we derive from the developer's comments; not what we speculatively infer from them.

The "next gen version" of this game is not limited by the XSS.. the "next gen version" of this game is just the PC version compiled for XSX so far.. that he hasn't even optimized for XSS yet, but he said "it doesn't look it will require that much work."

How do you know? Do you work for his studio? Do you have any inside knowledge of the individual platform builds and asset/graphics settings they're using for each?

Sounds like you're just making a whole lot of assumptions based on the game not looking graphically impressive to you and pushing those as facts without any actual basis other than your own subjective opinion.

This guy has a game whose "settings" scale waaaay below XSS level. To "optimize" for XSS of course won't be difficult.. he'll just tweak some settings... and the dev agrees; OF COURSE it "doesn't look like it will be much work" for him to get it working on XSX. He could also very likely "just compile" the game for XSS too.. I seriously doubt there's a single graphical setting in this game that will be missing from XSS.

This game isn't even going to come close to actually pushing XSX hardware lol. Like... come on guys, did you bother to google this game?

I'm not even inclined to disagree with most of this, but I do acknowledge that since we're not the dev we have no idea. The devs comments as I see it paint a pretty clear picture. You can choose to ignore them simply because you don't think his game looks impressive or like it's testing the hardware, but that doesn't mean you're right, especially when you have no basis upon which to predicate those assumptions.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Dude.. you claim he "spoke specifically about the challenges" of the XSS version.. when the guy outright said "it doesn't look that hard" lol. And I'm getting that he hasn't started XSS optimization because of his use of future tense... it's how English works. "It doesn't look that hard" implies you haven't actually tried what you claim doesn't look hard..

Accusing me of "ignoring" what I quoted?

Seriously; you guys really suck man.. like.. show me some damn respect for actually reading the article, and explaining what was actually said. I've shown you guys the respect of bothering to even respond to you when you keep ignoring that I'm saying (and what the dev actually said), and re-repeating the same falsehoods of what wasn't said.

Last edited:
Dude.. you claim he "spoke specifically about the challenges" of the XSS version.. when the guy outright said "it doesn't look that hard" lol. And I'm getting that he hasn't started XSS optimization because of his use of future tense... it's how English works. "It doesn't look that hard" implies you haven't actually tried what you claim doesn't look hard..

I was paraphrasing, and that was referring to his general comment about XSS RAM defining the entire generation, not his comment with respect to his own game.

Accusing me of "ignoring" what I quoted?

Well you did.

Seriously; you guys really suck man.. like.. show me some damn respect for actually reading the article, and explaining what was actually said. I've shown you guys the respect of bothering to even respond to you when you keep ignoring that I'm saying, and re-repeating the same falsehoods of what wasn't said.

Pot calling kettle black.

You're clearly reading your own perspectives into the article and dev's quotes and this is evidenced by your insistence in presenting your own assumptions about the game and what it's doing under the hood as incontrovertible facts.

There's no need to play the victim now. None of us are even attacking you. I've simply pointed out what I perceive to be flaws in both your reasoning and your reading comprehension of the article and developer quotes, as well as the conclusions you draw from them.

Feel free to disagree and we can leave it there. It doesn't need to get any more ugly than that.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I was paraphrasing, and that was referring to his general comment about XSS RAM defining the entire generation, not his comment with respect to his own game.

you like 5 minutes ago said:
That said, his comments about XSS are about the next-gen version of the game.

Really not sure why I bother. This isn't even entertaining, you guys can't keep your story straight across 2 posts.

Where I'm from, that's incredibly rude.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

He was talking about in general from what I took from it and not about his game.
Having the Series S RAM as a baseline instead of the PS5/Series X 16GB will put a limit on things that don't scale as well as just lowering the res or something.
The dev? Yes; exactly what I've been saying. It should be rather obvious he's not talking about his game; since he literally had just said his game "doesn't look difficult" to scale to XSS. But even w/o him saying that.. that should be obvious, considering it's a dinky indie tower defense game lol

The game actually sounds fun too... 2 of my favorite time-waster genres.. tower defense and diablo-clones.

Last edited:
The dev? Yes; exactly what I've been saying. It should be rather obvious he's not talking about his game; since he literally had just said his game "doesn't look difficult" to scale to XSS. But even w/o him saying that.. that should be obvious, considering it's a dinky indie tower defense game lol

The game actually sounds fun too... 2 of my favorite time-waster genres.. tower defense and diablo-clones.
Eh?

So why have you been so focused all this while on the dev's own game?

And you accuse other's of not being able to keep their story straight. At this point I reckon you're trolling us.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
He was talking about in general from what I took from it and not about his game.
Having the Series S RAM as a baseline instead of the PS5/Series X 16GB will put a limit on things that don't scale as well as just lowering the res or something.
I would like to know how well the unreal engine 5 demo runs on the xss. If it runs at 1440p 30 fps on the ps5 then 900p should be doable on a 4 tflops xss.

But that's just the gpu scaling. We don't know if the ram stuff can scale down without any downgrades to the visual quality. I'm sure no one wants that demo to have cyberpunk's disastrous image quality on base consoles.

I'm sure no one wants that demo to have cyberpunk's disastrous image quality on base consoles.

I find it funny how many want to push this fallacious argument that PC minimum specs (as if that's not a arbitrary moving target) are the baseline for development and not the XSS, when in Cyberpunk's case the min specs on PC are higher than either the PS4 or XB1 base consoles provide.

It's a clear example of a game where PC minimum specs are set higher than the minimum console specs. And it's not the only, first or last example. Therefore, it's not difficult to consider that perhaps for next-gen games, PC minimum specs would be set higher then or equivalent to the lowest console hardware spec either. And this being XSS, means XSS sets the baseline for development.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I would like to know how well the unreal engine 5 demo runs on the xss. If it runs at 1440p 30 fps on the ps5 then 900p should be doable on a 4 tflops xss.

But that's just the gpu scaling. We don't know if the ram stuff can scale down without any downgrades to the visual quality. I'm sure no one wants that demo to have cyberpunk's disastrous image quality on base consoles.
It'll certainly downgrade; but that's at the core of UE5's tech.. you import massive models and the engine scales the "virtual geometry" to fit your needs. It can do the same for textures, and other features applied to the models (shadow-maps, light-maps.)

It'll be great to see it all in action, but probably won't be until 2022 I imagine.

But a dev can use film-scale models, 8k textures, and high-fidelity "maps" and then the engine itself dynamically scales everything for you.

edit: That being said, I highly doubt we'll see the actual demo running on anything but what we saw on PS5.

Last edited:

Not sure if this has been shared...but anyway for those that haven't heard it, listen from 1hr 38 mins in. (MLID talking to a senior software engineer)

RGT channel (which in my opinion is the best channel out there and should have far more recognition than it currently has) has already stated months ago that the PS5 has features that will either be in RDNA 3 or at least influence it. 👍 🔥

I'm mostly curious whether or not these GPU Cache Scrubbers are already being put to good use in these PS5 games already or if it's something that will require more time to optimize for future games.

They're definitely another feature that allows PS5 to punch above its weight

That UE5 demo was designed to showcase the absurd number of polygons it can push with the PS5, they could have easily dropped the polygon count by 10-15% to achieve 60 FPS and also retain the same visual quality.

IntentionalPun

That UE5 demo was designed to showcase the absurd number of polygons it can push with the PS5, they could have easily dropped the polygon count by 10-15% to achieve 60 FPS and also retain the same visual quality.
The beauty of UE5 is it isn't actually pushing those absurd numbers of polygons.

IntentionalPun

True, but culling so much polygons has a big impact on performance.
Not just culling though; the nanite tech automatically "converts" 100's of millions or billions of poly models into models with roughly 1-polygon per pixel. It's not fully understood yet (and TBH has confused me from the start) but looks like some bad-ass tech that's going to scale really well (and work particularly well on PS5 of course.)

The numbers of polygon's Epic was throwing around were for the "source models." The actual rendering is done w/o actually rendering anywhere close to the source polygons, without the dev having to make different sized models for different LODs. If the model is close to the player, it renders the virtual geometry with more polys, if it's farther away, with less.. somewhere close to the number of pixels the model is taking up on screen (and as it moves away from the player, less and less pixels/polys.)

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm mostly curious whether or not these GPU Cache Scrubbers are already being put to good use in these PS5 games already or if it's something that will require more time to optimize for future games.

They're definitely another feature that allows PS5 to punch above its weight
What does this newfound phrase even mean? Been seeing it repeated a lot this gen since a certain someone kept wepeating it.

If it’s doing what it’s doing, then it’s doing what it was designed to do.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What does this newfound phrase even mean? Been seeing it repeated a lot this gen since a certain someone kept wepeating it.

If it’s doing What it’s doing, then it’s doing what it was designed to do.

It's like saying a turbo makes a 4 cylinder engine embarrass V8's. So that I-4 is kicking above its weight.

On PS5 it's the GPU.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's like saying a turbo makes a 4 cylinder engine to embarrass V8's. So that I-4 is kicking above its weight.

On PS5 it's the GPU.
I know exactly what it means and why that certain someone keeps repeating it, it’s for the narrow scope (PR) stuck in the teraflop logic of TFs are the end all be all, when it’s not and has been shown as such from their desktop parts to this console part.

SSfox

Guys what do think are the best IA in this gen? Name just 3 max.

To me i'll say: MGSV, still the best IA of the generation to me. Then Monster Hunster World (the monsters IA), and then i'll say Ghost Of Tsushuma, Solo including Legends, sometimes in Legends it surprising in some situations when i would think mobs will go dumb like usually in most games, but not in GOT, i realize it's one of the best thing about this game.

I hope to see some great work on IA in this gen.

Last edited:

To me i'll say: MGSV, still the best IA of the generation to me. Then Monster Hunster World (the monsters IA), and then i'll say Ghost Of Tsushuma, Solo including Legends, sometimes in Legends it surprising in some situations when i would think mobs will go dumb like usually in most games, but not in GOT, i realize it's one of the best thing about this game.

What does IA mean exactly again?

MGS5 is technically the most impressive game running on PS4 / XB1. Even if the open world looks a bit empty, the systems (AI and such) are actually very impressive and the whole thing runs at 1080p locked 60fps on PS4. I'd put MHW second place too.

THEAP99

Banned
The medium is not a next gen game.

As you can see in this video, the unboxing for the game has the dualshock 4 and says (ps4 & xbox one).

Microsoft paid team bloober to make it look like this was a next gen exclusive game on Series X. Only possible on Series X. This is another polish game studio lying to the public. When will it stop?

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
The medium is not a next gen game.

As you can see in this video, the unboxing for the game has the dualshock 4 and says (ps4 & xbox one).

Microsoft paid team bloober to make it look like this was a next gen exclusive game on Series X. Only possible on Series X. This is another polish game studio lying to the public. When will it stop?

That’s just a controller from a 3rd party not official

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom