• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen two developers from halo join guerilla this past week:

One of them is working on Forbidden West, my guess is both of them are.

But former Halo employees? maybe they were hired because of long term potential, maybe HFW has some sort of online multiplayer or more likely Guerrilla is working on a multiplayer game.

But former Halo employees? maybe they were hired because of long term potential, maybe HFW has some sort of online multiplayer or more likely Guerrilla is working on a multiplayer game.

No reason it has to be either of those things.
Maybe these people are just talented in their field?
One of them has said they are joining the "creature Animation team" so nothing online or multiplayer there, and the other one has "Lighting (Atmospheric Artist)" in their Twitter bio so again no online or multiplayer there.

No reason it has to be either of those things.
Maybe these people are just talented in their field?
One of them has said they are joining the "creature Animation team" so nothing online or multiplayer there, and the other one has "Lighting (Atmospheric Artist)" in their Twitter bio so again no online or multiplayer there.
True, just interesting since both come from a studio which heavily focuses on multiplayer experiences.

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing.webp
Yes. I misspoke in my initial response. But the discussion was always about consoles... so goal posts weren't moved, i just kicked it too wide on my first attempt 😉😁

I actually hope that MS adds that feature so more third party games would use it.

I don't think it's wrong for them to do that. However it should have been the standard though. Making it a standard feature of the controller is just better than just adding it in later on.

But on a positive note the work that developers do with the Dualsense could be applied to an Xbox Sense controller.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I've seen two developers from halo join guerilla this past week:

Who cares, this constantly happens. devs go from team to team, job to job. We've known for a while Guerrilla is making a shooter.

For example, this was from 2013. one of hundreds of examples.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Sony-Bravia-XR-models-989x549.jpg

Variable refresh rate, 4K at 120Hz, ALLM, and eARC are standard across the line

Last year’s TV lineup from Sony took a bit of criticism since several sets were unable to take advantage of next-gen gaming features on the PlayStation 5 that shipped in November. Even if you look right now, the spread of HDMI 2.1 features is pretty sad. Sony never really acknowledged this as a mistake, believing that customers purchase its TVs for different reasons and not everyone needs every box checked off.

What a difference a year makes.

In 2021, Sony is correcting course: all of its premium “Bravia XR” 4K (and yes, 8K) TVs support 4K at 120Hz, VRR (variable refresh rate), ALLM (auto low latency mode), and eARC. No asterisks or gotchas or promises to add stuff later with firmware updates.

kyliethicc

Last year’s TV lineup from Sony took a bit of criticism since several sets were unable to take advantage of next-gen gaming features on the PlayStation 5 that shipped in November. Even if you look right now, the spread of HDMI 2.1 features is pretty sad. Sony never really acknowledged this as a mistake, believing that customers purchase its TVs for different reasons and not everyone needs every box checked off.

In 2021, Sony is correcting course: all of its premium “Bravia XR” 4K (and yes, 8K) TVs support 4K at 120Hz, VRR (variable refresh rate), ALLM (auto low latency mode), and eARC. No asterisks or gotchas or promises to add stuff later with firmware updates.

Great news!

ethomaz

Banned
Bryan never worked in Halo.
He was a student that create 3D models inspired by the Halo Universe... he basically tried to copy the art/design of old Halo games in his 3D projects.

Guerrilha can be his first real job in the industry.

The girl worked at Creative Assembly (Warhammer).

I mean I don't know where Halo come in place to be fair.

Last edited:

Gravemind

Bryan never worked in Halo.
He was a student that create 3D models inspired by the Halo Universe... he basically tried to copy the art/design of old Halo games in his 3D projects.

Guerrilha can be his first real job in the industry.

The girl worked at Creative Assembly (Warhammer).

I mean I don't know where Halo come in place to be fair.

Creative Assembly developed Halo Wars 2 alongside 343.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Who cares, this constantly happens. devs go from team to team, job to job. We've known for a while Guerrilla is making a shooter.

For example, this was from 2013. one of hundreds of examples.

Linked In shows Corrine Yu has been at 5 companies in the past 7 years. One of those job hoppers. It was a big gaming splash she left MS for ND. But when she left ND after only 1 yr to go to Amazon, everyone shut their mouths about it.

- Left MS in 2013
- ND 1 yr
- Amazon 3 yrs
- GM 8 months
- Facebook 2 yrs

kyliethicc

Linked In shows Corrine Yu has been at 5 companies in the past 7 years. One of those job hoppers. It was a big gaming splash she left MS for ND. But when she left ND after only 1 yr to go to Amazon, everyone shut their mouths about it.

- Left MS in 2013
- ND 1 yr
- Amazon 3 yrs
- GM 8 months
- Facebook 2 yrs
And this is totally normal. My point was who cares about a few devs going from 1 studio to another, it happens a lot.

A dev from Sony Santa Monica quit after God of War 2018 shipped, went to Sucker Punch and worked on Ghost of Tsushima, then after that shipped he announced he had left SP and gone back to work as Santa Monica studio. And 1000's of others do the same.

An animator left Naughty Dog after Uncharted 4, went to Rockstar, shipped Red Dead Redemption 2, left and went back to Sony. Etc etc.

Again, look at this random sound designer now at Naughty Dog and the various games he worked on.

CnOHtOi.jpg

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
And this is totally normal. My point was who cares about a few devs going from 1 studio to another, it happens a lot.

A dev from Sony Santa Monica quit after God of War 2018 shipped, went to Sucker Punch and worked on Ghost of Tsushima, then after that shipped he announced he had left SP and gone back to work as Santa Monica studio. And 1000's of others do the same.

An animator left Naughty Dog after Uncharted 4, went to Rockstar, shipped Red Dead Redemption 2, left and went back to Sony. Etc etc.

Again, look at this random sound designer now at Naughty Dog and the various games he worked on.

CnOHtOi.jpg
best way to earn raises in the U.S is by switching companies. even on a good year, you are looking at 5-7% raises, but if you switch companies, you can easily get 20-30% because companies are willing to pay more for outside talent for some reason.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Creative Assembly developed Halo Wars 2 alongside 343.

Came out in 2017; she was a "trainee animator" there during the last year of it's development.

For a farmed out non-main Halo title lol, with no actual evidence she even worked on the game.

TheApp is full of shit.

This too.

Still hilarious TheApp is just making shit up.

Last edited:

This relationship between Sony and Epic should deliver good results for PS5.

Maybe we will see a more optimized Unreal Engine 5 for PS5 with a good API for all new PS5 features like Geometry Engine.

And of course, many third-party games are writen in Unreal Engine. It's true that Sony's first-party studios has their own engines, but the third-party studios could make use of good PS5 resources in Unreal Engine 5.

kyliethicc

best way to earn raises in the U.S is by switching companies. even on a good year, you are looking at 5-7% raises, but if you switch companies, you can easily get 20-30% because companies are willing to pay more for outside talent for some reason.
exactly. they bounce around studios for pay raises, promotions, new games to make, better co-workers/managers, or better perks, or just a new location, etc.

kyliethicc

This relationship between Sony and Epic should deliver good results for PS5.

Maybe we will see a more optimized Unreal Engine 5 for PS5 with a good API for all new PS5 features like Geometry Engine.

And of course, many third-party games are writen in Unreal Engine. It's true that Sony's first-party studios has their own engines, but the third-party studios could make use of good PS5 resources in Unreal Engine 5.
The irony is over 50% of Xbox studios use Unreal. Idk about Bethesda devs, tho.

kyliethicc

What is ironic about this unless Unreal will be PlayStation exclusive? I have not seen 3rd parties do a better job with Unreal than the Coalition.
Its funny that Sony and Epic worked together to build UE5, Sony owns part of Epic, and the UE5 demo was shown off on PS5.

While 1 Sony studio uses Unreal, Bend.

The Xbox doesn't even support RAD tools Kraken compression, but the PS5 does. Yet now Epic buys RAD, and will incorporate Kraken and Oodle into Unreal, which lots of Xbox studios use.

Last edited:
Unreal Engine is pretty much the middleware engine of choice among third party developers. Sony played it smart, by ensuring the most popular next-gen middleware engine was architected from the ground up for their next-gen console. It makes sure third party devs of all talent levels have no problem take full advantage of everything the PS5 has to offer.

So all the talk about PS5’s bespoke features being ignored in third party games because devs don’t have time to optimise for PS5 as well as focusing in the lowest common denominator, becomes effectively moot. Every dev rocking UE5 will see great PS5 performance out of the box.

SSfox

Sure he could guess right, but still just a guess, i say this cause some took it as official confirmation.

And welcome back btw.
And here Jaffey pretty much says what i did say about this.

Don't know if those websites are really that ignorant, or just looking for clickbaits, or maybe both.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Unreal Engine is pretty much the middleware engine of choice among third party developers. Sony played it smart, by ensuring the most popular next-gen middleware engine was architected from the ground up for their next-gen console. It makes sure third party devs of all talent levels have no problem take full advantage of everything the PS5 has to offer.

So all the talk about PS5’s bespoke features being ignored in third party games because devs don’t have time to optimise for PS5 as well as focusing in the lowest common denominator, becomes effectively moot. Every dev rocking UE5 will see great PS5 performance out of the box.
As soon as I saw that Rainbow Six Siege on PS5 supports the DualSense triggers and haptics, I knew Sony made good choices innovating with their hardware.

Sony built a custom bespoke controller yet they got 3rd parties to support it with a game 6 years old. Clearly they made it easy to support, or else devs would ignore it.

I bet the same applies for all of the various unique bespoke aspects of the PS5 system. In order to get devs to support it, it has to be relatively easy to do to be worth their time. Good job by Cerny and the boys.

Allandor

Well, they should first get their promised features running on last years TVs before they bring out something new.
Still waiting for a those HDMI 2.1 features without compromise or bad picture quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom