• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This guy found normal temperatures for the GDDR6 chips. He even tried to turn the fan off and put a cover on the PS5 to create overheating.

Using another methodology this user also found perfectly normal temperatures:

he didnt run the same stress test gamernexus ran. thats why he is getting normal temperature. he just casually played the game or sat in the hub area for 40 minutes.

gamernexus sat in the middle of a sandstorm for 40 minutes and got the temps to hit 95 degrees. this guy shouldve done the same test if he wanted to disprove GN's findings.

i dont think the GN test is indicative of console performance but he called it a stress test for a reason.

mitchman

Gold Member
Cause its not possible without Tensor cores. The Tensor cores alone needed for DLSS 2.0 would need more die space than the entire Tegra X1 Switch chip.

In a $300 handheld made by Nintendo? No fucking way.
And yet Nividia Shield have "AI upscaling" on Tegra, and it looks really good. I wouldn't be so certain about Tensor cores being required.

kyliethicc

And yet Nividia Shield have "AI upscaling" on Tegra, and it looks really good. I wouldn't be so certain about Tensor cores being required.
Oh well a Switch built for 4K TVs could easily add a simple upscaling chip. I just doubt it could have desktop class DLSS 2.0 without Tensor cores.

Any 4K TV or 4K Blu-ray player has a chip in it for upscaling 1080p content to 2160p.

Could Nintendo put a similar chip into a Switch to support 4K TVs? Sure. Would it look good enough and work? Of course. But actual RTX exclusive DLSS 2.0 in a Switch? Nah.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The fact that it's pre-installed is genius. I have let a couple friends of mine play astrobot and the reaction is all the same. Big smile on your face once you feel what this controller can do. Nevermind the CGI quality graphics with ray tracing.

Btw I'm glad you're over on this forum. I remember you from beyond3d back in 2003/4 when we were all arguing over the broadband engine lmao. I was Paul on those forums.. Remember Vince? I wonder what ever happened to him. Smart guy great writing style.

I think Vince is back here too :D.

mitchman

Gold Member
Oh well a Switch built for 4K TVs could easily add a simple upscaling chip. I just doubt it could have desktop class DLSS 2.0 without Tensor cores.

Any 4K TV or 4K Blu-ray player has a chip in it for upscaling 1080p content to 2160p.

Could Nintendo put a similar chip into a Switch to support 4K TVs? Sure. Would it look good enough and work? Of course. But actual RTX exclusive DLSS 2.0 in a Switch? Nah.
The Shield upscaling is closer to DLSS 2.0 than any "dumb" upscaling, hence they call it "AI Upscaling".

Razvedka

Banned
The Shield upscaling is closer to DLSS 2.0 than any "dumb" upscaling, hence they call it "AI Upscaling".

One difference is that a video doesn't need to be 'real time' with its upscaling. Videos can be buffered and are static, so you could do processing ahead of time or something maybe.

No, the game definitly knows / can check it is running on a PS5. Otherwise for example "ghost of tsushima" would not be able to set the console into 60fps mode.

the game knows it is running on a PS5 and has probably access to the full CPU/GPU power of the device.
According to some devs other restrictions still apply (e.g. no 120fps mode, only the same RAM available as the PS4 pro), but I guess if Sony wanted they could lift these restrictions as well.

small addition as it was not clear from your comments:
A game does not necessarily needs to know that it runs on a PS5 to run in the "PS5 BC mode".
You can see a lot of cases where an unpatched (unaware of PS5) game profits from the additional power. Examples are AC Origins which now works always on the top of the dynamic resolution, which the PS4Pro seldom reached. And Sekiro runs with 60fps while on PS4Pro the performance was worse.

Re-read my full post. No PS4 game binary compiled as a PS4 binary is aware that it running on PS5 hardware in any PS5 BC mode; in that it’s inly awareness is that the machine ID registers it as PS5, the GPU uses the GCN ISA (the PS5 GPU is compatible with the legacy ISA) and the CPU is x86-64. It has no awareness of RDNA2 GPU features nor PS5 more custom GPU features like cache scrubbers, nor the RT cores or Geometry Engine, nor the PS5 specific CPU vector extensions like AVX. It also has no awareness of the SSD and IO features beyond being able to see it as a generic mass storage device. Neither is it able to access any more RAM than the amount available to games on the PS4/Pro... this is a fact.

For games to access these PS5 features they need to be recompiled as PS5 binaries.

PS4 BC games can only run at faster clocks in BC Gen2 mode which makes available the full clocks of the PS5 CPU and GPU, and can only do so through devs unlocking the framerate on the PS4 game and vsync’ing to lock at 60fps.

Rocket League probably isn’t able to run at 120fps because the game needs deeper optimisation (read: reduction in some graphics features) to get there stably on PS5. Simply unlocking the frame-rate won’t cut it. They can do it on XSX because MS does BC differently, as all games ran in a virtualised environment on XB1, so that same virtualisation layer could be easily ported to XSX, allowing more comprehensive control of game rendering at the system OS level (partly because it’s all DirectX based).

As a general rule, if a PS4 game running on PS5 only runs at a higher framerate as the sole upgrade, it’s because the framerate was unlocked. It’s still a PS4 game binary. It’s the reason some unpatched games with unlocked framerates were able to run at 60fps right out of the game without the devs needing to do anything.

Tensor cores are required for DLSS 2.0 as per Nvidia’s own website. For the level required for upscaling to 4K on a mobile device with single-digit TDP as per the Switch, I highly doubt you would have nearly enough die space nor power budget for it.

For upscaling to something like 1080p it might be possible somewhat in terms of die area, i.e. you get 8 Tensor cores per SM, iirc. That said, I’m still not sure it’d fit within the TDP budget of the console. The Switch TDP is eye-wateringly miniscule.

mitchman

Gold Member
Tensor cores are required for DLSS 2.0 as per Nvidia’s own website. For the level required for upscaling to 4K on a mobile device with single-digit TDP as per the Switch, I highly doubt you would have nearly enough die space nor power budget for it.

For upscaling to something like 1080p it might be possible somewhat in terms of die area, i.e. you get 8 Tensor cores per SM, iirc. That said, I’m still not sure it’d fit within the TDP budget of the console. The Switch TDP is eye-wateringly miniscule.
The shield upscaling is done from 1080p to 4k on the sources I've seen (typically twitch and streaming football broadcasts). Even if Nvidia says one thing doesn't make it necessarily true, nor is it clear what this "AI upscaling" really is about and what kind of processing is done. It does look good in my yes, though.

Mahavastu

Re-read my full post. No PS4 game binary compiled as a PS4 binary is aware that it running on PS5 hardware in any PS5 BC mode; in that it’s inly awareness is that the machine ID registers it as PS5, the GPU uses the GCN ISA (the PS5 GPU is compatible with the legacy ISA) and the CPU is x86-64. It has no awareness of RDNA2 GPU features nor PS5 more custom GPU features like cache scrubbers, nor the RT cores or Geometry Engine, nor the PS5 specific CPU vector extensions like AVX. It also has no awareness of the SSD and IO features beyond being able to see it as a generic mass storage device. Neither is it able to access any more RAM than the amount available to games on the PS4/Pro... this is a fact.

A PS4 game compiled for the PS4 can check if runs on a PS5. Only because of this the PS4 version of GoT can run with 60fps on the PS5 while it runs with 30fps on the PS4 pro.
Some features are hidden from them for compatibility reasons but if Sony wants they could enable them, for example if the game asks for it after checking for PS5.

PS4 BC games can only run at faster clocks in BC Gen2 mode which makes available the full clocks of the PS5 CPU and GPU, and can only do so through devs unlocking the framerate on the PS4 game and vsync’ing to lock at 60fps.

In GoT the game on PS4 is locked to 30fps and would be on the PS5 too, if the game could not check if it runs on the PS5. This is an active involvment from the dev. It is not just "unlocking the framerate", because it was not unlocked on the PS4.

Rocket League probably isn’t able to run at 120fps because the game needs deeper optimisation (read: reduction in some graphics features) to get there stably on PS5. Simply unlocking the frame-rate won’t cut it. They can do it on XSX because MS does BC differently, as all games ran in a virtualised environment on XB1, so that same virtualisation layer could be easily ported to XSX, allowing more comprehensive control of game rendering at the system OS level (partly because it’s all DirectX based).
I am quite confident that Sony could enable 120fps in the PS4 BC mode if they want to do so. It would require some changes in the PS4 API layer they have on the PS5 and changes in the PS4 SDK.
When Sony decides to do so Rocket League could implement the 120fps.

As a general rule, if a PS4 game running on PS5 only runs at a higher framerate as the sole upgrade, it’s because the framerate was unlocked. It’s still a PS4 game binary. It’s the reason some unpatched games with unlocked framerates were able to run at 60fps right out of the game without the devs needing to do anything.
this is only valid for (older) games which are not aware of the PS5 and do not check for it. New games could enable special modes on the PS5 even though they are still officially a PS4 binary, like GoT

The shield upscaling is done from 1080p to 4k on the sources I've seen (typically twitch and streaming football broadcasts). Even if Nvidia says one thing doesn't make it necessarily true, nor is it clear what this "AI upscaling" really is about and what kind of processing is done. It does look good in my yes, though.
If the shield AI Upscaling is not DLSS 2.0 it could be running on the GPU compute cores.

Equally, what is the TDP of the latest NVidia Shield in question? I’m pretty sure it’s more than twice the TDP of the Switch.

A PS4 game compiled for the PS4 can check if runs on a PS5. Only because of this the PS4 version of GoT can run with 60fps on the PS5 while it runs with 30fps on the PS4 pro.
Some features are hidden from them for compatibility reasons but if Sony wants they could enable them, for example if the game asks for it after checking for PS5.

In GoT the game on PS4 is locked to 30fps and would be on the PS5 too, if the game could not check if it runs on the PS5. This is an active involvment from the dev. It is not just "unlocking the framerate", because it was not unlocked on the PS4.

I am quite confident that Sony could enable 120fps in the PS4 BC mode if they want to do so. It would require some changes in the PS4 API layer they have on the PS5 and changes in the PS4 SDK.
When Sony decides to do so Rocket League could implement the 120fps.

this is only valid for (older) games which are not aware of the PS5 and do not check for it. New games could enable special modes on the PS5 even though they are still officially a PS4 binary, like GoT

What you’re referring to is the game’s ability to check the machine ID. This, as in the case of GoT and many other PS4 games running on PS5 can be patched in. I’ve detailed this already, so i’m not sure what you’re arguing?

What you are mistaken about, however, is the idea that sony can simply enable access to PS5 hardware features to game compiled as PS4 binaries. This is physically impossible. Binaries are hardware platform dependent. So a PS4 game binary will only run on a PS4. The PS5 OS has a BC software layer that maps the hardware to essentially abstract away the actual PS5 hardware from the software, so the software runs as if it’s running on a PS4, Pro or PS4 Pro with clocked boosted to PS5 clocks (i.e. BC Gens 0, 1 and 2).

The only way for Sony to enable PS5 hardware features to PS4 games is for them to be exposed at the driver level, which in order for games to be able to access the exposed features the games need to be re-compiled, but it cannot be with the PS4 SDK compiler, rather the PS5 SDK compiler.... which is what both ethomaz ethomaz and I have been saying all along.

It is, sadly we have to get some open-world Ubishit type of game, instead of another Killzone. I don't care what other says Killzone Shadow Fall was great.

Horizon Zero Dawn is better than every game to come out of Ubisoft. I strongly disagree HZD is anything close to “open-world Ubishit type of game”. You mustn’t have actually played it if you think that. And if you haven’t you should. I think you’d be pleasantly surprised.

All that said, let’s also not pretend that Ubisoft makes bad games either. AC Origins and Odyssey are both stellar and all reports on Valhalla seem to suggest the same. Even if you dislike the derivative, almost cookie-cutter/template-like design of Ubisoft games, there’s no denying they make them freaking fun and they’re consistently high quality... rarely GoTY quality, but they don’t need to be.

Ubisoft games are the McDonalds/BK/Popeyes shallow but tasty ass fast food, you consume in the off-season between the big original block busters.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
If the shield AI Upscaling is not DLSS 2.0 it could be running on the GPU compute cores.

Equally, what is the TDP of the latest NVidia Shield in question? I’m pretty sure it’s more than twice the TDP of the Switch.

What you’re referring to is the game’s ability to check the machine ID. This, as in the case of GoT and many other PS4 games running on PS5 can be patched in. I’ve detailed this already, so i’m not sure what you’re arguing?

What you are mistaken about, however, is the idea that sony can simply enable access to PS5 hardware features to game compiled as PS4 binaries. This is physically impossible. Binaries are hardware platform dependent. So a PS4 game binary will only run on a PS4. The PS5 OS has a BC software layer that maps the hardware to essentially abstract away the actual PS5 hardware from the software, so the software runs as if it’s running on a PS4, Pro or PS4 Pro with clocked boosted to PS5 clocks (i.e. BC Gens 0, 1 and 2).

The only way for Sony to enable PS5 hardware features to PS4 games is for them to be exposed at the driver level, which in order for games to be able to access the exposed features the games need to be re-compiled, but it cannot be with the PS4 SDK compiler, rather the PS5 SDK compiler.... which is what both ethomaz ethomaz and I have been saying all along.

Horizon Zero Dawn is better than every game to come out of Ubisoft. I strongly disagree HZD is anything close to “open-world Ubishit type of game”. You mustn’t have actually played it if you think that. And if you haven’t you should. I think you’d be pleasantly surprised.

All that said, let’s also not pretend that Ubisoft makes bad games either. AC Origins and Odyssey are both stellar and all reports on Valhalla seem to suggest the same. Even if you dislike the derivative, almost cookie-cutter/template-like design of Ubisoft games, there’s no denying they make them freaking fun and they’re consistently high quality... rarely GoTY quality, but they don’t need to be.

Ubisoft games are the McDonalds/BK/Popeyes shallow but tasty ass fast food, you consume in the off-season between the big original block busters.
I played it and I hate it, not every game is for everyone. I am not shitting on the poeple who enjoy the game, more power to them. It's just my view.

Anyone got one of these surveys?

As spotted by TechRadar, the survey asks respondents to agree or disagree with the following statement: “I am aware of features on PlayStation controllers that I wish were on the controller that came with this console.” The survey further asks respondents if Xbox Series X feels “next gen.”

The "feels next gen " part seems interesting to me. Especially since I've seen some reviews mention the PS5 controller as "feeling next gen".

Just thought it was interesting that Microsoft was asking about this in a survey. Could be a sign of how future controllers could be designed.

Last edited:

sinnergy

The "feels next gen " part seems interesting to me. Especially since I've seen some reviews mention the PS5 controller as "feeling next gen".

Just thought it was interesting that Microsoft was asking about this in a survey. Could be a sign of how future controllers could be designed.
Good for them, better stolen design than half baked . Can’t wait for the haptics in a Xbox controller .

Good for them, better stolen design than half baked . Can’t wait for the haptics in a Xbox controller .

What's half baked about the Haptics in the PS5? I didn't read about them being bad actually the complete opposite.

Edit: To avoid any confusion talking about the vibration. Microsoft can just buy the same technology that Sony is using. The only thing they would have to develop are the triggers.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

wow. so even Microsoft thinks their next gen console doesnt feel next gen. This is probably the saddest survey of all time.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I did get one and just hope it can be shut off as I do with the PS5.

Its a cool addition but I run with mine off in most games.

kyliethicc

AI upscaling likely just means they used a bunch of supercomputers to build an algorithm for upscaling, then just run that algorithm but simplified on the Shield. But I doubt its as advanced as DLSS, which uses lots of dedicated "Tensor" cores.

Trust me, if the Shield had DLSS, Nvidia would market the shit out of it. They're not gonna let Nintendo market their device as having DLSS either unless its just as good as whats in RTX cards. Nvidia's marketing department knows how highly thought of the term "DLSS" is currently in gaming, and they're trying to make it synonymous with upscaling tech. Same with RTX and ray tracing.

Mahavastu

It was not clear from the messages I answered to, especially sentences like "No PS4 game binary compiled as a PS4 binary is aware that it running on PS5 hardware in any PS5 BC mode".
With the check the game does know it is running on a PS5.

Yes, a PS4 game can only access the features exposed to it via driver/API/whatever. What is exposed depends on Sony and they can chose what they expose. When they do, it can be used by a native PS4 game, if Sony does not it requires a recompile as a PS5 game.

I think now we pretty much agree.

Last edited:
It was not clear from the messages I answered to, especially sentences like "No PS4 game binary compiled as a PS4 binary is aware that it running on PS5 hardware in any PS5 BC mode".
With the check the game does know it is running on a PS5.

It knows it’s running on a machine with an ID named “PS5”, but the application has no comprehension that the hardware is any different than a PS4.... it cannot... because it’s a PS4 binary.

It’s the nuance of the term “awareness” that you seem to be struggling to grasp or getting confused with.

Yes, a PS4 game can only access the features exposed to it via driver/API/whatever. What is exposed depends on Sony and they can chose what they expose. When they do, it can be used by a native PS4 game, if Sony does not it requires a recompile as a PS5 game.

I think now we pretty much agree.

No we don’t yet. What you’re proposing isn’t possible.

Hardware features can be exposed in the driver/API/software abstraction layer, but if the software isn’t written (and when i say written, I mean written and compiled) to make use of those features, then to the software they effectively don’t exist.

If Sony exposes RDNA2 features in the BC abstraction layer, devs will still need to re-write their game code and then recompile those games via the PS5 SDK. At which point they cease being PS4 games and are now compiled as PS5 binaries.

Not wanting to sound condescending, before arguing further, I think you may want to educate yourself a bit more on the basics of software programming, and how compilers, bytecode/pcode generally works. As it seems you’re arguing about what is and isn’t possible without a firm grasp of these basic principles of computer science and how software is writen.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

It knows it’s running on a machine with an ID named “PS5”, but the application has no comprehension that the hardware is any different than a PS4.... it cannot... because it’s a PS4 binary.

It’s the nuance of the term “awareness” that you seem to be struggling to grasp or getting confused with.
The dev knows that the game is currently run on a PS5 and can make sure that special PS5 code is only executed on the PS5.
Which means the dev is aware and can ensure that the right code is executed, just like the switch to 60fps with GoT

No we don’t yet. What you’re proposing isn’t possible.
Why do you think that certain things like the 120fps mode can not be exposed to a PS4 BC game? It is just a question of software, changing some API. Sounds doable.

Hardware features can be exposed in the driver/API/software abstraction layer, but if the software isn’t written (and when i say written, I mean written and compiled) to make use of those features, then to the software they effectively don’t exist.
Of course, that's clear and obvious.

If Sony exposes RDNA2 features in the BC abstraction layer, devs will still need to re-write their game code and then recompile those games via the PS5 SDK. At which point they cease being PS4 games and are now compiled as PS5 binaries.
not really. If the features are exposed to an PS4 game, the devs can use it, it can still be a PS4 binary, such running ob both devices, with special code ("IF runninOnPs5, then do XXX") on the PS5.

Not wanting to sound condescending, before arguing further, I think you may want to educate yourself a bit more on the basics of software programming, and how compilers, bytecode/pcode generally works. As it seems you’re arguing about what is and isn’t possible without a firm grasp of these basic elements of computer science and how software is writen.
I think you underestimate me. I am writing software since over 35 years, 15 of them in pure Assembler (Z80, 6502, 32bit x86). I think I know how a computer and compiler works

What the PS5 BC boost mode does: it pretends to be PS4 except much faster performance. To do so it also has a software layer which offers the API of the PS4 to ensure PS4 games "just work".
Anyway, it should be quite easy to extend that software layer with additional functionality, exposing more functionality to the PS4 game if running on a PS5. This would also require certain changes to the SDK the game compiles against.
A game using this functionality would not magicly starts to be a PS5 game, it would still be a PS4 game running in PS5 BC mode, just using more of the PS5 functionality. The same binary, running on both PS4 and PS5.

Last edited:
The dev knows that the game is currently run on a PS5 and can make sure that special PS5 code is only executed on the PS5.
Which means the dev is aware and can ensure that the right code is executed, just like the switch to 60fps with GoT

Why do you think that certain things like the 120fps mode can not be exposed to a PS4 BC game? It is just a question of software, changing some API. Sounds doable.

Of course, that's clear and obvious.

not really. If the features are exposed to an PS4 game, the devs can use it, it can still be a PS4 binary, such running ob both devices, with special code ("IF runninOnPs5, then do XXX") on the PS5.

I think you underestimate me. I am writing software since over 35 years, 15 of them in pure Assembler (Z80, 6502, 32bit x86). I think I know how a computer and compiler works

At this point I think we’re talking past each other.

I think you’re arguing that things can be done in complete absolute terms, whereas I’m arguing what cannot be done in terms of working within the pre-existing and very practical limitations of how Sony has chosen to setup their BC and software distribution system on PS5.

Would you agree?

Mahavastu

At this point I think we’re talking past each other.

I think you’re arguing that things can be done in complete absolute terms, whereas I’m arguing what cannot be done in terms of working within the pre-existing and very practical limitations of how Sony has chosen to setup their BC and software distribution system on PS5.

Would you agree?
I think we can agree on this. :messenger_grinning:

I am writing software since over 35 years, 15 of them in pure Assembler (Z80, 6502, 32bit x86). I think I know how a computer and compiler works

That's nice. I worked 10 years writing software (4 of them to mobile phones with JavaMe and early Android, SDKs, extreme optimizations, build some frameworks and all shit :messenger_tears_of_joy: ). I still on IT, but in other functions.

It's pretty good talk about game development with IT guys, because even maybe some of us don't have any specialization in game development, we do know basic concepts in computer science. And learning about game development, i expect we can compile some interesting information about.

Stooky

I call it just a guess, Jaffe hasn't been involved with GOW for a long time.

Nooooooooo 🤬

For a game like GOW i don't think cross gen is a bad thing. The first game was targeted for PS4. I doubt for a sequel they would rebuild GOWs base for PS5, for that type of gameplay I don't think they would need to. Im thinking a spiderman type upgrade. More memory High res assets, next gen lighting goes a long way. I sure its going to look and play amazing.

I actually hope that MS adds that feature so more third party games would use it.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Speaking of upscaling, I'm not sure if we do need that much as I'm already very pleased with the sharpness/final image of the likes of AC Valhalla, Immortal Fenyx Rising, and Performance RT on Spiderman MM, even though Fidelity mode is sharper the package of 60fps+RT with Dynamic 4K seems like the best mode.

DLSS 2.0 needs extra work I'm already happy with current upscaling that's working on PS5 already. Even checkerboarded 4K in BC mode looks wonderful on PS5 and identical to photo mode on PS4 Pro, which many used to say that PS4 Pro screenshots are fake and don't represent the final game, which was true to some extent. Last time I checked GOW, unpatched 1800p checkerboarded BC mode by NXGamer NXGamer I'm really shocked and it looks better than all 3rd party PS5 games so far!!

I actually hope that MS adds that feature so more third party games would have it.

Yup, more common ground = more implementation of the features. I really liked the adaptive triggers in Immortals Fenyx Rising kicking my finger in R2 when scouting the map.

He doesn't know shit, just guessing

That aside, seems he finally get to play the game, i'm actually interested to see his playthrough and how the OG father of the franchise react to the game.

He could be accurate as Jim said 2022+. If it's coming in 2021 then it could possibly be cross-gen.

Last edited:

SSfox

Speaking of upscaling, I'm not sure if we do need that much as I'm already very pleased with the sharpness/final image of the likes of AC Valhalla, Immortal Fenyx Rising, and Performance RT on Spiderman MM, even though Fidelity mode is sharper the package of 60fps+RT with Dynamic 4K seems like the best mode.

DLSS 2.0 needs extra work I'm already happy with current upscaling that's working on PS5 already. Even checkerboarded 4K in BC mode looks wonderful on PS5 and identical to photo mode on PS4 Pro, which many used to say that PS4 Pro screenshots are fake and don't represent the final game, which was true to some extent. Last time I checked GOW, unpatched 1800p checkerboarded BC mode by NXGamer NXGamer I'm really shocked and it looks better than all 3rd party PS5 games so far!!

Yup, more common ground = more implementation of the features. I really liked the adaptive triggers in Immortals Fenyx Rising kicking my finger in R2 when scouting the map.

He could be accurate as Jim said 2022+. If it's coming in 2021 then it could possibly be cross-gen.
Sure he could guess right, but still just a guess, i say this cause some took it as official confirmation.

And welcome back btw.

There’s no EU regulation constraining power consumption for electronic devices. Consumer or otherwise.

Yes they are.
Vacuum cleaners have a power limitation since 2017. Maximum 900W. I have one that have 1300W but its old.

Not for consoles. Vacuum Cleaners have nothing to do with consoles.

Consoles have no mandatory limits on power consumption.

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing.webp

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Even if a PS4 game can detect a "device above PS4 Pro", it cannot run PS5 code. The only thing it can do, at most, is tweak settings.
which should be enough in most cases. If you want more, make a PS5 game.
It is about doing cheap (not much work needed) patches to improve the game, like higher res or higher fps, better assets. For games like Bloodborne some would kill for such simple little patch.
If Sony exposes the possibility in the API for more (like 120fps, more RAM, just to mention the obvious), a PS4 game could use them as well, but that depends on Sony and is rather unlikely that they will expose the possibility.

Last edited:

Allandor

Even if a PS4 game can detect a "device above PS4 Pro", it cannot run PS5 code. The only thing it can do, at most, is tweak settings.
This would be fine, because the code is mostly similar. But it would be great if the game just could use the power to render out 4k instead of 1800p or 60fps instead of 30 or even 120 instead of 60. That has almost nothing to do with huge code-changes (not even new APIs) more or less just a 3rd profile for maximum settings the console could reach when the console if faster than ps4 pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom