• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is this random guy are why do people keep posting his fucking tweets? Why should we care?
LeaveBritneyAlone.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Destiny 2 next-gen comparison between PS5 and Xbox Series. I think there’s a bug or whatever on how Xbox games do fire effects, because the drop was constant when Tom had his pike on fire or when he used his super to burn enemies. That’s very odd, I also remember Valhalla’s infamous torch drops. It’s been some time, but I remember a Era member (MiniatureKaiju) talking about this same thing.

once again, Tom and Alex are baffled by the performance drops in the XSX version. Alex literally says they dont know why Bungie would allow these drops. Like are you fucking kidding me? Bungie isnt allowing shit. The XSX simply isnt able to run the game at that framerate at all times. Imagine if Alex reviewed a GPU where the GPU isnt able to do locked native 4k 60 fps in a benchmark test and then blamed the benchmark instead of the GPU for the poor performance.

This is getting ridiculous tbh. This is like the 15th game they have reviewed which has performance problems on the xsx and while I am open to the tools conspiracy theory or excuse or whatever you want to call it, I think it's fair to say that at the moment the XSX isnt as capable as the PS5. There is no need to appear surprised or shocked or make excuses or blame developers. Very bizarre.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

- PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X have identical graphical settings.
- Both PS5 and XsX hold a native 4K image majority of the time.
- Xbox Series S runs at 1080p, 60fps
- PlayStation 5 drops resolution below native 4K more than Xbox Series X during certain parts of the game. This is because Xbox Series X stays at a Native 4K resolution when the game drops below 60fps.
- 60fps is more stable on PlayStation 5
- PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X have a 120fps mode at 1440p. Xbox Series S does not have a 120fps mode.
- 120fps more is more stable on PlayStation 5.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

- PlayStation 5 drops resolution below native 4K more than Xbox Series X during certain parts of the game. This is because Xbox Series X stays at a Native 4K resolution when the game drops below 60fps.
- PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X have a 120fps mode at 1440p. Xbox Series S does not have a 120fps mode.

thanks for summary, saved me a watch of those cunts

MistBreeze

good for both platforms

but really seams Mark Cerny talk about faster gpu is better than wider is paying off

interesting stuff

Tmack

once again, Tom and Alex are baffled by the performance drops in the XSX version. Alex literally says they dont know why Bungie would allow these drops. Like are you fucking kidding me? Bungie isnt allowing shit. The XSX simply isnt able to run the game at that framerate at all times. Imagine if Alex reviewed a GPU where the GPU isnt able to do locked native 4k 60 fps in a benchmark test and then blamed the benchmark instead of the GPU for the poor performance.

This is getting ridiculous tbh. This is like the 15th game they have reviewed which has performance problems on the xsx and while I am open to the tools conspiracy theory or excuse or whatever you want to call it, I think it's fair to say that at the moment the XSX isnt as capable as the PS5. There is no need to appear surprised or shocked or make excuses or blame developers. Very bizarre.

Exactly, the first or second time surprise is excusable, but by now theyr know exactly where the problem is but, apparently can`t or arent willing to talk about it.

at what point do they say that?
I think at some point Tom said the resolution on Series X is more static and maybe the DRS scale isn’t working. Which is odd because in the beginning of the video he says that it’s hard to find drops in resolution in both consoles. He only mentions the end of the Last Array mission (on Xbox).

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
at what point do they say that?

Image quality comparisons between PS5 and Series X reveal that Bungie has set a visual bar for the consoles that it doesn't intend to deviate from. The games are effectively identical - with PS5 showing only a slightly higher frequency of resolution drops under 4K. In fact, evidence does seem to point towards the Microsoft machine not using DRS much, if at all. 60fps performance is generally excellent on Series X too, but it does have some minor frame-rate drops from the target 60fps, while PlayStation 5 is slightly more consistent in this area. In short: a touch more clarity on Xbox, but a very occasionally smoother ride on the Sony machine.
In the Eurogamer article, it says there's "a touch more clarity on XBox" and the PlayStation 5 is "showing only a slightly higher frequency of resolution drops"

@3:25, Xbox Series X drops all the way down to 54 fps, but the resolution stays at a fixed Native 4K image. DRS is suppose to drop the resolution to maintain 60fps.

Aceofspades

Banned

Playstation 5 is a fucking BEAST 🔥

SlimySnake

Exactly, the first or second time surprise is excusable, but by now theyr know exactly where the problem is but, apparently can`t or arent willing to talk about it.
TBH, i would prefer they dont even talk about it. I dont see why they need to feign shock or surprise as if this is some rare event that only happens once in a millennium or something. Just mention that the xbox drops more frames than the PS5 and move on. There is zero need for editorial speculation here. It's simple benchmarks they have been doing since the PS3 era. THe cell was more powerful than the Xbox 360 CPU as well but i dont remember them being surprised by AC1 and other games performing worse on the PS3. It was just understood that the PS3 had bad tools and a bad split ram architecture. this isnt rocket science.

Aceofspades

Banned
TBH, i would prefer they dont even talk about it. I dont see why they need to feign shock or surprise as if this is some rare event that only happens once in a millennium or something. Just mention that the xbox drops more frames than the PS5 and move on. There is zero need for editorial speculation here. It's simple benchmarks they have been doing since the PS3 era. THe cell was more powerful than the Xbox 360 CPU as well but i dont remember them being surprised by AC1 and other games performing worse on the PS3. It was just understood that the PS3 had bad tools and a bad split ram architecture. this isnt rocket science.

Thank you for this post. Sums my entire thought about DF.

In the Eurogamer article, it says there's "a touch more clarity on XBox" and the PlayStation 5 is "showing only a slightly higher frequency of resolution drops"

@3:25, Xbox Series X drops all the way down to 54 fps, but the resolution stays at a fixed Native 4K image. DRS is suppose to drop the resolution to maintain 60fps.

For me it's a tie. Both consoles has consistent 4k 60fps. PS5 has more resolution drops and XSX has more FPS drops.

In 120fps both has drops, but XSX has more.

But it's virtually identical. https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...ny-2-ps5-xbox-series-a-huge-performance-boost

Impressive how these two consoles are finally similar at performances level. Never saw that in the past :D
You're right. Never saw too much close performance in any console generation.

Maybe on 2011 or 2012 PS3 started to have more closer performance to X360 in multiplatform games. But before that... we know.

I know that, I’ve seen the video. I’m more curious to know why these things happen on Xbox, whether it’s tools, lazy devs or, God forbidden, a hardware bug. I think the fire effect causing it is a good lead.

Yes it's definitely weird. I really would like to know if it's some sort of hardware bottleneck or if it's just tools.

One things for certain, this shouldn't be happening to the most powerful console.

Last edited:

Loxus

I know that, I’ve seen the video. I’m more curious to know why these things happen on Xbox, whether it’s tools, lazy devs or, God forbidden, a hardware bug. I think the fire effect causing it is a good lead.
It's kind of funny how when the XBSX out preforms PS5 in 1 or 2 games, the XBSX is more powerful.
But when the PS5 out preforms the XBSX in 9 games, it's a bug or the tools.
This is hilarious. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

SlimySnake

Yes it's definitely weird. I really would like to know if it's some sort of hardware bottleneck or if it's just tools.

One things for certain, this shouldn't be happening to the most powerful console.
It's still possible that next gen only games might perform better on the xsx. The next Battlefield will be the first true next gen game to hit shelves next fall so we will see if its just the tools or not.

To me, the jury is still out on PS5's variable clocks. There is a good chance its winning these cross gen comparisons because the CPU being paired back isnt affecting performance because these cross gen games barely even use the CPU as most PC benchmarks can show us. Once next gen games with heavy physics, massive NPC counts and destruction arrive, we might start to see issues if the variable clocks impact the CPU too much.

Other than that, I would be very worried if I was Microsoft because it seems Cerny knew what he was doing and there is a good chance the PS5 might keep this slight edge for the rest of this gen.

It's kind of funny how when the XBSX out preforms PS5 in 1 or 2 games, the XBSX is more powerful.
But when the PS5 out preforms the XBSX in 9 games, it's a bug or the tools.
This is hilarious. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
This is not about one being more powerful than the other or how the TF count reflects thing, it's about WHY. Those consoles are way to close to justify any difference with TF count or black magic. I could care less why the most powerful console is an Xbox and it's underperforming, I just want to know what kind of mistake the so proud team that made this machine made for those things to happen. They definitely messed something because the pattern is clear.

3liteDragon

The LOD thing interests me, with UE5 demonstrated on the PS5 they stated no more need for LODs.
Actually that’s false, LODs are still there, the big difference this gen is that it’ll be invisible to the human eye. How?

By drawing and rendering polygons at the micro-level (breaking down triangles in an asset to the size of a pixel and then make changes to LOD in real-time as you’re walking through the level, depending on how to close to the object you are and you won’t even notice it happening).

This is where PS5’s I/O solution and cache coherency play a MAJOR role.

(timestamped)

Like NX Gamer said, if you were to run this demo on PC rn with the exact same micro-polygon density as PS5, you would need like 40GB of VRAM. But because of the ultra-high speed SSD, the process is virtualized, pretty much what MLiD said in one of his videos, the PS5 has 825GB of DDR2 RAM thanks to how fast the storage architecture is.

Last edited:

Loxus

This is not about one being more powerful than the other or how the TF count reflects thing, it's about WHY. Those consoles are way to close to justify any difference with TF count or black magic. I could care less why the most powerful console is an Xbox and it's underperforming, I just want to know what kind of mistake the so proud team that made this machine made for those things to happen. They definitely messed something because the pattern is clear.
Is the XBSX really the most powerful?, is the real question.
Mark Cerny said: "This continuous improvement in AMD technology means it's dangerous to rely on teraflops as an absolute indicator of performance."
708syXr.jpg

Maybe the Flops and CUs in the PS5 are more powerful than in the XBSX.
Or the PS5 is just better engineered.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Roblox Corp Is Now Valued At $30 Billion, More Than CD Projekt, Take-Two, And Ubisoft

The company has now gone on top above other game companies like Take-Two, Ubisoft, and CD Projekt. If you compare its statistics to the bigger guns of industry, It ranks behind Nintendo, which is valued at $53.73 Billion, Call of Duty owner Activision Blizzard at $56.27 Billion, FIFA Creator EA at $34.34 Billion, and Tencent, the backbone behind Riot and Epic Games which sits at whopping $69 Billion.
Regardless, this is a great achievement, especially for a company that has only produced one game so far. Its remarkable success can be mainly associated with the Google Play/App Store, where it saw 159.6 Million Downloads since 2014, and $2 Billion in consumer spending on mobile. Roblox last reported that its active playerbase has had doubled and risen to 36.2 Million.

😱

Is the XBSX really the most powerful?, is the real question.
Mark Cerny said: "This continuous improvement in AMD technology means it's dangerous to rely on teraflops as an absolute indicator of performance."
708syXr.jpg

Maybe the Flops and CUs in the PS5 are more powerful than in the XBSX.
Or the PS5 is just better engineered.

The only rumor I've seen regarding that are that the CUs in the PS5 are not the same as the CUs in the XSX. Without an X-ray we really can't find that out.

What made you think Xbox made a mistake? Why couldn't it be because the Playstation team did a good job?

It seems you assumed incorrectly that Microsoft is better at making consoles than Sony, when Sony is the actual Hardware company. At some point you need to stop trying to find blame, and give credit to the engeneers at Playstation who did their job well.

Yes, the Xbox team is "proud", but they were never basing their pride on anything. You need to re-evaluate the capability of both sides and change your assumptions.

roops67

The only rumor I've seen regarding that are that the CUs in the PS5 are not the same as the CUs in the XSX. Without an X-ray we really can't find that out.
Yes still just rumors but MLiD and RGT(?) stated from industry insiders that concessions were made for MS to fit (squeeze) 54 CU's onto the XSX APU. They ripped out the circuitry for the CU's (or individual shader cores) to alter/tune it's frequencies around it's base clock, this also probably included the 'pervasive fine-grain clock gating' too that AMD had shown on their RDNA2 talk. These deleted features are important for efficiency and keep the GPU within it's TDP when trying to work flat out, may explain partly why XSX is under performing

... where the heck is geordiemp geordiemp when we need him

Yes still just rumors but MLiD and RGT(?) stated from industry insiders that concessions were made for MS to fit (squeeze) 54 CU's onto the XSX APU. They ripped out the circuitry for the CU's (or individual shader cores) to alter/tune it's frequencies around it's base clock, this also probably included the 'pervasive fine-grain clock gating' too that AMD had shown on their RDNA2 talk. These deleted features are important for efficiency and keep the GPU within it's TDP when trying to work flat out, may explain partly why XSX is under performing

... where the heck is geordiemp geordiemp when we need him

I remember that Cerny said RDNA2 feature set was malleable.

But that feature set is malleable which is to say that we have our own needs for PlayStation and that can factor into what the AMD roadmap becomes.

I think it's definitely possible that the CUs were modified so they could fit on the die. Cerny did mention that RDNA2 CUs are pretty big.

In fact the transistor count for a Playstation 5 CU is 62% larger than the transistor count for a playstation 4 CU.
20200329152923.jpg

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
NTVxfY8.jpg

series X is not fixed 4k, it's also using DRS like PS5.
I haven't watched the video but I will take a wild guess and say that it was Alex that said the Xbox doesn't seems to use DRS?
So this "sharper" image might just be his bad vision™ which is strangely always adding benefits to Xbox here and there, which is weird otherwise it would hapen to other consoles as well.
That being said coming from a guy that can't recognize Raytracing in video games is it that surprising?

Hashi

Roblox Corp Is Now Valued At $30 Billion, More Than CD Projekt, Take-Two, And Ubisoft

😱
Market Cap is nonsense in terms of value.
You can change value by 100bln with 100 shares and 1mln trading.
130bln market cap - Sony (1400 subsidaries, several dozens facilities, 30% world music share, secind biggest movie/picture entertainment, many real estate, 50% cmos sensor world share and no1 share OLED viefinders etc).
30bln market cap - some company that have one brick game.
Sony assets:

I never udnerstand market cap phenomenon on web
:)
Like Elon Musk last "richest man". He's not richest. He only owns some % of stock that skyrocket with computers help. If he want sell those shares value will down -80%. Market cap of Tesla is nonsense because is bigger than Toyota + VW (Audi, Lambo, Skoda, Bentley, Ducatti) + Mercedes-Benz, and Tesla have no profits and much lower revenue (30 times lower than those companies)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom