• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It’s part of the brand for me, you don’t see Hermen doing this
To me it is not.I've always hated the cult of the person that there is in gaming, there are people that I respect in the industry, some other that I don't like(phil harisson for example), but since every decision they make are part of a comittee (I'm not sure it's the right word sorry, I meant is a decision take by studying markets and listenning to councellors).They are public faces and are useful for marketing and that's it.

Tripolygon

Banned
I've been reading that some PS5 are getting lost at Fedex. If you are expecting a delivery make sure you call Fedex during and after the time window the package is supposed to be delivered as some drivers are stealing packages. So my Fedex delivery person parks in front of my house, i started watching through the window. He seems to go into the back of the truck to get the PS5 and i noticed he was taking a little too long so i walked out to the truck and was standing there. He walks back into he driver seat as if to take off and then he sees me then goes back and grabs my package and hands it to me. I didn't think much of it until just now as i'm reading stories of PS5 getting lost on Fedex delivery trucks.

Last edited:

SSfox

So now with actual facts we see that PS5 runs games better than Xbox Series X

Then you have Dusk Golem that said PS5 struggle to run RE8 at 1080p while Xbox Series X run it 4K easy...

0b8cb635635ad718f486c8d80e0932a3.gif

Last edited:

Old Empire.

Chris Grannell who replied is a real developer. who's worked on making Playstation games. RDNA2 a new chipset it takes time for devs to work it out and get the most out of it. People think devs don't have to learn new things here. Sony tools are likely more mature.

Still even if its not full RDNA2 chip in the PS5, it packs a lot of performance. We have to wait and see if that performance holds with devs start increasing the visuals and physics standard going forward

Mr Moose

Chris Grannell who replied is a real developer. who's worked on making Playstation games. RDNA2 a new chipset it takes time for devs to work it out and get the most out of it. People think devs don't have to learn new things here. Sony tools are likely more mature.

Still even if its not full RDNA2 chip in the PS5, it packs a lot of performance. We have to wait and see if that performance holds with devs start increasing the visuals and physics standard going forward
He's a Xbox fanboy who hasn't worked on games in over 10 years, I believe.

Old Empire.

He's a Xbox fanboy who hasn't worked on games in over 10 years, I believe.

Is he though? Or is he just someone talking to passionate Xbox fans? What's an xbox fanboy anyway? Are you not supposed to like Xbox? He's still a developer and still had friends in the industry.

AMD confirmed the MS GPU was full RDNA2. AMD confirmed no such thing for Sony. Chris comment is reasonable under the assumption Sony still using old tech mostly? The tools are already giving them the performance boost.

geordiemp

He works for a sports company for over 10 years. But he has a very big chip on his shoulder from his time with Sony, so friends with Tomdog and dealer.

Maybe he was fired, he certainly has a grudge. I enjoy watching him squeel like a pig.

Also please dont talk tech if you have no idea.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Is he though? Or is he just someone talking to passionate Xbox fans? What's an xbox fanboy anyway? Are you not supposed to like Xbox? He's still a developer and still had friends in the industry.

AMD confirmed the MS GPU was full RDNA2. AMD confirmed no such thing for Sony. Chris comment is reasonable under the assumption Sony still using old tech mostly? The tools are already giving them the performance boost.
What does he develop? It isn't games. And yes, he is a fanboy, look at his Twitter. If you want to believe him, go right ahead, PS5 has a RDNA 1 GPU! (We already know it doesn't and what he replied to doesn't make any sense).

kyliethicc

Look at his twitter feed and decide for yourself.

PS5 is custom RDNA2 and anyone who says otherwise is a sad fanboy or troll.

"Full RDNA2" refers to stock PC RDNA2 feature set like DX12. Of course the PS5 doesn't use PC APIs.

Old Empire.

What does he develop? It isn't games. And yes, he is a fanboy, look at his Twitter. If you want to believe him, go right ahead, PS5 has a RDNA 1 GPU! (We already know it doesn't and what he replied to doesn't make any sense).

Do you read? Sony GPU is not full RDNA2. It may have a chipset that based on RDNA2 but not the newer version. MS came outright in public and said there consoles only have FULL RDNA2. Are you naive to believe Sony would let that be if it was untrue? Sony would sue them, there silence is the answer!

Raoul_Duke

A butthurt dev fired by Sony 10 years ago now hanging out with the biggest Xbox fanboy ever existed is now an official source?

Mr Moose

Do you read? Sony GPU is not full RDNA2. It may have a chipset that based on RDNA2 but not the newer version. MS came outright in public and said there consoles only have FULL RDNA2. Are you naive to believe Sony would let that be if it was untrue? Sony would sue them, there silence is the answer!
So it doesn't use DirectX, who cares? Did you read? It is RDNA 2 custom GPU, Google it.
Saying it performs better because its RDNA 1 is retarded, those new RDNA 2 cards? Getting outperformed by those RDNA 1 cards! Gotta love those 5700 XTs! No.

Old Empire.

Look at his twitter feed and decide for yourself.

PS5 is custom RDNA2 and anyone who says otherwise is a sad fanboy or troll.

"Full RDNA2" refers to stock PC RDNA2 feature set like DX12. Of course the PS5 doesn't use PC APIs.

Nonsense. Custom how? Sony got the chipset from AMD. It's either full RDNA2 or it''s not.

Sony did not silence MS public statement their consoles only have full RDNA2. Sorry but there zero evidence Sony has a full RDNA2 GPU from AMD.

sircaw

Banned

come on dude seriously, this needs to stop.

Look where were are today, amd said that they were developing stuff with sony to put in there next generation graphics cards, does that sound like last generation stuff to you.

Has there not been enough carnage today on fud, lies and half-truths.

There has to be a time when even xbox fans say enough is enough too, i mean do they really want to know go down this road after the last week.

Mr Moose

Nonsense. Custom how? Sony got the chipset from AMD. It's either full RDNA2 or it''s not.

Sony did not silence MS public statement their consoles only have full RDNA2. Sorry but there zero evidence Sony has a full RDNA2 GPU from AMD.
OK since you're too lazy to look it up, I'll do it for you.

With the upcoming launch of the Xbox Series X|S on November 10, together we are ushering in the next generation of gaming delivering a level of power, performance and compatibility never before seen in console gaming, powered by AMD’s latest “Zen 2” and RDNA 2 architectures. Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today.
AMD’s latest RDNA 2 architecture delivers a significant increase in performance and efficiency over previous architectures, as well as adding new hardware acceleration capabilities including hardware accelerated DirectX Raytracing

This, right here is one of the things MicroSoft is saying makes it full RDNA 2.
Guess what Sony don't use in the PS5?

Old Empire.

come on dude seriously, this needs to stop.

Look where were are today, amd said that they were developing stuff with sony to put in there next generation graphics cards, does that sound like last generation stuff to you.

Has there not been enough carnage today on fud, lies and half-truths.

There has to be a time when even xbox fans say enough is enough too, i mean do they really want to know go down this road after the last week.

People can say what they like on here, but Xbox and MS would not publish this quote BELOW if it was untrue. Sony can sue them if it was wrong. Playstation fans on here are spouting info they can't support. Find a statement from Sony where they refute this claim?

Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Good lord, back to this "full RDNA 2" bullshit.

Does it have hardware based ray-tracing using the exact RDNA 2 method highlighted by AMD? Yes.
Does it benefit from IPC uplift of RDNA 2? Yes.
Does it scale well with high clock frequencies like RDNA 2? Yes.
Does it benefit from 50% performance per-watt uplift over RDNA 1? Yes.
Did Sony say it was RDNA 2? Yes.
Did AMD say it was RDNA 2? Yes.

Keep running with "full RDNA 2" if it makes you feel better about yourself but after seeing AC Valhalla performance on both consoles, the ray-tracing showcase of Spiderman Miles Morales which looks better than anything that other "full RDNA 2" console has shown, it seems "full RDNA 2" doesn't mean shit. I'm not even trying to shade Series X but it is what it is.

I mean, how could Sony benefit from implementing DirectX12 on the PS5?

sircaw

Banned
People can say what they like on here, but Xbox and MS would not publish this quote BELOW if it was untrue. Sony can sue them if it was wrong. Playstation fans on here are spouting info they can't support. Find a statement from Sony where they refute this claim?

you know Sony removed pieces of their kit, and had custom-designed a lot of their own stuff. full rdna2 means its standardized on the Microsoft side.

The conversation is done dude, not entertaining this anymore of this rubbish.

Knock yourself out with others though, that's what this thread is for.

I covered video games for a news outlet 5+ years ago but that doesn't make me a games journalist. Chris may have worked for studios but he likely has limited/no reference for what's happening in studios today.

Chris was QA in the 90s and credited as game designer for the F1 games in the 2000s, and the last game he worked on at SCEE was Killzone 2 where he was credited as "Other". Not exactly a shining resume of credibility.

Old Empire.

With the upcoming launch of the Xbox Series X|S on November 10, together we are ushering in the next generation of gaming delivering a level of power, performance and compatibility never before seen in console gaming, powered by AMD’s latest “Zen 2” and RDNA 2 architectures. Xbox Series X|S are the only next-generation consoles with full hardware support for all the RDNA 2 capabilities AMD showcased today.
AMD’s latest RDNA 2 architecture delivers a significant increase in performance and efficiency over previous architectures, as well as adding new hardware acceleration capabilities including hardware accelerated DirectX Raytracing

Why would PS5 hardware not be able to fully utilize all of RDNA2 capabilities.

Direct x Raytracing is not a special feature of RDNA2, thats the API xbox uses.

Why would PS5 hardware not be able to fully utilize all of RDNA2 capabilities.? Can you guys not read. AMD who supplies both companies the graphic chips, only announces Full RDNA2 for MS. Sony chipset similar why would they not announce it?

cebri.one

So, if I undestand correctly (I haven't studied this on a long time):
- Having more CUs is okay as long a you have jobs to feed them
- Reducing cache misses and having your caches clocked super high allows for increased effective bandwidth and faster operations
- If you have a lot of CUs but also have a lot of cache misses and lower clocks your CUs are going to be idle quite a lot of time

Good luck having 3rd parties optimizing for XSBX, now I'm beggining to understand all those rumours about devs loving PS5. Is not their dev environment it's the architecture of the console.

Mr Moose

Why would PS5 hardware not be able to fully utilize all of RDNA2 capabilities.? Can you guys not read. AMD who supplies both companies the graphic chips, only announces Full RDNA2 for MS. Sony chipset similar why would they not announce it?

AMD-Radeon-RX-6000-Series-Graphics-Cards_RDNA-2-Big-Navi-GPU-Architecture_9.png

Not a special feature, an advanced feature.
I think you should stop typing about this.

Old Empire.

AMD-Radeon-RX-6000-Series-Graphics-Cards_RDNA-2-Big-Navi-GPU-Architecture_9.png

Not a special feature, an advanced feature.
I think you should stop typing about this.

Raytracing is available on both consoles right now. Not sure what special about it?

Microsoft just calling their ray tracing Direct X raytracing after their API. Like direct x12 graphic driver.

Three other features next to it make it RDNA2

Cock of War

DF has been caught with their panties down and their tools unprepared for next gen, just the same...

Too many things don't add up for this "tools excuse"......

For some reason this feels so relatable on a personal level, can't quite pinpoint as to why.

"Sorry babe, you just went all next-gen on me, and my tools just aren't ready"

🤣🤣🤣
That music 👌
The spittle 👌
"Remember the memories?" 👌👌

Meanwhile I really want to get my hands on a PS5 for Christmas, but seem to be stuck in some north atlantic limbo land where no local retailer has a clue as to whether it will even arrive this year, let alone accept any pre-orders.

Any of my nordic brethren on here have any info? Might be spending the holidays in Denmark (covid permitting, looking more and more unlikely), so small hope I might pick it up there.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sorry you said "So did they just "NOT" play the same games on both consoles then?"

I thought you were talking about multiplatform games here no? That's what my comment was in reference to.

That's what I'm talking about too. If they played both versions I would have thought someone would have caught Valhalla having massive screen tearing on XSX whereas on the PS5 it didn't. Plus, I would have expected them to play the 3rd party games and realized that the TF power difference isn't being displayed in the launch games at all.

So to give the XSX extra credit points for being more "powerful" seems odd looking back.

Well Mark Cerny said the CUs are RDNA2 ones. Plus the hardware based Ray tracing they have is what's in the PC cards. That's what they confirmed that they have from RDNA2. Everything else like the I/O system, geometry engine and cache scrubbers art basically customizations they made.

OH REALLY?

Full RDNA2 you say?

Let me ask you, if Series X is full RDNA2, than why doesn't it have features like infinity cache and fine-grain clock gating (remember Series X is fixed clocks). Both those are on big Navi.

Spoiler alert: They don't.

Also, Series X is still full RDNA2. They just don't have the full feature set. It's not a matter of lying but a matter of stretching the truth. Sony doesn't care and is more concerned with show and don't tell.

Mr Moose

Raytracing is available on both consoles right now. Not sure what special about it?

Microsoft just calling their ray tracing Direct X raytracing after their API. Like direct x12 graphic driver.

Three other features next to it make it RDNA2

AMD RDNA™ 2 architecture is the foundation for next-generation PC gaming graphics, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S and X consoles.

It's not RDNA1, PS5 doesn't use DirectX 12s features which those "three other features" are part of, there's nothing left to say.

Old Empire.

you know Sony removed pieces of their kit, and had custom-designed a lot of their own stuff. full rdna2 means its standardized on the Microsoft side.

The conversation is done dude, not entertaining this anymore of this rubbish.

Knock yourself out with others though, that's what this thread is for.

Custom designed an AMD chip on their own? At what facility did the engineer a full RDNA2 chipset? Why did MS wait for the full RDNA2 from AMD? Nothing you guys say make any sense. Custom requires work at the silicon level.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

Wow , pardon this question but I saw that you were a neo member, are you young?
Because that's a really naive way of thinking.
Do you think custom based RDNA2 means it can't fully utilises it ?Nope it simply means that sony did not use some of its functionalities, sometimes because not needed or sometimes to implement their own features.
Now ask yourself why would sony add their own features that are similar to what is in RDNA2 architecture?
Do you think it is :
A because it cannot use it.
B because they have a better/different solution ?
Now ask yourself another question am I blinded by PR buzzwords?
Because you may not remember it, but when direct X12 was about to come out people and Xbox said it would give the Xbox one a huge advantage over ps4.

It did not happen.

It is not about fully using or not it is about customization that were made to tailor to an vision of the console.Kinda like customed GPUs they can offer different technologies that can be better, worse or similar but aren't always the full version of their architecture.

All of that points to you being either naive, ignorant or worse willingfuly ignorant.
The first 2 are easily excusable we've all been there but if it is the third one, then stop posting you will get destroyed by facts and logic.

Elog

You are really digging yourself a hole. Sony has openly stated that they do culling with their geometry engine (custom made by Sony together with AMD) as well as prioritise shading (i.e. variable shading) instead of using AMDs off-the-shelf solutions. You seem to think that Sony's deliberately chosen customisations are somehow old when in fact they had the full chance to use AMDs off-the-shelf solutions but choose not to.

Is it better? Time will tell but developers are talking fondly about the Sony customisations and the performance so far looks good even though developers have openly stated that it will take some time to fully utilise the new GE features (in other words - we have not seen the full potential yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom