• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are really digging yourself a hole. Sony has openly stated that they do culling with their geometry engine (custom made by Sony together with AMD) as well as prioritise shading (i.e. variable shading) instead of using AMDs off-the-shelf solutions. You seem to think that Sony's deliberately chosen customisations are somehow old when in fact they had the full chance to use AMDs off-the-shelf solutions but choose not to.

Is it better? Time will tell but developers are talking fondly about the Sony customisations and the performance so far looks good even though developers have openly stated that it will take some time to fully utilise the new GE features (in other words - we have not seen the full potential yet).
Even Cerny stated in the holy Road to PS5 that one important aspects they took into account was "Balancing Evolution and Revolution".

Behold what fake RDNA2 looks like.

15ca51902ab31160a5673c34f18d6dc1da71d2e6.gifv

And I'm okay with it.

:messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Custom designed an AMD chip on their own? At what facility did the engineer a full RDNA2 chipset? Why did MS wait for the full RDNA2 from AMD? Nothing you guys say make any sense. Custom requires work at the silicon level.
You must be new here. Let me show you what Sony's role was in the development of Navi. Go ahead. Click away.

Edit: Just in case you don't click I'll spoil it for you. They co-developed it. Mark Cerny literally talks about the process in The Road to PS5.

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
PS5’s Tempest Optimizes Audio Workflows, Says Sumo Digital; Next-Gen Allows Multi-Channel Sound Files

Sony's got the Tempest system that includes the audio coprocessor and it optimises the workflows that you want to do for solving problems like 3D audio, or doing other kinds of digital signal processing (DSP) that you might tend to do in a game.

The sheer amount of memory is a big thing because it means that we're not worrying too much about the sheer amount of content that we're putting in, whereas with the previous gen that's always something that you have to think about. That also means that we can have multi-channel sound files, which on the previous gen is again something that you had to really think about because you can't have too many streams at once.

Because we have more power, that means that we can run more real-time effects and DSP which does open up the window to more creative possibilities. At the moment we're quite restricted with that. We have reverbs, but we don't really get creative with effects.

I would also point out things like convolution reverb. We have more space to use that now as we would have had in the past. There's less risk of a performance hit when we use really high quality reverberation with this next-gen set of hardware.

Old Empire.

You are really digging yourself a hole. Sony has openly stated that they do culling with their geometry engine (custom made by Sony together with AMD) as well as prioritise shading (i.e. variable shading) instead of using AMDs off-the-shelf solutions. You seem to think that Sony's deliberately chosen customisations are somehow old when in fact they had the full chance to use AMDs off-the-shelf solutions but choose not to.

Is it better? Time will tell but developers are talking fondly about the Sony customisations and the performance so far looks good even though developers have openly stated that it will take some time to fully utilise the new GE features (in other words - we have not seen the full potential yet).

It's your big claim removed all this stuff to make their own? What interview was all this said? What dev or studio head said we can have a Full RDNA2 gpu like Microsoft?

Firing shots since the reveal.
R8QDEIl.jpg

"AMD is continuously improving and revising their tech. For RDNA 2, their goals were, roughly speaking, to reduce power consumption by architecting the GPU to put data where it’s needed, to optimise the GPU for performance, and to add a new, more advanced, feature set. But that feature set is malleable, which is to say we have our own needs for PlayStation and that can factor into what the AMD roadmap becomes. So collaboration is formed. If we bring concepts to AMD that are felt to be widely useful, then they can be adopted into RDNA 2 and used broadly, including PC GPUs. If the ideas are sufficiently specific to what we’re trying to accomplish, like the GPU cache scrubbers I was talking about, then they end up being just for us. If you see a similar discrete GPU available as a PC card at roughly the same time as we release our console, that means our collaboration with AMD succeeded in producing technology in both worlds. It doesn’t mean we simply incorporated a PC part into our console.

Last edited:

Old Empire.

you should stop talking lol you're embarassing yourself

II think people who hate playstation or xbox tend to be one console people anyhow. As a PC gamer, xbox owner and playstation owner, i just state facts as i see it.

This threads will get old fast and truth will come out soon enough. PS5 having it glory moment, but will not last. Weaker hardware never outperformed on pc or any console generation ever.

Series would have to broken for the PS5 to be beating it.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Dirt 5 PS5 Haptics Will Be Redone; Dev Says Series X I/O Can Push Over 5GB/s Uncompressed

The developer revealed that the racing game recently released by Codemasters will get an overhaul of the PS5 haptics.

I've seen a lot of people say 'I want to pick up Dirt 5 on PS5 because of the haptics. It's really interesting to me because I've seen a lot of people I hang out with on various forums, and I hang out in the Dirt 5 Discord...I've seen a lot of people say they really like the PS5 haptics. We're not happy with it, so we're going to be revisiting our haptics, even though I've not seen anybody say I hate the haptics in Dirt 5, we are not happy with it so we're going to go back and redo it.

The conversation then veered off towards Xbox Series X and whether Dirt 5 could receive further improvements.

We look at all of these things all of the time. I can't promise which stuff is going to come in future patches, because we have to balance loads of different things, but it might. That's the best I can do. In terms of fast storage on Series X, I think that hardware is great, I worked on it with Microsoft early on and provided some feedback to them. I looked at the speed that we could get from it, you can get 10GB in two seconds in my personal early tests, it may well be able to do way better than that.
And that was without the compression in the hardware, that was just raw.

When asked why Microsoft would advertise the lower 2.4GB/s figure for raw I/O throughput, he explained that's without optimizing for fast storage.

The way to get the most out of fast storage on all platforms is to make many requests at once. You want to load five hundred textures, forget loading one texture, you want to load them all. That then gives some challenges to how you lay out your data. You need to know where they're going to go in memory, you need to know what is it you need before you ask for it. That's a challenge, it's not hardware, it's not the API from Microsoft or Sony, it's an engineering challenge. We're very close, we've done loads of testing, it's not something I'm gonna come to saying it'll come in a patch but it's something I'm very interested in personally.

Last edited:

Raoul_Duke

II think people who hate playstation or xbox tend to be one console people anyhow. As a PC gamer, xbox owner and playstation owner, i just state facts as i see it.

This threads will get old fast and truth will come out soon enough. PS5 having it glory moment, but will not last. Weaker hardware never outperformed on pc or any console generation ever.

It’s called bottlenecked, different from being broken, you are making yourself look like a fool

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Imagine drinking the MS marketing Kool Aid so much that you have to sit there arguing over semantics and pinning your hopes on an SDK update in the future that may realise your fantasies 🤦‍♂️

Just fuckin enjoy your games. If your are so in love with "full RDNA2" and the magic of DX12U, and want to win a pissing contest, then fuck off and build a new PC with an RDNA2 GPU and go and make some comparison videos yourself to make you happy.

Both consoles are powerful (for their price) and both go about it in different ways. I'm sure the tools available for Devs of Xbox games will mature and I hope for your sake they do make a difference over the PS5.

Personally I'm enjoying my XSX, it's a bit buggy, but it's great value for the price. Tomorrow I get my PS5 and I'm super excited for that. I'm lucky I can afford both.

I feel sorry for anybody that has to make a decision one way or the other with regards to getting a next gen console and based that decision on a single on paper performance metric prior to release. They are probably left with extreme buyers guilt and a burning desire that one day their choice will be vindicated. Good luck 👍

Last edited:

Mr Moose

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Imagine drinking the MS marketing Kool Aid so much that you have to sit there arguing over semantics and pinning your hopes on an SDK update in the future may realise your fantasies 🤦‍♂️

Just fuckin enjoy your games. If your are so in love with "full RDNA2" and the magic of DX12U, and want to win a pissing contest, then fuck off and build a new PC with an RDNA2 GPU and go and make some comparison videos yourself to make you happy.

Both consoles are powerful (for their price) and both go about it in different ways. I'm sure the tools available for Devs of Xbox games will mature and I hope for your sake they do make a difference over the PS5.

Personally I'm enjoying my XSX, it's a bit buggy, but it's great value for the price. Tomorrow I get my PS5 and I'm super excited for that. I'm lucky I can afford both.

I feel sorry for anybody that has to make a decision one way or the other with regards to getting a next gen console and based that decision on a single on paper performance metric prior to release. They are probably left with extreme buyers guilt and a burning desire that one day their choice will be vindicated. Good luck 👍
Nice post, it's good to read those from time to time.

8BiTw0LF

Banned

Jesus Christ, dude... You would just not take a hint, when multiple people in here, told you to shut up, for your own good. You heard 12TF and full RDNA2 and went full retard about it.

geordiemp geordiemp can you teach this padawan about cache scrubbers, higher clock rates, benefits of variable clock rates and custom chips in general. You are way better at it than me.

Old Empire.

Well if there's something wrong with the hardware it's too late to fix it.

Anyways if the XSX is around 50% more powerful like Colt says then the games will prove it. It's only a question of when.

All the games coming out now are builds from two years ago. They're not truly designed for next gen hardware. Middle or late next year i expect Xbox to shine. Devs will have enough time with it. Since we compare performance PS5 doing better right now, and that's cool and good for early buyers, but realistically very unlikely that performance delta will last.

I still shocked we getting 120fps this early, both consoles are beasts at this early stage. Either way majority of gamers don't care about slight frame differences. At this early stage PS5 has the lead. Resolution has parity and if that lasts PS5 owners will have little to complain about!

All the games coming out now are builds from two years ago. They're not truly designed for next gen hardware. Middle or late next year i expect Xbox to shine. Devs will have enough time with it. Since we compare performance PS5 doing better right now, and that's cool and good for early buyers, but realistically very unlikely that performance delta will last.

I still shocked we getting 120fps this early, both consoles are beasts at this early stage. Either way majority of gamers don't care about slight frame differences. At this early stage PS5 has the lead. Resolution has parity and if that lasts PS5 owners will have little to complain about!
Lots of people have responded to your nonsense. Still waiting for a rebuttal to anything I, or most, of what everyone's been saying to you. Clearly this is just to troll at this point, but it does push us closer to 4000 pages so that's cool.

Is he though? Or is he just someone talking to passionate Xbox fans? What's an xbox fanboy anyway? Are you not supposed to like Xbox? He's still a developer and still had friends in the industry.

AMD confirmed the MS GPU was full RDNA2. AMD confirmed no such thing for Sony. Chris comment is reasonable under the assumption Sony still using old tech mostly? The tools are already giving them the performance boost.
It was said that the ps5 rdna2 could compete with a gpu with 12 Teraflops on GCN. It seems that's what we're seeing.

Raoul_Duke

I think you should unsubscribe to colteaswood, not good for your health

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Damn, so he confirms that PS5 is using V-Sync, which has an FPS penalty on PS5 in favor of avoiding tearing, yet it's much more stable both resolution and FPS! Without PS5's V-Sync and with unlocked framerates the difference is going to be staggering if it's already 15% average with more than 30% max (as in one point it was running 1440p on XSX and 1720p on PS5, so it's not a clean cut).

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I am going to take a bait, but I feel this type of stuff is pretty shitty. Yeah I know that the feeling of satisfaction is great, but tagging users is bit much for me. But obviously I could be wrong. I have said this multiple times. I always target whole group and not people personally.

But someone from that group told me that I am undercover PS shill, while having same time of post which bashed another user. So I don't feel much symphaty in one provided example : D
Shill.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
At this point, I'm pretty sure Phil spent 7.5 billion on Bethesda just to "prove" multiplats can run better on XSX.
"Guys, I'm going to need you to drop the resolution and maybe a frame or two".
You do know their CFO literally came out and said that they will release bethesda games on other platforms as long as they play best on the xsx. so yes, they have already admitted that they will gut the ps5 version before they release it.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's not true look at the perf between AMD and Nvidia and ratio between TF and in-game performance.
That's been factually wrong.
nah, comparing turing vs rdna 1.0 tflops, they were pretty much on par.

the reason for the disparity was that nvidia used to undereport their clocks. that made the gap in performance much much worse. for example, for the rtx 2080, they said their base clock was 1515 mhz and boost was 1710+. they gave their tflop figure based on the 1550-1710 mhz clock. So 8.9-10 tflops. but in game it sits between 1.95-2.0 ghz without any kind of overclocking. at those clocks, they are actually 11.4 tflops on average.

Benchmarks for the 5700xt prove that on game clocks, the 5700xt is actually 9.3 tflops and the 2070 was 9.1 tflops and they were pretty much on par.
Not even remotely true.
what? of course it is. look at the tflops difference between the ps4 and xbox one? i remember getting into a lot of fights at the start of this gen because people refused to believe the 40% tflops difference would amount to a 900p vs 1080p gap. ps4 pro and x1x also had a similar 40% difference which resulted in 40% more pixels. there were always rare scenarios like cod ghosts and rdr2 but overall the difference in tflops has always resulted in average performance boosts for the same generation and architecture of cards.

I wonder if XsX could add some boost/variable clock profiles, in the future for devs to choose. Been enjoying the memes and fanboy rage.

I have both consoles so I’d hope the XsX can some day GET ITS BALLS BACK.

214711.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom