• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Holy shit they really moved it to some "Show More" button lol

I was looking around for a link... I swear it used to be a link at the end of the truncated description.

Really appreciate it; this is the kind of content I prefer.
Yeap I realized after I write... I’m on mobile so it is a arrow on right.
You are in PC? It is the show more button/link.

aclar00

What benefit wold there be for another teardown? We have at least 4 in the wild (Sony, Austin guy, and 2 fixers, one of which actually re-applied a new coat of liquid metal).

At this stage I am waiting for electron gun shots of the PS5 APU and the 2 other Sony chips on the board (the SSD controller and the "southbridge" or what it actually really is).

My layman's request was meant to convey a request to find out what we dont already know. Also, just messing with Dan. If your microscope method would inform us more then somebody do it!

Garani

My layman's request was meant to convey a request to find out what we dont already know. Also, just messing with Dan. If your microscope method would inform us more then somebody do it!
It will happen, just give it time. We had it for the PS4 and PS4Pro, we'll have it for PS5 in due time. Just have faith :)

So Tom Warren just deleted this famous tweet

EnADU2dWMAUHBZ7

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
So Tom Warren just deleted this famous tweet

EnADU2dWMAUHBZ7

It's a shame that leading up to this generation the term "teraflop" got thrown around so much and to no avail, if we're being honest both sides were to blame imho more so team green especially in recent months.

But what annoyed me more was when credible (relatively speaking) journalists started to adopt the term as well, like "sustained teraflops", "variable teraflops", "full teraflops", "unlocking and utilising all the teraflops", from a technical and hardware/software engineering perspective this was just so stupid. We actually had notable developers and programmers calling out a lot of this "tekaflop talk" and how it's never been used as a reliable performance metric of a system ever.

But I see why it spread like wildfire, it's an easy to understand and simple fallacy to fall for, "12 is bigger than 10 ergo 10 must be weaker or less capable."

I could understand now why Cory Barlog and others were trolling everyone who kept using that word lol

if you live in the states check IN STORE at GameStop on Black Friday they open at 7am.

They reserved some stock for people without Pre-orders? The moment pre-orders opened I tried to reserve one but it was impossible for me.

Edited to add: Be first in line as some stores allocation is literally 2 units. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Oh shit that sounds like it's going to be impossible for me then.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Just got my PS5, as an Xbox fan...I have trouble adjusting to the UI but OMG that controller is just wow the hype was real!!!! Downloading MM as a write this. Can’t wait!
Congrats!

TBiddy TBiddy you’re a straight shooter and an astute observer, how’s the Xbox community travelling with the recent performance outcomes between the next gen platforms?

Last edited:

Oddspeak

As of yesterday, I'm part of the Week One Club. Not Day One like last gen, unfortunately, but I consider myself lucky to get one so soon at all, considering how insanely quick stock has been running out.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales got here with the console, and Demon's Souls came in today. Holding off on DMC5SE for the physical edition coming December 1.

Also, my Demon's Souls got here with a cracked case, so I solved this issue by switching it out with the case of another game. Sorry, Metro Exodus.

Last edited:
So the Github leak showed 36 CUs, right? Sony doubled the compute units from 18 CUs in the PS4 to 36 CUs for PS4 Pro within 3 years of OG PS4's launch and they did that for a console that's very much a part of the PS4 family, it's not even next-gen. And I remember that Cerny telling Gamasutra as well as Digital Foundry that he still believed in console generations when Pro was launched. So the man who still believes in console generations -- do you think he will launch a next-gen PS5, with brand new GPU, CPU architectures, after 4 years of PS4 Pro's launch... Again with the same 36 CU GPU? Something doesn't add up here. And I'm astonished that even Richard from DF didn't question the 36 CU leak for PS5 and ran with it for multiple videos.

An old comment but perfectly reflects the sentiments exactly thay I had earlier in the year. I feel pretty stupid assuming that 36 CUs would be a disaster for Sony. After the recent comparisons I learned that while the PS5 has 36 CUs they are much better than the CUs in the PS4 Pro. And combine that with a Zen 2 CPU gives you a big boost to peformance. Seeing games run extremely well on the PS5 really shows me how silly I was to believe all those crazy rumors earlier in the year.

JonkyDonk

An old comment but perfectly reflects the sentiments exactly thay I had earlier in the year. I feel pretty stupid assuming that 36 CUs would be a disaster for Sony. After the recent comparisons I learned that while the PS5 has 36 CUs they are much better than the CUs in the PS4 Pro. And combine that with a Zen 2 CPU gives you a big boost to peformance. Seeing games run extremely well on the PS5 really shows me how silly I was to believe all those crazy rumors earlier in the year.
I was also somewhat questioning those leaks but I was just ignorant of the full picture. Not only are the CUs larger, more efficient and running much faster, but the entire system architecture allows them to be utilized more effectively. And anyway, the GPU was the least of the problems from last gen, there were much more important upgrades to be made to the CPU and storage. The lesson here is that we shouldn't doubt Cerny and his hardware team at Sony, they know a thing or two about building good consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom