• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dibils2k

The content has changed because these are new consoles at more or less identical performance points. Even last gen their output was a waste of time just used for warring and little else.

DF hasn't produced a H2H for ACV yet, so that is no use to you regardless.

VGTech had their simple video and a handy summary sheet out 2 days ago. If DF wasn't wasting time developing their opinions on the raw data, their comparison may have been out already.

This gen will be even more boring than last for pixel counters. It,s just console warriors who are trying to eek out "wins" - and DF is courting that crowd.
yeah H2H is boring nowadays if you are a fanboy... not to me and many others, as i said you get more from them just "this version is better". Also you need to realize, yes "small difference" dont matter if you can only get one version... no one will miss out if you are only on one console this gen BUT as someone who owns both, i would rather play the better version however minor

regardibg VALHALLA H2H, thats why i said i "wait for their H2H", eventhough i know one part of the performance doesnt mean video is useless, as it offers more

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
ITT: People who literally just record footage with a frame counter on screen produce videos faster than people who come up with a bunch of shit to say, this proves the conspiracy theory that those people are biased fanboys and/or paid shills.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I wouldn't begrudge paying that for certain games but certainly not with the way they are doing it.

A 3year remake of Demons Souls no matter how good (even if it had RT) - and it is amazing - isn't value at £70 for someone that keeps their games when the original has been as low £1.99 IIRC on PSN as a download, and the current one will be devalued by them too, because the £70 is to offset those that trade games, so actual owners get a worse deal.

Take Spidey ultimate edition, nothing wrong with the price IMHO on Ps5, and then you realise they've put the game at a DLC length on a disc, and are providing shitty worthless digital code for the GotY RT enhanced PS5 version of the full length epic game. If they are too cheap to put out a proper ultimate pack with game discs worth £70 for all of us that paid extra for a PS5 with disc drive, then their whole strategy looks poor value compared to a £53 copy of ACV IMHO.

bitbydeath

Were there not many more articles about Sony being ahead with Dev kits and tools? I remember a few dumb posts about Sony being behind but the overwhelming majority was that Xbox was behind and Sony was ahead. You are pushing a narrative to be petty and keep an argument going. Accept your win and move on.

Ahead just means better.
They’re not comparable to a point where you could assign values and say one is 50% and the other is 70%.

The tools were also just updated this year for the console launch to DX12 Ultimate.

DX13 is at best 3 years away, most probably longer.

The next tool update is actually in Sonys favour once devs start using Oodle Texture probably mid-late next year.

ToadMan

Those guys asked us to wait H2H, but now it is boring all of a sudden. What's happening? "lollipop_disappointed:

The H2Hs are boring if you're focused on the outcome - the outcome is an imperceptible difference in performance for mulitplats. So yeah, it's boring - no real reason to choose one version over the other.

The tiny differences are console war fodder though, but they're of no consequence for anything else. imo anyway.

In gens gone past, those differences might have been enough to sway a purchase decision. These days, nah.

welshrat

So the latest firmware for PS5, has it fixed the external storage issue with rest mode ? Only asking as mine will arrive on Thursday and wondering if I should leave rest mode alone for the time being ? Also bought a 1TB external ssd for PS4 games and have moved warzone, Bf5 etc over, cant believe what a difference it made to asset streaming, wish I had don eit years ago.

Last edited:

ToadMan

I wouldn't begrudge paying that for certain games but certainly not with the way they are doing it.

A 3year remake of Demons Souls no matter how good (even if it had RT) - and it is amazing - isn't value at £70 for someone that keeps their games when the original has been as low £1.99 IIRC on PSN as a download, and the current one will be devalued by them too, because the £70 is to offset those that trade games, so actual owners get a worse deal.

Take Spidey ultimate edition, nothing wrong with the price IMHO on Ps5, and then you realise they've put the game at a DLC length on a disc, and are providing shitty worthless digital code for the GotY RT enhanced PS5 version of the full length epic game. If they are too cheap to put out a proper ultimate pack with game discs worth £70 for all of us that paid extra for a PS5 with disc drive, then their whole strategy looks poor value compared to a £53 copy of ACV IMHO.

Personally I think UKP70 at release is justified even now.

Between currency inflation, lifecycle cost increases, and the greater scale of producing high quality content, I'd say that is a reasonable figure and I'd happily pay it if the quality and schedule can be maintained.

It's like the old truism - you can have a product fast, cheap or good - pick 2 options.

I'll take fast and good.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So the latest firmware for PS5, has it fixed the external storage issue with rest mode ? Only asking as mine will arrive on Thursday and wondering if I should leave rest mode alone for the time being ?
It is hard to tell because most didn't have the issue to begin with.
Some GAFers that reported the issue seems to be fine after the firmware.

You will need to try and make your own tests.

Last edited:

Garani

Looks ok, but nasty pop ins everywhere. But love the feel of scale while turning around, I've never seen a game that dense as a city.

Why the fuck it's shown in 1080p? What are they hiding? Is it still fresh (processing 4K)?

Looks good overall, but not impressive nor next gen, neither on PC.
Yeah, well, where's the RT? After Spiderman, if there is no RT, it's a trash game on next gen.

Zheph

So the latest firmware for PS5, has it fixed the external storage issue with rest mode ? Only asking as mine will arrive on Thursday and wondering if I should leave rest mode alone for the time being ? Also bought a 1TB external ssd for PS4 games and have moved warzone, Bf5 etc over, cant believe what a difference it made to asset streaming, wish I had don eit years ago.

aclar00

It will definitely be a PS4 title, as much as I'd love for it to be PS5 only, judging miles Morales differences and hopefully horizon shows the same I don't think it's as big a deal for the blockbusters, we are getting Ratchet PS5 only so it's not as if Sony aren't creating any games that fully utilise the SSD for game design.

I hope the team said "screw you Jim, we have huge plans for the sequel and arent going to be held back by a HDD again..."

One can dream. but i imagine the HDD is what caused the team to retool their ideas and start over...hence the 5 year development cycle. If there isnt a change in the formula at all then we may just see a prettier sequel minus the Limbo loading screens. While not bad, its still not great.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
ITT: People who literally just record footage with a frame counter on screen produce videos faster than people who come up with a bunch of shit to say, this proves the conspiracy theory that those people are biased fanboys and/or paid shills.
You mean like this?

nU9gEIo.png

toUpB16.png

SlimySnake

Not trying to insult the work; it's useful stuff and never said otherwise.
I have defended DF here many times, but taking 6 days to do one comparison is bizarre to say the least. I get that they do voice overs and look at stuff more than just framerates, but it doesnt take 5 days to do a voice over.

We still dont have a Watch Dogs or CoD comparison either.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

They need to test the southern camps. That’s where my Pro struggled to stay at 30FPS.
What part of the game is that? Towards the end?

I'm past the first part of the game where you ride to Iron Mike's or whatever, working through that area now.

So far it has been buttery smooth to me... but honestly not sure I've paid particular attention during any specific situation... I don't really know how far I am. I previously had played the game up until the next "music playing in the background as you ride to the next area" segment... and had no clue how far that was lol

Last edited:

SlimySnake

They need to test the southern camps. That’s where my Pro struggled to stay at 30FPS.
I went to both camps there the other day. its a rock solid 60 fps now.

The issue wasnt with the framerate, it was really really bad stuttering that just randomly came out of nowhere. Some of the bigger hordes in the southern region were always a locked 30 fps for me and yet randomly driving through an empty road would cause the entire game to stutter like crazy. i drove around for a good 15 minutes and fast traveled to both camps and did not see any issues. The patch notes said that they finally fixed those issues.

I'm past the first part of the game where you ride to Iron Mike's or whatever, working through that area now.

So far it has been buttery smooth to me... but honestly not sure I've paid particular attention during any specific situation... I don't really know how far I am. I previously had played the game up until the next "music playing in the background as you ride to the next area" segment... and had no clue how far that was lol

you are still very early in the game. i'd say around 30% or so. its a very long game.

the issue he's talking about happens in the camp after iron mikes and its bizarre to say the least. i didnt have any issues until i upgraded my bike and I was a 100% convinced that my bike going faster than usual caused some kind of memory leak. the framerate during massive 1000 zombie hordes never dipped so the game is clearly capable of running.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Yep, near the end. South of Iron Mikes, it won’t unlock until you get further in the story.

Edit: I think reaching Iron Mikes is about the halfway point of the game. It’s a long game.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

The performance is great with decent sized hordes on PS5. Although as mentioned I'm in the earlier part of the game I think so maybe haven't seen a "huge" horde yet.. but it's insanely smooth on PS5 all around. They are glitchy though if you pay attention; when they get moderately far off from you or around certain objects there's weird clipping here or there, but overall the presentation of the number of zombies + the smoothness + the sound makes for an awesome experience.. of course the game is awesome on PS4 Pro now too.. so there's that.

IntentionalPun

you are still very early in the game. i'd say around 30% or so. its a very long game.

the issue he's talking about happens in the camp after iron mikes and its bizarre to say the least. i didnt have any issues until i upgraded my bike and I was a 100% convinced that my bike going faster than usual caused some kind of memory leak. the framerate during massive 1000 zombie hordes never dipped so the game is clearly capable of running.

Interesting; thanks, and thanks bitbydeath bitbydeath as well.

I just got to the "next camp" after Mike's previously and quit.. wanted to start over on PS5 and haven't quite made it back to that part yet.

It felt like it was getting towards the final third of the game to me at that point but that was just me guessing, you never really know with a game sometimes how close to the end you are lol

Last edited:

Garani

Paul...damnit, Dan I mean...is RGT going to do a PS5 motherboard teardown? Not sure if he'd want to void the warrany for that.
What benefit wold there be for another teardown? We have at least 4 in the wild (Sony, Austin guy, and 2 fixers, one of which actually re-applied a new coat of liquid metal).

At this stage I am waiting for electron gun shots of the PS5 APU and the 2 other Sony chips on the board (the SSD controller and the "southbridge" or what it actually really is).

ethomaz

Banned
What exactly am I missing here? I am looking right at the Days Gone video here and there's barely anything in the description:

snpR4vL.png

In the title there is arrow on the right that opens the description fo any YT video.

Edit - In your case it is the Show More button I guess... I’m on mobile.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

In the title there is arrow on the right that opens the description fo any YT video.
Holy shit they really moved it to some "Show More" button lol

I was looking around for a link... I swear it used to be a link at the end of the truncated description.

Really appreciate it; this is the kind of content I prefer. I was thinking basically "60 locked" from my experience, and it seems to essentially hold true with their data, at least from the portion of the game they analyzed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom