• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

assurdum

Banned
Man hope to be wrong but I'm starting to consider if capcom has real problem with their engine on ps5 and not just a rumour. RE8 for example is turned recently to 30fps dynamic 4k when it was planned initially 60 fps native 4K and now DMC SE is like this; can't avoid to feel a bit worried about them.

Last edited:

HoofHearted

It's an update from the Nishino interview.

"In terms of compatibility, it is important to move PS4 titles on PS5, but I have insisted that forward compatibility (supplying the same titles as PS5 to PS4) is important," Nishino said.

"The current assumption is that the transition from PS4 to PS5 will take about three years. In the meantime, how can I keep buying games on PS4? Can the purchased games be played on PS5? That is important."

"At a certain time, we ask developers to develop on the premise of "cross generation" of PS4 and PS5. Of course, we also need to improve the library to make it easier."

An early version of this plan has already been laid out with games like Spider-Man Miles Morales and Horizon: Forbidden West releasing both on PS4 and PS5.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7614....it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=tweaktown

Gotta say - not surprised at these comments.. From a pure business perspective - you can't shut down the influx of money too soon.. It'll be a balancing act for at least the next year or two...

The PlayStation 5 consumes much more power than the PlayStation 4

NEbeast

Digital foundry has shown the ps5 uses less power than the pro, where is this coming from?

Mr Moose

It's almost like it's a more powerful console than the ones that came before it. The Pro can go above 170W, the PS5 on the same games (BC) uses less power.
To put that 200 watts into perspective, God of War on the latest CUH-7200 PS4 Pro draws about 170 watts, and it's actually nudging 177W on a launch Pro.

Power ConsumptionPlayStation 5PlayStation 4 Pro
Power Off1.3W1.5W
Rest Mode (Network Disabled)1.5W5W
Rest Mode (Downloading Game)36W50W
Front End (Idle)47W63W
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (Peak)203WTBC
Rise of the Tomb Raider (Peak, 30fps cap)107W147W
Knack (Peak, unlocked fps, PS5 locks to 60fps)135W148W

???

Of course it does. What the fuck lol

Wtf seriously 😐

Dat Velocity Architecture.

Last edited:
Shit, I wonder if my C7 can run this at what I'm assuming is 1080p... My wife will have my balls if I even think about replacing our OLEDs now I was really hoping to wait another couple years before I replaced my C7s.
Honestly, i don't see its being worth to upgrade. Only crossgen games (and indie games) will have 4K 120. Mid next gen it will become more rare. I own a LG C8 and my parents got a CX recently. I can tell you, the image quality is literally the same. And your TV supports 120hz @ 1080p anyway, so you are only missing out on the 4K resolution. Unless you really want to upgrade, just for HDMI 2.1, i would recommend only upgrading if you got a severe burn in/tv defect or you want something better. And as of now, there is no better TV than OLED. And 8K OLED tvs are pretty expensive. Better wait for Micro LED or 8K Tvs getting affordable.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's not that Nishino his saying in this interview. He is saying that he expect most of the peoples will transition from the PS4 to the PS5 in three years, so in the meantime they have to make sure that the games peoles buy on PS4 should work on PS5.

At a certain point in time, they asked developers to develop games based on the assumption that they will be cross-gen between PS4 and PS5. He never say that the Sony games will be cross-gen for the next three years.

Their translation is strange.

OH THANK GOD!!!!

RaZoR No1

I know that, I was obviously joking.
44f975ec-c72c-4f87-8559-49faa51544b0-m.jpg

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

Comparison with laptops? Really?

LucidFlux

Honestly, i don't see its being worth to upgrade. Only crossgen games (and indie games) will have 4K 120. Mid next gen it will become more rare. I own a LG C8 and my parents got a CX recently. I can tell you, the image quality is literally the same. And your TV supports 120hz @ 1080p anyway, so you are only missing out on the 4K resolution. Unless you really want to upgrade, just for HDMI 2.1, i would recommend only upgrading if you got a severe burn in/tv defect or you want something better. And as of now, there is no better TV than OLED. And 8K OLED tvs are pretty expensive. Better wait for Micro LED or 8K Tvs getting affordable.

Yep I agree. My current plan is still waiting for Micro LED. I also just had the 55" C7's panel replaced so it's basically brand new ( I had a factory defect where a rectangular test pattern appeared after the 4k hour pixel refresher ran. Apparently some panels weren't left to cool completely before factory calibration. Luckily LG replaced it for free.) Our 65" in the family room is still perfect so not looking to replace that one any time soon.

The thing is while the C7 can technically run 1080p @120hz, it cannot with HDR or at least it doesn't run properly and uses the SDR gamma curve according to RTings. That said I'm perfectly content with 4k60 and working HDR for now. We'll see what happens throughout the generation.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

You can both use more power and be more power efficient at the same time.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Sony PlayStation 5 sells for three times its retail price in China as Covid-19 leads to shortages of new video game consoles

The PS5 officially goes on sale on November 12 in six markets, including North America and Japan, with launches elsewhere on November 19. But China did not make the cut for either release, owing to a tightly regulated gaming market that has long kept games and consoles out of the country or resulted in late releases.

This has led to the standard PS5, which retails for US$500 in the US, to start showing up on e-commerce site JD.com for three to four times its original price, with listings going as high as 12,888 yuan (US$1,950). The incredible mark-up is partially the result of the Covid-19 pandemic, which is expected to make it difficult for avid gamers to get new consoles this year.

China is the gift that keeps on giving. NOT!

On the 65B7 myself, which was ridiculously priced compared to the current models. Going to be hard to not add a 48” cx to the mix.

4k/60/HDR is fantastic already, I’d mostly be interested in VRR/ALM personally.

Rob_27

So it would seem there is no 3D Blu Ray playback yet. Nothing in the menu that I can see. Worked on one x but the disc won't play in series x. Annoying.

Stooky

Shit, I wonder if my C7 can run this at what I'm assuming is 1080p... My wife will have my balls if I even think about replacing our OLEDs now I was really hoping to wait another couple years before I replaced my C7s.
Should be good. Just can’t do 4k 120. I just upgraded c7 to cx.

The only difference i can see, is that the PS5 is somehow more vibrant. Don't get me wrong, both version look identical in terms of graphics. But the Series X version is kinda dark compared to the PS5 version. We will need an in depth analysis of that from DF.

Mr Moose

It's not the best capture quality, I'll try and see what I can get from the video to compare between the two screenshot-wise. Using a video editing program I've never used before so might take a bit to get used to :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Sony expects the transition from PS4 to PS5 to last 3 years, and many games will be intergenerational

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom