• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Infinity Cache on the PS5, until die shots start coming out, i am just going to side on it not existing based on the following guy's explaination honestly.

Check out the thread if you want. just don't give them shit, one of the people that's actually sensible and willing to explain his thoughts completely.

Didn't even read it but I don't think it does either.

LucidFlux

On a serious note. If you have a genuine interest in learning a GPUs workload throughout the time it takes to render a single frame, how various parts of the GPU bottleneck each other and limit performance check out this Nvidia blog post:

Wdn58i2.png

SM is referring to Nvidia's Stream Multiprocessors, L2 Cach hits and so on.

No GPU is doing work at 100% efficiency, or calculating 100% of the time while rendering a single frame. So why wouldn't you run the GPU at full boost while it does have meaningful work to complete and step it down when it's idling anyway or is completing a task that it can finish within the frame target at a lower clock. Thereby saving on wasted power (generating less heat) and moving that power if needed to the CPU ala smartshift.

assurdum

Banned
Wow. Of course a 14TF sustained xbox would be better than a variable one that downclocks. Obviously we can't have a proper discussion if you don't have a basic grasp of how cpu and gpu works. Im out morons.
You have a minimal idea of what you are talking about? The point of variable clocks it's to squeeze out more than a substained clocks, genius . Grow up for the fuck sake. He talks of basic grasp, unbelievable

Last edited:

GreyHand23

Dead-ass, I'm boycotting any next-gen footage that isn't captured in 4k. I don't want to pass judgement on anything until I at least see it at full resolution.

1080p streams on Youtube really hurt people's impressions of game graphics. The compression is so bad that it's closer to 720p or 900p in reality, plus many people won't see HDR either. In some ways I like this because when I actually start up Demon's Souls for instance, I know it will look much better than the videos, but the average consumer doesn't really take these things into account. Watching Ratchet and Clank as it was streamed in the Gamescom show vs the 4k youtube version after was crazy how extreme of a difference there was so I agree that we should hold off a bit, unless it's obvious that the game wouldn't look good no matter how high the resolution is. Animations for instance won't be better just because the video is higher quality.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
People are too caught up in clocks and is this image ray traced or not.

I havent followed the XSX near as much especially the last few days (mainly from not feeling well among other things) but this next gen is a massive upgrade.

Does Demon Souls have RT?

Who gives a shit have you seen the videos coming out for it?

Especially for pure console gamers the SSDs in these things will blow you away.

Stop fighting and just take it all in whats coming.

McHuj

On Infinity Cache on the PS5, until die shots start coming out, i am just going to side on it not existing based on the following guy's explaination honestly.

Check out the thread if you want. just don't give them shit, one of the people that's actually sensible and willing to explain his thoughts completely.

I don't think there would be much benefit from an Infinity Cache on PS5 or XSX. For their target performance levels, they have sufficient BW from DDR. Infinity Cache is something very likely utilized on the Pro models (if there are any). Infinity cache would allow Sony/MS to double the performance of the console (2x TF) while maintaining the current memory bus setup. RX6800XT already looks like what a first cut PS5Pro GPU would be.

renx

I havent followed the XSX near as much especially the last few days (mainly from not feeling well among other things) but this next gen is a massive upgrade.

Completely agreed. And it will be that way in just a few days.
But we are at the speculation stage, trying to find out about "secret sauces". It's inevitable.
Developers have hinted about PS5 being "special", "surprising", "most exciting hardware in the last 20 years".
So people want to see if there's something else other than the great IO speed and the dualsense.

Last edited:

HAL-01

That's how all CPUs and gpus have worked for the last 15 years isn't it? The reason ps5 doesn't sustain it's stated clocks is because it would become to loud the choice made years ago to stick with 36 CU's has forced them to run clocks the design cannot handle, thus the varying clocks. Plain and simple.
I see you’ve come up with your own little theory based on nothing but a poor understanding of computers

Varying clocks can be better than a “full 10tf at all times” because neither console runs at 10tf at all times
Teraflops are not a measure of sustained performance. It’s not a measure at all actually. It’s a theoretical maximum number. Similarly to how cars have a “top speed” that they’d never actually reach in real world use.

What prevents machines from reaching the higher end of their potential performance is 1. Power budget and 2. Thermals, along with a number of other variables.
The variable clocks solution of the ps5 allows the system to redirect more power to whichever processor has a heavier load at any given time. This way, higher performance is achieved by wasting less power than with a fixed solution.

Also a funny thing I’ve noticed, somehow people believe the PS5, with its 350 watt PSU, won’t be able to deliver enough power to maintain clocks on its 10tf gpu, but they see no problem with the XSX being able to maintain a locked 12tf on a 315 watt PSU. Just a funny thought

buenoblue

What a stupid logic. So why CPU has less core the last 15 years, why frequency stay lower on GPU why infinity cache wasn't a thing...is that the logic you want to use? So if series X was 14 TF with variable clock would be worse?

Wow. Of course a 14TF sustained xbox would be better than a variable one that downclocks. Obviously we can't have a proper discussion if you don't have a basic grasp of how cpu and gpu works. Im out morons.

Nowcry

I don't think there would be much benefit from an Infinity Cache on PS5 or XSX. For their target performance levels, they have sufficient BW from DDR. Infinity Cache is something very likely utilized on the Pro models (if there are any). Infinity cache would allow Sony/MS to double the performance of the console (2x TF) while maintaining the current memory bus setup. RX6800XT already looks like what a first cut PS5Pro GPU would be.
However, I think that INF.Cache adapts very well to the vision that Sony has to achieve REYES, a processing without latencies and without high data transfer.

I think Sony cannot afford a 128MB cache and put the console at 399 Euros, but I think we will see some amount of ESRAM and some cache controlled by cache and coherence correctors, to try to approach that vision without having to sacrifice the 399 $ which I think was also his goal.

I'm very curious to see the PS5 Hotchip and see what Cerny has been thinking about.

I see you’ve come up with your own little theory based on nothing but a poor understanding of computers

Varying clocks can be better than a “full 10tf at all times” because neither console runs at 10tf at all times
Teraflops are not a measure of sustained performance. It’s not a measure at all actually. It’s a theoretical maximum number. Similarly to how cars have a “top speed” that they’d never actually reach in real world use.

What prevents machines from reaching the higher end of their potential performance is 1. Power budget and 2. Thermals, along with a number of other variables.
The variable clocks solution of the ps5 allows the system to redirect more power to whichever processor has a heavier load at any given time. This way, higher performance is achieved by wasting less power than with a fixed solution.

Also a funny thing I’ve noticed, somehow people believe the PS5, with its 350 watt PSU, won’t be able to deliver enough power to maintain clocks on its 10tf gpu, but they see no problem with the XSX being able to maintain a locked 12tf on a 315 watt PSU. Just a funny thought

I think the question you should ask him is:

If I sell you a GPU of 10 variable TFLOPS and I charge you $ 400 and I sell you a GPU of 10 fixed Tflops and I charge you $ 500.
Knowing that in the reviews they render absolutely the same without any difference, which one would you buy?

Thinking about the answer will make you understand what we are talking about.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Yes, there is no room for a 128 MB L3, we all know that.

What we dont know if what excatly is infinity cache ? Is it 128 MB L3 ?

If Ps5 has some form of shared L1 between arrays (takes up 4 mm2 on ps5) and say 8 or 16 MB L2 ? That is possible, do we call that infinity cache lite or something else ?

Ps5 wont have any L3, it might have shared L1 and L2 a bit bigger than 4MB if your lucky but too hard to calculate at this time.

So correct there is no large L3, but it is incorrect to say no infinity cache without defining what infinity cache is.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Not winning GOTY awards/being a Metacritic marvel != Shovelware. That's all I am trying to say.

Some of my fondest memories in gaming were spent playing games like Halo 3, Rainbow Six Vegas, Dark Souls, Friday the 13th but none of them sweeped the GOTY awards.

Depends on your tastes. I am getting both consoles as I know I will get those amazing GOTY-worthy single-player experiences on PS5, but I still have just as much fun playing the more multiplayer-focused XGS games.

Ok, shovelware was strong, but there are no Xbox exclusives. Remember that, I was addressing the claims of 20+ studios and Gears Tactics being a launch game (LOL)

RaySoft

Isn't it kinda crazy implementing a huge cache, like Infinity Cache, without scrubbers or coherency?
I mean, if something changes all cache needs to be flushed since you can't pinpoint the affected data, effectively stalling everything else.
It only gets worse the bigger the cache is. I haven't seen any mentioning of these "intelligent" scrubbers in RDNA2?

geordiemp

PS5 does not have infinity cache. This speculation is getting silly. If they had it they would have announced it, or been mentioned in the announcement from AMD

You dont even know what infinty cache is first. Its a marketing term and has not been defined yet,

Is it shared L1 cache amongst shader arrays ?

Is it a big L3 cache which also gives a bandwidth boost ?

Is it a shared L1 cache plus a bigger complimentary L2 or L3 ?

Shared L1 costs 0.09 mm2 per CU I recall. Bigger L2 and L3 are out of the question on ps5 by more than 8 MB IMO.

Last edited:

Zadom

You keep circling around trying to defend a non-existent argument.

PC GPUs and CPUs have had variable frequencies for over a decade. If it was better, they wouldn't have it.

As for smartshift, it improves the baseline efficiency for your hardware. Read

An article about smartshift that may be out of date: (thanks geordiemp fir pointing that out)

Last edited:

geordiemp

Another good article:

Not really, do you think thats a good artucle, its very out of date..

If you watched the AMD RDNA2 presentation last week it explained the Big Navi has pervasive frequency gate control -

What that means is allot of the block logic of the die can have their own frequency.

Sound familiar ? Its called RDNA2 CUs.

RasAlGhoul

A lot of people simply can’t enjoy this hobby.

saintjules

Agreed. The loading times is actually what I'm looking forward to. What gets annoying is dying and then waiting to load back into a game. Knowing that it's almost a blink of an eye to respawn is game changing. I had to stop playing Control because it would take forever to get back into the game.

Scaddon

Neo Member
Does anyone believe that the ps5 could be pushed forward a week because of the lockdown? Or is it just twitter believing one person and getting aroused?

History does matter, why would Sony keep smaller studios than Bluepoint and Housemarque in house then? Sony has shown time and time again that they are willing to grow their studios. Bend just did that and there are the rumours of the new San Diego studio derived from the VASG. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Pixelopus was cooking something bigger than Concrete Genius while being true to their culture.
Huh? Pixelopus is one dud from being closed. What are you even saying History doesnt matter at all. ZERO.

PaintTinJr

But surely running at 10.23 TF at all times if needed would be better? I don't get how varying clocks in a predictable manner could be better than the full 10.23 TF at all times.
Full CU utilisation in a synthetic workload (even for the tiny period it would get close) produces X heat, and requires Y power at fixed clock 1, and in this situation both X and Y are much larger than what can be cooled and the power that can be supplied in a console.

The current gen consoles predict real-maximum utilisations expected by end of a generation - less than half full from Cerny's "doing well if hitting 40%" quote - so adequate power and cooling is provided to meet those predictions, and will have console firmware shut the device down if the thermal range and power usage are exceeded - so something that on working retail hardware would get flagged as bugs by QA in development, so games don't release that trigger theses conditions, as these are constraints for programmers.

This is how the XsX is still designed, and the PS5 doesn't need to worry about that, because such code that didn't get caught in testing or certification testing will be handled more gracefully, according to Cerny. And that is because the system deterministically balances power versus utilisation with variable clock frequency.

Take the scenario where an algorithm that downclocks the PS5 GPU uses lots of matrix multiplications (that are a critical path calculation) and then the algorithm gets optimised - post launch in a patch.

The developer realises they can rearrange the algorithm and reduce the matrix multiplications by pre-calculating the parts that are constant into less multiplications - thereby reducing the CUs utilisation for the task.

The result on PS5 is that the algorithm can either remain at static performance and have another item fill the unused compute or the algorithm gets clock boosted and completes the critical path calculation earlier, thus allowing for the next task to start earlier. So in either situation a performance gain.

On the old fix clock design the algorithm just uses less power and performance remains static.

Last edited:

RaySoft

You dont even know what infinty cache is first. Its a marketing term and has not been defined yet,

Is it shared L1 cache amongst shader arrays ?

Is it a big L3 cache which also gives a bandwidth boost ?

Is it a shared L1 cache plus a bigger complimentary L2 or L3 ?

Shared L1 costs 0.09 mm2 per CU I recall. Bigger L2 and L3 are out of the question on ps5 by more than 8 MB IMO.
Caches usually aren't shared between logic before you reach level 3.

buenoblue

You have a minimal idea of what you are talking about? The point of variable clocks it's to squeeze out more than a substained clocks, genius . Grow up for the fuck sake. He talks of basic grasp, unbelievable

What you descibe is the boost clock in all but name. What I would like to know is what is the base clock that games like assassin's creed can call upon, because it cant use 10.23TF and full cpu clock for sustained lengths of time. If it could sony wouldn't call it variable.

Some people's grasp of what the series x 'fixed clocks' means is laughable. Thinking it doesn't deviate at all. Thinking that downclocking when not utilized is what sony means by variable clocks. This is what the series x and every gpu and cpu has bin doing for 15 years. What sony describes is different. Ps5 has a power budget and thermal accoustics budget, if it exeeds those then power, thus clocks are dialled back untill those budgets are not exceeded any more.

Like I said before I would like to know the numbers on these situations. If the ps5 was more powerful and smaller I could understand this approach, but it's bigger and less powerful and still can't run at its peak performance constanly. Series x is smaller, more powerful, just as quiet yet never has power budget or cooling budget adjust it's power output.

I am getting a ps5 not a series x as I stated but that doesn't mean I shouldn't ask questions about it's design and approach.

FrankWza

1080p streams on Youtube really hurt people's impressions of game graphics. The compression is so bad that it's closer to 720p or 900p in reality, plus many people won't see HDR either. In some ways I like this because when I actually start up Demon's Souls for instance, I know it will look much better than the videos, but the average consumer doesn't really take these things into account. Watching Ratchet and Clank as it was streamed in the Gamescom show vs the 4k youtube version after was crazy how extreme of a difference there was so I agree that we should hold off a bit, unless it's obvious that the game wouldn't look good no matter how high the resolution is. Animations for instance won't be better just because the video is higher quality.

ive said this a few pages back but I’ll put it here in case it isn’t common knowledge. Demons Souls trailer is 1440p on the YouTube app on AppleTV. The webos version of YouTube will giveyou full 4K @60.

user1337

Anyone that cares enough to know the difference between wifi 5 and 6, or even know there’s a thing called wifi 6, will not be using wifi because they’ll know that hard wired is better.

Why is it a mistake to use wifi 5 instead of 6?

Stop presuming for me.

I know the difference between WiFi 5 and 6 and wired.

I will be using WiFi 6.

I need the convenience of not having to hard wire my console to a router in a different room, while still being able to access as much of my broadband connection as possible. WiFi 6 will help with that and help minimise signals mixing with other WiFi 5 and below connections in my house and neighbours houses.

There is no mistake in using WiFi 5. It's all good. However, the only way technology grows is if lots of people start using the latest tech. Console is one way to spread new tech and make it common place (see dvd Vs cd, and Blu-ray Vs dvd). They all got the job done, but unless some company basically makes the newest version standard and sells millions, others will not make upgrades to use it.

ToadMan

What you descibe is the boost clock in all but name. What I would like to know is what is the base clock that games like assassin's creed can call upon, because it cant use 10.23TF and full cpu clock for sustained lengths of time. If it could sony wouldn't call it variable.

Yes the PS5 can use full clocks all the time if that is desirable.

Sony aren’t interested in your lack of comprehension when they’re describing how their system operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom