• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

reksveks

On Infinity Cache on the PS5, until die shots start coming out, i am just going to side on it not existing based on the following guy's explaination honestly.

Check out the thread if you want. just don't give them shit, one of the people that's actually sensible and willing to explain his thoughts completely.

Last edited:

ToadMan

This reemergence of the PS5 Variable Clocks is a sad attempt of the RDX Crew downplaying the PS5 after realizing the XBSX doesn't have Infinity Cache.
We can already confirm the PS5 has something similar to, if not Infinity Cache.
"There's two dedicated I/O coprocessors in a large RAM pool." - Mark Cerny.

OYyQp8e.jpg

What I find odd is how similar the XBSX makeup is to RDNA 1 compared to RDNA 2.

qrIbMtg.jpg

5W6nXPK.jpg

4fwtRYl.jpg

I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this,
But XBSX just seems like RDNA 1 with Ray Traced Accelerators added, which in turn gained it the status of RDNA 2.

This is just my speculation btw.
The PS5 could have the same makeup of RDNA 1, we'll have to wait and see.
But right now, that seems very unlikely. The PS5 feels more RDNA 2.

Maybe today is the start of a new buzz word, "True RDNA 2"

From the hot chips presentation it didn’t seem like the Xsex had ray accelerators - not like AMD described anyway.

Xsex was using TMUs for its RT hardware...

But they can still claim to support RT in hardware with this half solution so they can probably still claim to support the RDNA 2 features in hardware.

SirTerry-T

Why don't they have a better ssd like sony?
Why don't they have a better sound engine like sony's
Why don't they have the latest version of wifi usb-c
Why don't they have any exclusive launch games?
why did they not invest in have a better controller like sony?
Why don't they have cache scrubbers like sony
Why don't they have coherency cores like sony.

because the only two things microsoft cared about was marketing and packaging.

Microsoft headquarters.
Don't worry people that 12 tflop number will do the business, consumers are thick as hell.

"Phil Phil Phil"
Steady my finned fella, you make it sound like Microsoft put a C90 tape deck and a ZX Spectrum beeper in the XboxSX hardware! I'd suggest maybe reigning it in a bit until any other rumours and Twitter-based Chinese whispers have a bit more substance?

duhmetree

This reemergence of the PS5 Variable Clocks is a sad attempt of the RDX Crew downplaying the PS5 after realizing the XBSX doesn't have Infinity Cache.

OYyQp8e.jpg

qrIbMtg.jpg

5W6nXPK.jpg

4fwtRYl.jpg

But XBSX just seems like RDNA 1 with Ray Traced Accelerators added, which in turn gained it the status of RDNA 2.

It is, essentially.

We dont know as much about the PS5. I was hoping they'd go more in detail. It's going on 8 months since Road to PS5... It'd be nice to get a 'Pulling into the driveway PS5'

ToadMan

You completely missed the point lol.

You made a point to say that the Xbox clocks aren’t fixed, even though they are. If they’re not fixed then that means they already have smartshift, since the entire point of smartshift is to give variable clock speeds between cpu and gpu on a power budget.

I’m saying that MS and Sony’s clock speed situation is not the same.

Hmmm. You’re kind of embarrassing yourself ... just in case you’re not aware. Or maybe you don’t mind.

Smartshift has no direct impact on clock speeds.

itsnotme

We'll see, also with the RDNA2 features I would think within 12 months Series S could be pushing PS5 pretty hard, I wouldn't worry about Series X If I were you it'll be out of sight by then.
I'm aware you're trolling but I have to bite the bait on this one, how are people even still arguing with you is beyond me, so far there are 0 (ZERO) confimed games to show any difference in the between the PS5 and the XSX but test magical the S is going to catch up. So right now we're both waiting a year for the Series X to run games better and the S to catch up. Series S will catch up but we already know PS5=XSX so XSS>XSX confirmed got it

ToadMan

My guess is parity with PC, having smart-shift in the console while PCs typically dont use it might cause issues for MS gitst party devs who are releasing on both day one. Smart-Shift definitely helps performance, there are AMD papers showing it. Only MS can answer your question.

And there’s the Dell G15 which showed a decent amount of improved performance using smartshift than its paper specs would have suggested.

buenoblue

How is being 'locked' in any way a detriment if the overall compute is better than ps5?
All chips vary according to load and you taking 'locked' clocks so literally shows the understanding of modern computing you have. Sony have stated the maximum the cpu and gpu can clock to, while feeling the need to state it will vary from this. Whenever a company puts an asterisk saying 'up to' in the small print should always ring alarm bells.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

This doesn’t look next gen at all. Character models. LOD. Physics. If you told me this was One X I’d entirely believe you.

And that’s not a criticism of XSX. I fully expect it to look like this on Ps5 as well.

Edit: just the One X version played in BC apparently....

Edit 2: or maybe it is XsX code as it’s 60fps 🙄

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

OYyQp8e.jpg

qrIbMtg.jpg

5W6nXPK.jpg

4fwtRYl.jpg

Come on now. Series X is RDNA2, with or without infinity cache, it doesn't changes.

Last edited:

buenoblue

The PS5 does not “down clock at any time”. Down clocking is deterministic, monitored and measurable in PS5.

Developers know exactly when a down clock happens and optimise for that scenario if they choose.

The PS5 has a variable clock rate but entirely predictable performance.

Current PC GPUs are still thermally throttled. They are the definition of variable and unpredictable performance.

PS5 has 100% develop time predictable performance. The only time the PS5 will vary in available performance is when developers do something that makes it vary.

If the PS5 is successful in its power management design- and it seems to be given the quality of graphics - PC GPUs will institute a similar model in future.

But surely running at 10.23 TF at all times if needed would be better? I don't get how varying clocks in a predictable manner could be better than the full 10.23 TF at all times.

Mr Moose

How is being 'locked' in any way a detriment if the overall compute is better than ps5?
All chips vary according to load and you taking 'locked' clocks so literally shows the understanding of modern computing you have. Sony have stated the maximum the cpu and gpu can clock to, while feeling the need to state it will vary from this. Whenever a company puts an asterisk saying 'up to' in the small print should always ring alarm bells.
You are calling MicroSoft a liar.
Those frequencies are completely locked and won't adjust according to load or thermal conditions - a point Microsoft emphasised several times during our visit.

Loxus

Come on now. Series X is RDNA2, with or without infinity cache, it doesn't changes.
"But XBSX just seems like RDNA 1 with Ray Traced Accelerators added, which in turn gained it the status of RDNA 2."
Your reading and understanding skills are poor.
Where did I say it's not RDNA 2?
And if you check my post history, you'll see I always refer the XBSX as RDNA 2.

I'm simply saying, it's makeup is similar to RDNA 1.

Last edited:

Lysandros

TRitZxO.jpg

Look dude, he specifically said, "We also use AMD's smartshift technology" "also" is the word. Meaning that smartshift is used on top of the PS5 variable frequencies technology. Smartshift helps to achieve more efficiency.
Thank you, i posted a few times in the past about the matter trying to explain it but it didn't have an impact. People continue to use a 'complementary' technique as the main one, just because it's AMD and has a cool name i guess. Sony's custom solutions tend to cause short memory with the public for some reason.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
But surely running at 10.23 TF at all times if needed would be better? I don't get how varying clocks in a predictable manner could be better than the full 10.23 TF at all times.
It is in terms of efficiency. What's the point to use all the clock when you don't need of it. Why some people is obsessed to the what is better over another approach, anyway? Probably locked clock will be abandoned in the future, especially on console, doesn't means the hardware will be worse for that. And again MS is behind this shitty communication to sell their products. It's completely unfair put this matter in this term.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
"But XBSX just seems like RDNA 1 with Ray Traced Accelerators added, which in turn gained it the status of RDNA 2."
Your reading and understanding skills are poor.
Where did I say it's not RDNA 2?
And if you check my post history, you'll see I always refer the XBSX as RDNA 2.

I'm simply saying, it's makeup is similar to RDNA 1.
RDNA1 turned in RDNA2 it's a terribile conjecture.

Last edited:

buenoblue

It is in terms of efficiency. What's the point to use all the clock when you don't need of it.

That's how all CPUs and gpus have worked for the last 15 years isn't it? The reason ps5 doesn't sustain it's stated clocks is because it would become to loud the choice made years ago to stick with 36 CU's has forced them to run clocks the design cannot handle, thus the varying clocks. Plain and simple.

martino

From the hot chips presentation it didn’t seem like the Xsex had ray accelerators - not like AMD described anyway.

Xsex was using TMUs for its RT hardware...

But they can still claim to support RT in hardware with this half solution so they can probably still claim to support the RDNA 2 features in hardware.
202008180220211.jpg

what is Ray Accel (RA) in your opinion ?

Last edited:

ToadMan

202008180220211.jpg

what is Ray Accel (RA) in your opinion ?

“4 texture or Ray ops / clk.”

Sounds to me like the TMU/Ray Accelerator are either the same bit of silicon or sharing the same bus so only one can do an operation.

Now that might be the same as AMD are proposing - but AMDs block diagram showed no co-location of the TMUs and Ray Tracing hardware.

Hence my query.

EDIT: Just to add this diagram from AMD to clarify

RsgLCg2.jpg

One per CU, not the 4 MS showed. MS’s solution matches the AMD ray tracing patent from last year. But this AMD presentation of RDNA2 doesn’t seem to be that.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
We are still at what's variable frequencies and RDNA 1 bullshit?
It's easy everyone working in the industry says variable frequencies is good and that both consoles are RDNA 2.
Now of course both have customizations on that basis even though the ps5 seems to have a few more, but until we've seen both in comparisons or 1st parties it's too early to tell which have the advantage and in which scenarios but realistically there probably won't be a clear win situation it will be more an X console has better texture or LOD while the other have slightly more pixels etc...

assurdum

Banned
That's how all CPUs and gpus have worked for the last 15 years isn't it? The reason ps5 doesn't sustain it's stated clocks is because it would become to loud the choice made years ago to stick with 36 CU's has forced them to run clocks the design cannot handle, thus the varying clocks. Plain and simple.
What a stupid logic. So why CPU has less core the last 15 years, why frequency stay lower on GPU why infinity cache wasn't a thing...is that the logic you want to use? So if series X was 14 TF with variable clock would be worse?

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned

You keep circling around trying to defend a non-existent argument.

PC GPUs and CPUs have had variable frequencies for over a decade. If it was better, they wouldn't have it.

As for smartshift, it improves the baseline efficiency for your hardware. Read

buenoblue

What a stupid logic. So why CPU has less core the last 15 years, why frequency stay lower on GPU why infinity cache wasn't a thing...is that the logic you want to use? So if series X was 14 TF with variable clock would be worse?

Wow. Of course a 14TF sustained xbox would be better than a variable one that downclocks. Obviously we can't have a proper discussion if you don't have a basic grasp of how cpu and gpu works. Im out morons.

MrFunSocks

Banned

OYyQp8e.jpg

qrIbMtg.jpg

5W6nXPK.jpg

4fwtRYl.jpg

You get cranky about people talking about the variable clocks, which are 100% on the ps5, but then you proceed to speculate that the Xbox is rdna 1? Lol Jesus Christ.

I guess AMD and MS are both just telling outright lies here then. Sony are the only ones that tell the truth, right?

Last edited:

Danny 117

Under microsoft? Please remind me, how many MS games won GOTY in the last 7 years?
Not winning GOTY awards/being a Metacritic marvel != Shovelware. That's all I am trying to say.

Some of my fondest memories in gaming were spent playing games like Halo 3, Rainbow Six Vegas, Dark Souls, Friday the 13th but none of them sweeped the GOTY awards.

Depends on your tastes. I am getting both consoles as I know I will get those amazing GOTY-worthy single-player experiences on PS5, but I still have just as much fun playing the more multiplayer-focused XGS games.

Last edited:

Rea

Thank you, i posted a few times in the past about the matter trying to explain it but it didn't have an impact. People continue to use a 'complementary' technique as the main one, just because its AMD and has a cool name i guess. Sony's custom solutions tend to cause short memory with the public for some reason.
Because Cerny focused on creating a system for the love of developers and forgot to gave buzz words for his techs. 😂

nosseman

Even after AMD showed their over 2ghz GPU’s you still have people thinking PS5 gpu clocks were last minute over clocks and it can’t handle it.

I guess it is AMD using the term Game clock and Boost clock and Sony saying that their number is almost always sustained and only down clocks very little and Sonys number is close to AMDs Boost clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom