• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

I agree with you. And as I have written before I think the decision to unify the development environment for XSX, XSS, X One, X One X, PC and the servers will come to haunt MS. Here is a good twitter thread on this topic (more relevant posts in the actual thread):

Nah its excuse time, I bet the PC games from those 3rd parties run exactly as their known performance is. That then says the COMMON SDK only holds back XSX and not the PC on the same SDK, Yeah right :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

ToadMan

What would be the acronyms in English? I don't want to complicate the explanation too much.
I think it is TDP TGP perl not sure.

TDP = Thermal Design Power. The heat output for which the component cooling system is designed.

TGP = Total Graphics Power. Usually the max power consumption of a GPU.

The 300W+ numbers you listed are the max power ratings of the Power Supply Unit. The maximum power they can reliably deliver.

The actual power consumption of these consoles will be about 60% of the Power Supply Rating - around 170 - 220W. This might be called the TGP but that wouldn’t be an accurate description since the power is a consumed by more than just the GOU component.

The APU TDP will be around 40% - 50% of the Power Supply Rating. About 140 - 180W.

None of the TDPs are confirmed publically yet, so the numbers above are estimates inferred from the known PSU ratings, the Xsex measured power consumption and the performance of last gen consoles.

Yes the TDP can be exceeded for “short” periods without ill effect. Sustained exceedence of TDPs may eventually lead to ill effects though.

PSX

Saw it on the motherboard though.

vlcsnap-2020-10-07-16h54m10s736.png

vlcsnap-2020-10-07-16h51m11s844.png

Which is strange, yes.
By the way the console they were tearing down it was for the presentation and it’s obvious not only one console I am sure multiple shots with other parts ,and there was a shot it has PS5 logo and other shot it doesn’t probably just a kit for practices on how to teardown without too many mistaken. It seems like the video broken into different times and put nicely together.

roops67

What would be the acronyms in English? I don't want to complicate the explanation too much.
I think it is TDP TGP perl not sure.
You're referring to 'Power' in watts. TDP - Thermal Design Power, I think that's the maximum heat can be dissipated by design

Edit: Ah right Toadman already said it better

Last edited:

geordiemp

Fao @Riky and others...

About the variable clocks....

Apparently the lastest AMD drivers for the 40 CU PC part Navi22 now limit the gPU clock at 2.8 GHz.

RDNA2 2.8 GHz lol

AS we learn more, nobody gives a crap about 2.23 for a 40 CU part anymore for RDNA2, its meant to be fast.

Also Cerny said Ps5 could of gone higher but they capped it at 2.23 GHz.

Last edited:

Nowcry

Apparently the lastest AMD drivers for the 40 CU PC part Navi22 now limit the gPU clock at 2.8 GHz.

RDNA2 2.8 GHz lol

AS we learn more, nobody gives a crap about 2.23 for a 40 CU part anymore for RDNA2, its meant to be fast.

Do you have the source of that? I would like to put it in another forum, if you don't mind.

geordiemp

Do you have the source of that? I would like to put it in another forum, if you don't mind.

The usual Rogame and Kitty on twitter, the main RDNA2 leakers for what its worth. Also

Also the above is for the larger 80 CU die, 40 CU will be easier to clock, so 2.23 Ghz game clock for 40 CU with 4 disabled and liquid metal TIM is likely WITHIN PC game clocks.

Thats end of the matter.

Last edited:

RDNA2 2.8 GHz lol

I can't wait for them to announce the clocks so all this "overclock" thing can be finally put to rest.

geordiemp

We are 2/weeks away from next gen launch and no games trailers have come out this week, mah

3rd party game trailers have been sparse for consoles from both sides, but is it not normal for 3rd party to show high end PC footage anyway ?

Last edited:

LiquidRex

Its weird after talking about RT for 2 years when it came time to show , they even removed the mention of it from box but put vrr .👀👀
Is it due to games having RT patched in later for the reason... As in its not guaranteed, and only worth mentioning on Game packaging instead. 🤷‍♂️

LiquidRex

So is RT mentioned on PS5 console packaging. 🤷‍♂️

Is it a feature so easily marketed without having to put disclaimers all over the box on the types of RT that will feature depending on developer preferences or game modes (software/Hardware)

Xbox Series X hardware is fine. The issue is bugs and bad timing of API GDK not running properly till September 2020 with various bugs and features not working properly, Covid 19 and some devs legit not getting the debug consoles hardware to late. Microsoft does have some blame here. But the Xbox Series X hardware it’s self is fine.

Also GDK is a in a great spot now. So I believe you will start seeing better games quality looking games for Xbox Series X soon. But Some Launch titles pushed through some crazy obstacles to be launch titles.

So here's my thinking here(and bear with me, it's early):

Why launch then?

They could've pushed back into Spring / Summer 2021(not even a full year) and probably had numerous issues resolved that have hurt them so far.

I can somewhat understand you want to compete with Sony directly, but it really doesn't matter.

The PS3 launched after the Xbox 360, though it had struggles aplenty with price, etc. Point is it ended up doing fine in the long run despite launching later.

Sony, arguably, has the top spot in consoledom locked. You're not going to catch them, honestly.

Delaying a bit may be in your favor if you show up later with actual stronger launch titles, Halo Infinite looking good, not having to chuck raytracing into patches, your system power is shown more efficiently, more supply, more BC compatibility, etc.

It feels like a "We gotta get it out there now" kind of situation when I argue it didn't really need to be.

J_Gamer.exe

The stairs covered in snow on the building to the left pop in.

YacHW4c.gif

Good spot to be fair, prompted me to check that video and if you do yo see just a fraction of a second before that gif bit there and see the trees near the water, that pops in, thats the most obvious one I seen now.

However the footage that prompted me to question have we seen any was that newer shopping centre rampage.

Looked seamless to me although only watching on my phone atm. But looked very impressive.

Those minor issues should be ironed out from other footage.

xHunter

I have had to see that gif for more than 3 minutes with more than 100 cycles to find the stairs LOL.

Also appears from top to bottom, I have the impression that what we see appear is the lighting on the snow of the staircase, not the staircase.
I still cant see it. Where is the stairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom