• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
They didn't need more tflops...that's not how this generation will be measured. Let's wait to see if the PS5 utilizes infinity cache. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS5 is the more powerful machine. We are 20 days from MS launching. The best looking titles are CLEARLY on Sony's platform. MS is touting Ray tracing, yet Sony has demonstrated better use.
I think we should move beyond "power", if anything the lead up to next-gen has taught us is how insignificant power is. As Mark Cerny said, it's not so much the question of how much power but what does that power enable? Now I'm not negating power at all but if we want to keep playing the power card then both consoles get demolished by something like 3080. It will come back to the games as it always has, not much has changed from previous gens. The problem is Sony fans who constantly peddled "power" during the PS4 and Xbox One era are now having to deal with the Frankenstein they've created because Xbox has the advantage in that regard, well on paper anyway.

But it's interesting how all the next-gen games we've seen running realtime have been on the PS5, it's shown a better showcase of "power", ray-tracing and SSD (Ratchet and Clank is a good example for SSD). I'm not at all trying to shit on the Series X, I think they'll have some mind blowing games to show within a year or two but then again so will Sony, you can bet your money on that. I'm still confident that Sony will have some of the best looking games at the end of this upcoming generation, their first party studios are a well oiled machine which doesn't seem to stopping anytime soon.

I'm actually really glad Mark Cerny went with the decisions he did with the PS5, a "generational leap" in graphics is always a given every generation but the market and consumers demand innovation, haptics and adaptive triggers of the Dualsense and the 3D audio will really take the gaming experience to another level. "Power" is only one factor in this huge tapestry.

That's my take, but I would like to mention a few things RedGamingTech has mentioned in recent weeks/months. When asked which console is better, the PS5 or the Series X? He's answer has always been "better at what exactly?", he states that when it comes to raw compute performance the Series X has the clear advantage, so resolution and FPS will scale well as will some other things, also the large number of CU's will also allow the the Series X to have an advantage in certain elements of ray-tracing, as the number of rays being generated scale well with the number of CU's and ray bounces scale well with clock speeds in which the PS5 has an advantage. As for the advantages the PS5 has, he has mentioned that the PS5 will have a "raw throughput advantage", meaning that the PS5 is designed to stream massive amounts of data like geometry and textures instantly, so environments will look much more dense and even more detailed, a good example of this was the Unreal Engine 5 demo and also Demon Souls gameplay. Both consoles will have their strengths and weaknesses and both will be better at certain elements.

Ek4GM7oXIAAx0bC

The levels of this game seem boring. All I saw were a narrow path leading into an arena where you fight enemies then walk again through anotber narrow path.... Rinse and repeat

saintjules

FYI - The Gamestop All Access glitch for the Series X is being cancelled to users. My backup pre-order is gone.

Edit: Seems it's still good online and verified by a rep. We'll see if it holds up.

Last edited:

Gudji

The levels of this game seem boring. All I saw were a narrow path leading into an arena where you fight enemies then walk again through anotber narrow path.... Rinse and repeat

That's just the tutorial, some japanese guy that played it said the map opens up after that. I'll wait for more previews before getting too excited but the japanese footage did make it look a lot better than the official marketing.

That's just the tutorial, some japanese guy that played it said the map opens up after that. I'll wait for more previews before getting too excited but the japanese footage did make it look a lot better than the official marketing.
I will wait for post release to see people's reaction.
I believe this game would've been better with a Diablo style. At least that's what I imagined after the reveal last year.

Sinthor

Gold Member
I feel bad for Godfall. Could be fun, but I see no reason to play that game over Ghost of Tsushima Legends or any other multiplayer fighter. Generic nothing really IP & world.. Idk about that one. Hope it surprises me.

I hope Kena Bridge of Spirits and Ratchet & Clank are both out by February.
I think it's aimed to be an evolution of the 'souls like' games. It looks like one and if it's good, there will definitely be a big fanbase for it from Souls fans like me!

geordiemp

I think we should move beyond "power", if anything the lead up to next-gen has taught us is how insignificant power is. As Mark Cerny said, it's not so much the question of how much power but what does that power enable? Now I'm not negating power at all but if we want to keep playing the power card then both consoles get demolished by something like 3080. It will come back to the games as it always has, not much has changed from previous gens. The problem is Sony fans who constantly peddled "power" during the PS4 and Xbox One era are now having to deal with the Frankenstein they've created because Xbox has the advantage in that regard, well on paper anyway.

But it's interesting how all the next-gen games we've seen running realtime have been on the PS5, it's shown a better showcase of "power", ray-tracing and SSD (Ratchet and Clank is a good example for SSD). I'm not at all trying to shit on the Series X, I think they'll have some mind blowing games to show within a year or two but then again so will Sony, you can bet your money on that. I'm still confident that Sony will have some of the best looking games at the end of this upcoming generation, their first party studios are a well oiled machine which doesn't seem to stopping anytime soon.

I'm actually really glad Mark Cerny went with the decisions he did with the PS5, a "generational leap" in graphics is always a given every generation but the market and consumers demand innovation, haptics and adaptive triggers of the Dualsense and the 3D audio will really take the gaming experience to another level. "Power" is only one factor in this huge tapestry.

That's my take, but I would like to mention a few things RedGamingTech has mentioned in recent weeks/months. When asked which console is better, the PS5 or the Series X? He's answer has always been "better at what exactly?", he states that when it comes to raw compute performance the Series X has the clear advantage, so resolution and FPS will scale well as will some other things, also the large number of CU's will also allow the the Series X to have an advantage in certain elements of ray-tracing, as the number of rays being generated scale well with the number of CU's and ray bounces scale well with clock speeds in which the PS5 has an advantage. As for the advantages the PS5 has, he has mentioned that the PS5 will have a "raw throughput advantage", meaning that the PS5 is designed to stream massive amounts of data like geometry and textures instantly, so environments will look much more dense and even more detailed, a good example of this was the Unreal Engine 5 demo and also Demon Souls gameplay. Both consoles will have their strengths and weaknesses and both will be better at certain elements.

He does not even know which console if any will have a common L1 like PCs will have. If one console has a 22 % IPC GPU benenfit, it will be most powerful easily. Otherwise similar.

Last edited:

Scorn on DX11? Why not DX 12 Ultimate?

Maybe an incomplete SDK or something like? 👀

Because is a small/new team, finish a game is more important than have the last graphics
features so probably the focus his energy in other stuff, this not bad.

Also I will give an advice never quote that kirby guy, his toxic fanboy from xbox which still be an
student but has the ego like he was Carmack or somebody similar.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Tom warren is such... oh....

first tweet he says xbox series x launch is weak

and in 2nd tweet he says no one cares for launch lineup

launch lineup is the most important reason to get a console day one
Maybe read again, that's not what he said at all...

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Tom warren is such... oh....

first tweet he says xbox series x launch is weak

and in 2nd tweet he says no one cares for launch lineup

launch lineup is the most important reason to get a console day one
He said no one cares for launch lineups for graphics cards (3080).

He's just saying it's like a PC.. upgrade so all of your games are better, not just future games.

Last edited:

Follow up:

The XSX is like a PC*

The last thing you can say is that the PS5 is like a PC when Sony did so many things to elevate the console like investing in new technologies with the DualSense, the focus on 3D Audio and the super fast SSD. They figured out really quickly where the consoles were heading and I guess they made the right choice of differentiating generations while MS wants to treat everything as a PC.

Like Mark Cerny said, it's a balancing act of evolution and revolution...

MistBreeze

Maybe read again, that's not what he said at all...
he says exactly that

he said people upgrading consoles like people upgrading their graphic cards in PCs

and no one cares for launch lineup for 3080 gpu

since when gpu has a launch lineup

he is trying to downplay launch line ups to defend microsoft

people upgrade gpu to power

people buy consoles for new games including launch lineups

If people care about power they will not stick to a console for 6 plus years

MistBreeze

He said no one cares for launch lineups for graphics cards (3080).

He's just saying it's like a PC.. upgrade so all of your games are better, not just future games.
he is wrong consoles is not about that
people buy consoles for new games he is trying to imply consoles is like pc to cover up xbox series x shortcomings

Microsoft ( and their press ) trying to change console rules

consoles are not PCs ,, using x86 not means consoles are regarded as pc

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
he is wrong consoles is not about that
people buy consoles for new games he is trying to imply consoles is like pc to cover up xbox series x shortcomings

Microsoft ( and their press ) trying to change console rules

consoles are not PCs ,, using x86 not means consoles are regarded as pc
I mean.. both console literally upgrade your old games lol

MS with the more intricate advancements... Sony with the boost mode.

Yes he's partly defending MS (after saying their launch lineup is weak).. but he's also stating a literal fact.. you can buy these systems and get improved experiences on older games.

I've seen several people remarking that they waited to play Sony games on PS5 and I'm one of them. The statement is made in the context of the "launch lineup" comment and is literally only comparing the fact that old games upgrade.. it's not making any other comparison.

I do agree his "consoles are headed this way" is maybe overstated; but there is some truth to that.. mid-gen refreshes.. the likelihood of future consoles offering similar BC/forwards compat features/etc. means consoles are more likely than not to continue to be things you can buy every few years to upgrade your existing games. He's just missing everything ELSE that makes consoles unique and making a kind of dumb statement regarding launch lineups.

Last edited:

Follow up:

Somebody please tell this guy the quantity of console sales is a lot more
than any gen of GPU for obvious reasons, also in PC the sales of the GPU
increment if some big title is released in a close date to a new gen of GPUs.

Just looks the sales after the Xbox one X or even after gamepass then tell me the
exclusives doesn't matter yeah sure that is why Nintendo is basically selling around
400k per week since a couple months ago.

Last edited:

MistBreeze

I mean.. both console literally upgrade your old games lol

MS with the more intricate advancements... Sony with the boost mode.

Yes he's partly defending MS (after saying their launch lineup is weak).. but he's also stating a literal fact.. you can buy these systems and get improved experiences on older games.

I've seen several people remarking that they waited to play Sony games on PS5 and I'm one of them. The statement is made in the context of the "launch lineup" comment and is literally only comparing the fact that old games upgrade.. it's not making any other comparison.
Yes.. upgrading old games is a nice feature
yes... some people wait to play old games in ps5 to get benefit of boost mode and new bills and whissles
yes.. BC initiative is a great feature

but all these are bonus features for consoles
first party software is the most single important thing for a console and everything else is a bonus
a console ives and dies by its library of games and first party output is the single most important factor that drive sales
this has been proven through decades of console business
Microsoft can not change that
every other feature is nice but it is a bonus

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The XSX is like a PC*

The last thing you can say is that the PS5 is like a PC when Sony did so many things to elevate the console like investing in new technologies with the DualSense, the focus on 3D Audio and the super fast SSD. They figured out really quickly where the consoles were heading and I guess they made the right choice of differentiating generations while MS wants to treat everything as a PC.

Like Mark Cerny said, it's a balancing act of evolution and revolution...
Yep. I mean I wouldve taken 14 tflops over ssd in a heartbeat but you look at the controller and UI innovations, you see what they are trying to do with 3d audio and the i/o and it's far more exciting than just trying to emulate PC.

One is trying to be a next gen console while the other is trying to a PC thats going to be outdated in the PC space the day it comes out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom