• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I suggest you go back to the video and start at 23 minutes, it says it isn't about Xbox and Playstation. He goes on to say this is about trillion dollar companies and growing your channel, he goes on to say about blacklisting and losing access to the inside information. Go and watch it and listen yourself "it's not about being an Xbox guy" is the phrase used. THAT'S what I'm talking about and I've disproved it with TWO examples Crytek and Infinity Ward, you want to dumb things down, try knowing what you're defending first.

I didn't say they "can't analyse" cross Gen games at all another lie. I can't wait until they do and not for the fanboy nonsense but because I'm intrigued about how Series S and Xbox One X games compare, that stuff is going to be fascinating, probably more so than XSX Vs PS5.

Why would Halo PC owners have to "go fuck themselves" pixel counting PC games is a pointless exercise in itself, they will have control over settings console owners don't which is why DF don't pixel count PC games full stop. You might not like it because it hurts your narrative but the Halo Infinite we have seen was on PC and it's completely pointless pixel counting that, you must realise that surely?

Dirt 5 is Codemasters not Microsoft, they did an interview with Codemasters and he told them the resolutions and frame rates, what's the problem with this? They haven't analysed it they were told by a video interview.

As far as I know Spiderman, Ratchet and Demon Souls all have a quality and performance mode, maybe wait for the full game and I'm sure DF will then break it all down like they always do regardless of format.

They say a lot of "good" things about Sony, when you are doing a measurable analysis and from 2013 to 2017 one version was almost always better it would be folly to deny that, shall we get quotes from every comparison for that four year period?

The Xbox One analysis was probably before release of consoles? MS first party games did have 1080p games, I'm sure Forza 5 was 1080p at launch from what I remember.

Bringing what seem to be random fanboys into the discussion means nothing, do they work for DF? No? Irrelevant then.

I really do suggest you go back to the video 23 minutes and listen very carefully to what is said, the bit about it not being about Xbox and Playstation, that actually proves my point in itself.
That's incredible how you answer only the surface level of things.Because you didn't consider that Kingthrash point about being blacklisted might be wrong but doesn't change anything.His explanation is wrong their wrongdoing is still there.
In fact you analyse what I say on the surface level just like Df analyse xbox on the surface level and deep down for their concurrents.

You don't want games analysed because you start from the assumption we are only talking about the series X which is immensely reducing what we are talking about.I'm not talking about the series X specifically but the approach digital foundry has toward Xbox.There's a world of difference.

About knowing what I'm defending you still don't understand that Kingthrash explanation being bad doesn't mean that their approach wasn't biased.
And you think that because ps4 was better in every metrics until the xbox one X came out they weren't biased because they didn't outright lie ?Really ?
Listen it's easy your points are sometimes they said good thing about sony and sometimes bad about Xbox .....Well yeah DUH ... But saying good/bad things is different it's like saying I'm not racist i got black friends.

And you really don't understand how your points would prove that extremes fanboy are objective ?You really don't understand how your arguments about how DF not being biased works on the most biased people out there ? Think take your time again look at what others have posted about richard and the rop and Alex and the countless mistake that awkwardly are always detrimental to playstation.

I know you can't prove a bias but when one of your "analyst" is part of a discord group whose role is consisting of the most die hard Xbox fans spreading fud on all cylinders about ps5, when yourself spread fud about RT on multiple occasion that even some of your colleagues need to tell you to shut up.Maybe you are biased.

And let's be honest if the role were reversed if alex was part of a playstation group always downplaying Xbox and banning people proving him wrong you'd and a lot of other people would scream injustice.

So remember we are not talking about series X or ps5 specifically, we are not talking about who said good or bad things we are talking about how a tech website should be objective when analysing games and if there are differences in approaches then it is biased.
And most their videos shows a different approach between ms First parties and other games.

Once again find me one video where they explain that shadows hides the richness of the environments and texture.Why did Halo got it so soft when it is a problematic games on the visual part.But when analysing let's say gran turismo you can zoom 300% to find the resolution of a raytraced reflection?Beside it was in the back of a truck and there was no light in the truck so maybe it was in the shadows ?Why is it not mentionned when it takes about 30% of their Halo "analysis".

And if it wasn't biased why did so much people gave alex shit for that video people that had no problem with him before?

By the way you want framerate analysis etc.. on a pc game?
Check their analysis of ... Horizon titled
An Amazing Game Gets A Disappointing Port.

I'm not saying it wasn't a problematic port but let's compare it to
Halo Infinite Gameplay Trailer Analysis: Are The Graphics Really 'Flat'...?

Do you see the difference in treatment there ?One is "disappointing" the other is a question introducing its defense consisting of a mixbag of excuses and explanation.And let's not forget that the entire internet shat on the graphical presentation of Halo.

And even being on pc why wouldn't you analyse the resolution?Please tell me, because it doesn't reprensent the series X? Good thing it's a video about Halo and not the series X.
And please listen to the beginning of the video where he states that this video is for people underwhelmed by halo well"this video is for you where I will try to explain why you may feel this way"(note that he doesn't say it looks bad just that we "feel this way").And it all comes down to lightning.

Because of course what people want in an "analysis" is someone to explain why we feel it looks bad.

Now show me a bad looking game that as been as defended as Halo have been in their video.

Please tell me why an analysis suddenly became let me explain why you stupid people don't understand this beauty ?Because he barely talks about most of the problems of Halo no he just pick one and oh so surprise MS convieniently had an RT patch that would come and fix everything.

Valonquar

Fun fact: There is a digital only version of the PS5, and there is no way to digitally pre-order PS5 games. Some PS5 launch titles have pre-order bonuses. NEAT... guessing they will show up on PSN in a week or so.

Riky

$MSFT
That's incredible how you answer only the surface level of things.Because you didn't consider that Kingthrash point about being blacklisted might be wrong but doesn't change anything.His explanation is wrong their wrongdoing is still there.
In fact you analyse what I say on the surface level just like Df analyse xbox on the surface level and deep down for their concurrents.

You don't want games analysed because you start from the assumption we are only talking about the series X which is immensely reducing what we are talking about.I'm not talking about the series X specifically but the approach digital foundry has toward Xbox.There's a world of difference.

About knowing what I'm defending you still don't understand that Kingthrash explanation being bad doesn't mean that their approach wasn't biased.
And you think that because ps4 was better in every metrics until the xbox one X came out they weren't biased because they didn't outright lie ?Really ?
Listen it's easy your points are sometimes they said good thing about sony and sometimes bad about Xbox .....Well yeah DUH ... But saying good/bad things is different it's like saying I'm not racist i got black friends.

And you really don't understand how your points would prove that extremes fanboy are objective ?You really don't understand how your arguments about how DF not being biased works on the most biased people out there ? Think take your time again look at what others have posted about richard and the rop and Alex and the countless mistake that awkwardly are always detrimental to playstation.

I know you can't prove a bias but when one of your "analyst" is part of a discord group whose role is consisting of the most die hard Xbox fans spreading fud on all cylinders about ps5, when yourself spread fud about RT on multiple occasion that even some of your colleagues need to tell you to shut up.Maybe you are biased.

And let's be honest if the role were reversed if alex was part of a playstation group always downplaying Xbox and banning people proving him wrong you'd and a lot of other people would scream injustice.

So remember we are not talking about series X or ps5 specifically, we are not talking about who said good or bad things we are talking about how a tech website should be objective when analysing games and if there are differences in approaches then it is biased.
And most their videos shows a different approach between ms First parties and other games.

Once again find me one video where they explain that shadows hides the richness of the environments and texture.Why did Halo got it so soft when it is a problematic games on the visual part.But when analysing let's say gran turismo you can zoom 300% to find the resolution of a raytraced reflection?Beside it was in the back of a truck and there was no light in the truck so maybe it was in the shadows ?Why is it not mentionned when it takes about 30% of their Halo "analysis".

And if it wasn't biased why did so much people gave alex shit for that video people that had no problem with him before?

By the way you want framerate analysis etc.. on a pc game?
Check their analysis of ... Horizon titled
An Amazing Game Gets A Disappointing Port.

I'm not saying it wasn't a problematic port but let's compare it to
Halo Infinite Gameplay Trailer Analysis: Are The Graphics Really 'Flat'...?

Do you see the difference in treatment there ?One is "disappointing" the other is a question introducing its defense consisting of a mixbag of excuses and explanation.And let's not forget that the entire internet shat on the graphical presentation of Halo.

And even being on pc why wouldn't you analyse the resolution?Please tell me, because it doesn't reprensent the series X? Good thing it's a video about Halo and not the series X.
And please listen to the beginning of the video where he states that this video is for people underwhelmed by halo well"this video is for you where I will try to explain why you may feel this way"(note that he doesn't say it looks bad just that we "feel this way").And it all comes down to lightning.

Because of course what people want in an "analysis" is someone to explain why we feel it looks bad.

Now show me a bad looking game that as been as defended as Halo have been in their video.

Please tell me why an analysis suddenly became let me explain why you stupid people don't understand this beauty ?Because he barely talks about most of the problems of Halo no he just pick one and oh so surprise MS convieniently had an RT patch that would come and fix everything.

So we finally admitting he was wrong and his reasoning was wrong, we're getting there.

Where did I say I don't want games analysed? That's a total lie. I said there is no point pixel counting PC versions, which is true, surely even you can admit that no? They only examine Xbox games on a "surface" level? The full game comparisons I have seen have been frame rate, resolution and effects on all formats, even retro games. Utter nonsense.

You are talking about how DF not just talk about Series X now but Xbox in general, but the example you constantly use is a video of a PC game😅 Maybe get an Xbox example, might help your cause. I never said frame rate analysis of PC games another lie, there very last video is such. I said pixel counting PC games.

So you admit that we've gone from one bad thing said about Xbox to more and good things about Sony, that's progress too.

A video about Halo saying it looks bad and this is why doesn't really help Microsoft, it still looks bad. In the same way they go back to developers like Nintendo and Crytek and say we've found an issue with your game they might be saying that to MS?

Like I say every time, these are all measurable metrics in comparisons, other groups are free to do the analysis too.

Fun fact: There is a digital only version of the PS5, and there is no way to digitally pre-order PS5 games. Some PS5 launch titles have pre-order bonuses. NEAT... guessing they will show up on PSN in a week or so.

Fun fact - you totally can already preorder the digital version of some PS5 launch titles online.

Jesus Christ I wish people would actually catch up with the current state of play before posting something as fact when they are totally wrong.

Last edited:
WOW 4K 120fps

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Valonquar

Fun fact - you totally can already preorder the digital version of some PS5 launch titles online.

Jesus Christ I wish people would actually catch up with the current state of play before posting something as fact when they are totally wrong.
Well it is def a fact you can't buy them on PSN which should've been the first place they showed up.

sircaw

Banned
What will the graphical quality be at that resolution and refresh rate? I imagine that some significant compromises have had to be made to get the game to run at those specifications; I can't imagine the graphical quality being higher than "low" settings for PC's version of the game.

Great for professional gamers, casuals will take one look at that mode and say that is the most ugly thing i have ever seen.

Mr Moose

Well it is def a fact you can't buy them on PSN which should've been the first place they showed up.

ethomaz

Banned
Fun fact: you can preorder all digital launch PS5 games on it own page.

Example:

It is preorder for PSN... Sony didn't open retail preorders (that is what retailers do).

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So we finally admitting he was wrong and his reasoning was wrong, we're getting there.

Where did I say I don't want games analysed? That's a total lie. I said there is no point pixel counting PC versions, which is true, surely even you can admit that no? They only examine Xbox games on a "surface" level? The full game comparisons I have seen have been frame rate, resolution and effects on all formats, even retro games. Utter nonsense.

You are talking about how DF not just talk about Series X now but Xbox in general, but the example you constantly use is a video of a PC game😅 Maybe get an Xbox example, might help your cause. I never said frame rate analysis of PC games another lie, there very last video is such. I said pixel counting PC games.

So you admit that we've gone from one bad thing said about Xbox to more and good things about Sony, that's progress too.

A video about Halo saying it looks bad and this is why doesn't really help Microsoft, it still looks bad. In the same way they go back to developers like Nintendo and Crytek and say we've found an issue with your game they might be saying that to MS?

Like I say every time, these are all measurable metrics in comparisons, other groups are free to do the analysis too.
I'm starting to doubt that you can read.I said that kingthrash explanation might be wrong 2 posts ago but the flew past you apparently like most content in my posts.
Now listen where in the hell has it been specific about the series X? Because he started the video by talking about Redout and Gears 4 and 5 so nothing about the Series X.
Do you often verse in the straw man argument or did you honestly thought it was only about series X?

And to you Halo is more a PC game and doesn't represent Xbox or Microsoft ?Are you joking ? Does your whole point is they didn't say bad things about the series X because we haven't seen series X gameplay ?

And those points about Gears and redout don't stand out to you ?

They are not biased toward MS because they did a shitty analysis of an Xbox studios games published only on Pc and Xbox ?And that is somehow not biased toward MS because it comes out on PC too ?That makes absolutely no sense.

I never said that they never said anything good about sony (still that manichean way of thinking that prevent you from understanding subtility).I'll repeat once again being biased is not always saying good things about A and bad things about B.I said it at least 3 times already do you have some kind of disability that I should know about? Because if so I'll repeat( again) what I already said multiple times to help you better understand.

And to you that video said Halo looked bad ?When I quote explicitely and visibly where alex says that people that felt underwhelmed need to watch that video explaining that everything would be fixed by lightning.

It didn't really bothered you when I talked about Horizon on pc too strangely.

Honestly I wonder why I bother still talking to you.You understand just what you want, listen just what you want and understand ... well barely anything.
You use poor arguments (but Halo is a pc games) and you think that since in comparison video they use the same tools they're not biased.
But what about when analysing Xbox games only (well that are also on pc .... I know you like mentionning that even when it has absolutely no relevance)Why aren't they using those same metrics?Why hasn't there be for example a single framerate analysis about Halo when other trailers shown running on PC have ?
Why aren't answering any of my questions that can raise legitimate doubts and are happy that you understood something I said 2 posts ago ?Did you get faster and will answer something I said 5 posts ago ?

I think you'll join my ignore list because it is impossible to have an argument with you, you ignore most of my points and answer only what you think you understood but are way off about simple points.

And I can argue with a lot of people here simply because they are capable of listening and answering even through they think diferently than I do.And with them it's enriching they bring knowledge or interesting opinion.You bring nothing to the table except for straw man argument, ignorance and irrelevant points.
Maybe one day you will answer something relevant but as of now, I'm better off without you I don't have time to waste arguing against a wall.
At least the wall make less stupid points.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Come on, guys, you all talk about "sex life" like you're implying you have it, when we all know you don't. Otherwise we wouldn't be spending days in here, arguing about mega corporations and plastic boxes, right?
You are wrong I do have the sex very often, with my totally real girlfriend .... Why are you looking at me weird, she's real.....I swear .... guys.....Why am I sweating?

zaitsu

Banned
when it makes people act the way he acted, then yeah you are a loser. literally bringing up Xbox on a post thats about a 3rd party game :messenger_tears_of_joy: throwing out baseless accusations and cant handle the fact peoples opinions arent based purely on brand

this thread becomes more of a joke each passing day with sony fanboys, if your post isnt praising sony and bashing everything else you know you gonna be jumped

its gotten so bad people here think i am a Xbox only gamer cause they dont know what it look like to be a neutral :messenger_grinning_squinting:
It's just nothing to be excited about XSX for next few years.

LucidFlux

Thats a shame, would rather have a better looking game with better lighting and effects and 60 FPS.

Hopefully next COD game wont be so cross gen.

Any game that runs at 120 FPS on console is not rolling out the best looks.

It's curious they went this route essentially locking themselves in to 120 FPS for the rest of the generation. You can't offer it on the first game then go back to 60. The next game should be able to do a bit more not being shackled to current gen but I don't expect too much an improvement. I'm sure there is still plenty of CPU headroom at least.

On one hand what tiny fraction of players can even take advantage of 4k120 at launch? Less than 1%? I suppose it's forward thinking as more and more will have full HDMI 2.1 sets as the gen goes on but still seems it will really limit their visuals this generation.

I guess CoD has always been known as the high FPS twitch shooter on console, so they're really just doubling down on that aspect.

It will be interesting to see how much better something like Battlefield will look if they stick with 60.

Riky

$MSFT
I'm starting to doubt that you can read.I said that kingthrash explanation might be wrong 2 posts ago but the flew past you apparently like most content in my posts.
Now listen where in the hell has it been specific about the series X? Because he started the video by talking about Redout and Gears 4 and 5 so nothing about the Series X.
Do you often verse in the straw man argument or did you honestly thought it was only about series X?

And to you Halo is more a PC game and doesn't represent Xbox or Microsoft ?Are you joking ? Does your whole point is they didn't say bad things about the series X because we haven't seen series X gameplay ?

And those points about Gears and redout don't stand out to you ?

They are not biased toward MS because they did a shitty analysis of an Xbox studios games published only on Pc and Xbox ?And that is somehow not biased toward MS because it comes out on PC too ?That makes absolutely no sense.

I never said that they never said anything good about sony (still that manichean way of thinking that prevent you from understanding subtility).I'll repeat once again being biased is not always saying good things about A and bad things about B.I said it at least 3 times already do you have some kind of disability that I should know about? Because if so I'll repeat( again) what I already said multiple times to help you better understand.

And to you that video said Halo looked bad ?When I quote explicitely and visibly where alex says that people that felt underwhelmed need to watch that video explaining that everything would be fixed by lightning.

It didn't really bothered you when I talked about Horizon on pc too strangely.

Honestly I wonder why I bother still talking to you.You understand just what you want, listen just what you want and understand ... well barely anything.
You use poor arguments (but Halo is a pc games) and you think that since in comparison video they use the same tools they're not biased.
But what about when analysing Xbox games only (well that are also on pc .... I know you like mentionning that even when it has absolutely no relevance)Why aren't they using those same metrics?Why hasn't there be for example a single framerate analysis about Halo when other trailers shown running on PC have ?
Why aren't answering any of my questions that can raise legitimate doubts and are happy that you understood something I said 2 posts ago ?Did you get faster and will answer something I said 5 posts ago ?

I think you'll join my ignore list because it is impossible to have an argument with you, you ignore most of my points and answer only what you think you understood but are way off about simple points.

And I can argue with a lot of people here simply because they are capable of listening and answering even through they think diferently than I do.And with them it's enriching they bring knowledge or interesting opinion.You bring nothing to the table except for straw man argument, ignorance and irrelevant points.
Maybe one day you will answer something relevant but as of now, I'm better off without you I don't have time to waste arguing against a wall.
At least the wall make less stupid points.

You've been proved wrong multiple times in this discussion so yep it's best you bail out as you're relying on insults rather than facts now.

DF went to Coalition and reported what they saw and what they were told and shown, that isn't bias it's just reporting the facts. This is Gears Ultimate and how it's changed. Of course they are going to repeat what they are shown and told, that doesn't mean they have been given a script at all, the facts about how the game has been remastered are just that and they repeated them.

Microsoft invited them to look at it and it's beneficial to both parties no doubt but did you expect them to turn down this sort of information? I think most people are glad they get to see this sort of stuff not bitter about it.

I didn't say Halo was mostly a PC game, yet another lie, I said the video you are constantly referencing to prove the Xbox bias is a video of PC Halo, which it is, this isn't disputed by anybody.

Both John and Alex talked about how Infinite could be helped by lighting changes but were also critical of LOD distances, motion blur and its last Gen throwbacks which they doubted could be fixed, looks like the bias suddenly ran out. They also called for the cancelling of the Xbox One versions and a bigger delay.

How about when DF went to MS and saw the Series S first? They then talked about how they thought it could be a problem and the specs weren't high enough to last the generation etc......I'm sure this is just what Microsoft wanted to hear after they gave them exclusive access!

So plenty of examples where you are just plain wrong and you are projecting your own bias onto them, I get the feeling this might be a tactic to try and discredit them before we see proper third party next gen comparisons.........

When Halo Infinite eventually comes out then DF will no doubt look at all the stuff you seem to believe they are avoiding and the frame rate, resolution etc will all be there in a measurable way for everyone to see.

Like I said, this is all factually measurable stuff so there is nowhere to hide or spin it.

Last edited:

Piggoro

Thats a shame, would rather have a better looking game with better lighting and effects and 60 FPS.

Hopefully next COD game wont be so cross gen.

Any game that runs at 120 FPS on console is not rolling out the best looks.
The bummer part is that we had a quite better-looking COD game last year - MW2019.

LucidFlux

Also LOD system seems to be left unchanged.

We will still be seeing pop in until engines have been reworked to allow for what is essentially infinite LOD like nanite in UE5.

In the interim I expected increased object draw distances and LODs in general to be pushed out to greater distances, so this does surprise me a bit here.

I doubt MM will work much differently but hopefully for the sequel they'll have reworked their engine.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I used to try to get my wife into gaming, some 20 years back... I am glad I failed at that task. One gamer per family is more than enough, also less expensive 😄
Yeah only reason I might get an XSX near launch is because of her lol Her cousins play games on Xbox, we generally play on Playstation.. so when she wants to play with her cousins she uses the Xbox.

It's definitely not cheap; I really should have ordered 2 PS5s for instance.. since I hesitated we'll be sharing until who knows when they are easy to get.

Dibils2k

if you only have an xbox i might agree, although there is a new Halo next year, and yes Day 1 i will be way more excited to play PS5 since i will have MM and Dark Souls to try out, but we dont know how 3rd partys will look/perform yet. Plus you have games like Medium on Gamepass which will be a easy try on Day 1

and while you may laugh at its backward compatibility, the fact i still play Gears 5 and Horizon 4 time to time and the fact they will get visual improvements is a exciting thing and i look forward to playing them Day 1

If you have zero interest in Xbox exclusives then yeah there is obviously no point getting one, since 3rd party difference might be the smallest yet, but that doesnt mean you should attack and accuse people who are looking forward to Xbox and enjoy their (currently very limited) 1st party games

I wish i was also excited about being able to play God Of War and Uncharted 4 in 4k/60fps day one but unfortunately Sony hates free upgrades, to me thats a really annoying thing about Sony but to some that will come off as me being a Xbox fanboy which is crazy to me... i can criticize a company but also enjoy other things they do

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm still cautiously excited for Halo Infinite myself.

*shrug*

It could absolutely blow as 343i are a joke at this point.. but ya never know! Plus open world Halo just sounds rad to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom