• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I really don;t understand the problem.

Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS4 & PS5) = New game, built cross-gen. Buy PS4 and you get the PS5 version included.
Spider-Man Remastered (PS5) = Old game, rebuilt for PS5 only. Buy it for ~$20 (via MM in game or bundled as part of MM ultimate) if you want or don't.
Spider-Man (PS4) = If you own this, you can still play it as it was sold to you on PS5.

What is the problem here? Developers have done work and are giving people the option to buy if they want. If you don't value that work then don't buy it.

Can’t you see how confusing this is? That’s the problem. You are forced to buy another game to get it. No simple Spiderman PS4 to PS5 upgrade or a standalone Spiderman remaster to buy for PS5. No way to get the upgrade without Miles Morales which is stupid.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Digital Foundry recently went to Crytek, then they analysed the Crysis Remaster on console and were not kind to it. They also had inside info with Infinity Ward and slated the Xbox One S version of Modern Warfare. It's pretty ironic to accuse people of being selective by being selective.

Vae_Victis

Banned
I want to fact-check something before I continue talking to my friend.

• The current prevailing rumor is that there is still one big name game remaster/remake coming for PS5, correct?
  • Frontrunners being Silent Hill, MGS or SOCOM, correct?
  • Whom is this rumor(s) credited to?
There are dozens of rumors, most very vague and/or coming from unreliable people, so I don't know what you are talking about exactly.

I don't think anybody in particular talked about MGS or SOCOM, the names are thrown around on forums but there isn't a single insider of any description confirming their existence.

Silent Hill was first talked about by Dusk Golem, who also correctly predicted not only the existence of Resident Evil VIII but exactly what it was about and the subtitle Village, so it's clear he has at the very least some sources connected to Capcom. He said multiple times that a Silent Hill reboot is in development by Japan Studio exclusively for PS5, but he also said it would probably be announced months ago and it could have been a launch window title, which at this point is very obviously not happening. So I don't know if he was making it all up to take the piss out of PlayStation fans (as he later seems to have done in a couple of occasions) or if the game is real but has been delayed and was moved to late 2021 or 2022.

Another person with a good-ish general credibility level, Moore's Law is Dead, also often says that the Silent Hill reboot is real, and that there are several more PS5 exclusives in the works already, but their release is scheduled a bit further down the road and Sony decided to not reveal everything at once.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
It's definitely worth a watch, and make up your own mind about it.
I exactly did, went in with an open mind. I should've known better, because well these are youtube content creators, they tend to push a certain narrative for clicks. Which was actually the case.

TL;DR: It is clear why he made this video. He wants more clicks, and he wants the people watching the DF video's to watch his video's. I get that. But the way he tries to achieve this, is by exaggerating, taking things out of context, all of that to fit a narrative. On top of that, by far the worst part of it all, is that he might be pushing a person to end it all. Stirring old shit up, jumping on the DF bias bandwagon, all for his own "brand growth", knowing fully well what this does to him. Based on nothing, but his own interpretations. That's so fucking despicable. Kingthrash Kingthrash

Breakdown of every issue I had with each section.

Scripted Gears Ultimate remaster video
No proof at all, he just thinks and feels the coalition gave them a script, or the information to write such a script. Apparently when DF creates content they have to sound incoherent, and can't take the time to write something proper.

Gears 5
This is where I got annoyed, and decided to put more time into this than I wanted. DF used an interview they did with The Coalition as one of many sources to highlight new elements in the game.What is so wrong with this? If you had the possibility to interview ND, and they explain you how they did the animations when a character moves through the water, wouldn't you use this? To explain the watcher/listener how this works? I don't even get the problem here.

Then he get this old post from NeoGAF where he already broke his issues down, and DF even took the time to answer all these questions honestly here. What is exactly the problem with his answers? Apparently in that thread, not that many issues anymore after DF answered them, but of course he doesn't properly show that in the video, because that doesn't fit the narrative. He sums it up by saying, DF just has "excuses". DF even said we only had 3-4 days with Gears 5 while we had 2-3 weeks with Spider-Man. That's why the Spider-Man analysis was more extensive when it came to reflections and stuff like that. You work with the time you have. But again, we don't mention this, because well narrative...

Crackdown 3
No proof at all again, just his interpretation of the video that is different from DF's analysis. But no proof...

Demon Souls RT
Tries to make a case that DF deliberately didn't want to see Demon Souls RT, while knowing a lot about it. His case is that on the one had DF wants to see the final build of Demons Souls to spot RT and see the difference between performance/non-performance mode, and how they implemented RT. While a couple of months ago they said RT might solve some problems for Halo Infinite and went very deep into RT tech. What he fails to mention, is that these were two different people reviewing... I understand that you would want DF to have a similar output of views, but these are two different people, at different times, looking at a game from a different angle with a different goal of the video.

That whole part was just a rambling of personal interpretations, and the only argument he really has is that DF can't drop a ball on ANYTHING. Every video has to be completely analysed completely, every aspect has to be discussed, and if they forget just one thing, he hits on that. Saying there is pattern, when there really isn't any.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Digital Foundry recently went to Crytek, then they analysed the Crysis Remaster on console and were not kind to it. They also had inside info with Infinity Ward and slated the Xbox One S version of Modern Warfare. It's pretty ironic to accuse people of being selective by being selective.
What great points you just posted ....
So Crysis which has nothing to do with microsoft.
And you second point is that one time they criticized the xbox Series S so they are not biased .... because to be biased mean you can't criticized even once said bias toward a platform ....
Even timdog and all his friends once criticized Xbox for not showing games so by your standard they aren't biased either.
You may feel how bad of a metric it is now ?

Lysandros

Moore's Law mentions the Cache in RDNA 2 cards here around 13 — 14 mins...

However Paul leaked the Cache here 2 weeks ago (Infinity Cache)

So I wonder if the same has been added to the PS5, not as large obviously, and engineered to not take up too much die space... Maybe stacked. 🧠
This would help the PS5 GDDR6 Memory bandwidth.

And a side thought... Has anyone been banned on here for the over use of emojis... Or could I be the first. 😝

Even if PS5 has 5mb of GPU L2 cache like XSX, it would have around 35% more L2 cache per CU.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Can’t you see how confusing this is? That’s the problem. You are forced to buy another game to get it. No simple Spiderman PS4 to PS5 upgrade or a standalone Spiderman remaster to buy for PS5. No way to get the upgrade without Miles Morales which is stupid.
You are not forced to do anything. But yes, I agree that if you want to buy just the remaster and that alone then I think they should allow that.

Riky

$MSFT
What great points you just posted ....
So Crysis which has nothing to do with microsoft.
And you second point is that one time they criticized the xbox Series S so they are not biased .... because to be biased mean you can't criticized even once said bias toward a platform ....
Even timdog and all his friends once criticized Xbox for not showing games so by your standard they aren't biased either.
You may feel how bad of a metric it is now ?

The video goes on about inside information and being blacklisted if you then don't tow the line does it not? I just watched it. I gave you an example where that is clearly not the case at all.

They constantly mock Xbox One S, do you watch their stuff? So it isn't "the one time" at all, again being selective.

xacto

I exactly did, went in with an open mind. I should've known better, because well these are youtube content creators, they tend to push a certain narrative for clicks. Which was actually the case.

TL;DR: It is clear why he made this video. He wants more clicks, and he wants the people watching the DF video's to watch his video's. I get that. But the way he tries to achieve this, is by exaggerating, taking things out of context, all of that to fit a narrative. On top of that, by far the worst part of it all, is that he might be pushing a person to end it all. Stirring old shit up, jumping on the DF bias bandwagon, all for his own "brand growth", knowing fully well what this does to him. Based on nothing, but his own interpretations. That's so fucking despicable. Kingthrash Kingthrash

Breakdown of every issue I had with each section.

Scripted Gears Ultimate remaster video
No proof at all, he just thinks and feels the coalition gave them a script, or the information to write such a script. Apparently when DF creates content they have to sound incoherent, and can't take the time to write something proper.

Gears 5
This is where I got annoyed, and decided to put more time into this than I wanted. DF used an interview they did with The Coalition as one of many sources to highlight new elements in the game.What is so wrong with this? If you had the possibility to interview ND, and they explain you how they did the animations when a character moves through the water, wouldn't you use this? To explain the watcher/listener how this works? I don't even get the problem here.

Then he get this old post from NeoGAF where he already broke his issues down, and DF even took the time to answer all these questions honestly here. What is exactly the problem with his answers? Apparently in that thread, not that many issues anymore after DF answered them, but of course he doesn't properly show that in the video, because that doesn't fit the narrative. He sums it up by saying, DF just has "excuses". DF even said we only had 3-4 days with Gears 5 while we had 2-3 weeks with Spider-Man. That's why the Spider-Man analysis was more extensive when it came to reflections and stuff like that. You work with the time you have. But again, we don't mention this, because well narrative...

Crackdown 3
No proof at all again, just his interpretation of the video that is different from DF's analysis. But no proof...

Demon Souls RT
Tries to make a case that DF deliberately didn't want to see Demon Souls RT, while knowing a lot about it. His case is that on the one had DF wants to see the final build of Demons Souls to spot RT and see the difference between performance/non-performance mode, and how they implemented RT. While a couple of months ago they said RT might solve some problems for Halo Infinite and went very deep into RT tech. What he fails to mention, is that these were two different people reviewing... I understand that you would want DF to have a similar output of views, but these are two different people, at different times, looking at a game from a different angle with a different goal of the video.

That whole part was just a rambling of personal interpretations, and the only argument he really has is that DF can't drop a ball on ANYTHING. Every video has to be completely analysed completely, every aspect has to be discussed, and if they forget just one thing, he hits on that. Saying there is pattern, when there really isn't any.

I totally agree with your take on the video, it's your opinion and I respect it. Not my opinion though, but we're different people and we are adult enough to acknowledge that.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Huh? MM is a free upgrade, and saves transfer.

Because it is probably the digital version of the game even on PS4. Old game saves won’t because it is treated as a different product.

The situation is confusing

While many PS4 games (including Yakuza) will offer free upgrades to their PS5 counterparts, that upgrade does not guarantee save data compatibility. Along similar lines, we learned last week that Spider-Man PS4 save files won’t transfer over to the remastered PS5 version of the game. But just to add an extra layer of confusion, save files for Spider-Man: Miles Morales on PS4 will transfer over to the upgraded PS5 version. The save file situation can differ drastically, even within different facets of the same game.

The frustrating thing is that it’s not clear what players should expect the “standard” approach to be.

Neo Blaster

ksdixon86 - soo streaming-only over PSNow, or can we download games to PS5 like XB GamePass?

HHG (in video) - Yes KS, you can download them, that's what I'm explaining. They can be downloaded.
Promising if true, but they're still locking people out of BC where there's no PS Now.

If you need PS Now for BC, Ps5 has no BC
BC means you can play your existing disks or downloads the same way you could on your old console.

What is this weird PS Now BC talk about?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The video goes on about inside information and being blacklisted if you then don't tow the line does it not? I just watched it. I gave you an example where that is clearly not the case at all.

They constantly mock Xbox One S, do you watch their stuff? So it isn't "the one time" at all, again being selective.
Maybe watch again the video it talks about difference of treatment between Ms and others like not being able to fin RT in sony games (multiple times) whereas reading a script for their Ms videos .... Tell in which video have they ever used their now famous "it looks bad because it is in the shadows" ?
In which analysis haven't they talked about resolution especially when it is dynamic?
So great they told bad thing about the series S .... and that's it and that's also mostly because most gamedev aren't happy with it and are vocal about it.
Once again tell me do you think Timdog and misterxmedia aren't biased ?Because if we follow you logic they aren't, or to formulate it better they are as objective as Digital Foundry.

kyliethicc

I get why some people don't like that, but its not confusing. The remaster is its own game, hence why saves don't carry over.

And your save from the PS4 game will carry over if you want to play that PS4 game on PS5. Just not the new remaster.

ksdixon

Promising if true, but they're still locking people out of BC where there's no PS Now.

PSNow's number of games far outweighs XB GP's.

PSNow and PS+ are both £50 GBP per year, much cheaper than XB GP Ult, when we're not talking about a £1 entry offer, or gaming that offer to eat 3 years GP Ult for cheap.

PSNow's entire problem has been that some of its games aren't downloadable, and some that are steam-only are so laggy they're literally unplayable (MK9 for me).

If Sony solve this by making all games downloadable, they're automatically winning. If they go further and pump more PS1-2-3 games onto PSNow, that's even better.

It will be similar to PS Plus at the beginning of PS4. "You can only play online MP if you have PS+" "Thats ok, I already have PS+ because it's good on its own merits".
"You can only have PS1-2-3 BC if you have PSNow", "That's ok, I already have PSNow based on it's own merits".

VFXVeteran

Banned
What do you think about spidey's reflection not quite lining up at its contact points? John Linneman suggested it's because spidey himself might be SSR, though the original game does have SSR for the player and it never resolves the entire figure. Could they be blending the RT and SSR reflection seamlessly, or could something else be going on?

Where is DF review of this? I can never find half the DF videos on their website as opposed to the links on here for some reason.

PSNow and PS+ are both £50 GBP per year, much cheaper than XB GP Ult, when we're not talking about a £1 entry offer, or gaming that offer to eat 3 years GP Ult for cheap.

PSNow's entire problem has been that some of its games aren't downloadable, and some that are steam-only are so laggy they're literally unplayable (MK9 for me).

If Sony solve this by making all games downloadable, they're automatically winning. If they go further and pump more PS1-2-3 games onto PSNow, that's even better.

It will be similar to PS Plus at the beginning of PS4. "You can only play online MP if you have PS+" "Thats ok, I already have PS+ because it's good on its own merits".
"You can only have PS1-2-3 BC if you have PSNow", "That's ok, I already have PSNow based on it's own merits".

Will PSNOW be avaliable for all regional this time?

If You are able to download Just like in Spotify, its over for gamepass.

kyliethicc

The only chance Sony ever does any form of PS1 PS2 PS3 backwards compatiblity on PS5 is by announcing all games on PS Now can now be downloaded and played locally, no need to stream them.

Sony will never let people put their old PS1 PS2 or PS3 game discs into the PS5 and play them without PS Now.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

I thought you CAN download games with PSNow, or is this not every game? Just some?

Riky

$MSFT
Maybe watch again the video it talks about difference of treatment between Ms and others like not being able to fin RT in sony games (multiple times) whereas reading a script for their Ms videos .... Tell in which video have they ever used their now famous "it looks bad because it is in the shadows" ?
In which analysis haven't they talked about resolution especially when it is dynamic?
So great they told bad thing about the series S .... and that's it and that's also mostly because most gamedev aren't happy with it and are vocal about it.
Once again tell me do you think Timdog and misterxmedia aren't biased ?Because if we follow you logic they aren't, or to formulate it better they are as objective as Digital Foundry.

I just watched it, you didn't answer my points at all, I wonder why. It says clearly that if you get inside information you are not going to risk being "blacklisted" and losing that access, does it say that or not???? I have given you an example where that clearly is not the case, you ignore it.

They probably didn't delve into the resolution etc of I presume you're talking about Halo Infinite because it was a PC game, it wasn't even running on XSX. Why pixel count something on a PC?

You said that "one time" when they slated Xbox One S, I can go and get quotes if you like but I know for a fact the poor performance of the One S is mentioned numerous times over the last generation.

I don't know who Timdog and Mister whatever are? Who do they work for?

VFXVeteran

Banned
What do you think about spidey's reflection not quite lining up at its contact points? John Linneman suggested it's because spidey himself might be SSR, though the original game does have SSR for the player and it never resolves the entire figure. Could they be blending the RT and SSR reflection seamlessly, or could something else be going on?

I just got a good look at the screenshot again. It's definitely RT reflections. SSR won't look that detailed. The offset is not only applied to Spiderman. If you look at the brown truck in the street, that is also shifted to the back by the same offset. My theory is that the ray that is being cast from the window is offset by a little bit. This could be because of the fresnel factor they use or it could be because they introduce an offset into the code. It's nothing to worry about.

kyliethicc

There are dozens of rumors, most very vague and/or coming from unreliable people, so I don't know what you are talking about exactly.

I don't think anybody in particular talked about MGS or SOCOM, the names are thrown around on forums but there isn't a single insider of any description confirming their existence.

Silent Hill was first talked about by Dusk Golem, who also correctly predicted not only the existence of Resident Evil VIII but exactly what it was about and the subtitle Village, so it's clear he has at the very least some sources connected to Capcom. He said multiple times that a Silent Hill reboot is in development by Japan Studio exclusively for PS5, but he also said it would probably be announced months ago and it could have been a launch window title, which at this point is very obviously not happening. So I don't know if he was making it all up to take the piss out of PlayStation fans (as he later seems to have done in a couple of occasions) or if the game is real but has been delayed and was moved to late 2021 or 2022.

Another person with a good-ish general credibility level, Moore's Law is Dead, also often says that the Silent Hill reboot is real, and that there are several more PS5 exclusives in the works already, but their release is scheduled a bit further down the road and Sony decided to not reveal everything at once.
If you believe someone like Colin Moriarty, he has said multiple times that Guerrilla is rebooting SOCOM and a new Sony studio in San Deigo is making the next Uncharted game. So thats a rumor.

Guerrilla did hire the former Game Director of Rainbow Six Siege and he currently is working on an unannounced game. This guy isn't directing Horizon 2, thats the same director as Horizon 1. So there's clearly a second team at GG, with FPS experience, working on something other than Horizon. One of the leads even worked on an old SOCOM game before.

Colin also kept saying over the last few years that he knew Insomniac was making a new Ratchet & Clank game and thought it would be a PS5 launch game. So he may know a few things, he has had some connections in the past with Sony devs.

But yeah the Silent Hill and MGS remake rumors are seemingly just internet gossip, but who knows. Japan Studio could be working on something else, and Bluepoint did tease a while back they are doing a 2nd remake besides DS.

Falc67

Performance mode feels weird in comparison to PS4 Pro. Where did the trees shadows go?

e25cf923-0dd1-1edf-f043-45b3c742a278

962c275d-6c9b-72e5-df92-401be4ac679d

f2fda685-4286-0d94-7d58-11c48fbc887b
de8713f9-8464-58af-3d13-d9b2f84b4ade

Also LOD system seems to be left unchanged.

Clip from the video
Also where have the vehicles gone?

Riky

$MSFT
Sure its dynamic 4k, but its still impressive.

Im yet to see any multiplatform game having a different setting for XSX because of muh 12tf, rdna1 for Ps5

We were told ps5 Just cant render 120fps, but every game so Far runs the same🧐😁😬

We don't know that as if it's dynamic we don't know how often each version runs at full 4K or maintains 120fps and we don't know the lower limits on each. When we know this then we will know if they are the same or not.

MastaKiiLA

Expect this as standard for console ray tracing. Without DLSS you can't render the entire image at a much lower resolution then use AI to upscale for a convincing 4K image. So the other choice is you render the reflections at a lower resolution and maintain playable framerate. I don't mind it, it's not glaringly low res.
As most surfaces aren't perfect mirrors, it's definitely the sensible thing to do. I assume only true mirrors will see a 1:1 resolution reflection. Otherwise, even in a worst-case scenario like that window shot, it's not how gamers will spend the majority of the game. Most of the game should be spent in motion, so losing some detail in the reflection still achieves a realistic effect. Only when someone stops to study the reflection carefully, will they be able to notice the differences.

I'm looking forward to seeing a video of fidelity mode, to see how convincing the effect is in motion. I think we already got a taste of that in the reveal trailer for MM.

Shio

WOW 4K 120fps

I hope i'm wrong but i think the majority of these 4k 120fps games on the new consoles are all cross-gen games which were created with a lower target and when ported to the next-gen consoles, easy win was was increase fps and resolution, thats why we have 4k 120fps. I would be suprised if we got 4k 120fps once well into next-gen as then i would expect them to focus more on the effects and dial the fps back to 30/60.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I get why some people don't like that, but its not confusing. The remaster is its own game, hence why saves don't carry over.

And your save from the PS4 game will carry over if you want to play that PS4 game on PS5. Just not the new remaster.

For the average consumer it is and they could’ve handled it better. Giantbomb speculated in the latest podcast that it might be a licensing issue. who knows.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned

Great video that shed some light on DF double standards ,

Just look at how Rich went full damage control during PS4 / XboxOne launch period enjoy reading in the quoted, I already posted that almost two years ago on this same thread , still hilarious to this day, especially the part saying 16Rops is more than enough for 1080p knowing how XboxOne barely reach this resolution if ever lol

Blast from the past:
DF: Orbis(PS4) vs Durango (X1) Specs analysis

Notice how Rich tried his hardest to mitigate the obvious power advantage of PS4.
So does the GPU difference translate into as large an advantage as it sounds? VGleaks' Orbis spec, again derived from platform holder documentation, suggests that four of these CUs are reserved for Compute functions, conceivably bringing the PlayStation's raw advantage down from 50 per cent to just over 16. However, while Compute is often used for elements like physics calculations, there's nothing to stop coders hiving off specific graphics features to this hardware - Just Cause 2, for example, used NVIDIA's own Compute solution, CUDA, for enhanced water effects, while a core element of Battlefield 3 - the deferred shading solution that power its beautiful lighting - is handled via DirectX 11 Compute shader code.

Apparently more ROPs in PS4 in overkill and not needed, 16 in Xone is sufficient for 1080p gaming Lol 🤣

Other information has also come to light offering up a further Orbis advantage: the Sony hardware has a surprisingly large 32 ROPs (Render Output units) up against 16 on Durango. ROPs translate pixel and texel values into the final image sent to the display: on a very rough level, the more ROPs you have, the higher the resolution you can address (hardware anti-aliasing capability is also tied into the ROPs). 16 ROPs is sufficient to maintain 1080p, 32 comes across as overkill, but it could be useful for addressing stereoscopic 1080p for instance, or even 4K.

Teraflops difference is moot .

There's an argument that suggests that comparing Durango and Orbis on these terms is not realistic; that the platform holders have far more control over the design of the silicon than the raw specs suggest; that they can be adapted with manufacturer-specific 'secret sauce' customisations. The raw teraflop measurements being mooted - 1.23TF for Durango and 1.84TF for Orbis - have been dismissed as meaningless, and to a certain extent that is true.

Xbox Secret customisations 🤣

But here we do see some intriguing enhancements that are Durango-specific. Its 'Data Move Engines' carry out hardware compression as well as decompression (and support for JPEG too - perhaps to handle Kinect camera streams), while there is also support for texture swizzling. However, the main takeaway here is that core elements of the Move Engine functionality are apparently designed to extract the best performance from a RAM set-up that is much more complex (and slower) than its Orbis equivalent.

Pffff, Games doesn't need ultra fast bandwidth on PS4, if they did there is Esram!!!

However, while the disadvantages are obvious, this is not to say that the situation is anything like a complete disaster for Durango development. Speaking to game makers, the impression we come away with is that not every feature in a game actually requires ultra-fast memory. Systems will be developed on the DDR3, and if memory throughput becomes an issue, those features will be ported over to the ESRAM where there's enough bandwidth to provide the raw performance if needed.

The magic of DirectX lol.

Also mitigating the difference to a certain extent is the fact that Durango operates under an enhanced version of DirectX 11 - dubbed internally DirectX 11.x. It's highly likely that crucial rendering functions will automatically be optimised by Microsoft for use with the ESRAM.

He even added both DDR3 and Eram bandwidth together for it to match GDDR5 on PS4 😭🤣

Man, It was fun browsing that thread, hopefully you can get as much enjoyment of it as I did....until we get a legit leak for PS5 🤣.

FunkMiller

You're right. It's fucking stupid.

But I'm not sure it's really much of an issue (for either console - XBox's approach has its own confusions).

Fact is, people with Ps5s/XsXs will buy Ps5/XsX versions of games. People with Ps4s/X1Xs will buy Ps4/X1X versions of games. I think all this cross-gen nonsense is way overhyped by the games companies.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I just watched it, you didn't answer my points at all, I wonder why. It says clearly that if you get inside information you are not going to risk being "blacklisted" and losing that access, does it say that or not???? I have given you an example where that clearly is not the case, you ignore it.

They probably didn't delve into the resolution etc of I presume you're talking about Halo Infinite because it was a PC game, it wasn't even running on XSX. Why pixel count something on a PC?

You said that "one time" when they slated Xbox One S, I can go and get quotes if you like but I know for a fact the poor performance of the One S is mentioned numerous times over the last generation.

I don't know who Timdog and Mister whatever are? Who do they work for?
I didn't answer mostly because what you first wrote missed a few words. that's quite easy.And that part about being blacklisted what do you want to say ?That they knew some things but couldn't say it ?What you want to say me be very clear in your head but what you are writting is barely understandable.
Because what I think I understood from that gibberish is that they had information and couldn't disclose them to avoid being blacklisted ?

Which has absolutely nothing to with biased analysis, and you bought the PC argument ?
So they can't analyse what is releasing on PC ?But they can produce an apologetic video about how the shadow makes the game look bad ?

And they criticized the X1s in their comparison video ? Great now tell me how was it possible to spin in a good way when resolution is lower and framerate worse ?Sometimes spinning is not possible so you just have to tell the truth.

You need to get out of that manichean way of thinking if they said a few bad things on Xbox doesn't mean that they aren't biased.

And those guys are the most loyal Xbox fanboys (to get you an idea Timdog confessed proudly harrassing kids in store that wanted to buy a ps3 or 4) even they criticized microsoft from time to times by your logic they aren't fanboy but objective gamers.

Maybe you just need to be informed and follow more all the things that happened.
LIke that battalion dude when provided with an obvious ray traced screenshot of spiderman saying it wasn't, and when corrected by the studio finding the excuse that the studio did a terrible job at providing screenshot showing it.
All that when it was already confirmed to be and obvious to each and everyone.
There's a mountain of evidences at least for Alex and yet some of you are like "but he once said something bad about Xbox so he can't be biased".
Do you have any idea how ridiculous that is ?
Being biased is absolutely not about never saying bad things it's about a difference of treatment between parties.
Let's put it that way imagine I'm a father and I compliment all my children, and ground them when they do a bad thing.
But when I have a candy I only give it to one of them, the same every time ,and when he does bad things I ground him but for lles time than the others.

By your logic I'm not biased toward that child because when he fucked up I grounded him too.That's your logic in action right there.
Whereas some of us say hey maybe treat the other kids like you did with the first one ?

MastaKiiLA

I hope i'm wrong but i think the majority of these 4k 120fps games on the new consoles are all cross-gen games which were created with a lower target and when ported to the next-gen consoles, easy win was was increase fps and resolution, thats why we have 4k 120fps. I would be suprised if we got 4k 120fps once well into next-gen as then i would expect them to focus more on the effects and dial the fps back to 30/60.
This very much seems to be the case, and I'm not sure it's a good idea. Setting that 120fps target now locks your franchise into that sort of expectation going forward. This means you always have to dedicate a lower image quality setting, and optimize it.

On the upside, if this is only for games that traditionally target 60fps on current-gen, then it's no different than the current-gen 30fps games offering a 60fps mode. Still, I prefer when devs stick to one fidelity mode, and optimize the hell out of that. I think it allows them to maximize the vision of their game, within the confines of the target hardware. I'm perfectly fine with 30fps games that look gorgeous. There are more than a few of us who set out PC games at the highest possible detail level, while maintaining a 30+ refresh rate. I've done this with both cutting edge graphics cards, and ass-end graphics cards. I just want the best visuals possible, with no stutter. 30fps is smooth enough for me.

ksdixon

If you need PS Now for BC, Ps5 has no BC
BC means you can play your existing disks or downloads the same way you could on your old console.

What is this weird PS Now BC talk about?

If it let's you play non PS5 games on PS5 --- If it runs locally on the PS5 --- then it's BC no matter how you slice it.

You might not like a "PSNow paywall", but that's business these days. We don't technically "own" games anymore, even if we purchase discs, as per the terms of service. I'm pretty sure that discs are just a base game installation medium now, even then we must download patches and updates to be allowed to play many games.

For what it's worth, I think even XB's BC just uses your old disc as an authentication thing, and downloads a digital copy of a game. Isn't that what "smart delivery" is all aboit? Serving you up the correct digital version of your game based on your hardware?

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I just got a good look at the screenshot again. It's definitely RT reflections. SSR won't look that detailed. The offset is not only applied to Spiderman. If you look at the brown truck in the street, that is also shifted to the back by the same offset. My theory is that the ray that is being cast from the window is offset by a little bit. This could be because of the fresnel factor they use or it could be because they introduce an offset into the code. It's nothing to worry about.
What is funny is that they had the same problem with Ratchet and Clank until it got fix in the next showing.

My guess is that they will use some upscaling techniques to try to reach 60fps or maybe even 120fps on a lot of games. Look at Sony's next gen games like R&C and DS, I think that's some of the things we can expect going forward when more demading games are being released, hell, maybe even COD is using some type of upscaling technique in the 120fps mode. But the good thing is we have reached the point where upscaled resolutions can look as good as native resolutions so the future is bright.

Last edited:
On top of that, by far the worst part of it all, is that he might be pushing a person to end it all. Stirring old shit up, jumping on the DF bias bandwagon, all for his own "brand growth", knowing fully well what this does to him. Based on nothing, but his own interpretations. That's so fucking despicable. Kingthrash Kingthrash
If you're insinuating that this is the end goal of that video, you are despicable.

DF id putting themselves out as some sort of authority on game analysis, and should be able to handle someone criticizing their work.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
If you're insinuating that this is the end goal of that video, you are despicable.

DF are putting them self out as some sort of authority on game analysis, and should be able to handle someone criticizing their work.
No. The goal is to get more clicks... Learn to read.

Riky

$MSFT
I didn't answer mostly because what you first wrote missed a few words. that's quite easy.And that part about being blacklisted what do you want to say ?That they knew some things but couldn't say it ?What you want to say me be very clear in your head but what you are writting is barely understandable.
Because what I think I understood from that gibberish is that they had information and couldn't disclose them to avoid being blacklisted ?

Which has absolutely nothing to with biased analysis, and you bought the PC argument ?
So they can't analyse what is releasing on PC ?But they can produce an apologetic video about how the shadow makes the game look bad ?

And they criticized the X1s in their comparison video ? Great now tell me how was it possible to spin in a good way when resolution is lower and framerate worse ?Sometimes spinning is not possible so you just have to tell the truth.

You need to get out of that manichean way of thinking if they said a few bad things on Xbox doesn't mean that they aren't biased.

And those guys are the most loyal Xbox fanboys (to get you an idea Timdog confessed proudly harrassing kids in store that wanted to buy a ps3 or 4) even they criticized microsoft from time to times by your logic they aren't fanboy but objective gamers.

Maybe you just need to be informed and follow more all the things that happened.
LIke that battalion dude when provided with an obvious ray traced screenshot of spiderman saying it wasn't, and when corrected by the studio finding the excuse that the studio did a terrible job at providing screenshot showing it.
All that when it was already confirmed to be and obvious to each and everyone.
There's a mountain of evidences at least for Alex and yet some of you are like "but he once said something bad about Xbox so he can't be biased".
Do you have any idea how ridiculous that is ?
Being biased is absolutely not about never saying bad things it's about a difference of treatment between parties.
Let's put it that way imagine I'm a father and I compliment all my children, and ground them when they do a bad thing.
But when I have a candy I only give it to one of them, the same every time ,and when he does bad things I ground him but for lles time than the others.

By your logic I'm not biased toward that child because when he fucked up I grounded him too.That's your logic in action right there.
Whereas some of us say hey maybe treat the other kids like you did with the first one ?

Missed words? Writing? You mispelled that by the way.

You are the one talking gibberish as you won't answer direct questions.

The video in question states that they went to the coalition and with that sort of inside access couldn't say anything bad because they would be blacklisted and lose access to that sort of inside knowledge. I say they went to Crytek and did exactly that. Deny the video says that.

You say why didn't they talk about variable resolutions etc on Halo Infinite, I said because it's a PC version, that isnt a "PC argument" it's a statement of fact. When have Digital Foundry pixel counted a PC game before? What would be the point of pixel counting a PC game? What would it prove about the XSX version that nobody has seen?

Maybe they didn't try to spin the lower frame rates and lower resolution of Xbox One S games because they don't spin anything, they are measurable by other parties to and are measured by other outlets. The very definition of what they do can't be spun because other people can measure them too.

kyliethicc

For the average consumer it is and they could’ve handled it better. Giantbomb speculated in the latest podcast that it might be a licensing issue. who knows.
For your average gamer, its actually very simple.

"Do you own the Spider-Man PS4 game?"
"Yes."
"Put that disc in your PS5 and play it."

"Can I load my save from my PS4?"
"Yes."
"Cool."

I was a just a dumb kid, yet even I understood the "confusing" concept of how the new Nintendo Wii could play my Game Cube games.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Thrash's goal is to garner viewers, so I think some hyperbole and embellishment is to be expected. It can't be a stoic case study, as no one would want to watch that. I haven't had a chance to watch the latest video, as I'm currently stuck watching Thai daytime television, but I'll be sure to check it out later. I find him entertaining, though I don't have the personal bandwidth for the longer podcasts. Hopefully an hour is easy to digest. My attention span isn't always that big though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom