• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda refuse to believe that a dev studio of that size, 5 years cooking time, and one of the most expensive games ever made, looks that basic because of corvid, corvid has only been about 4 months when they demoed it. Maybe it was more try to get to run on all 3 consoles, one x, series s and x.

Or perhaps 343 are that bad, I mean it happens, look at athem, thats also possible
Crackdown 3 was also being developed for awhile and we got the mediocre, downgraded thing we got when coivid wasn't a thing. Definitely wasn't because of coivid only gullible people believe that story with Halo.

For those saying the PS5 is more expensive than the Series X, consider this
  • Sony is likely only buying 1 size of ram
  • Their APU is likely smaller than the Series X, in spite of the custom hardware
  • Since they sold more than double the consoles and are expecting to sell even more, they are likely getting better prices per component
  • They only have 1 major SKU with a drive difference, so tooling costs are likely cheaper
This leads me to believe that whatever losses MS is having at 499, Sony will have a proportional loss at 449. Not saying they will sell at this price, but it's not as inconceivable

• One uniform motherboard
  • Likely using Sony's automated manufacturing like that of the PS4.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's the thing about the internet, let alone any cultural difference. With such a huge amount of people that can see what you post you're almost guaranteed for half the people to agree with you and the other half to hate you for saying it. :)

Sometimes you should give no fucks when you think you don't really offend anyone, otherwise who's offended should have no vacation during Christmas, or Eids here. I think some people have nothing interesting to enjoy but to make up something to feel victim or offended.🤷‍♂️

DaGwaphics

I cant tell the difference between native and true 4k.
But fullhd and 4k ? Night and day.
Same goes for oled. I cant take a look on any led :(

It would surprise me if most couldn't see the difference between HD and UHD. The issue is do the masses care. There was an article a ways back that said that more 1S systems were connected to UHD TVs than 1X units, this is information that both companies would have readily available for their products.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Well, as we wrap up the week I just want to say that I think Microsoft's move to have the new Xbox's available EARLY in November is the right way to go. I've always been puzzled why they would wait often until after Black Friday to make them available. I would think early November or even October would be the best time to have products launched. Can get that initial holiday rush and still restock at least a few times before the end of the year. Will be curious to see if Sony now sticks to a late November availability or if the shoot for earlier as well.. Make it October 1, please!!! :)

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
For those saying the PS5 is more expensive than the Series X, consider this
  • Sony is likely only buying 1 size of ram
  • Their APU is likely smaller than the Series X, in spite of the custom hardware
  • Since they sold more than double the consoles and are expecting to sell even more, they are likely getting better prices per component
  • They only have 1 major SKU with a drive difference, so tooling costs are likely cheaper
This leads me to believe that whatever losses MS is having at 499, Sony will have a proportional loss at 449. Not saying they will sell at this price, but it's not as inconceivable
the PS5 apu is around 20% smaller so 20% cheaper. assuming the apu cost MS $150, we can assume sony will save $30 here.

the ps5 ram is 20% slower. that is a cost decision in itself since the github leaks had sony in the 500 gbps range as well. they are likely saving around $10-20 here.

the ps5 cooling solution is more expensive than it used to be but its still only a few dollars. not the $20-30 ms pays for vapor chamber cooling. Penello who seemed to have figured out the whole sandwich strategy was baffled by it on era. that was the main thing he picked up on in the bloomberg bom article, and i bet as one of the architects of the sandwich strategy he didnt anticipate sony saving $20-25 dollars on a better cooling solution. He said that they expected the ps5 to be a $399 8 tflops console and i believe sony hitting 10 tflops threw a wrench in their plans. even at 9.2 tflops they probably thought they were in the clear becuase the cooling solution must have been more expensive than theirs but if the bloomberg article is to be believed then its only a few dollars and way cheaper than vapor chamber cooling.

i think where sony got fucked is in the ssd prices. but this thing looks like it was designed to be a $399 console from the get go. that said, their ssd is a custom ssd by sony themselves so they are probably not paying any kind of royalties or pruchase surchage to samsung like MS is.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
if they dont have dev kits then how come they are complaining about s?
pc is a dev kit too you know, and probably the most loaded kit with tools

Because if I told you how about I give you 10gigs of ram and you have access to only 7.5gigs and you have to have full next gen games running at 1440p. You don't need to be a genius to know that it's fucked up, heck 16GB is already thin on XSX. PS5 having state of the art storage does mitigate that to some extent, along with Geometry Engines frame polygon budget. Not sure how is that hard to understand.

Last edited:
Because if I told you how about I give you 10gigs of ram and you have access to only 7.5gigs and you have to have full next gen games running on 1440p. You don't need to be a genius to know that it's fucked up, heck 16GB is already thin on XSX. PS5 having state of the art storage does mitigate that to some extent, along with Geometry Engines frame polygon budget. Not sure how is that hard to understand.
Actually if you could read the SDK notes, problems they were having were of more rookie level than this.
anyway, you forgot the symbol after "playstation state of the art storage and geometry engine"
you should not forget the important things ;]

What are you worried about Bo? Are you afraid that you will click the icon of the game on the console and it won't start?

I mean as long as the developers have access to console hardware I don't see why it should be a problem. The hardware in these consoles is a little bit different than what you get in a PC. You can't just copy and paste a game over without running into some issues. That's basically the main concern of not making games with dev kits.

With that said I'm pretty sure the big names in development have dev kits. It's only the smaller developers that probably have issues getting them.

you forgot the symbol after "playstation state of the art storage and geometry engine"
you should not forget the important things ;]

Well I'll give you the I/O complex but the geometry engine is also in the XSX and XSS.

2SfjyBh8BAJfsmWn.jpg

71340_512_understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-deep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech_full.png

Last edited:
Shhhhhh!! don't let Bo learn about this

There's the speculation that it's been customized differently on the PS5 but we don't have any proof of that yet. All Cerny said was that it was new for Playstation.

You know what I find really interesting?

807-block-diagram.jpg

Is that Polaris has a geometry processor in it and the PS4 Pro is based off polaris if I'm not mistaken. Pretty interesting how they are saying it's something new for the PS5.

Maybe geometry engine =/= geometry processor. No idea if that's true since I don't know alot about tech.

Last edited:
There's the speculation that it's been customized differently on the PS5 but we don't have any proof of that yet. All Cerny said was that it was new for Playstation.
I am sure that whatever master cerny designed will be the best ™ ;Ρ

Anyway, since that bill of materials from bloomberg is being mentioned, with the "few dollar" cooling solution, maybe now some understand why I keep asking for stripdown and hands-on
That's practically the only thing I care about regarding ps5 performance

Last edited:
I am sure that whatever master cerny designed will be the best ™ ;Ρ

Anyway, since that bill of materials from bloomberg is being mentioned, with the "few dollar" cooling solution, maybe now some understand why I keep asking for stripdown and hands-on
That's practically the only thing I care about regarding ps5 performance

No your mistaken about Cerny. He isn't perfect but he's a pretty smart guy and im sure he did a good job with the PS5. It's not like it's going to be a nightmare for developers like the PS3 was.

I also don't think you need to believe that youtube comment about PS5s overheating and dying. I don't know if the console will be silent but it shouldn't have any issues due to heat. They are pushing some pretty high clocks and it would be dumb to have basic cooling in something like that.

Aceofspades

Banned
I mean as long as the developers have access to console hardware I don't see why it should be a problem. The hardware in these consoles is a little bit different than what you get in a PC. You can't just copy and paste a game over without running into some issues. That's basically the main concern of not making games with dev kits.

With that said I'm pretty sure the big names in development have dev kits. It's only the smaller developers that probably have issues getting them.

Well I'll give you the I/O complex but the geometry engine is also in the XSX and XSS.

2SfjyBh8BAJfsmWn.jpg

71340_512_understanding-the-ps5s-ssd-deep-dive-into-next-gen-storage-tech_full.png

Cerny said that "Cache scrubbers" are custom designed for PS5, not geometry engines. People always get these two mixed

Cerny said that "Cache scrubbers" are custom designed for PS5, not geometry engines. People always get these two mixed

It's all the talk on how the geometry engine is customized for the PS5 that got me confused.

But yes cache scrubbers do sound incredibly useful. Instead of flushing out the entire cache you can just choose what data you want to eliminate. It will make the cache alot more efficient.

Interesting comment from RGT, he's mentioned a few times in his videos now that he was told by developers that both the PS5 and Series X games will form their own "distinct looks" early on in next-gen, I assume he's talking about the first party games but I'm curious as to what this "distinct look" will be.

I'll talk my ass out.

PS5 distinct look will be about higher asset density - higher texture res, more geometry. Because PS5 has more RAM and much faster SSD. Also gpu is clocked higher.

XSX distinct look is about the little TF advantage provided it is squeezed out. Additional effects perhaps or higher pixel count.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member

2SfjyBh8BAJfsmWn.jpg

You know what I find really interesting?

807-block-diagram.jpg

Is that Polaris has a geometry processor in it and the PS4 Pro is based off polaris if I'm not mistaken. Pretty interesting how they are saying it's something new for the PS5.

Maybe geometry engine =/= geometry processor. No idea if that's true since I don't know alot about tech.
I agree we need further clarification on the functions of the Geometry Engine as well as it's feature set. However I would add that the term "geometry engine" is a technical term used in graphics hardware, you can find it being referenced as far back as the 80's.

Mark Cerny stated that the PS5's Geometry Engine allows for the complete control over the graphics rendering pipeline. this is significant for things like performance saving optimisation methods such as culling. As far as I am aware the Geometry Engine in the Polaris GPU's served a similar function however it didn't allow "complete" control over the graphics rendering pipeline compared to what's featured in the PS5. This has also been echoed by Matt Hargett the former Playstation engineer who was discussing graphics in the recent RGT podcast, he mentioned "geometry engines" and quickly added "not trademarked" or something along the lines of that, clearly implying that he was not referring to PS5's "Geometry Engine" (with a upper case G) but using it instead as a technical term. Another feature of the GE is "Primitive Shaders".

That was from what is publicly available however if we want to step into the realm of speculation and leaks, RedGamingTech has mentioned the PS5's Geometry Engine a few times now and talks about how it's deeply customised as well as being unique to the PS5. Additionally he added that features like VRS (Variable Rate Shading) will work in tandem with the PS5's Geometry Engine allowing the VRS to be much more precise and that it will "run circles around" Series X's VRS capability. He was also the first to mention that the PS5's GE will be featured in the RDNA 3 architecture and that it's geometry handling capabilities are significantly better then the standard RDNA 2 GE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree we need further clarification on the functions of the Geometry Engine as well as it's feature set. However I would add that the term "geometry engine" is a technical term used in graphics hardware, you can find it being referenced as far back as the 80's.

Mark Cerny stated that the PS5's Geometry Engine allows for the complete control over the graphics rendering pipeline. this is significant for things like performance saving optimisation methods such as culling. As far as I am aware the Geometry Engine in the Polaris GPU's served a similar function however it didn't allow "complete" control over the graphics rendering pipeline compared to what's featured in the PS5. This has also been echoed by Matt Hargett the former Playstation engineer who was discussing graphics in the recent RGT podcast, he mentioned "geometry engines" and quickly added "not trademarked" or something along the lines of that, clearly implying that he was not referring to PS5's "Geometry Engine" (with a upper case G) but using it instead as a technical term. Another feature of the GE is "Primitive Shaders".

That was from what is public available however if we want to step into the realm of speculation and leaks, RedGamingTech has mentioned the PS5's Geometry Engine a few times now and talks about how it's deeply customised as well as being unique to the PS5. Additionally he added that features like VRS (Variable Rate Shading) will work in tandem with the PS5's Geometry Engine allowing the VRS to be much more precise and that it will "run circles around" Series X's VRS capability. He was also the first to mention that the PS5's GE will be featured in the RDNA 3 architecture and that it's geometry handling capabilities are significantly better then the standard RDNA 2 GE.

That makes alot of sense to me. I'm sure previous PlayStations had geometry processors in them but the one in the PS5 is more advanced. Like you said it allows developers alot more control than before. As for the customizations that certainly can be true but without a detailed breakdown from Sony it will be almost impossible to determine.

I know there's alot that we don't know about the PS5. And I also know that alot of that stuff will never be fully revealed. But what I think we should do as gamers is judge the games on the PS5 to determine if the performance is acceptable or not to us.

Shmunter

I've seen our own o'dium being quoted everywhere on twitter and youtube today

Seems to be predicated around 4k vs 1080p. No nuance given on GPU resources being deployed for scene density instead of pixel counts. A strategy expected to be more and more prevalent into next gen...or at least it was.

Again, it’s not the strict theoretical of what’s possible in a technical sense. It’s about the extra work involved. And how many devs under time and budget constraints will put in the added work to maximise clever usage of each consoles power.

Last edited:

marvifrom

Am I the only who still feels M$ is hiding another surprise? The "we don't believe in generations" comment, I feel has a lot to say with how they see the future of gaming will look like. I'm seriously thinking M$ has found a way that gamers may be able to upgrade their nexgen console specs whether by external GPUs or being able to switch out the board in the console,

You don't deserve that to be honest.
:messenger_winking_tongue:
well, if my based lord cerny secret sauce rdna3 playstation 5 advantage will be noisy,
then its gonna be spending the vast majority of its life powered off.
as simple as that. no way am I going again though multiple playstations for disappointment
I know sony and lord cerny would prefer me feeding it with dollars daily, so its up to them. no sweat for me

Am I the only who still feels M$ is hiding another surprise? The "we don't believe in generations" comment, I feel has a lot to say with how they see the future of gaming will look like. I'm seriously thinking M$ has found a way that gamers may be able to upgrade their nexgen console specs whether by external GPUs or being able to switch out the board in the console,
wat? no, I dont think so. you can upgrade the storage with the ssd slot, and you can upgrade to series x from series s, and thats about it.

Last edited:
I keep seeing this type of sentiment.

Other than the catchy-as-fuck theme song, this is satire from PS fans, propping-up this kiddy game like it's gonna be awesome, like how XB does for Grounded and other such Gamepass filler, right?

Granted fans of Kameo or Viva Pinyata or something might actually like the looks of BugSnax, but I feel like I'm missing the full effect of some in-joke or meme with Bugsnax's praise.

The latest trailer I genuinely think is really interesting.

well, if my based lord cerny secret sauce rdna3 playstation 5 advantage will be noisy,
then its gonna be spending the vast majority of its life powered off.
as simple as that. no way am I going again though multiple playstations for disappointment
I know sony and lord cerny would prefer me feeding it with dollars daily, so its up to them. no sweat for me

If you don't want it I'll take it. Probably will donate the console to an orphanage. Pretty sure the kiddos won't mind the noise and will have a blast playing it.

As for me I game with luxury cans.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom