• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart360

This is obviously not completely true anymore but I wonder to what extent it isn't. Is it 50%? 25%? 0%?

It wasnt true even when he said it.
Remember early in the gen when Digital Foundry's budget I3/750ti powered PC was outperforming PS4 in most games, even doubling the framerate in some of them.
Sure it has a bit of truth to it when you get to the end of a generation, as by then devs kind of give up optimizing PC ports as most PC users have a good enough PC to brute force console ports at that point.

Remember early in the gen when Digital Foundry's budget I3/750ti powered PC was outperforming PS4 in most games, even doubling the framerate in some of them.
Sure it has a bit of truth to it when you get to the end of a generation, as by then devs kind of give up optimizing PC ports as most PC users have a good enough PC to brute force console ports at that point.

I can't recall, do you have a link?

I won't race to completely trash Carmack's assessment because it's Carmack and he deserves some benefit of the doubt. But it was 2014 and a lot has changed in 6 years. I just want to know what the case is now.

But even i3 is faster than PS4 cpu and the 750ti is stronger gpu. Nvidia GPUs were alway much faster than AMD at lower TFs.

Stuart360

But even i3 is faster than PS4 cpu and the 750ti is stronger gpu. Nvidia GPUs were alway much faster than AMD at lower TFs.
I believe a 750ti is very similar level to the PS4 gpu, the PS4 gpu even has a slight edge i believe. I'm not 100% on that. Point being they tried to make a PC as close to PS4 level as possible.

Stuart360

I can't recall, do you have a link?

I won't race to completely trash Carmack's assessment because it's Carmack and he deserves some benefit of the doubt. But it was 2014 and a lot has changed in 6 years. I just want to know what the case is now.
A link for the DF comparisons?. Just go to their Youtube, and search back to 2013.2014. They did quite a lot of comparisons between PS4 and their budget PC, early on in the gen.

You know, I think it’s true. Ever since I switched from XBOX 360 to PS4 as my main console when this gen began, I haven’t committed arson, and my violent crimes are nearly non existent.

I heard rumors that when some people touch an Xbox they turn green. Heck I even have a picture of one of them.

d86a4c9d-6662-41e3-a029-0ddf6e941abe-image-asset.jpg

I also know someone who turns blue when he touches a PlayStation. We don't talk about him because he's special.

6b347ddfb072323e780fdb770e90ef82.gif

Last edited:
People have a bad read of gaming industry and market.

Places like neogaf and even twitter are just little bubbles that represent a fraction of the real world market.

Im saying that Just to point out that once Imsoniac release a vídeo of SpiderMan running on PS5, thats all thats Going to be talked about outside of our bubbles, not 30tf, ampere, NVidia etc

Last edited:

DeeDogg_

Banned
Which leaks/rumors can be backed-up by multiple people?

• Unless I'm wrong, I believe FoxyGamesUK is the only one who spoke of a 750M exclusitity deal for PS5?
  • Have others besides Dusk Golem pointed towards a SIE Japan Studio developed Silent Hill?
None of the leaks are real stop giving these people the rule of day. Just wait til next century for Sony and Ms to actually start acting like they’re launching new consoles in a few months

Vroadstar

I said I'm buying both day 1 ON THE CONDITION that ps5's build quality is not the shit that is ps4pro.
This is what I'm saying all this time. About performance etc, I know how to read specs, I know how to look past PR bullshit.
Thus, I already know that the new xbone will be my main console.

And about the sony good first party games hitting before xbox's good ones, that's pure speculation on your part.
Halo and Forza are of my favorite games, and right now I am not so sure that they will be released later than sony's good games.
We will see this together as time progresses.

edit: and I am not throwing shade at nothing. I just hate console racism and blind fanatism
what are you even talking about?
on the video I transloaded, the timecode is 100% correct, and not at a 24fps *SEE PICTURE BELOW*

rachet-clock.jpg

I also wrote that I timed it myself to be sure before posting, I even uploaded another video I cut myself from the recent gamescom video without any counting overlay and asked everyone to use their mobile phones stopwatch to count.

I got back an overwhelming majority of unbelievable answers, from people getting me reported for spreading false information, to other's saying "I dont need to time nothing", to "you are stupid", to "they are prolonging the load time for artistic reasons" , "prolonging the load times so as to not get dizzy with dat SSD speed", and way too much RAGE. just like yours.
....and you are supposed to be a professional....

Console Racism? what the hell is that? more like FUD spreading and even doubling down on your FUD after being corrected several times. I think FUD post like your post is what the report button is for. done

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Interesting....

I'm not surprised. During the 7th generation of consoles, I gamed mostly on my PlayStation 3 (before building my first PC) but got an Xbox 360 for GeoW 2; after playing my first multiplayer match, someone sent me a message that read "f*gg%t" just because they lost. I have never experienced that sort of behavior on PSN.

It seems definitely true for some reason.

I laughed at that bit though :

"According to the study, Animal Crossing: New Horizons actually had more physically aggressive gamers playing it than those playing Grand Theft Auto 5. "

For me Animal Crossing players were the least aggressive lol I didn't know they were psychopaths.

Alot of crazy people come from farms.

giphy.gif

Entroyp

I'm not surprised. During the 7th generation of consoles, I gamed mostly on my PlayStation 3 (before building my first PC) but got an Xbox 360 for GeoW 2; after playing my first multiplayer match, someone sent me a message that read "f*gg%t" just because they lost. I have never experienced that sort of behavior on PSN.

Oh boy, I have some horror stories from my xbox live days many moons ago. When I played online on PSN it wasn’t nearly as bad.

The good news is I saw that tweet that Wal-Mart put out. I would say that's a good enough reason to assume that your traditional retailers(Stop, Best Buy) will do preorders and not just that Sony website thing.

How many they have allocated to reserve, though..may be of a quite small quantity.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
what are you even talking about?
on the video I transloaded, the timecode is 100% correct, and not at a 24fps *SEE PICTURE BELOW*

rachet-clock.jpg

I also wrote that I timed it myself to be sure before posting, I even uploaded another video I cut myself from the recent gamescom video without any counting overlay and asked everyone to use their mobile phones stopwatch to count.

I got back an overwhelming majority of unbelievable answers, from people getting me reported for spreading false information, to other's saying "I dont need to time nothing", to "you are stupid", to "they are prolonging the load time for artistic reasons" , "prolonging the load times so as to not get dizzy with dat SSD speed", and way too much RAGE. just like yours.
....and you are supposed to be a professional....

KlPrgwY.gif

Can't believe he's still at it.

Gamerguy84

I had way more horror stories when mics were new"ish"

I feel people have calmed down and talk a little more normal, the exception being the hardcore online shooter guys whos life is online.

ksdixon

NVIDIA's lineup, and a Tempest Audio post on PS Blog, did I miss any news that happened today? If not, I can't say I'm too impressed. NVIDIA have nowt to do with PS5 as it's built with AMD, and there are soo many other things Sony could talk about than the Tempest Engine for the 5th time.

alstrike

Damn, they're using a downgraded HDMI 2.1 in XSX (40Gbps instead of 48Gbps)? How many sacrifices they made for that die? Hope Sony doesn't cheap out in HDMI 2.1.

They already did a video on that and it doesn't make any difference at all in real world scenarios (for normal people that is).

EDIT: Why I'm still not on that hype train? :messenger_confused:

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Damn, they're using a downgraded HDMI 2.1 in XSX (40Gbps instead of 48Gbps)? How many sacrifices they made for that die? Hope Sony doesn't cheap out in HDMI 2.1.

Could this be something dictated by a desire to support TV's that only handle 40Gbps instead of something done to cut costs? I don't know how that works...so I'm curious.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They already did a video on that and it doesn't make any difference at all in real world scenarios (for normal people that is).

EDIT: Why I'm still not on that hype train? :messenger_confused:

Seen it before, don't buy it. It's like saying an 8-bit video doesn't need an 10-bit source. Tell that to any video maker and he'll laugh his ass out. And those console will last for 6-8 years, and 2021 will see the first 12-bit panels from Samsung QNED. So, it's already outdated.

Is it major? No, but it's future proofing and will be clearer the further we go to the future. Also 12-bit material to 10-bit is always better than 10-bit to 10-bit.

Could this be something dictated by a desire to support TV's that only handle 40Gbps instead of something done to cut costs? I don't know how that works...so I'm curious.

Not sure what's going on, but it seems only LG CX and XSX so far, other HDMI 2.1 seem to be normal. New 12-panel tv's are coming next year and this is already sounds as stupid as not including wifi6 in XSX.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rea

Nickolaidas

No Optical Audio Port For PS5
"That’s at least according to The Verge, which mentioned about how older Astro headsets will be compatible with the PS5. The article reveals that Sony is looking to release “HDMI-to-optical audio splitter that will allow your headset to interface with the PS5 with no additional firmware needed,” thus accommodating those who own older headphones."

So with this official splitter device made by sony I should be able to connect my ps5 with my only-via-optical port to my home theatre?

Or will it only work with headphones?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No Optical Audio Port For PS5
"That’s at least according to The Verge, which mentioned about how older Astro headsets will be compatible with the PS5. The article reveals that Sony is looking to release “HDMI-to-optical audio splitter that will allow your headset to interface with the PS5 with no additional firmware needed,” thus accommodating those who own older headphones."

So with this official splitter device made by sony I should be able to connect my ps5 with my only-via-optical port to my home theatre?

Or will it only work with headphones?

Use eARC HDMI, much better. And for headphones, it's confirmed to work with the controller as you only need 2.0 Channel with the Tempest 3D. Now we only need to know if the controller is using Sony's LDAC for top sound quality via blutooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom