• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nvidia is using a software based GPU solution. See this page and read the first comment: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...erated-storage-technology/#comment-5054185320

The software based solution runs on Ampere (3000 series) and the old Turing based cards (2000 series). This software solution will use GPU cycles to do the decompression. By contrast, the PS5 I/O subsystem is designed to have dedicated HW that does the decode without the need for any GPU cycles. RTXIO is a great advancement forward for the PC space, but it doesn't yet match the efficiency of the PS5 solution.

The GPU or CPU doing the decompression is the very definition of a software based solution. Nvidia's solution spends both GPU cycles as well a few CPU cycles to do the decompression.

No "IO core" was announced.
They will decompress with ALU (shader cores).

Thanks for getting to the bottom of this lads. I will or should have already hit the thumbs up on your posts.
So Im not tripping. It's software & nothing dedicated as I guessed. I have been around hustlers ,dealers ,sellers since I was 8. I know certain interactions. When you have stuff , you puff your chest out ,you break it down you talk it all up. Just like Jensen did at the beginning with the nvidia tech. This dude was there with call of duty footage talking up that partnership.

When it came to direct storage. Jensen sped past the I/O segment quickly with little focus & put empathises on MS with direct storage.I knew straight away that shit was software. I/O was not the focus of their cards. And we know MS are not going to do 2 different types of work 1 for XSX & 1 for nvidia. Direct X is suppose to streamline between console & pc. MS ain't going to do twice the work.

Nvidia's target was better raytracing ,better perf cards, dlss. And great price points. They are PC they know they can brute force somethings. I/O is just not a heavy focus for them.They nailed their feature targets especially with price points. The AMD price points/big navi, Console pressure is real. Those Nvidia pricings are great. It's pushed competition in gaming a lot.

But you pc guys are bizarre. My man showed marbles not a game, just marbles ,some charts but yall believe in the cards. Meanwhile PS5 & XSX got to jump through hoops & show all sorts of evidence. My man put out a £1499 card and showed no footage, no game taken advantage of it. But dudes are all in. Jensen's hustle game is strong. My man showed charts ,big numbers. And yet nothing on UE5 demo level or ratchet in-fact. But dudes are all in on these cards crazy ,crazy.

Last edited:

SaucyJack

This seems like a fun game.

Imagine wanting at PlayStation 5 now after Nvidia.
Weak GPU compared to MS
Sony had to sacrifice all that die space to stream data while XsX can do it with half the speed with their API.
Having to play children cartoony games to get next gen features.

Lol what a joke. I don't even believe what I'm saying but just wanted to point out how childish your post was. The lack of self awareness is astonishing.

The obvious point you’re missing is that there’s nothing on Xbox that you can’t play on PC.

Kerlurk

Banned
Serious question: why would anyone buy an Xbox Series X now that RTX 3070 costs $499?

So, I can just buy that GPU and plug it straight into my TV?

No, you have to add some of that nice chicken sauce over it, and then you're good to go.

Anyone else reading this confused. Check his profile picture. Yum!

Last edited:
that’s must be why they have invested in r&d and developed ’the most powerful console ever’, acquired multiple studios. For mee, I own, ps4pro and xbonex and I don’t have games that I want to play on ps4 (I have purchased all of the big hitters from Sony but found most dull and repetitive), just showing you that I have completely opposite view of which console provides better value.
Will the smart people like you will buy PC next gen because they can play everything Xbox and everything not on Xbox with much higher resolution and fps. You don't need to buy both consoles if you don't like Sony's games, you combine that savings for a mighty PC with lots of colorfull rgb lights and pretty colorfull water cooling pipes.

sircaw

Banned
sircaw sircaw

Well, expand the list. Now PS5 is 7 TF console

That guy is a fucking fool.
I am not a Nvidia fan at all, i do not like the way they operate, some of there practices are just like intel, scummy.

But Nvidia had a storming day today.

If you wanted the best of both worlds and you have the money, a pc and ps5 would probably be the best options, especially after seeing the new ssd speeds someone linked, today/yesterday.

I will stick with the ps5, i am poor and its gonna be amazing.

Last edited:

psorcerer

Banned
So Im not tripping. It's software & nothing dedicated as I guessed. I have been around hustlers ,dealers ,sellers since I was 8. I know certain interactions. When you have stuff , you puff your chest out ,you break it down you talk it all up. Just like Jensen did at the beginning with the nvidia tech. This dude was there with call of duty footage talking up that partnership.

They still need hw support for DMA SSD->VRAM, i.e. probably some command processor tech and memory controller tech.

MarkMe2525

The obvious point you’re missing is that there’s nothing on Xbox that you can’t play on PC.

Hold on now!!! Missed the point? No no I was pointing out how dumb his points where. In what world does it matter where I play my games and who else can play them. Should I not own a car because other people can have one too? It's a childish argument.

This seems like a fun game.

Imagine wanting at PlayStation 5 now after Nvidia.
Weak GPU compared to MS
Sony had to sacrifice all that die space to stream data while XsX can do it with half the speed with their API.
Having to play children cartoony games to get next gen features.

Lol what a joke. I don't even believe what I'm saying but just wanted to point out how childish your post was. The lack of self awareness is astonishing.
Content is king my friend
If you have the money and you're in a store looking at two hardwares that play same content but one of them runs content at 2x resolution and fps, then you're likely gonna buy the Supprior one because, at the end, TFs matter. However if the inferior console has exclusive content that is more fun and matches your taste, then you are more likely to buy the inferior hatdware.

Sideview-mirror-cropped_iStock-e1546638824839.png

4c28a60a-8b2b-45f5-b46e-c0c50218b239.jpg

It's coming!!!

zaitsu

Banned
This was clear win for Nvidia from hardware point of view.
But sony still has a crown of having games running on their hardware, not marbles like some of you have said.
Ms has nothing, but my dear xbox diehards. Its nothing to worry about. 3 years and youll have your games after 10 years. Better be late than sorry.

That guy is a fucking fool.
I am not a Nvidia fan at all, i do not like the way they operate, some of there practices are just like intel, scummy.

But Nvidia had a storming day today.

If you wanted the best of both worlds and you have the money, a pc and ps5 would probably be the best options, especially after seeing the new ssd speeds someone linked, today/yesterday.

I will stick with the ps5, i am poor and its gonna be amazing.
Nvidia came out today to kill AMD, but they killed Xbox instead.

They still need hw support for DMA SSD->VRAM, i.e. probably some command processor tech and memory controller tech.

Oh damn!!! Plus latency issues. Well MS are trying to beat all that with software. So let's watch them ,waste their own time. Sony wrecked them.

It seems the new COD will be using using Ray Tracing only for shadows, just like Modern Warfare

Err Is that a bad thing?? Do people expect raytracing on all the time??? In my mind I always thought Raytracing would just be used as another effects tool. Especially from artist perspective. What is people's expectation of ray tracing??

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Good to see that so many people will be buying a new graphics card for their PC. Just making sure Microsoft is still getting that money to invest in my Xbox. I'll see you guys online via cross play

sircaw

Banned
Nvidia came out today to kill AMD, but they killed Xbox instead.

If Microsoft can still hit $499 for that console, that is still incredible value.

I look at is like this, i don't want a gaming pc, if there was no sony around i would buy an xbox.

I don't think it's possible to find something of equal performance and cost in xbox vs pc.

Even budget gaming pcs are damn expensive.

All i can say is thank god for Sony.

Time jumps purposely from 0.30 to 01.00 to inflate the total time, pure FUD.

giphy.gif

when-you-point-a-finger-at-the-moon-to-indicate-the-moon-instead-of-looking-1563639-1.jpg
Bo, you're wrong. The counter is timecode. It measures seconds and video frames. Every second of video is appx 25 frames. it isn't skipping anything.

Edit: Reading back through this thread I think a few of you owe ol' Sharky an apology. Geez, you guys are super quick to jump to conclusions.

It's amazing (not in a good way).

TheGreatWhiteShark TheGreatWhiteShark
No. The timer isn't wrong. It counts in seconds and frames, a defined fraction of a second.

Video runs at twenty-five frames per second (minor variations depending what country you're from), so the counter logs one second for every twenty-five frames. For instance one second plus twenty-five frames is two seconds total. Yes, two seconds, exactly like a clock.

So, in short, two seconds = two seconds, regardless of the counter.

Thegreatwhiteshark was right all along. The video isn't edited or manipulated, you could just've timed the bloody thing to see for yourself how long the transition was. All the bullshit about the counter was just you kicking up dust and denying the bleeding obvious.

You are now, and have always been, completely wrong on this issue. You spent a significant amount of time accusing other people of spreading FUD simply because you don't know anything about video timecode.

If you have any integrity at all you'll just admit an honest mistake and move on.
OK Holy shit who the fuck uses Timecode on a video that has been captured but not SOURCED directly with correct framing in mind??!!

That (stupid) Timecode is on 24 frames for a second but running on 30 FUCKING FRAMES PER SECOND VIDEO! (IF NOT 60 FPS VERSION)
Every 24th frame it jumps a second while it should count till 30 at which point it should have jumped to 1 correctly, SO this way the fucking timecode that a fucking goddamn moron put on a video shows timing that is OFF. Do not ever use a Timecode if you are not doing it on an editing software in which you see the Source frame of a video and you can also go frame-by-frame yourself in steps to see if it is actually correctly reported in software!

Jesus you crazy motherfuckers are hell bent on trying to make those "loading" (not gonna say screens since cause it is not FUCKING STATIC) parts look longer than IT REALLY IS.

Try opening a 60 FPS video on Premiere Pro Editing software in a 24 frame project and SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO IT!

Then just for kicks do the reverse, open a 24 FPS video on Premiere as a 60 frame project and also SEE WHAT HAPPENS

After that report back here, this is your homework! As you talk about stuff you clearly don't know about, you first need to be schooled son!

Jesus! A timecode where it goes off automatically not even counting per frames, not counting at all, just going automatically HAHAHA what will we see next??

zaitsu

Banned
Good to see that so many people will be buying a new graphics card for their PC. Just making sure Microsoft is still getting that money to invest in my Xbox. I'll see you guys online via cross play
And thats my dear how failure can be changed to win with proper narrative.

No disrespect to xbox people but you're out of your fucking minds if you want to get an xbox on launch compared to a ps5. We buy consoles for games, not so they look pretty on the mantlepiece.

If Microsoft had all there new studio games launching in the first two years i might say something totally different but as it stands now, how the hell do you recommend a xbox to someone.

There is nothing wrong with the kit, the hardware is good but again i stress, we buy consoles to play games, and the best games are on PS5, especially with all the marketing deals, it just makes sense to pick up a ps5.
exactly.
I want to play the best games at launch. those are Cyberpunk 2077 and Call of duty. I want to play them in the best way possible on console.
WTH should I prefer ps5?

the fact that my entire library of games I like and have bought will also be improved big-time is just an added bonus.
I can spend some happy time playing my previous and pre-previous and even pre-pre-previous generation games I really liked ,to see how they fare with ML HDR and even more improved performance at 4k.

then, more of "the best games" will come. no need to spend my time on mediocre games waiting

Boglin

Are people being genuine when they talk about there being no reason to pick up an Xbox now? The PC was always going to be stronger and always will be. Nvidia's event didn't change that, it only detailed how pronounced the difference in hardware will be.
People will buy Xbox because they want to play Xbox games on a console even if the same games are available on PC and there a plenty of good reasons to make that choice. Consoles offer a completely different, and arguably more intuitive user experience for the average person than PC does, especially when it comes to couch gaming.

BTW, Nvidia seriously brought up SSDs being nice to have? Looks like console gamers aren't the only ones just getting to 2010 /s

What money? Unless you buy games from thier store, they won't make a penny. 99% of PC gamers use Steam and Epic and GOG. Also don't tel me because people buy Windows, that Windows money stays at windows and will never go to xbox.

MarkMe2525

Content is king my friend
If you have the money and you're in a store looking at two hardwares that play same content but one of them runs content at 2x resolution and fps, then you're likely gonna buy the Supprior one because, at the end, TFs matter. However if the inferior console has exclusive content that is more fun and matches your taste, then you are more likely to buy the inferior hatdware.
That right there is my point actually. People buy what they like. Why does it matter what I like or Bob likes. I like Sony's games so I got a base PS4 for 199 and got to play them. I also like Xbox platform and am a sucker for power.
Regarding my original post which got this little convo started. The reason I singled that agnostic guy out is because in every thread I go, he is trash posting to ... make himself feel good I guess? It's ridiculous. So.. me being a sucker(like I mentioned earlier) I decided to trash post his ass back :)

You know what.... I feel better about myself now that I think about it. Maybe he is on to something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
How does buying a graphics card give money to MS?
What money? Unless you buy games from thier store, they won't make a penny. 99% of PC gamers use Steam and Epic and GOG. Also don't tel me because people buy Windows, that Windows money stays at windows and will never go to xbox.
Oh sorry, are you both gaming on Linux? Windows money doesn't stay at Windows... Does Playstation money stay at Playstation?

Last edited by a moderator:

sircaw

Banned
exactly.
I want to play the best games at launch. those are Cyberpunk 2077 and Call of duty. I want to play them in the best way possible on console.
WTH should I prefer ps5?

the fact that my entire library of games I like and have bought will also be improved big-time is just an added bonus.
I can spend some happy time playing my previous and pre-previous and even pre-pre-previous generation games I really liked ,to see how they fare with ML HDR and even more improved performance at 4k.

then, more of "the best games" will come. no need to spend my time on mediocre games waiting

You want to limit yourself to a few extra blades of grass, and a couple of extra effects that you will hardly notice , come on be serious.

You're fucking crazy if you want to sacrifice games like Horizon zero dawn 2, god of war 2, rachet and clank, spiderman.

PS5 HAS IT ALL, the best of both worlds, why limit yourself.

THINK MR SHARK THINK.

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned
You want to limit yourself to a few extra blades of grass, and a couple of extra effects that you will hardly notice , come on be serious.

You're fucking crazy if you want to sacrifice games like Horizon zero dawn 2, god of war 2, rachet and clank, spiderman.

PS5 HAS IT ALL, the best of both worlds, why limit yourself.

THINK MR SHARK THINK.
Leave him be. So fuckin blinded. By Phils words.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
XD, youre twelve right ? You cannot be adult
Coming from the guy that tries to spin an Nvidia showcase into a negative for Xbox. Yeah mate, I'm the twelve year old, and you don't sound anything like a crazy fanboy.

I say crazy, because you've got people that are purely fans of Sony, like Heisenberg for example, and then you've got the crazy ones like you, or Timdog. That actually want the other system to fail.

OK Holy shit who the fuck uses Timecode on a video that has been captured but not SOURCED directly with correct framing in mind??!!

That (stupid) Timecode is on 24 frames for a second but running on 30 FUCKING FRAMES PER SECOND VIDEO! (IF NOT 60 FPS VERSION)
Every 24th frame it jumps a second while it should count till 30 at which point it should have jumped to 1 correctly, SO this way the fucking timecode that a fucking goddamn moron put on a video shows timing that is OFF. Do not ever use a Timecode if you are not doing it on an editing software in which you see the Source frame of a video and you can also go frame-by-frame yourself in steps to see if it is actually correctly reported in software!

Jesus you crazy motherfuckers are hell bent on trying to make those "loading" (not gonna say screens since cause it is not FUCKING STATIC) parts look longer than IT REALLY IS.

Try opening a 60 FPS video on Premiere Pro Editing software in a 24 frame project and SEE WHAT HAPPENS TO IT!

Then just for kicks do the reverse, open a 24 FPS video on Premiere as a 60 frame project and also SEE WHAT HAPPENS

After that report back here, this is your homework! As you talk about stuff you clearly don't know about, you first need to be schooled son!

Jesus! A timecode where it goes off automatically not even counting per frames, not counting at all, just going automatically HAHAHA what will we see next??
read

and in this post there is a link to the original video.
go count that

You guys are really SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!

I’ll probably get boo’d out of this thread for saying this but I’m leaning towards subbing to services like GeForce now and hopefully Xcloud over upgrading my 1070 when the 30XX series drops.

I’ve been using GN to replay games like Control and Metro with RTX and it’s a surprisingly solid experience. The only reason I haven’t unplugged my HTPC entirely is Game Pass.

I take back everything after the news today :messenger_tears_of_joy: I will likely end up with a PS5 and 3080 by this time next year to set myself up for most of this gen. Timing is going to depend on what the launch lineup looks like (specifically when Demon's Souls gets released).

Aside from the ridiculous jump in power, I'm mostly excited that Nvidia are pushing for increased I/O throughput and DMA integration with the 3XXX series. This is going to let developers go HAM once we get into years 3-4 of this generation.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

As it should be.

I know there are some issues with PCM on PS4, so hopefully PS5 will support native DD+/Atmos output so the TV can properly output via ARC.

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned
Coming from the guy that tries to spin an Nvidia showcase into a negative for Xbox. Yeah mate, I'm the twelve year old, and you don't sound anything like a crazy fanboy.

I say crazy, because you've got people that are purely fans of Sony, like Heisenberg for example, and then you've got the crazy ones like you, or Timdog. That actually want the other system to fail.
MS failed me.
Im angry at them. And seeing them making sames misteaks makes me more angry. Because competition is good.

Like im happy that Nvidia priced those cards so well, because now im sure consoles will be cheap.

If Xbox has shown anything i would be happy because i could buy it for some exclusives and expect Sony to try even harder.

But ms just fails my all expectations year after year.

In x360 you could call me xbox fanboy.

Im just there where my future games are.

Last edited:
If Microsoft can still hit $499 for that console, that is still incredible value.

I look at is like this, i don't want a gaming pc, if there was no sony around i would buy an xbox.

I don't think it's possible to find something of equal performance and cost in xbox vs pc.

Even budget gaming pcs are damn expensive.

All i can say is thank god for Sony.
There problem is "If there was no Sony"
The problem is that Microsoft trapped themselves in a situation where they lost many opportunities to sell. They didn't even read the first page of "Product Development & Marketing 101" book 🤣
They don't know if they want to sell hardware, software or cloud. They confuse the name of their own console. Even their PR confuses XoneX with XsX.

sircaw

Banned
Those xbox fanboys are just sad.
All we need to seal an Xbox coffin is fucking GOW2.

It just makes me sad people are putting all there eggs in the Microsoft basket because of games like cyberpunk.

It's going to play just as good, if not better on the ps5. Imagine you buy cyberpunk and the difference is negligible, what the fuck are you going to do now, image robbing your self of all those other games.

I want people to think as consumers, not as sheep.

If Microsoft had better games on console release, and the price was right i would buy them instead of Sonys.

I am in it for me, not for the gaming companies.

My loyalty is to games, quality and price,

It just makes me sad people are falling into this trap and whats worse they might infect other people with there nonsense.

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned
There problem is "If there was no Sony"
The problem is that Microsoft trapped themselves in a situation where they lost many opportunities to sell. They didn't even read the first page of "Product Development & Marketing 101" book 🤣
They don't know if they want to sell hardware, software or cloud. They confuse the name of their own console. Even their PR confuses XoneX with XsX.
Leave them be, thats their last xbox. They probably will stick with PCs and gamepass after this gen. I might even buy one, maybe it will be worth something as last Xbox made still orginally sealed after 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom