• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrionNebula

Would make sense if supply is low. Its their biggest market. COD is also huge in the US.

I'm American so can others answer this, is Black Friday shopping a thing anywhere else? I've always assumed that its just a US thing.

The pressure to release early to mid-November in the US is pretty much just because of that day and so they can't afford to miss that window, but only in the US, right?

Would seem reasonable to launch same day as COD in the US, pre Thanksgiving, then just roll out to other countries in the next few weeks... if they have limited supply.
Black Friday is relatively new in Quebec/Canada.
Our Canadian equivalent was Boxing Day on Dec 26th each year (how stupid is that?), so we sort of adopted Black Friday more openly less than 10 years ago I’d say
So now we do both, but Boxing Day is less and less crazy every year that goes by, as a result of BF

Sinthor

Gold Member
There was a lot of running it, some very bad acting, some vampires that all looked like they came from an Antifa meeting,.

I have been permanently scarred because of you, you will pay for this, i don't know how, but you will pay.

LOL! "looked like they came from an Antifa meeting" Yeah, except most of THESE vampires were good looking! One. Huge. Difference.

Alrighty...tuna's not everyone's favorite, I understand. I'll just be over here......shaking in terror.......or something.....

That discord server is practically the illuminati in your eyes, it's hilarious. You really think there is anything like that? Hell the guy who created/runs the server is on this site often, you have no idea what is going on but making a vast conspiracy is easier than "group of people who like video games and have a decent number of veteran industry people who just like to shoot the shit in there". There is no edict to "spread FUD" and it never happens, ask @Anal Wake who was just in there for a week. It's the exact opposite of what you think, and no number of doctored or out of context screenshots will change that simple fact. If you want FUD spreading just look at what this thread has become, find every possible positive talking point about one company and every negative possible talking point about the other. Then claim that others are the ones making things up to make themselves feel better.

You do realize it's the Xbox Era discord, there is nothing hidden about it. There is a website/forum/Youtube page and everything ffs. You intimate that they're "idiots for indirectly confirming its existence" when it has never been hidden.

I would never trust a guy named Anal Wake.. just saying..

Delpij

Would make sense if supply is low. Its their biggest market. COD is also huge in the US.

I'm American so can others answer this, is Black Friday shopping a thing anywhere else? I've always assumed that its just a US thing.

The pressure to release early to mid-November in the US is pretty much just because of that day and so they can't afford to miss that window, but only in the US, right?

Would seem reasonable to launch same day as COD in the US, pre Thanksgiving, then just roll out to other countries in the next few weeks... if they have limited supply.

Black Friday is pretty big in France. Cyber Monday too. But overall, this looks like a way to better cope with logistics constraints.

Vaztu

Surely there is only one game big enough for a big WOW response universally? We know it isn't the other possible one now in COD.....

It would still be hard to believe any sort of meaningful exclusivity could be pulled off with it but we'll see I guess. This sort of thing could even backfire to some extent these days!

If there are no new launch games to show, then there is no WOW games for this year.

FIFA 2021 comes to mind, but reading on to H's comment, it seems something R* related.

Do they have other WOW titles except GTA 6 and RDR3 ?

Edit: After quick google search, would love a new Max Payne game

Last edited:

Here at Finland (norther Europe) we have had "black friday" for maybe 10 years now.

But it is nothing like we see what US folks do, aka no thousands rushing to fight for what ever item they can get into their hands.

It is more like regular weekly sales just named into black friday + most stores / services do it on the same week/day.

Sometimes there are good deals, but it is mostly like if TV is on sale 499€ many times during the year, on black friday it could be 449-499€, so not really good, some sales are even more expensive than cheapest price on months before.

Rest of the world likes to copy "silly" american things, like black friday and now halloween have been a thing for few years, or is trying to be a thing but nothing like on US.

So yeah, black friday is a thing but on much smaller scale here + deals arent that good, but it doesnt stop people spending shit loads of money when they go into the psychological trap of "it must be a good deal now!"

Best deals are almost always when some incompetent online store have some kind of bug in their system, like -30% code for clothing works also for electronics.

No reason to had to have PS5/xsex release on black friday or before it here.

PS5 will sell fuck tons and is probably sold out as playstations usually are, and xbox sells for hardcore fans and then kind of dies and stores are full of them. And on new consoles our deal would be probably like -10€ so it is nothing

Last edited:

Emmy

Neo Member
I'm wondering if anyone really thinks that 499$ for a gaming console is expensive? Of course, consoles used to be cheaper than they are now. But they also were much simpler devices in terms of technology and all that. PS5/XSX are cutting-edge devices. Very future proof. Personally, I don't see any problem in 499$-599$ price point for both of them. Of course, for people with low income this is a different question...

Here at Finland (norther Europe) we have had "black friday" for maybe 10 years now.

But it is nothing like we see what US folks do, aka no thousands rushing to fight for what ever item they can get into their hands.

It is more like regular weekly sales just named into black friday + most stores / services do it on the same week/day.

Sometimes there are good deals, but it is mostly like if TV is on sale 499€ many times during the year, on black friday it could be 449-499€, so not really good, some sales are even more expensive than cheapest price on months before.

Rest of the world likes to copy "silly" american things, like black friday and now halloween have been a thing for few years, or is trying to be a thing but nothing like on US.

So yeah, black friday is a thing but on much smaller scale here + deals arent that good, but it doesnt stop people spending shit loads of money when they go into the psychological trap of "it must be a good deal now!"

Best deals are almost always when some incompetent online store have some kind of bug in their system, like -30% code for clothing works also for electronics.

PS5 will sell fuck tons and is probably sold out as playstations usually are, and xbox sells for hardcore fans and then kind of dies and stores are full of them. And on new consoles our deal would be probably like -10€ so it is nothing
This is a 100% accurate description of the situation here in Sweden as well. Not very surprising considering we're neighbors, but anyway. PS, heja Finland!

sircaw

Banned
I'm wondering if anyone really thinks that 499$ for a gaming console is expensive? Of course, consoles used to be cheaper than they are now. But they also were much simpler devices in terms of technology and all that. PS5/XSX are cutting-edge devices. Very future proof. Personally, I don't see any problem in 499$-599$ price point for both of them. Of course, for people with low income this is a different question...

In normal circumstances i would no its fine, but after this shitty virus, people don't have money.

THE:MILKMAN

If there are no new launch games to show, then there is no WOW games for this year.

FIFA 2021 comes to mind, but reading on to H's comment, it seems something R* related.

Do they have other WOW titles except GTA 6 and RDR3 ?

Edit: After quick google search, would love a new Max Payne game

I don't think it is a launch game (though I'm sure other lesser game "deals" are being inked by both Sony and Microsoft) and I think we can rule out the yearly TP games like FIFA as they are on multiple platforms and generations there of.

Only one franchise fits the bill for me. THE big one.

assurdum

Banned
Hmm that a lot of PS5 games have "performance" modes actually says a lot about the system. It isn't able to properly manage native 4K/60fps with amazing graphics, something has to give. Wonder if we'll see the same for XSX, although those first party developers might have to go for 60fps from the start.

Good that they included both options though.
Post of the year.
Now to have a 60 fps mode in dynamic 4k it means developers can't reach it in native 4k and it's just a bad look for the hardware.

Last edited:
Okay, now I'm really confused :|

Honestly, the hardware in the PS5 could quite easily emulate PS1 and PS2 games. I reckon a third party should develop a software solution and pop it up on PSN.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Surely this is an Ubisoft cock up?
no, if the ps5 does have BC then sony shouldve revealed it already. this game of chicken and treating everything like a fucking state secret is why we are in this mess where third parties like activision are revealing launch dates and ubisoft are revealing system level features. thats sony's job. ubisoft shouldve never been put in this situation.

if the PS5 has PS3 BC then the news should come from sony marketing.
if the PS5 does not have PS3 PC then the news should come from sony marketing.

this ridiculous Schrodinger's cat present we live in right now is all on sony.

Last edited:
100% what Phil meant as the XSS has been on the drawing board for a long time.

The XSS is going to be $299 btw :)

I've been thinking for a long time that the people who think the Series X is going to undercut PS5 on price are crazy, especially with Sony throwing the digital option in the mix. If XSS is $299 the Series X has to be $499, there needs to be at least a $200 price difference for the Series S to have a reason to exist IMO. So if it goes like I think it will both full feature next gen consoles are $499, Digital PS5 $399 and Series S $299 which really makes the Series S kind of obsolete from the start. It's also an all digital console but isn't even half of the power of the PS5 who's own digital only console will probably be only $100 more.

no, if the ps5 does have BC then sony shouldve revealed it already. this game of chicken and treating everything like a fucking state secret is why we are in this mess where third parties like activision are revealing launch dates and ubisoft are revealing system level features. thats sony's job. ubisoft shouldve never been put in this situation.

I agree that Sony's silence is pretty annoying but Ubisoft marketting is more stupid. They already communicated a miss information regarding the 4K last month and now talked about a feature that they don't need to talk about.
I actually umderstand that today's statment actually has nothing with BC, they were actually talking about consoles that don't support next gen upgrades, but they didn't communicate it correctly.
Also their silence regarding BC might be smart because they don't want to give advantage to Microsoft PR. Sony knows that once PS5 releases with Spider-Man Miles Morales and Rift Apart, the BC talk will die and burn in hell because people will be satisfied by actual next gen experience.

Last edited:
For each day that passes I will post an Elmo in hell gif.

Hurry up Sony or the Elmo's will take over Gaf!!!!!

tenor.gif

FunkMiller

It’s on Ubisoft to have stated something that wasn’t confirmed though. Sony need to be giving us more info, but you can’t blame them for another company releasing information that was incorrect.

As a PlayStation fan, I must say I really hate how PlayStation fanboys talk about backwards compatibility.

Someone in this thread said earlier “Adults don’t have time to play old games”. I don’t even know if I should respond to such a dumb statement.

Backwards compatibility as a free feature shouldn’t be frowned upon by anyone unless it drastically raises the console’s price. But as a free software based feature? Why shouldn’t we ask for that?

Just because you started gaming in the PS4 generation or because you don’t understand that quality of games doesn’t age as poorly as you think doesn’t mean there aren’t people who would enjoy playing a PS2 game no matter how few.

Is Metal Gear Solid 3 a bad game not worth playing anymore? How about About Resistance? Why does it offend some fanboys that people like me actually like PlayStation games enough to keep them after a new generation comes out.

If you aren’t just interested in the couple of big AAA games that come out each year and play more than 3 genres there is no way you can keep up with everything. Sometimes it’s fun to go back in time and play something you missed. A classic or a hidden gem.

I played Silent Hill 2 on the PS2 for the first time in 2016. Why can we ask for a feature to play these games on an HD console without repurchasing all the software again.

Backwards Compatibility will not stop Sony’s AAA games from coming out. How would BC hurt you?

jose4gg

Bad news? I missed them.

Yes, today's news is the first one, and the 4K only on XONE X AND XSX is the other, both times there was negativity towards PS5 in the media and after a couple of days, in this case hours, they retract themself 😂

I hope PS5 have BC with PS2 and PS1 titles.

sircaw

Banned
As a PlayStation fan, I must say I really hate how PlayStation fanboys talk about backwards compatibility.

Someone in this thread said earlier “Adults don’t have time to play old games”. I don’t even know if I should respond to such a dumb statement.

Backwards compatibility as a free feature shouldn’t be frowned upon by anyone unless it drastically raises the console’s price. But as a free software based feature? Why shouldn’t we ask for that?

Just because you started gaming in the PS4 generation or because you don’t understand that quality of games doesn’t age as poorly as you think doesn’t mean there aren’t people who would enjoy playing a PS2 game no matter how few.

Is Metal Gear Solid 3 a bad game not worth playing anymore? How about About Resistance? Why does it offend some fanboys that people like me actually like PlayStation games enough to keep them after a new generation comes out.

If you aren’t just interested in the couple of big AAA games that come out each year and play more than 3 genres there is no way you can keep up with everything. Sometimes it’s fun to go back in time and play something you missed. A classic or a hidden gem.

I played Silent Hill 2 on the PS2 for the first time in 2016. Why can we ask for a feature to play these games on an HD console without repurchasing all the software again.

Backwards Compatibility will not stop Sony’s AAA games from coming out. How would BC hurt you?

I have no need for Bc at all, i seriously don't want to play any off those old games, however saying that i hope it is included for other people. It would be very cool if they did.

I WANT A STAR NOW. GIVE IT TO ME.

Hugs

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member

Whaaaaat??? Are you telling me that you Europeans don't have hoards of people in some areas line up like lemmings and try to trample each other to death just to spend what little money they actually have on some new toy or TV or something? I mean....what do you do for entertainment the rest of the day or even week without all those entertaining videos on YouTube documenting those wild and wonderful fights? I don't know what I'd do without those videos to make me feel like a better person than those poor people I see online. :)

Seriously...I wish AMERICA would stop doing Black Friday. It's a VERY small segment of the population (just like most of the violent crime, incidentally), but it IS embarrassing to see, even while it IS entertaining as well sometimes. Just makes many of us embarrassed to see that THIS is the image of America getting seen around the world. The holidays have all been far too commercialized and somehow some small segment of people get moved to some kind of mass hysteria as well. It's really sad. The end of this year has too much that threatens to be wildly violent and out of control without throwing things like 'Black Friday' into the mix. I'm afraid I'm going to spend a few MONTHS feeling embarrassed this year rather than the usual day or two.

SSfox

I borrowed 360 to play Bioshock. I believe it was best game in 2007 with GOW2. By end of the year , Uncharted introduced me to the real next gen. I still remember how I finally realized that Ken was always right. Next gen doesn't start until we say so.

Uncharted and Bioshock were huge, loved AC1 too even tho it was too repetetif, AC2 was the true masterpiece, as well as Brotherhood.

Last edited:

It hurt whe they spend millions of dollars and dedicated team for a feature that will be beneficial for 10 people.
They also already invested in remasters from ps2 and Ps3 era, they want you to buy them

Sinthor

Gold Member
Jesus, is this from the film?! I thought it was a meme! Oh my god! :messenger_open_mouth:

Well, it IS edited somehow. Framerate is off or something but yeah. You should see from the FIRST film when the dude is carrying the girl on his back. SNL or someone did a skit where they were actually on those Segue devices because of how it looked in the movie.

Overall they are decent, amusing and mindlessly entertaining teen romance type movies. Worth it for a chuckle if you have nothing better to watch, IMO. If nothing else you have to watch them to get a great supply of memes and cultural references. :)

Last edited:
Uncharted and Bioshock with huge, loved AC1 too even tho it was too repetetif, AC2 was the true masterpiece, as well Brotherhood.
All Ubisoft games suck a big black one. I can't believe I wasted $65 on that AC game. I was in college, that money was alot, almost broke me.

Last edited:
It hurt whe they spend millions of dollars and dedicated team for a feature that will be beneficial for 10 people.
They also already invested in remasters from ps2 and Ps3 era, they want you to buy them
Fuck buying them, I already own them. I’m sick of paying for $50 resolution updates for games I already own.

We are consumers and we will get what we ask for, I don’t care that Sony has to spend money on BC. I’m the customer, I have the right to demand more for my dollar.

PlayStation fanboys just scoff at BC because Xbox puts a big focus on it. I just don’t understand why people are offended by more features. It’s obvious I like PlayStation games a bit more than the fanboys though because they think they’re all worthless once the new console comes out.

zaitsu

Banned
Amazing that this is the only gaming news right now! Interesting that that Ubisoft page still has the below for the XSX:

I mean for me it was clear from RTPS5 that it was PS4 BC only. Could they do software BC in the future? Sure, but I doubt it right now.

Buy old console. Play old games.
What
Is
The
Problem

Im buying nextgen to play nextgen games, ask kids about if they want to play PS2 games or fortnite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom