• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

leizzra

What I mean is, that model, at that rendering quality, is not what you see in cutscenes. It’s not about pores or what have you. Lighting accuracy is turned up, which makes for more natural skin tone, more accurate self shadowing, and crisper specular highlights. Real time cutscene models always have this blurrier or “Vaseline-y” look to their shading, where highlights and shadows are in the right general areas but with much lower definition. It looks fine in game but much easier to notice in direct comparison

GqV4Vo4.jpg

Just to be clear - you were referring to skin shader, but now you are writing about lighting. I’m not sure anymore what we are talking about ;).

This is good comparison - you are looking here at the same models shaders included. Even shadow quality looks very similar jet probably a bit more precise at left. The main difference will be post process (assuming that cut-scene image is good quality which I expect is not). It’s also probably super sampled so you see this crisp details and more precision on hairs and shadows. Usually you want to do that for your portfolio renders (like from Unreal 4). But in the end those two represent two different approaches and intentions - artist to represent his work and Director/Art Director/Creative Director/etc to make it more movie alike, natural.

But as I said at the beginning both are from engine. There’s no magic here.

FunkMiller

Makes sense.

$299 for the S / $499~599 for the X
$399-449 for the DE / $499 for the Standard PS5

IMO

A hundred bucks difference between SS and Ps5 de isn’t a compelling enough price point to make a huge dent, imo. Why settle for the lesser powered console, when you have have a full blooded Ps5 for less than the price of two games more?

And Microsoft are going to have to be VERY clear about the SS’s less powerful attributes, lest they want a lot of returns and complaints on their hands. Casuals might think it’s equal to the DE.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I'm not sure higher pricing is what MS was actually saying or preparing the masses for. Though of course they can price the thing at whatever level they like, I think the point of that slide was that costs have risen with the new node etc (obviously) but the usual things that cost reduced over time (like RAM) had slowed/stopped and this explained what they did to mitigate it and cover the extra cost of the silicon. Using the SoC in Azure is another huge cost saving here too. That was my take anyway...

But lets see. Microsoft are seemingly in a tough spot right now and having the highest price would just take the biscuit....
Microsoft are making 2 consoles. That implies the Series X will be expensive. Sony is not doing this. They only have the PS5.

What Microsoft is doing to start this generation is if they launched the One S and One X both in 2013. The One X was $500 in 2017. It would have cost even more in 2013 obviously, so the safe bet is the Series X will be high priced. Perhaps $600.

For Series S to be a meaningful lower priced option, it has to be $150 or $200 less.

With PS5, Sony is replacing a $400 console. So $500 seems likely. Over time they will make more money from the Digital PS5 and so they will offer that for less initially, probably $50 or $100 less.

The One X was $100 more than the PS4 Pro. It only had 4 more CUs. The Series X has 16 more CUs and a larger SSD. Could be rather pricey.

It will be interesting to see if any or all of these consoles are sold for a loss initially.

A hundred bucks difference between SS and Ps5 de isn’t a compelling enough price point to make a huge dent, imo. Why settle for the lesser powered console, when you have have a full blooded Ps5 for less than the price of two games more?

Gamepass?

What I mean is that Microsoft may bundle a few months of gamepass with the XSS. That could be worth it to some people.

FunkMiller

Gamepass?

What I mean is that Microsoft may bundle a few months of gamepass with the XSS. That could be worth it to some people.

And that’s more than fair enough as a marketing strategy, but they will have to make it clear that it can’t do what the DE can do visually. They really can’t afford Johnny Casual getting it home to discover it won’t look gloriously 4K on his OLED. They will have to state its lack of 4K ability and smaller amount of power. Marry that with the GamePass lure and they could be okay, but the second they try to equate it with the DE as a machine by design or omission, they will be potentially in shit street. This is the problem with launching multiple SKUs at the same time, to a consumer base that isn’t predominantly made up of people who understand all the differences.

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

Microsoft are making 2 consoles. That implies the Series X will be expensive. Sony is not doing this. They only have the PS5.

What Microsoft is doing to start this generation is if they launched the One S and One X both in 2013. The One X was $500 in 2017. It would have cost even more in 2013 obviously, so the safe bet is the Series X will be high priced. Perhaps $600.

For Series S to be a meaningful lower priced option, it has to be $150 or $200 less.

With PS5, Sony is replacing a $400 console. So $500 seems likely. Over time they will make more money from the Digital PS5 and so they will offer that for less initially, probably $50 or $100 less.

The One X was $100 more than the PS4 Pro. It only had 4 more CUs. The Series X has 16 more CUs and a larger SSD. Could be rather pricey.

It will be interesting to see if any or all of these consoles are sold for a loss initially.

It is definitely going to be interesting how Microsoft go about positioning them. The biggest issue is how Microsoft have simply not acknowledged Lockhart yet and those not on forums just don't know about it. In fact there has been no leaks or indications the Lockhart is even being made yet. Is it even coming out this year?

That would be a bigger problem than HI being delayed.

HAL-01

Just to be clear - you were referring to skin shader, but now you are writing about lighting. I’m not sure anymore what we are talking about ;).

This is good comparison - you are looking here at the same models shaders included. Even shadow quality looks very similar jet probably a bit more precise at left. The main difference will be post process (assuming that cut-scene image is good quality which I expect is not). It’s also probably super sampled so you see this crisp details and more precision on hairs and shadows. Usually you want to do that for your portfolio renders (like from Unreal 4). But in the end those two represent two different approaches and intentions - artist to represent his work and Director/Art Director/Creative Director/etc to make it more movie alike, natural.

But as I said at the beginning both are from engine. There’s no magic here.
Yes, my point is that there's no reason for the artist to limit their showcase to real-time settings when the engine can do better taking a bit more time. Similarly to how UE4 ArchViz renders can calculate lighting at a higher accuracy than how they are in the real-time preview.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Would make sense if supply is low. Its their biggest market. COD is also huge in the US.

I'm American so can others answer this, is Black Friday shopping a thing anywhere else? I've always assumed that its just a US thing.

The pressure to release early to mid-November in the US is pretty much just because of that day and so they can't afford to miss that window, but only in the US, right?

Would seem reasonable to launch same day as COD in the US, pre Thanksgiving, then just roll out to other countries in the next few weeks... if they have limited supply.

kyliethicc

It is definitely going to be interesting how Microsoft go about positioning them. The biggest issue is how Microsoft have simply not acknowledged Lockhart yet and those not on forums just don't know about it. In fact there has been no leaks or indications the Lockhart is even being made yet. Is it even coming out this year?

That would be a bigger problem than HI being delayed.
I could see Series S being shown in 2020, but then released 2021 alongside a One S price cut (or discontinued). Maybe March or Aug/Sept 2021. Idk.

Would make sense if supply is low. Its their biggest market. COD is also huge in the US.

I'm American so can others answer this, is Black Friday shopping a thing anywhere else? I've always assumed that its just a US thing.

The pressure to release early to mid-November in the US is pretty much just because of that day and so they can't afford to miss that window, but only in the US, right?

Would seem reasonable to launch same day as COD in the US, pre Thanksgiving, then just roll out to other countries in the next few weeks... if they have limited supply.
It is a thing here in Cyprus where i live, but it's not on the same scale as it is in the USA.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

Ignoring whether there is a staggered release or whatever, I'm gathering they had to mention that it was coming to Playstation 5 on that screen since they're selling pre-orders for it. Adding to that, I'm pretty sure, regardless of release date for that game on PS5, no way in hell they would be allowed to put what it actually is right now.

I could see Series S being shown in 2020, but then released 2021 alongside a One S price cut (or discontinued). Maybe March or Aug/Sept 2021. Idk.

It is a huge potential problem for Microsoft. If it isn't coming until next year and XSX is above $500? With no big game it will be a disaster against an already tough competitor in PS5.

They can't just cut their losses and price XSX really low without messing with their own Lockhart. What to do?

I would like to think thats the target.

Its the magical number that works and the suits who worry about the bottom line (making money) know its good to stay with whats proven to work.

Just not sure that number is attainable.

You hear any more rumblings about those serious moneyhats? Are they really significant enough to start fires worse than Avengers Spidey?

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
It's probably a staggered release. So basically Nov/Dec in NA and December everywhere else. Probably due to shipping constraints.
Black friday is a big deal everywhere but in the US especially. So they probably want it out before then plus the US is their most competitive territory with MS. Makes sense to push it out there quicker

FunkMiller

I would like to think thats the target.

Its the magical number that works and the suits who worry about the bottom line (making money) know its good to stay with whats proven to work.

Just not sure that number is attainable.

You’d think, after the huge and positive reaction to the 399 price tag of the PS4, that Sony would have been well aware throughout the entire production of the Ps5 that 399 is the sweet spot. I’m half convinced that’s why the DE exists - to recreate that positivity, while also pushing a more expensive digital future. I’m pretty convinced we’re looking at 399 DE and 499 disc version. It feels right. Microsoft might well be more at the extremes with the more powerful and less powerful hardware.

FunkMiller

If what I have heard is true and have my doubts Spidey pales in comparison.

To the gaming community, or the more general audience? Or would that be getting too specific? Because something like Elden Ring being exclusive would be a megaton to us, but not to the general public. Whereas something like COD would hit with both.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Why do you care about sales? Shouldn't we all care for value we get for out money? Having such a good BC is definitely something that cranks it up. Top-management is much better in taking care of sales than us.

I can't believe we're arguing about backwards compatibility. Look, I'm getting a PS5. Period. But BC is definitely an advantage that Microsoft and the Xbox platform has. As far as we KNOW anyway, the PS5 doesn't upscale PS4 games the same way that the XSX does. That would be an advantage to MS as well.

Now, that doesn't mean much to ME. I mean, I might want to throw some super old game in there for sentimental reasons, but that's it. Having that game upscaled, etc. would be very cool. But not a big deal for me. For others...it may BE a big deal.

What if MS has the data that says that BC IS A HUGE DEAL to their customer base? What if they'd only have half their current sales if they didn't have this BC capability? Bottom line is that they have the data. They know how much it's needed or wanted and also what it costs them to support. I assume there's a valid business reason for them to continue supporting BC and investing in it. Maybe Sony will start doing that too...maybe not.

Bottom line, it IS an advantage for Microsoft at this time. It's just debatable how much of a difference that actually makes.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
To the gaming community, or the more general audience? Or would that be getting too specific? Because something like Elden Ring being exclusive would be a megaton to us, but not to the general public. Whereas something like COD would hit with both.

Its not a niche game its one you go wow they pulled that off with THAT game?

Really dont want to say too much I wish someone else would have said this particular one but have just heard others say its big and would assume everyone is talking about the same thing.

Codeblew

I blocked CrapgamerReviews on YouTube a while back, his videos still appear in my Home tab annoyingly.

Every video title is clickbait and has absolutely no relevant information, it’s hilarious.

The comments to his videos are the best bit, I had to stop myself from reading them to avoid giving him a view, for every bullshit video.
Holy shit this guy is so annoying. The content of his videos never have anything to do with the clickbait title. It is so annoying seeing his vids pop up on my Roku.

FunkMiller

I think the only game I'd come away thinking that for, is GTA

Yeah, that’s what I think it might be too. That’s a huge megaton - but also a game series that really hit its stride on the PlayStation, so it wouldn’t feel ‘wrong‘ to the audience if it were on Ps5 and PC, but not Xbox.

Last edited:

Its not a niche game its one you go wow they pulled that off with THAT game?

Really dont want to say too much I wish someone else would have said this particular one but have just heard others say its big and would assume everyone is talking about the same thing.

Surely there is only one game big enough for a big WOW response universally? We know it isn't the other possible one now in COD.....

It would still be hard to believe any sort of meaningful exclusivity could be pulled off with it but we'll see I guess. This sort of thing could even backfire to some extent these days!

FunkMiller

Surely there is only one game big enough for a big WOW response universally? We know it isn't the other possible one now in COD.....

It would still be hard to believe any sort of meaningful exclusivity could be pulled off with it but we'll see I guess. This sort of thing could even backfire to some extent these days!

One year only on Ps5 and PC. I don’t see them getting full exclusivity for it. Though PC might be later anyway, so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I am not saying its THAT game but which game led off the PS5 showcase?

Thought that was odd.

And not even implying its that for those who are looking in here.

I found it odd that they chose to lead off with that game considering it seemed like GTA 6 seems like it's possibly a 2022 title based on some things I've come across here or there online. My guess is, they did that to satiate the need for a GTA title, worthy of being on the new hardware, because they know that 6 is still a while off.

Kind of the.. yeah, we know we need to give PS5 owners something GTA while they wait. Especially considering R* still owe Sony something for the Agent game that so far is vaporware.

Best 2007 game was GOW2 easy for me. Would restart a new game a finish it again each day, for like 20 days straight. This game was so insane, and pretty much perfect in all areas of its genre, it was insane how it was running on a 7 years old PS2 hardware!! A lot of people know Cory with GOW PS4 but don't know it's actually not the first masterpiece he directed, but actually the 2nd masterpiece he directed.
I borrowed 360 to play Bioshock. I believe it was best game in 2007 with GOW2. By end of the year , Uncharted introduced me to the real next gen. I still remember how I finally realized that Ken was always right. Next gen doesn't start until we say so.

Last edited:

One year only on Ps5 and PC. I don’t see them getting full exclusivity for it. Though PC might be later anyway, so 🤷🏻‍♂️

Oh for sure but even that on such a game will cause uproar. We have already had the anti-consumer stuff doing the rounds for relatively minor things. This would be a war.

Not sure the hassle would be worth it to be honest.

Sinthor

Gold Member
the ninth is apparently the next big date, for sony, at least that's the speculation.

Ratchet and Clank demo was a thing of beauty, stream looked like shit, watch it somewhere else.

Our friend Alex and Df does not want to do another R+c video, they said they have covered it enough times already.

@geordiemp after a week ban, he is chomping at the bit, a couple of fud spreader have already felt his wrath.

@Bo_Hazem made a great thread on rachet and clank screenies, you should check it out, its rather excellent.

@AeneaGames lost 40 pounds over the week in weight, then put it all back on while visiting an all you can eat restaurant, the restaurant also went out of commission that same night.

@X-Fighter after returning from an extended mental-time-out-break is still acting like the last soldier from Custer's last stand. Dedicated to the end. He also likes awards.

@Mod of War finally came out saying he likes bugsnax

I watched 4 twilight films over a couple of nights, Till the end of time, i will forever hate Sinthor Sinthor for recommending that shit to me.

I told Darklor01 Darklor01 to crank up the settings on his old pc while playing the new flight sim. Not heard from him for a few days. I suspect there has been some burnout.

a lot of general waring, fighting and the usual fun that is associated with this forum.

All in all, everyone is getting on like a house on fire.

I have been very quiet myself, just putting out fire, and making friends where ever i go. :messenger_grinning:

Alot more stuff but yer enough for now

Ps
MasterCornholio MasterCornholio linked something he should not off and hurt my feelings, he has been forgiven. Enough said.

Whaaaaat??? You didn't find Twilight amusing? Must be a tough crowd down there 'under the sea,' eh? Little Mermaid re-runs about it for you?

sircaw

Banned
Whaaaaat??? You didn't find Twilight amusing? Must be a tough crowd down there 'under the sea,' eh? Little Mermaid re-runs about it for you?

There was a lot of running it, some very bad acting, some vampires that all looked like they came from an Antifa meeting,.

I have been permanently scarred because of you, you will pay for this, i don't know how, but you will pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom