• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrysisFreak

Banned
39DW6vL.jpg

This is probably another fanboy wishlist but dear God I wish it was true. Come on now Sony do something... anything... I’m so freaking tired of waiting.
If this actually happens I'd say they have won the generation, unless MS rolls with a significant price undercut.

Dibils2k

I'm surprised people are asking digital foundry for another ratchet and clank video as the initial look was fine and the new trailer shows us that they're still improving it. I'd be much more likely to watch the final game be analysed when it is launched in a few months.

If the do one and there is another video that shows even more improvements then will they have to make another video?
just fanboy nonsense

they weirdly also want it so they can nitpick things from the video that they can hate on towards DF 😆

The most wise thing to do, at least for those who will buy PS5 early is to just manage themselves with 800GB of PS5 for 2 years, after 2 years i expect those SSD will be a lot more cheaper, like around 150-200 buck for 1 T max. Games shouldn't be that huge considering devs won't have to dupe datas to improve loading times, and there will also be an option to choose to delete online/solo separately which also be a big storage space saver.

For those who won't buy PS5 in the first year, then should go for a PS5 model with more storage, i would expect Sony will release a model in that kind in year? it will of course be more expensive but probably a better deal in terms of budget than buying PS5 + new SSD
External HDDs are great

Elysion

Banned
Is anyone else surprised that we haven't heard anything from Bethesda yet? No sign of Starfield or TES6, despite the fact that both have been announced more than two years ago. I would've exepected that at least one of them would be shown alongside either the PS5 or the XSX, similar to how Oblivion back in 2005 was one of the earliest big next gen games shown.

zaitsu

Banned
Is anyone else surprised that we haven't heard anything from Bethesda yet? No sign of Starfield or TES6, despite the fact that both have been announced more than two years ago. I would've exepected that at least one of them would be shown alongside either the PS5 or the XSX, similar to how Oblivion back in 2005 was one of the earliest big next gen games shown.
2023 say hello to you ( at best)
Bethesda was to buisy making remaster of remaster.

HAL-01

ok, I am out! you dont seem to be able to understand.
ITS 1580P RESCALED TO 4K
with the temporal injection method FOR 1580P, which is to keep information on screen from the previous frame and blur it (see my gif),
they managed to go at this resolution, WITH RICH AA, otherwise the game would be well below 1440p, and when its busy, WAY BELOW THAT
It seems it was you who misunderstood and is now doubling down on being wrong to try and save face. It’s ok to be wrong sometimes, people are often wrong here, you’re not the first.

We have a direct quote from an insomniac dev stating they render a native 1580p image, then blend it with previous frames to upscale to a master 4K output.

The videos you’ve linked to don’t contradict this either. DF specifically states they can only count pixels right after a camera cut, as there the temporal injection technique has no past frames to work with, and you see the raw 1580p image.

What you’re saying instead is that they render half of 1580p, which is roughly about 1120P. Tell me why would a PS4 pro render an ever so slightly higher resolution than 1080, when base PS4 is native 1080 most times? Wouldn’t It make more sense they render at 1440p and 1580p, and upscale from there? Because that makes more sense, and that’s what they do.

It is transparently clear to everyone else, and so every post you keep this up is just hurting you and your future credibility.

sircaw

Banned
Imagine being caught in a group of Discordia with so many famous people and still trying to pass some... Impartiality.

Maybe, and just maybe, some people forgot about the GitHub data leak a year earlier, or the PS5 (FUD) serious heating problems ...

But I will never forget that Alex Battaglia was up to his neck with this!

The most worrying is that this group comprised a series of people with a high reputation in the forums and beyond. Here is a list of some names:

Duke Blue Balls

DrYko

Colbert

code

Proven

Shepstal Ed

Doc H1X1

Klobrille

Lukastaves

Jeff Rickel

Dictator

Fairy Empire

Headache

Bcatwilly

Brand Sams

Zedox

Among others;

Source https://www.pcmanias.com/playstatio...ncerteza-e-duvida-alteracoes-aos-comentarios/

Only being part of the console generation for just over a couple of years, i sometimes shudder the thought at how deep this rabbit hole goes.

It is shameful, beyond shameful

FunkMiller

Gold Member
When do you guys think Ratchet and Clank will release ?
1. Nov-Dec 2020
2. Jan-Mar 2021
3. Mar 2021+

Personally I think its no.2; Insomniac specifically said launch window and not 'this year'. I think it's foolish to expect it this year.

February. Give everyone a chance to finish Miles Morales...... and Demon’s Souls.

Because Demon’s Souls IS a launch game. Believe. Praise the sun and believe!

It seems it was you who misunderstood and is now doubling down on being wrong to try and save face. It’s ok to be wrong sometimes, people are often wrong here, you’re not the first.

We have a direct quote from an insomniac dev stating they render a native 1580p image, then blend it with previous frames to upscale to a master 4K output.

The videos you’ve linked to don’t contradict this either. DF specifically states they can only count pixels right after a camera cut, as there the temporal injection technique has no past frames to work with, and you see the raw 1580p image.

What you’re saying instead is that they render half of 1580p, which is roughly about 1120P. Tell me why would a PS4 pro render an ever so slightly higher resolution than 1080, when base PS4 is native 1080 most times? Wouldn’t It make more sense they render at 1440p and 1580p, and upscale from there? Because that makes more sense, and that’s what they do.

It is transparently clear to everyone else, and so every post you keep this up is just hurting you and your future credibility.
ps4 is 900p when a little busy
and you dont have to be a magician to count the resolution, just have time to spend. all you need is to turn the blur off, and find a straight line that is not completely perpendicular, and count it.

its not my fault that some of you dont want to understand. I try and am elaborate in what I write.
now, because it is the second time you comment this way, allow me to not spent a second more on you, ever.

sircaw

Banned
39DW6vL.jpg

This is probably another fanboy wishlist but dear God I wish it was true. Come on now Sony do something... anything... I’m so freaking tired of waiting.

The crazy thing about this list, and going by what we have witnessed the last few months, i think this list might be true.

Why, its sounds very reasonable. If i was to make a list on what i think would be shown, most of that would hit the mark, i think a lot of people here too would come to those Games as well.

There is nothing that sounds to unbelievable there.

If this list is true, can people imagine having Spiderman + demon souls as launch games, coupled with the fact that rachet and clank could be there as a launch title or very shortly after.

That is some SERIOUS CLOUT.

If this is correct, and yes don't put all your eggs in one basket but wowzers people.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It was raytracing and physically accurate. The view angle causes a distorted upside-down view of the street below. here’s a quick sketch

aSNLt84.jpg

They most likely removed it cause RT wasn’t playing nice with the alpha effects of the portal, causing them to pop-in after ratchet gets out. They’re probably working it out

You have an iPad Pro?

Well, going 8K by 2023-2024 with PS5 Pro anyway, hope that CLED (Crystal LED, rivals MicroLED) gets to consumer level. I'm not satisfied by the TV market in general, but XH90 is "great" in terms of quality:value ratio ;) I just saw XH80 (X800H) and it looked gorgeous to me, so anything more would be welcomed! Assuming Sony's a7s III and its lenses isn't killing my budget. :lollipop_crying:

I totally agree, I ended up getting the 85" X900H which is scheduled to deliver on Sept 8th which I think should hold me over for a few years until Crystal LED or Micro LED are out and become reasonably priced. I'm waiting for my gift cards for my Sony rewards account which once I get those will be getting the Denon AVR-X2700H, just counting down to the holidays for that sweet PS5 release!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hold a mirror or your phone at a 45 degree slope away from you, then look down from the upper edge. You’ll find everything that’s reflected is the ground below the mirror

F80AHjE.jpg

I understand your logic, and it's correct, but the slope isn't straight, it's concaved.

So you should see the sky more and the edge of the earth at best:

concave+mirror.gif

vlcsnap-2020-08-31-01h46m46s276.png

EDIT: HAL-01 HAL-01 explanations makes more sense.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I totally agree, I ended up getting the 85" X900H which is scheduled to deliver on Sept 8th which I think should hold me over for a few years until Crystal LED or Micro LED are out and become reasonably priced. I'm waiting for my gift cards for my Sony rewards account which once I get those will be getting the Denon AVR-X2700H, just counting down to the holidays for that sweet PS5 release!

I was planning for that massive size, but seems even 65" is an overkill as I'm less than 2 meters away, more like 1.8 meters away (6ft). Congrats on that baby! Might sound funny, but we just got XH90 (X900H) few days ago in my country, and they're getting them to my city next week. I'll be getting that nasty a7S III first, it's actually more important to me than the Holy PS5 itself. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Been waiting for that for like 5 years of hesitation and waiting and not buying any DSLR/MLIC camera.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of folks talk about Sony's first party offerings and it leads me to believe that the launch lineup may be ridiculously strong.

It's wiser to wait as they have been and say "launch window" or nothing, so as to avoid any unfortunate scenarios if they are planned to be launch day titles.

As we get closer, maybe one reason is they are waiting on those guarantees from the developers. "Can you make launch day? Are you certain?"

Once they commit, slap the real date on it. It is wildly improbable, but think about the potential scenario here--if Ratchet, Spidey, Demon's Souls, and GT7 make launch, there's very little Microsoft could do to counter that outside of price, maybe. This doesn't include any surprises they may have kept secret til now.

Before you say that's impossible, *look* at how tight the info on the system has been until THEY spoke, predominantly. To say it couldn't be the same for software is also true.

I dont believe it'll happen, but if it does, whew.

zaitsu

Banned
I've seen a lot of folks talk about Sony's first party offerings and it leads me to believe that the launch lineup may be ridiculously strong.

It's wiser to wait as they have been and say "launch window" or nothing, so as to avoid any unfortunate scenarios if they are planned to be launch day titles.

As we get closer, maybe one reason is they are waiting on those guarantees from the developers. "Can you make launch day? Are you certain?"

Once they commit, slap the real date on it. It is wildly improbable, but think about the potential scenario here--if Ratchet, Spidey, Demon's Souls, and GT7 make launch, there's very little Microsoft could do to counter that outside of price, maybe. This doesn't include any surprises they may have kept secret til now.

Before you say that's impossible, *look* at how tight the info on the system has been until THEY spoke, predominantly. To say it couldn't be the same for software is also true.

I dont believe it'll happen, but if it does, whew.
I would say that ratchet was launch title until Covid has happen.

I would say that ratchet was launch title until Covid has happen.

Yeah, Covid-19 is always the omnipresent factor in all this. For months, we were worried about Sony's silence. They've hit snags, they've got cold feet, something is amiss, etc.

As time has gone on, its clear that it has always been purposeful. What they've shown so far has been calculated and executed to avoid pitfalls.

We shall see in the next couple of weeks if their silence was golden or deafening. I am picking the former.

HAL-01

You have an iPad Pro?
Yeah i use it for work, im an illustrator.

I understand your logic, and it's correct, but the slope isn't straight, and it's concaved.
yeah that's just for the mirror test, here's a new graphic more accurate to the building in R&C. ive found that compared to the angle of the adjacent buildings, the slope is at least 60 degrees at its steepest, and at least 40 at its base. The building is vertically concave and horizontally convex, and that makes for a trippy reflection

yQwf6CT.jpg

Got a X900E with my Pro to tide me over til next gen. I'm gonna keep a close eye on the sets that are shown at CES 2021 to pick my next set. As much as I wish for a micro led set, they're just too far off. Hoping Sony's new OLEDs will be amazing next year.
Sony's OLED is an LG panel, but with Sony processing (which is the best in the biz). As for waiting to see what OLED does next year, I wouldn't bother. OLED has peaked in performance. Top-emission OLED may hit the market, but all you'll get from that is a slightly brighter panel.

QD-OLED is the next evolution and Samsung Display is making them. Quantum dots for the color and a large blue OLED panel behind driving it. Best part is this should solve the issue of burn-in. Probably 2022 is when you'll see this in your local Best Buy.

There's also QNED (quantum nano emitting display) which is being made by Samsung Display as well. Basically a true self-emitting quantum dot display.

As for mico-LED, it's Samsung Electronics pet project. As it is, it's incredibly difficult to scale down to living room sizes. Fun fact, the actual size of the current "mico-LED" themselves are actually more in line with mini-LED. Scaling them down has been a total thorn in Samsung Electronics side. QD-OLED is further along at this point.

yeah that's just for the mirror test, here's a new graphic more accurate to the building in R&C. ive found that compared to the angle of the adjacent buildings, the slope is at least 60 degrees at its steepest, and at least 40 at its base. The building is vertically concave and horizontally convex, and that makes for a trippy reflection

yQwf6CT.jpg
Everyone is looking at the the graph and line bounces, while I'm wondering why you put a face on the cats body instead of its actual face.

zaitsu

Banned

yQwf6CT.jpg
What you are not taking into the calculation is that street is much lower than slope. Im still in team that it shouldnt be seen on slope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom