• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyMP3

When you look at the PS5 hardware, everything starts to make sense as it relates to VR. I'd even bet the PSVR2 headset will also contain the same haptic feedback tech as the PS5 controller.
I think the telling thing with the Geometry Engine is that it's completely optional for developers.
As Cerny has said "You're free to ignore its existence".
If you want to use the GPU as normal, you can. It can partially be used it to help with vertex clearing... Or fully fire it up and render Primitive Shaders on the fly

Let's see if we can get more speculation going.

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , do your birdies or buddies believe Microsoft will acquiesce to the pressure and reveal the prices at this supposed Lockhart event or will they still hold back to play cat and mouse with Sony even longer?

Delpij

Tim Sweeney said an investment was made after the presentation...
But nobody knows when the deal was originally brought to the table. Might be before the presentation, might be after.

Epic has been fundraising since Q1 2020, at a $15B pre-money valuation.
They did a big round with KPCB and others back in 2018.

But yeah, keep going guys.

Fortnite maker Epic Games today announced a $1.78 billion funding round at a $17.3 billion valuation. The company said the funding included new capital such as Sony’s previously announced $250 million investment as well as secondary purchases from employee equity holders.

splattered

You guys don't want a battle of third party bought exclusives for next gen... if MS gets serious about it there is no way Sony would be able to outbid them in any scenario. It's best that this stuff is kept to a minimum for the first year of launch until both companies are further along with their first party titles.

I can taste the salt of PC players.

If they are a true gamer. Just buy a PS plug it into a monitor, kvm switch & enjoy games. There's no other excuse to miss out on games if you are a gamer & want to play those games.

I'm not sure there's going to be bloodboorne 2. I think its Castlevania in Bloodboorne style. That was the rumour of the Konami revival. (Which I believe) MSG remake, Silent hill reboot , Castlevania reboot.

I understand that PS5 has the novelty of developing around power consumption, but struggling to get 1080p60 (something that games on PS4 can achieve)... Is the dev even trying? wtf

Many devs have already commented on 120FPS, 60 FPS games on PS5. How can the new box run worse then both old PS boxes. Using "underpower" Jaguar. Insomniac already said 4K60. Sounds like fud projecting ,So let's move on from fud spreading at its finest. This sounds like projecting of own issues. After all Where is the XSX captured footage.

Hmm. Interesting opinion from the dev. And what do you think?
Zero Dawn is based on the entire GPU-pipeline, where the GPU produces: procedural traverse and placement of vegetation and biomes, pointcloud generation, buffering of the word matrix of all placed objects, texture blending and filtering, and prepares primitives. All preliminary and main rendering takes place on the GPU. Further, the data buffer is already copied to the CPU to simulate gameplay, physics, and AI logic based on the data obtained. When placing objects on job0, job1 is rendered and computational shaders speed up non-graphical tasks and asynchronous calls, which is also a game load that is not typical for a PC. This is some kind of reverse rendering, quite complex, and you have to be a super programmer to make it all work like this in real time. But knowing their works for many years of experience with Cell on PS3 with its sub-inverted asynchrony and spinlocky multithreaded rendering, this is clearly a familiar thing. To put it simply, they opened the vessel with a tight neck and simply knocked out the bottom. Therefore, the PC and the problem where the CPU is always in charge, "tight neck", regardless of the task and can't work with the GPU directly, but only through calls to the driver through an abstract layer of the software interface. It's awfully slow. Of course, there are CPU-to-GPU phase initializations before biome formation and normal forwarding to rendering and reading, but they are not predominant. The phase of reverse copying and converting, according to PCI-E data on the PC, the entire pipeline is eventually interrupted and stopped periodically. It's not a crooked port, it's just that the game doesn't run on a PC, and thinks it's still on PS4.
In short, this is a direct port, where the most specific tasks were pulled through the engine, which would most likely just crush the entire code. And there are reasons for this: no one will redo such projects specifically for the PC, because it's a long time, because the whole game is rebuilt, and it's more expensive and there is a chance to break everything and fix it not improve it. PC gamers must be happy with the fact that it works at all. But the new sony's console break balls to all of PS5 to PC ports. Any direct port of the main title from the console will require too many resources.

I was saying this with Gamernyc78 Gamernyc78 pages back. Somehow out of the chaos of PS3. Sony still found a win. The CELL weeded out who were super programmers & who were average.And the devs that were super programmers are now the PS studios. Was that luck or what??

I'm not even tech Savy like geordie & few others in here. But I can add up some things. As we get deeper into the gen & more devs rebuild their engines & decide to fully use the PS5 & its all easy to build games. PC & XSX are going to miss out on some games. Forget the GE engine. We have not even gone into the low latency that the PS5 has already. And if it's 3D stacked. If it's 3D Stacked. PC & XSX are missing out games this gen. And I don't think more RAM brute forcing will help the PC space.

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

You guys don't want a battle of third party bought exclusives for next gen... if MS gets serious about it there is no way Sony would be able to outbid them in any scenario. It's best that this stuff is kept to a minimum for the first year of launch until both companies are further along with their first party titles.
Why do people keep thinking MS money is Xbox money? It's much more expensive to keep games out of Xbox than PS given today's userbase and predictions.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Why do people keep thinking MS money is Xbox money? It's much more expensive to keep games out of Xbox than PS given today's userbase and predictions.

Misunderstanding of how a corporation like Microsoft operates. Shareholders aren’t going to be happy if the company as a whole starts throwing cash at the XBox division. It’s not how things work.

What matters is comparing like for like. IE: Sony Interactive Entertainment & Xbox division. Not Microsoft vs Sony.

Last edited:

ErRor88

OK This is huge. RE ran badly on PS5 but run perfectly on XSX...

Caveat this game is months or even years away so it could change.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

So it runs good on the one x or series x. The game is cross platform right.

jimbojim

Banned

Don't think that MS is the charity for Xbox. MS won't give some money from other division to Xbox just to buy some 3rd party exclusives. Gaming division is on their own.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Misunderstanding of how a corporation like Microsoft operates. Shareholders aren’t going to be happy if the company as a whole starts throwing cash at the XBox division. It’s not how things work.

What matters is comparing like for like. IE: Sony Interactive Entertainment & Xbox division. Not Microsoft vs Sony.

At this point it isn't misunderstandings. Many of us have explained how corps work, with investors, yearly budgets/constraints and how Microsoft's money of trillions isn't xboxs money. They have a budget, investors to make happy and no unlimited funds. Sony's gaming division in terms of profit are a run away victory and thy have more money to spend in gaming related things, easily. We've explained this a gazillion times but fans will be fans, now all tht third party exclusivity talk if it comes to fruition is a direct result of what we've been saying. Microsoft focuses on revenue for last decade because profits been low compared to Sony. Sony talks revenue and highlights profit because they are killing it.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
Oh boy, Dusk Golem, a well-known insider just said that RE8 is having problems running on PS5, seems like PS5 can't hit 1080p 60 FPS while XSX can hit 4K 60 FPS. 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

7JDPtwo.png

MriHrP0.png

Hmm. Interesting opinion from the dev. And what do you think?

Yeah, that is pretty damn interesting, and illustrates that there can be fundamental problems with PS4 ports to PC because of major architectural differences. Not a trivial issue to fix in this case because Guerrilla Game’s foliage placement subsystem makes particularly heavy use of the PS4’s asynchronous compute customizations.

I admit with each passing day that stretches into weeks I become more frustrated at *both* companies.

Microsoft may finally open their mouth this week regarding Lockhart, but they still may not divulge much else, which wouldn't surprise me the way it's all gone down so far.

We're roughly 3 weeks to the end of August. It'll then be September, TWO months until these systems supposedly hit the store shelves.

We know fuck-all. No price, no date, no confirmed launch titles beyond vague Holiday 2020 placeholders.

It's impatience talking, but if you got the bombs, on either side, drop them. Drum up something positive in 2020.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Oh boy, Dusk Golem, a well-known insider just said that RE8 is having problems running on PS5, seems like PS5 can't hit 1080p 60 FPS while XSX can hit 4K 60 FPS. 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

7JDPtwo.png

MriHrP0.png
Reminds me of the Sony dev kit talk having issues for months, also yeild issues "supposed known insiders" and we all know how tht is going 😊

Has to conveniently be some minor negative Sony news to combat the overwhelming positive 🔥❤️

Last edited:

Brudda26

7JDPtwo.png

MriHrP0.png
It's hilarious dusk golem forsnt even mention 4k for XSX and the most recent showing of RE8 was at 4k30 anyway. Dudes getting fed incorrect info for sure.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

7JDPtwo.png

MriHrP0.png
I mean.. if there's any truth to it, could come down to something like Geometry Engine usage. Use of a bespoke component like that will take time to come to full fruition for 3rd partys.

Or maybe it's an engine with high CU utilization. Or both.

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
Reminds me of the Sony dev kit talk having issues for months, also yeild issues "supposed known insiders" and we all know how tht is going 😊

Has to conveniently be some minor negative Sony news to combat the overwhelming positive 🔥
Yeah exactly, the rumor is bogus, there's no way the differences between the consoles is anywhere near those stated number differentials, maybe he got it wrong.

HawarMiran

Banned

7JDPtwo.png

MriHrP0.png
Nah... I don't believe that for a sec.Nothing they showed of that game looks like something that would even cause problems on current gen....

zaitsu

Banned

sircaw

Banned
[

I just canceled my Ps5 preorder... Again, new xbox is where it's at.

I don't care if there are still optimizations to be made, I don't care that both games could be in completely different stages of production. All I want is that 1 extra fps.

Give it to me.

JonnyMP3

He also said a long time ago that Cerny is damn smart and tricky devil, because he made a console that top tier devs want to work with. But I didn't really think much of it, but now I think I understand why he said that. I would just like to see it in action already.
There's a reason why some of us were on the Cerny bandwagon since the PS4 reveal, 7-8 years ago. Everything that man has said has always been technical and factual with no PR bullshit.
A lot of people tried to discredit him back then and the people that believed in him were part of the Sony/Cerny circlejerk... But guess who was right 8 years later?

Not the ones that showed they had zero computer engineering understanding on any base level.
And now Cerny has been acknowledged as Kutaragi's spiritual successor!

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yeah exactly, the rumor is bogus, there's no way the differences between the consoles is anywhere near those stated number differentials, maybe he got it wrong.

Just add tht to what I mentioned also no ray tracing rumors 9tf machine, no RDNA 2 and whole bunch of other shit the propoganda machine keeps taking L's on.

Don't worry Sony will send ice team tips over there to get tht magic running 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

Yeah it's hugeeeee 😂😂 like no ray tracing, ps5 yield issues, devkit issues all tales out of "supposed known insiders" ass.

Bro we don't believe them no more 🔥🔥

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It's feasible that for some specific engine the differences between XSX and PS5 aren't favoring PS5... or just in it's current state if it's not utilizing PS5's advantages.

That same game could perform better on PS5 in 6 months if they haven't fully taken advantage of the bespoke hardware.

The Xbox is once again a "use our SDK" machine; there's likely not a whole lot for devs to figure out.

Last edited:

Elog

Dusk Golem made a bit of a fool of himself in that thread. The real narrative is that a game developed on PC run better out of the box on an XSX dev kit compared to a PS5 dev kit.

That is as expected since the XSX is basically a console PC while the PS5 has more customisations and a different API.

See Thanatos post: "So you went from saying multiple devs and multiple games to really talking about one game? And what you really meant was that porting the game to the Xbox dev kit was easier than the PS5 dev kit, which happens all the time in game development? (Porting to one dev kit, let's say the Switch in my example, can be easy but the other consoles need more work - this happens all the time).

I'm not trying to call you out here but your statements were pretty definitive and broad and ever since making them you have been backtracking. Games running worse on one platform than another when they are first being ported happens all the time and not noting that when saying what you've been saying is only telling half-truths, and you should absolutely be called out on that. Especially since optimization and frame rate tend to be some of the last things locked down for games.

I've worked on AAA games where one version doesn't even boot past the title screen for a month or the game runs at 5 fps and all of that that was a perfectly normal part of the dev process since sometimes shit doesn't work properly until the proper code is built to support it.

That's not to say that the game won't run better on Series X when it releases, it very well could (will likely run at higher resolution at the very least) but come on man - what you said at first and what you just said now clearly don't match up with each other."

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Dusk Golem made a bit of a fool of himself in that thread. The real narrative is that a game developed on PC run better out of the box on an XSX dev kit compared to a PS5 dev kit.

That is as expected since the XSX is basically a console PC while the PS5 has more customisations and a different API.

See Thanatos post: "So you went from saying multiple devs and multiple games to really talking about one game? And what you really meant was that porting the game to the Xbox dev kit was easier than the PS5 dev kit, which happens all the time in game development? (Porting to one dev kit, let's say the Switch in my example, can be easy but the other consoles need more work - this happens all the time).

I'm not trying to call you out here but your statements were pretty definitive and broad and ever since making them you have been backtracking. Games running worse on one platform than another when they are first being ported happens all the time and not noting that when saying what you've been saying is only telling half-truths, and you should absolutely be called out on that. Especially since optimization and frame rate tend to be some of the last things locked down for games.

I've worked on AAA games where one version doesn't even boot past the title screen for a month or the game runs at 5 fps and all of that that was a perfectly normal part of the dev process since sometimes shit doesn't work properly until the proper code is built to support it.

That's not to say that the game won't run better on Series X when it releases, it very well could (will likely run at higher resolution at the very least) but come on man - what you said at first and what you just said now clearly don't match up with each other."

We been here long enough to know how things work around here. Sony shows its ass off with killer games, features, etc... Then all of a sudden a supposed insider spreads some negative propoganda, then Sony shows or gives info contrary to the supposed insiders and trolls take another L. It's been happening for over a decade and Sony usually is in the right side of things.

Also, exactly, its a fucking game in development 😂😂😂

Mr Moose

I don't think it was running at 1080p though so... His info is inaccurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom