• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
Sircaw on GAF

Your Standards Gerdie are heading straight down the gutter, you used to be a nice, well-mannered chap, it's like you have been tainted, your soul has now become Darkened.

In essence, you have now evolved or devolved, depending on your viewpoint into MasterCornholio MasterCornholio .

I am afraid you are lost at sea.

I have done everything in my power to keep you on the straight and narrow, but I have unfortunately failed you.

Just like Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem before you, I have failed. I am sorry.

NEXT.

I'll throw my hat into the Elden Ring theory.
Sony swiped Microsoft's announced FromSoft game totally away from Xbox?
Demon's Souls, Bloodborne sequel and Elden Ring on 1 system?
There would be bloodshed in the Souls community!
It certainly makes sense to be Elden Ring, me might have been looking too much in the past to find the "game associated with Xbox" and if we read what Imran said it makes sense to be a game like Elden Ring, he said "titles Microsoft used to brag about having in their presentations"
But even then, if there is a deal with COD we might know it this Monday.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Hmm.... what do you mean by that?! Is it really THAT big? Oh my....Sony what are you doing?

You’re gonna give fanboys a panic attack. 😫😫😫😫

tenor.gif

sircaw

Banned
I'll throw my hat into the Elden Ring theory.
Sony swiped Microsoft's announced FromSoft game totally away from Xbox?
Demon's Souls, Bloodborne sequel and Elden Ring on 1 system?
There would be bloodshed in the Souls community!

It would be a hell of a coup, The best place to play all the souls games.

bloodborne alone was one of the main reasons I got a ps4, which souls fan in their right mind would want to miss out on the demon souls remake and imagine a 3-6 month exclusive deal on Elden ring.

that would be painful to see in true souls fashion :messenger_angry_horns:

T-Cake

Could there be any truth to this 🤔

I've read through that (eugh) but it strikes me as being the exact opposite of what's posted everywhere else. The PS5 is easy to develop for, MS dev kit has issues which aren't being resolved until the summer hardware refresh (probably about now).

LiquidRex

I've read through that (eugh) but it strikes me as being the exact opposite of what's posted everywhere else. The PS5 is easy to develop for, MS dev kit has issues which aren't being resolved until the summer hardware refresh (probably about now).

What issues are Microsoft having, and how are they being resolved... Are they having to make adjustments to some of the specs... Or is this just speculation...🤔 I've not been on here lately.

I know there will be a difference in performance, but I doubt it's going to be a big one. But I'm sure those comments are going to spark a lot of attention.

T-Cake

What issues are Microsoft having, and how are they being resolved... Are they having to make adjustments to some of the specs... Or is this just speculation...🤔 I've not been on here lately.

I think it was something to do with the NVMe drive/Velocity Architecture not reaching its full potential. Partly why we haven't seen any games running on XSX itself yet.

Last edited:

DrDamn

I have heard 3 big ones now.

Birdie has told me about the one monster he THINKS is happening and it was one of those 3 as well.

I would bet its the same one the people in these podcasts are speaking about.

I'm going to go special content and first to get content with CoD, Silent Hill and the one normally associated with Xbox? I'm thinking Elder Scrolls 6. Mass Effect was the other I considered, but EA don't always play nicely with Sony.

ksdixon

I'm getting totally lost now...

IS HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 corroborating this 750M figure exclusitivity deal from other sources, meaning it's not FoxyGames BS, or is he refereeing to big exclusive content in general, referring to the Matt/Imran Kahn quotes?

Further, on the Foxy tweet, has it been established if the deal is only to cover one game becoming exclusive, or is it one deal covering multiple games?

Finally, where's this "associated with xbox" notion coming from? I thought both FGUK and Matt/I.K.'s quotes were referring to "games that would normally be considered multiplatforms".

Last edited:

FunkMiller

What kind of accuracy rate has Golem got though? I remember all his talk about Silent Hill that came to nothing (so far, anyway).

LiquidRex

Sounds like he's been talking to some indie developers. Probably that guy on Twitter with the dolphins game. GT7 runs at 4K and 60fps. Dirt 5 a multiplat has a 120fps mode too.
Yeah it just seems strange that devs have been telling him that when Dirt 5 can run 120fps. 🤔 And the devs would know that too... All they are doing is showing a lack of understanding of the console architecture. 🤔

FunkMiller

I'm getting totally lost now...

IS HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 corroborating this 750M figure exclusitivity deal from other sources, meaning it's not FoxyGames BS, or is he refereeing to big exclusive content in general, referring to the Matt/Imran Kahn quotes?

Further, on the Foxy tweet, has it been established if the deal is only to cover one game becoming exclusive, or is it one deal covering multiple games?

He’s saying that there’s a good chance Sony have thrown a lot of money about to get exclusives, but he’s not hung his Walter White hat on the 750 million. The scuttlebutt from people close to the industry is definitely saying there are some big Sony related exclusive announcements coming down the pipe, and that they are most probably being held onto for most impact when Microsoft move on announcing Lockheart and other Xbox news.

There was a mod, in a forum I can't remember, saying there was performance issues with the XSX dev kits. But the newer dev kits should have fixed said issues. And a lot of people took that as the reason why we haven't seen anything running on Series X.

Sounds like he's been talking to some indie developers. Probably that guy on Twitter with the dolphins game. GT7 runs at 4K and 60fps. Dirt 5 a multiplat has a 120fps mode too.
Yeah, we've been hearing that both consoles will be almost identical in third party games. The only ones saying there is going to be a huge gap in resolution or framerates are the RDX gang and their followers.

Yeah it just seems strange that devs have been telling him that when Dirt 5 can run 120fps. 🤔 And the devs would know that too... All they are doing is showing a lack of understanding of the console architecture. 🤔

I won't call it FUD because I don't think he'd spread lies. I think he's talking to small time devs. The idea that the PS5 could struggle to push 1080p 60fps isn't something we should even take remotely seriously. Shuhei Yoshida said that developers have told him that PS5 is the easiest system to develop for ever.

The only way this could be true is if the developers working on the PS5 are small time with limited experience.

I think it was something to do with the NVMe drive/Velocity Architecture not reaching its full potential. Partly why we haven't seen any games running on XSX itself yet.
The mystery of why Series X hasn't being directly showcased is the last bit of suspense for me at this point. I am not an early adopter so I don't care about launch price. But I am curious that we have yet to see the new Xbox console actually run a game.

JonnyMP3

So they saw the PS5 I/O throughput numbers and shat their pants?
The Velocity Architecture, from what I read from it, is Xbox's version of GPU direct coding but it requires better GPU to memory architecture for it to really reach its full potential. And 4.8Gbs max compressed just isn't quick enough compared to the PS5's SSD with its flash controller and 12 lanes with 6 lanes that include hierarchy protocols to let the GPU extract whatever it needs from the SSD on the fly but also delete unneeded data with inbuilt hardware cache scrubbers.

Rudius

I personally have not heard the GTA 6 exclusive rumors with the people I game with.
I would hope Sony money hatted Rockstar to have GTA with VR support. It will already have first person, so it's just a matter of adaptation. Much better than literally wasting money on timed exclusives, from a player's perspective.

FunkMiller

The mystery of why Series X hasn't being directly showcased is the last bit of suspense for me at this point. I am not an early adopter so I don't care about launch price. But I am curious that we have yet to see the new Xbox console actually run a game.

Agreed. The fact we’ve still seen nothing confirmed running on Series X bizarre.
If you believe Sony that everything we’ve seen has been captured from Ps5, you have to think there’s some kind of issue with Series X, if we can’t even get a small taste of gameplay from it three months out.

Neo Blaster

.....or they could make the deals they’re making and make more $$ and draw in more customers than any of those abandoned IP.

Throwing $$ away? Hardly. There’s a reason these deals keep happening....because they work.
Yep, but I think they become harder and harder for MS to make. Just take a look at the games which they've got timed exclusivity deals, vary from small to medium studios. Given how strong Sony's brand is, big devs/publishers will always charge a lot of dough to keep their games out of PS. It's much cheaper for Xbox to pay for Gamepass inclusion.

JonnyMP3

I’m getting pretty confident we are getting a MGS remake. Kojipro won’t be involved unless it’s just a producing credit for Kojima.
I would love for Hideo to do a "Kept you waiting, huh?" parody.
He walks into a brightly lit room with a table in the I'm middle.

Says those immortal lines.

Then just throws a folder labelled 'Metal Gear Solid 6' onto the table as the camera zooms onto the title.
*chefs kiss*

hemo memo

Gold Member
750 million for timed exclusivity games would be a massive waste of money. They should invest in actual game development, or at worse buy interesting IPs instead.

PS5 will sell out because demand is very high and Sony knows that. This 750m random youtuber rumor IF (and that’s a very big IF) this rumor is true then it’ll only make matters worse. UNLESS the 1 PS5 per customer thing is true and I really hope it is.

Hmm. Interesting opinion from the dev. And what do you think?
Zero Dawn is based on the entire GPU-pipeline, where the GPU produces: procedural traverse and placement of vegetation and biomes, pointcloud generation, buffering of the word matrix of all placed objects, texture blending and filtering, and prepares primitives. All preliminary and main rendering takes place on the GPU. Further, the data buffer is already copied to the CPU to simulate gameplay, physics, and AI logic based on the data obtained. When placing objects on job0, job1 is rendered and computational shaders speed up non-graphical tasks and asynchronous calls, which is also a game load that is not typical for a PC. This is some kind of reverse rendering, quite complex, and you have to be a super programmer to make it all work like this in real time. But knowing their works for many years of experience with Cell on PS3 with its sub-inverted asynchrony and spinlocky multithreaded rendering, this is clearly a familiar thing. To put it simply, they opened the vessel with a tight neck and simply knocked out the bottom. Therefore, the PC and the problem where the CPU is always in charge, "tight neck", regardless of the task and can't work with the GPU directly, but only through calls to the driver through an abstract layer of the software interface. It's awfully slow. Of course, there are CPU-to-GPU phase initializations before biome formation and normal forwarding to rendering and reading, but they are not predominant. The phase of reverse copying and converting, according to PCI-E data on the PC, the entire pipeline is eventually interrupted and stopped periodically. It's not a crooked port, it's just that the game doesn't run on a PC, and thinks it's still on PS4.
In short, this is a direct port, where the most specific tasks were pulled through the engine, which would most likely just crush the entire code. And there are reasons for this: no one will redo such projects specifically for the PC, because it's a long time, because the whole game is rebuilt, and it's more expensive and there is a chance to break everything and fix it not improve it. PC gamers must be happy with the fact that it works at all.
But the new sony's console break balls to all of PS5 to PC ports. Any direct port of the main title from the console will require too many resources.

mejin

the only series (3rd party) I still associate with Xbox is Ninja Gaiden. Yep, I know it went full multi, but there is still a charm for it being ressurected on the original Xbox. Ninja Gaiden Black is a huge and it will always be a classic.

if Sony got NG4 as a timed or worse, as a console exclusive it would be a huge blow.

Neo Blaster

Maybe they work for you, for me they dont, I never bought one playstation console cuz they had some deal with any 3rd party, not destiny, not cod, not final fantasy. I can play those games already, why not work to bring things that aren't out there, that you cant find anywhere else?
Agreed, better use that money to fund games which wouldn't see the light of day otherwise. But let's not pretend it doesn't work just because of our feelings and perceptions, if companies keep doing it, it does work.

Neo Blaster

I was guessing at FIFA 21 exclusivity as that is literally the one game that would probably make my Xbox family get a PS5. But they could still play the current version on an Xbox via BC and just wait a year. And it wouldn’t be a good look for EA who already have it announced for XSX so scrap that idea.
It's already been announced for Xbox, exclusive content at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom