• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTCx

It doesn't really matter which definition you're trying to lock down here.

That's from an executive at Crystal Dynamics. It's quite clear that regardless of whether Sony has the game rights, SpiderMan is very much a character that Marvel has locked to PlayStation. Considering Marvel already said the future of Spiderman games are on Playstation, Spiderman is a first party game and it will only be available in the PS versions of Avengers.... well you do the math.
Yup its clear spiderman is a added feature for PS owners. People still believe theyre paid to keep spiderman locked away from other platforms. Get real lmao

He's so PC master race and literally can't hide it.
giphy.gif

Entroyp

UB5uVMF.jpg

Dictator meltdown

If only they weren't busy working their ass off on another small project on PS5 named FW....

This is it. I’ve always kept neutral when talking about DF because I like their content, and while I do think the port was not optimized appropriately for PC that guy was way too forgiving to 343i to come up with this shit. Fuck him.

As I said before, Sony shouldn’t be bothering with porting games to PC, unless they can do a great job at it or outsource it to someone else.

This is it. I’ve always kept neutral when talking about DF because I like their content, and while I do think the port was not optimized appropriately for PC that guy was way too forgiving to 343i to come up with this shit. Fuck him.

As I said before, Sony shouldn’t be bothering with porting games to PC, unless they can do a great job at it or outsource it to someone else.

No "unless". They shouldn't... zip.

Brudda26

Thing is the HZD port was outsourced to someone else, virtuos.

GRIEVEZ

Why is it the fud that was spread about PS5 are actual XSX problems. Those guys were projecting??

I was told 52 cu's And all that power. I was told XSX will have the ray tracing advantage. Yet RT is getting removed out of a walking sim game that has showed no dynamic actions,no fighting, no action rolls,no jumping. straight walking.

Whats going on here.?? No captured on XSX footage to date. Patching in RT, Removing RT. The XSX is looking spooky.
Xbox has no RT games at launch?? They told me all the power, Better RT, 52 CU's. Where is the RT in XSX??

@48:40 (I dont know how to timestamp)

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned

Yep, all true. You can see it for yourself, look at the page now (link) and how it looked originally thanks to the Wayback Machine (link).

I don't know why of all things they would drop ray tracing specifically, unless there are specific implementation issues with those due to issues with either the devkits, the APIs or the hardware itself.

There is a wider implication though, which is that when Microsoft originally said the game would have ray tracing, they were most likely basing it on hopes and not on tangible results. Which is pretty normal for unreleased software, but since we are talking about completely new hardware here, and we have seen basically nothing actually running on it save a bunch of current gen games, I'm wondering if over the next couple of months we will find out more stuff promised for games on XSX might be silently scaled back.

Handy Fake

Yep, all true. You can see it for yourself, look at the page now (link) and how it looked originally thanks to the Wayback Machine (link).

I don't know why of all things they would drop ray tracing specifically, unless there are specific implementation issues with those due to issues with either the devkits, the APIs or the hardware itself.

There is a wider implication though, which is that when Microsoft originally said the game would have ray tracing, they were most likely basing it on hopes and not on tangible results. Which is pretty normal for unreleased software, but since we are talking about completely new hardware here, and we have seen basically nothing actually running on it save a bunch of current gen games, I'm wondering if over the next couple of months we will find out more stuff promised for games on XSX might be silently scaled back.
If it was the API which they can update and fix, I doubt they'd drop the RT logo.
It's very odd, and as geordiemp geordiemp posted I'm wondering if it's an issue somewhere in the hardware and it's causing the GPU to take too much of the burden.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It doesn't really matter which definition you're trying to lock down here.

That's from an executive at Crystal Dynamics. It's quite clear that regardless of whether Sony has the game rights, SpiderMan is very much a character that Marvel has locked to PlayStation. Considering Marvel already said the future of Spiderman games are on Playstation, Spiderman is a first party game and it will only be available in the PS versions of Avengers.... well you do the math.

That's not remotely clear from that statement.

That statement means "Sony got Marvel to agree to make Spiderman exclusive to PS4 for this game."

That's it.. that's abundantly clear, because that's what happened lol

FunkMiller

UB5uVMF.jpg

Dictator meltdown

If only they weren't busy working their ass off on another small project on PS5 named FW....

Gotta love that entitlement :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's a bog standard port of a three year old game, that hasn't been improved in the slightest, designed to do nothing more than lure PC gamers onto Ps5 for Forbidden West. Guerilla were never going to put a huge amount of effort into it. I'm sure there will be more ports just like this one with other Ps4 & Ps5 games... years after they've come out on the console.

Last edited:

icerock

Virtuoso are terrible at their job, so this port is not acceptable. However, with Alex, he always seems to downplay the capabilities of a console. He spoke about the pop-in issues and speculated how it could be driven by GPU limitations.... or how the graphics look flat because of 4K resolution. During the entire presentation he did on Halo, he kept alluding to hardware being a limitation, which is obviously pure non-sense.

Yet, a bad port comes out on PC, and he has his knickers in a twist. "GTX 1050 is a lot more powerful than base PS4, it shouldn't run like this" as if, we haven't seen in the entire gen, in order to replicate the graphics of PS4 on a PC, you need a much stronger GPU than PS4s' equivalent. The things about driver overhead, efficiency, lower-level API, all seem to be an after-thought for him. He never seems to take that into context, when comparing consoles and PC. For a supposed tech-head, it's a glaring omission.

JTCx

Gotta love that entitlement :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It's a bog standard port of a three year old game, designed to do nothing more than lure Pc gamers onto Ps5 for Forbidden West. Guerilla were never going to put a huge amount of effort into it. I'm sure there will be more ports just like this one with other Ps4 & Ps5 games... years after they've come out on the console.
It look so much better than FW.

:messenger_weary:

Thirty7ven

Banned
That's not remotely clear from that statement.

That statement means "Sony got Marvel to agree to make Spiderman exclusive to PS4 for this game."

That's it.. that's abundantly clear, because that's what happened lol

what??

It’s right there man. How the hell did you end up reading that Sony went out there and made Marvel agree to Spider-Man being a PS4 exclusive in this specific game?? You created all that on your own.

IntentionalPun

what??

It’s right there man. How the hell did you end up reading that Sony went out there and made Marvel agree to Spider-Man being a PS4 exclusive in this specific game?? You created all that on your own.
You are the one creating things that aren't there.

Thirty7ven

Banned
You are the one creating things that aren't there.

The guy literally says that Sony has a say on how and where Spider-Man shows up, and talks about how they have the rights for it.

But somehow in your head it means that Crystal Dynamica were making a Game with Spider-Man and then Sony brought the cheque book to Marvel and then Marvel told Square Enix they had to make Spider-Man exclusive to PlayStation.... I feel stupid even typing this shit.

saintjules

Haven't quite made it to their store in NYC yet, but if they know the date, I'm expecting imminent pre-orders to start.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

The guy literally says that Sony has a say on how and where Spider-Man shows up, and talks about how they have the rights for it.

But somehow in your head it means that Crystal Dynamica were making a Game with Spider-Man and then Sony brought the cheque book to Marvel and then Marvel told Square Enix they had to make Spider-Man exclusive to PlayStation.... I feel stupid even typing this shit.

Not really what the sentence "that’s a relationship question that PlayStation absolutely has the rights to" means. Maybe that's what he meant, that Sony actually has the rights to Spiderman, even if he is saying that.. I'm pretty damn sure he is wrong.

And either way, whether it's an all-out agreement.. or a one time thing.. it's Sony paying to remove a character that Marvel would have certainly included otherwise, not Sony paying to add a character to a game that they wouldn't have added.

Although Sony now owns Insomniac Games, neither company has any exclusive game rights to the Spider-Man character, nor did Sony ever have said rights to begin with. Presumably, Marvel has owned the video game rights to the superhero this entire time. A temporary partnership between Sony and Marvel is what granted Sony the ability to launch Marvel’s Spider-Man as an exclusive on their own platforms. It’s likely a similar deal was orchestrated to allow Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales to launch as a PS5 exclusive. At the end of the day, it seems Marvel is the sole proprietor of the Spider-Man video game rights.

“We’ve had a long history of success with Activision, and we still have a great relationship with them. But the future of the Spider-Man console games is with Sony and Insomniac. We’re delighted about this partnership, and that’s something that’s going to continue forward. With [regard to] other console partners, stay tuned. There’s many more interesting additional things to come. But Activision is in the past, with regards to Spider-Man.”

As far as we know, it is Marvel who still holds ultimate rights to the character. Ong’s comment in 2016 suggests as much as he called it a “partnership” and also mentioned other console partners.

That’s why we can see Spider-Man appear in mobile games like Marvel Future Fight, multiplatform games like LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2, and even console-exclusive games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3: The Black Order for the Nintendo Switch. If Sony had owned his video game rights, you can bet he’d only be appearing on PlayStation.

There's a partnership in place. .maybe it makes "Spiderman Games" exclusive to Playstation... but even that's not 100% certain. It's pretty clear Sony doesn't own the rights outright as Spiderman appears in games outside of Playstation, including on consoles... and Marvel would never sell them those rights anyways.

None of this conversation even really matters.. no matter what the deal is, it's a deal to remove Spiderman from non-Playstation platforms. Whether that deal was made 5 years ago for all games, or recently just for this game doesn't really change that. Marvel isn't going to remove Spiderman from Xbox without said deal. And of course it's all well within their rights to do that.. as is Sony's.. and it's probably a good deal for both companies. That doesn't mean it's a good deal for customers.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
And either way, whether it's an all-out agreement.. or a one time thing.. it's Sony paying to remove a character that Marvel would have certainly included otherwise, not Sony paying to add a character to a game that they wouldn't have added.

There you go again, making it up. Nothing is alluding to Spider-Man being removed, quite the opposite. They had an idea and a concept for the character that they used to convince Marvel to allow it in the game but needed Sony approval nonetheless.

The guy left it pretty clear that Sony has a say. The narrative that Sony paid to remove the character is supported by nothing.

I don’t need articles from unsourced sites with nothing but speculation. Anybody who thinks Marvel and Sony made a one time deal for Spider-Man PS4, and that deal is on a game by game basis is blind by choice.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
There you go again, making it up. Nothing is alluding to Spider-Man being removed, quite the opposite. They had an idea and a concept for the character that they used to convince Marvel to allow it in the game but needed Sony approval nonetheless.

The guy left it pretty clear that Sony has a say. The narrative that Sony paid to remove the character is supported by nothing.
it is supported by IntentionalPun delusions.

IntentionalPun

It's supported by the fact the game is called Marvels Avenger's and that Spiderman is one of if not the most popular Avenger lol

"Gee guys, wow.. Sony.. great idea! Including one of the World's most popular Avenger's in an Avenger's game! Why didn't WE think of that?"

Either way this convo is getting tired as I really don't care about this particular game lol

Thirty7ven

Banned
It's supported by the fact the game is called Marvels Avenger's and that Spiderman is one of if not the most popular Avenger lol

"Gee guys, wow.. Sony.. great idea! Including one of the World's most popular Avenger's in an Avenger's game! Why didn't WE think of that?"

Uh exactly. He is the most popular Marvel character and if CD could they would’ve integrated him as a major part of the game and the story.

“But hey geez let’s get this pocket change instead and make it PlayStation exclusive!”

Hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom